/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I think I broke an oath

Aishath
10-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Assalaamu alaykum,

I repented to Allah a lot after committing a sin and made the intention never to repeat it again. However, I became weak and committed that sin and once again repented to Allah and made that same intention again. As I know, that is the right thing to do, because every time I do repent, I do firmly make up my mind never to repeat it and not to go back into it and I do stay away from that sin much better than i ever did before. However, after i first repented to Allah and committed the sin again I was feeling so bad about it thinking God won't accept the repentance again and then I thought to myself that if I ever do commit the sin again then Allah won't accept my repentance and this will be the last time and all sorts of thoughts like that. I know I shouldn't have thought like that but I'm really worried that when I was making Dua's and repenting to Allah, I said it out loud or made an oath to never commit such a sin again and now I've done it again. I can't really remember if I said it out loud because at the time I didn't know that Allah would accept repentance for the same sin again and I was trying to justify it all really.

Having said all this, I am an extremely paranoid person as most of you on these forums would know and so I know that I won't get any peace of mind if I don't assume the worst and 'fix' what i've done.

So please help me. If I did say it out loud or made an oath in Allah's name this means I have obviously broken it. What does one need to do? Also, what does one do if they can't remember if they did say it out loud or not because quite often shaytan does spread his waswas really.

Secondly, if I did have a thought that Allah won't or doesn't need to accept my repentance if I commit this same sin for the third time and then want to repent for it again, what do i do?

I'd just like to say that this is not about drinking because I am familiar about the verse in the Quran (or maybe Prophet Muhammad's Hadith) about drinking and repentence.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yanal
10-24-2010, 11:56 PM
:sl:

If you have broken an oath you should feed ten poor men for two times with their hearts content,in case you cannot fulfill that,you should keep three fasts continously without any interval,if anyone of these fasta re missed,you shall have to keep three fasts.

tango92
10-25-2010, 05:27 AM
sis the doors of mercy are always open. i think thats enough. having said that, thinking "ill commit sin x then repent" will not roll. you should make repentance for thinking such things.
so anyway try not to get onto a slippery slope, you should be abstaining from this sin for longer and longer lengths of time with a view to quickly ending it permanently.

also a last bit of advice. i wish somebody would have told me this a long time ago. in Islam, if we are true believers, we cannot say we have enough knowledge or that we are righteous enough to enter jannah. you either increase in knowledge and taqwa or watch it slip away from you either slowly or quickly. i dont know you personally so forgive me if i make no sense. find a trusted person/source where you can find spiritual/practical guidance in line with islam. and also increase in knowledge, and also encounter some of the many signs of Allah. (just a little a day will suffice especially as your so new in islam)

watch some videos of bro nouman ali khan on youtube, eg: divine speech. (i know it can be really cumbersome to make the effort but trust me he's very good 4 advice)

so yh keep pushing 4ward inshallah

Aishath
10-25-2010, 11:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
If you have broken an oath you should feed ten poor men for two times with their hearts content,in case you cannot fulfill that,you should keep three fasts continously without any interval,if anyone of these fasta re missed,you shall have to keep three fasts.

With regards to breaking an oath, once we offer expiation does that mean the oath is no more? For instance if someone makes an Oath to never smoke again and then does so, and after that offers expiation. Does that mean he has to keep on offering expiation EVERY time he smokes if he never renewed that oath after offering expiatioN?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Aishath
10-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Also, what do I do if I can't be certain i made an oath. Do I have to assume I did make an oath or am I to assume that I didn't? I can't remember at all whether I said it out loud and made an oath or if it were just a random thought

tango92
10-25-2010, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aileen
Also, what do I do if I can't be certain i made an oath. Do I have to assume I did make an oath or am I to assume that I didn't? I can't remember at all whether I said it out loud and made an oath or if it were just a random thought
dont drive yourself crazy first of all. ill ask a knowledgeable imam 4 u inshallah. watch this space

Aishath
10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
dont drive yourself crazy first of all. ill ask a knowledgeable imam 4 u inshallah. watch this space

Alhamdulillah, thank you so much brother :)

Hamza Asadullah
10-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Assalaamu alaykum,

I repented to Allah a lot after committing a sin and made the intention never to repeat it again. However, I became weak and committed that sin and once again repented to Allah and made that same intention again. As I know, that is the right thing to do, because every time I do repent, I do firmly make up my mind never to repeat it and not to go back into it and I do stay away from that sin much better than i ever did before. However, after i first repented to Allah and committed the sin again I was feeling so bad about it thinking God won't accept the repentance again and then I thought to myself that if I ever do commit the sin again then Allah won't accept my repentance and this will be the last time and all sorts of thoughts like that. I know I shouldn't have thought like that but I'm really worried that when I was making Dua's and repenting to Allah, I said it out loud or made an oath to never commit such a sin again and now I've done it again. I can't really remember if I said it out loud because at the time I didn't know that Allah would accept repentance for the same sin again and I was trying to justify it all really.

Having said all this, I am an extremely paranoid person as most of you on these forums would know and so I know that I won't get any peace of mind if I don't assume the worst and 'fix' what i've done.

So please help me. If I did say it out loud or made an oath in Allah's name this means I have obviously broken it. What does one need to do? Also, what does one do if they can't remember if they did say it out loud or not because quite often shaytan does spread his waswas really.

Secondly, if I did have a thought that Allah won't or doesn't need to accept my repentance if I commit this same sin for the third time and then want to repent for it again, what do i do?

I'd just like to say that this is not about drinking because I am familiar about the verse in the Quran (or maybe Prophet Muhammad's Hadith) about drinking and repentence.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Asalaamu Alaikum, My sister if you really do think that you broke an oath to Allah when you made dua to him about refraining from a certain sin and you are sure it is not just waswas from shaythan who is trying to make you paranoid then you will have to do kaffara.

According to Shaykh Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf Mangera: Only the one kaffara is necessary for you in this case. For instance, if your oath was to make your five daily prayers, and you said something like, "By Allah, I will observe my five daily prayers," then by missing a prayer you would have to make an expiation (kaffara).

Once you have done so then your oath is complete and has ended. Therefore, if you miss any prayer again you would not have to pay another kaffara, even though missing prayers obviously remains a sinful act.

Furthermore, even if your oath was in the negative, for instance you said, "By Allah I will never miss a prayer," then upon missing a prayer and paying a kaffara your oath will end as well. Any prayers subsequently missed will not necessitate another kaffara, unless you made another oath after the first kaffara.

It states in the al-Durr al-Mukhtar of 'Allama Haskafi:

"If one took an oath not do such and such", then he must refrain from "it forever." then if he does what he had [sworn not to do] he will have broken his oath, and his oath will now be ended. What has been mentioned in Sharh al-Majma' that the oath will not end is an error. Hence, if he was to do the thing again [which he had sworn not to do] he will not be considered as having broken an oath, except in the case of [using the term] kullama [i.e. "every time" or "each time" as part of the oath]."

If one swore that he will surely do such-and-such, and then does it once, he is freed from his oath." (al-Durr al-Mukhtar 3:135).

One more point to remember is that one can only resort to fasting three days for the kaffara if unable to do any of the following:

1. Freeing a slave

2. Clothing ten poor people, giving each of them one garment or more. [Please review previous answers for more details on this]

3. Feeding ten poor people two meals each.

Only when incapable of observing the above can one resort to fasting three days.

Next time my sister try to refrain from making an oath to Allah about any matter as according to Reliance of the Traveller, a Shafi'i fiqh manual, breaking a promise counts as a probable enormity. [Reliance, p.75.15] Obviously, it is not advisable to make an oath or promise one cannot keep. Hope that helped inshallah.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Taken from: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...ID=470&CATE=12

Yanal
10-26-2010, 12:21 AM
With regards to breaking an oath, once we offer expiation does that mean the oath is no more? For instance if someone makes an Oath to never smoke again and then does so, and after that offers expiation. Does that mean he has to keep on offering expiation EVERY time he smokes if he never renewed that oath after offering expiatioN?
:sl:

I am not aware of what one should do,insha'Allaah ask your local Imaam,insha'Allaah he will be able to help.

Aishath
10-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Assalaamu alaykum,

I keep getting thoughts of oaths that I know i can't keep in my head all the time. One such oath was along the lines of that if I can't do this before I die, then I am to go to hell and it was thought in terms of swearing by Allah. And this thought occurred to me while I was reciting Quran as well and it was linked in with reciting the Quran. I dismissed it and kept on reciting but the rest of the time, i was troubled by this thought and it is scaring me that it was a real oath. It was never said out loud and I definitely don't want to make such an oath esp when regarding the timing of death and such serious matters. What should i do? Is this just waswas?

In order for something to be an oath, are there any conditions that need to be met such as saying it out loud etc?

tango92
10-27-2010, 08:13 PM
salaam sis. regarding your question about an oath broken several times. you only need to make up for having broken the oath once. if you do the action that breaks the oath again you dont have to make up for it.

tango92
10-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Assalaamu alaykum,

I keep getting thoughts of oaths that I know i can't keep in my head all the time. One such oath was along the lines of that if I can't do this before I die, then I am to go to hell and it was thought in terms of swearing by Allah. And this thought occurred to me while I was reciting Quran as well and it was linked in with reciting the Quran. I dismissed it and kept on reciting but the rest of the time, i was troubled by this thought and it is scaring me that it was a real oath. It was never said out loud and I definitely don't want to make such an oath esp when regarding the timing of death and such serious matters. What should i do? Is this just waswas?

In order for something to be an oath, are there any conditions that need to be met such as saying it out loud etc?
i think this is just waswasa. if you genuinely meant the oaths then its a different story. but its best to ignore it because i dont think its stemming from your rational brain, theyre just random thoughts. shaytaan knows what buttons to push to try to pull you of the path.

You might be very scared of these thoughts but inshallah youll realise the plan of shaytaan is weak and his arguments are refuted quickly. just keep asking questions, members are always here for you.

Aishath
10-27-2010, 10:19 PM
i think this is just waswasa. if you genuinely meant the oaths then its a different story. but its best to ignore it because i dont think its stemming from your rational brain, theyre just random thoughts. shaytaan knows what buttons to push to try to pull you of the path.

Thank you. I'm so so scared now. Before tonight, with any other paranoid doubts I had about 'oaths' I thought I took, it didn't shake me this much. I don't actually know what to do or think because this is all I can think about. The thought that came to my head whilst I was reciting Quran was just so evil - in the sense, that how could I ever have had a thought that if I can't accomplish something before I die, I can go to hell and I thought this in the name of God too. It scares me to write it and I haven't mentioned it to anyone but I'm writing it here because I really need opinions :(

This can't be an oath though can it? Should I just ignore it? I was so scared when the thought entered my head, I couldn't even concentrate on reciting Quran. I keep feeling like I've somehow just ruined any chances of Jannah and that I am not worthy of anything, even praying to Allah and I know that this is what shaytan wants me to think but I'm just scared now.

Can someone please tell me whether it is necessary for an oath to be uttered by the tongue in order for it to be a valid oath? I suffer from shaytan waswas a lot and I've experienced different kinds but this is completely new. I keep randomly getting thoughts of swearing something in the name of Allah just because I know the severity of such oaths now and it is scaring me a lot.

Aishath
10-27-2010, 10:22 PM
What's even worse is that I am such a paranoid person and now I keep getting thoughts such as , oh you thought it on purpose so it is a valid oath. I tend to be very paranoid and if any of you are like that, you know how it can just take over you. I really am scared now because I feel like I thought such a n oath on purpose and insha Allah I didn't say it out loud but i dont know what to do. THe logical part of me is telling me that it was was a random thought, a waswas but every other part of me is too worried to think straight i think

tango92
10-28-2010, 09:08 PM
What's even worse is that I am such a paranoid person and now I keep getting thoughts such as , oh you thought it on purpose so it is a valid oath. I tend to be very paranoid and if any of you are like that, you know how it can just take over you. I really am scared now because I feel like I thought such a n oath on purpose and insha Allah I didn't say it out loud but i dont know what to do. THe logical part of me is telling me that it was was a random thought, a waswas but every other part of me is too worried to think straight i think
islam is all about logic. dont let shaytaan pull you to extremes, soon he may try to make you so complacent you dont take any of your oaths seriously. if i was you i would make a covenant with Allah swt that any oath you make must be written down. after all if we are punished for any random thought then we would probably go crazy.

Aishath
10-28-2010, 09:52 PM
I know :( i hate how paranoid I can get

Should I just ignore that thought as waswas since I did not say it out loud, or mean to think it really? DOes it have to be said out loud to be an oath cz I read that somewhere? How do I make a covenant with Allah (swt) about writing down oaths? Wasnt too sure about how I could do that.

tango92
10-29-2010, 08:42 PM
ok lets resolve this once and for all. i asked my local imam and he said for an oath to be valid you must initially have a resolute intention to keep that oath. so in your case i dont think any oath has been made.

peace sister

Aishath
10-30-2010, 07:13 AM
ok lets resolve this once and for all. i asked my local imam and he said for an oath to be valid you must initially have a resolute intention to keep that oath. so in your case i dont think any oath has been made.

Thank you brother :) and for all the help you have given as well regarding this matter

May Allah bless you

Aishath
11-10-2010, 09:56 AM
I was just wondering, what do we do if we are not sure we made an oath? For instance, quite often I wake up and keep snoozing the alarm and then I get up and I wonder about something like eg: i woke up at around 9.05am and thought, I'll get up at 9.15am. I don't think I said anything to make it an oath and I can't remember if I even said the words out loud. However, when I then got up at around 9.20am I was just wondering about whether I had said anything earlier. That's a really simple example but I hope it made sense. If we are not sure whether we said anything whilst half asleep, does that mean we don't think of it as a possible oath?

Hamza Asadullah
11-11-2010, 01:15 AM
I was just wondering, what do we do if we are not sure we made an oath? For instance, quite often I wake up and keep snoozing the alarm and then I get up and I wonder about something like eg: i woke up at around 9.05am and thought, I'll get up at 9.15am. I don't think I said anything to make it an oath and I can't remember if I even said the words out loud. However, when I then got up at around 9.20am I was just wondering about whether I had said anything earlier. That's a really simple example but I hope it made sense. If we are not sure whether we said anything whilst half asleep, does that mean we don't think of it as a possible oath?
Asalaamu Alaikum, my dear sister again this is clear waswas. I do know that you are a great sufferer of Waswas and inshallah you will benefit much from this E book which i have obtained for you. Please read it and act upon it inshallah:

http://islamicexorcism.files.wordpre...f-shaytaan.pdf .

And Allah knows best in all matters

Aishath
11-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Thank you brother Hamza. I just had a look at the e-book and it was actually something another moderator had sent me before when I was getting into a state about waswas. I do agree, it was extremely helpful, especially the way it was written made it an easy read. I passed it on to my sister as well and I have a saved copy on my computer as well.

Thank you

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!