/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Need help

anonymous
10-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Asslamu Aliakum

I am studying Islam and I came across an Arabic word. I am having difficulty understanding what it means.

What does idriboo mean in English? Every time I translate, I get several meanings such as beat or scorch or tap.

I'm not sure which is the correct translation.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
10-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Hello there your questions are most welcome. Are you talking about verse 4:34 by any chance? The correct meaning of Idriboo in the context of this verse is to to cite/propound, declare/mention, put/show forth, point out or indicate and not to beat or scorch.

If you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you

And Allah knows best in all matters

Woodrow
10-24-2010, 09:09 AM
It is nearly impossible to translate Arabic on a single word basis. It takes a minimum of a full sentence to grasp the context and from that under stand the meaning. In Arabic it is often best to think of a word as being just a single letter, and the full sentence as being the actual word. Arabic is usually better understood when words are written joined as if they were a single word. The concept of single word translations does not coincide with the English concept of translation.

'Abd-al Latif
10-24-2010, 09:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Asslamu Aliakum

I am studying Islam and I came across an Arabic word. I am having difficulty understanding what it means.

What does idriboo mean in English? Every time I translate, I get several meanings such as beat or scorch or tap.

I'm not sure which is the correct translation.
I assume the word you are referring to is إضربوا, the root word which is da-ra-ba ضرب . This word originally means to hit or strike but the meaning can slightly change depending upon its context. The word is just a variation of the root word.

Allah knows best. Someone who is better versed at Arabic can correct me if I'm wrong.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
10-24-2010, 11:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Hello there your questions are most welcome. Are you talking about verse 4:34 by any chance? The correct meaning of Idriboo in the context of this verse is to to cite/propound, declare/mention, put/show forth, point out or indicate and not to beat or scorch.

If you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you

And Allah knows best in all matters
No not that verse.

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It is nearly impossible to translate Arabic on a single word basis. It takes a minimum of a full sentence to grasp the context and from that under stand the meaning. In Arabic it is often best to think of a word as being just a single letter, and the full sentence as being the actual word. Arabic is usually better understood when words are written joined as if they were a single word. The concept of single word translations does not coincide with the English concept of translation.
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
I assume the word you are referring to is إضربوا, the root word which is da-ra-ba ضرب . This word originally means to hit or strike but the meaning can slightly change depending upon its context. The word is just a variation of the root word.

Allah knows best. Someone who is better versed at Arabic can correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone know a good Arabic book and dictionary? I am studying Arabic and need more books.

Woodrow
10-24-2010, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
No not that verse.

Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone know a good Arabic book and dictionary? I am studying Arabic and need more books.
Having a good teacher is probably the best way to learn. Preferably a Muslim teacher who has Arabic as a first language. In that way they would be familiar with both the Qur'anic and conversational Arabic. It is a very difficult language to learn from dictionaries as there are very few if any really accurate Arabic-English dictionaries. But as you learn you can make much use of an Arabic Dictionary written only in Arabic. Reading the definitions in Arabic makes more sense, than any translations.

'Abd-al Latif
10-25-2010, 01:55 PM
:salamext:

In addition to what Woodrow said, in case you still need a dictionary the best one I know off for Arabic to English is the Hans Wehr dictionary.

The price range for this dictionary can very from country to country but I recommend that you do not settle for the first price you see. Some places, for example in the United Kingdom, sell these dictionaries for £15, other places sell them for £10, places like eBay sell them for even less than that. So look around until you can find the cheapest price.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!