/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Car

*charisma*
10-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

I'm hoping to buy a car soon, but I don't know much about them. I already have a car currently that I share with my mom, but I really hate it. It wastes a lot of gas and it's too big (Buick LeSabre '02), I prefer smaller cars.

I'm interested in hybrid cars, but I've never experienced one or know anyone who has one, so I'm not sure if they're worth it. I do like the idea that they're fuel efficent and better for the economy and such, but are they worth it in the long run?

I'm not looking for a luxury car, i just want something that will last me 5-10 years if bought new (wouldn't mind used either), and is fuel efficient and small, and perhaps a hybrid?

Any suggestions?

Fi Aman Allah
w'salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
أحمد
10-24-2010, 10:22 PM
:sl:

I'd recommend something like this; its small and fuel efficient. More can be viewed here.

:wa:

*charisma*
10-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

That's a little too small, and I'm assuming those are more popular in the UK since you guys have smaller cars in general? I don't see cars that small around here.

^This is more the size I'd prefer. I guess in the end I'll be choosing what it's going to look like, but as far as the brand goes and the type of car, are hybrids better than regular cars in the long run?

jazak allahu khair for all your help

fi aman allah
w'salaam

أحمد
10-24-2010, 11:01 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

That's a little too small, and I'm assuming those are more popular in the UK since you guys have smaller cars in general? I don't see cars that small around here.

^This is more the size I'd prefer. I guess in the end I'll be choosing what it's going to look like, but as far as the brand goes and the type of car, are hybrids better than regular cars in the long run?

jazak allahu khair for all your help

fi aman allah
w'salaam
I personally prefer a larger family car, but yes; many eco-age Britons have purchased very small cars in the past two years. This wasn't due to the eco-friendly nature as much as it was due to the free road tax under new laws.

As for whether their better or worse; they're better for fuel efficiency, but may be at a slight disadvantage when it comes to repairs. Many garages are well prepared for older car types, but when it comes to servicing newer cars; problems do tend to arise. I had the drive belt replaced, as the old one was worn out. The new drive belt was "roughly the correct type and size", so the vehicle would make "whistling noise" whenever the rev pointer dropped below 1.5. In another car they tried to drill a hole in any random place to fix in a starter motor. It turned out they'd ordered one which is designed for a completely different car.

I wouldn't recommend buying a new car; as a new car is driven out of its showroom, it looses some of its value. Buying a used car in good condition and low mileage is usually a better option. When purchasing a car, take someone with you who knows more about cars.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
10-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

jazak allahu khair for your informative post. That was also one thing that i was wondering about, the repairs, which you already answered for me barak allahu feek.

I guess I'll just stick w/ a regular car cuz like you said mechanics are more familiar with it, and hybrids aren't as common here either but for fuel efficiency I considered them.

Inshallah khair (:

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Cabdullahi
10-25-2010, 05:31 AM
Two words: Nissan Micra

أحمد
10-25-2010, 11:01 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
Two words: Nissan Micra
Micras are just a little bigger than the very small car example given earlier.

Mr.President
10-25-2010, 02:48 PM
wt abt
suzuki swift

Cabdullahi
10-25-2010, 02:53 PM
two words : nissan micra!

Abdul-Raouf
10-25-2010, 05:45 PM
The most fuel efficient in its class...... from india.....mahindra renault logan

Gives 21km/litre - company source.

http://admin.paisawaisa.com/Forms/ca...3710906493.jpg

'Abd-al Latif
10-25-2010, 05:57 PM
:salamext:

If you want a car that will last you 5-10 years then get a German or Japanese car (VW, Nissan, Honda, Toyota etc). Cars from any other continent will feel like a heap of junk in terms of their reliability, comfort and performance (except of course super cars like Ferrari etc). From my experiences Japanese and German drive the smoothest and perform the best, not to mention they look better than most cars.

أحمد
10-27-2010, 07:30 PM

VW Passats generally very good cars; reasonably comfortable for hours of driving and don't waste too much fuel. Passats are amongst the favourable cars for many British transport workers.

Golfs are a little smaller than Passats, but bigger than Polos.

Ford Mondeo is another good alternative.

All three of the above cars have a good level of parts availability in many countries.

أحمد
10-27-2010, 07:34 PM

In the long term, hybrids are better. For now their parts availability isn't as high as standard petrol/diesel cars. The main area of concern is if your local mechanics don't know about their parts and maintenance.

I wouldn't recommend you buy a Fiat or Renault; the simple reason being that they simply don't last as long as many other cars. German cars are the best overall if you want something that will last; Japanese cars are also very good.

*charisma*
10-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Jazakum Allah Khair for all of your suggestions, they were very helpful and I'll be taking them into consideration bi'idhnillah

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!