PDA

View Full Version : Recollections of Childhood...



~Raindrop~
10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
:sl:

It would be interesting to see what we all got upto as children :P

Post your childhood memories in this thread, or any funny/awkward encounters with children =D
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yanal
10-26-2010, 01:24 AM
:sl:

I recall a thread with funny incidents with children,let me see if I can dig it up..
Reply

Yanal
10-26-2010, 01:44 AM
:sl:

I apologize I cannot locate it for some odd reason,however I have posted a request on the Thread Locator thread,insha'Allaah no worries if its not found,we can just continue to post our funny incidents(encounters) with children here,insha'Allaah:).
Reply

Alpha Dude
10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
zAk told me the teacher would give him chocolates and sweets everytime he got correct spellings.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
~Raindrop~
10-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Abu Ya7ya
it's about fighting :-\
Originally Posted by Bedouin
zAk told me the teacher would give him chocolates and sweets everytime he got correct spellings.
I dread to think of the state of his teeth :skeleton:

My own clearest memory (hardly surprising) is when I crashed the car when I was 9, and it ploughed through a brick wall, reducing it to rubble. :X Luckily I managed to jump out of the car before it got to the wall, and there were no pedestrians passing by at the time..Alhamdulillah.

To think I could have been responsible for killing someone at the age of 9 :exhausted
Reply

Woodrow
10-26-2010, 06:08 PM
My childhood was at a time when life was much more quiet. I best remember summer days walking barefoot down dirt roads, swimming in ice cold mountain streams, getting lost in the woods for 2 or 3 days. The first time I saw a wild bear in the woods (Later I made friends with her and named her Ambly) My Mom was furious when the bear followed me home. Give a bear a Hershy bar and it will follow you anyplace. When I got older I found out people have gotten killed trying to feed wild bears.

Yet sometimes I envy the kids of today. So much is at their disposal and there is so much for them to do. My age group only had what we could make with our own hands. Few neighbors, often learning how to make our own toys and do farm chores. But, we had the option of exploring the woods and river beds and learning about wild life. I initially liked to go hunting. But stopped hunting when I was about 15 or 16. I then found it was more enjoyable to look at a deer, then bring it home for supper.
Reply

S.Belle
10-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Aisha
My own clearest memory (hardly surprising) is when I crashed the car when I was 9, and it ploughed through a brick wall
i can relate to this instead of a car it was a riding lawnmower and i ran it into the side of our neighbor's house bc i had no clue how to stop and I screamed help at my dad but he thought i was joking.....:hiding:
Reply

Hayaa
10-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
But, we had the option of exploring the woods and river beds and learning about wild life
SubhanAllaah you're so lucky to have experienced a lifestyle that kids today are actually deprived of!




Because we're on the topic of kids, here's a hilarious Youtube vid I came across today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avUsS9EKyq0

:D
Reply

piXie
10-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Yanal
:sl:

I apologize I cannot locate it for some odd reason,however I have posted a request on the Thread Locator thread,insha'Allaah no worries if its not found,we can just continue to post our funny incidents(encounters) with children here,insha'Allaah:).
:w:

If its the thread called 'kids say the funniest things' then that was deleted on request long ago.
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Aslaamu`Alaaykum

I dont have many stories i remember from my childhood, only some :-\

i remember a funny awkward moment when one my nephews walked into a glass door and it was coincidently caught on video camera at the same moment:-\

well i do remember my mother telling me about the weird qs i asked a kid, i once asked a question about my bros/sis,, i asked my mother who they were :-\, i find that funny and awkward for some reason :-\ i was approx the age between 2 and 4, not sure :-\

Peace
Reply

Yanal
10-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by piXie
:w:

If its the thread called 'kids say the funniest things' then that was deleted on request long ago.
:sl:

Yes,it was that thread,oh,jazakAllaah khayr for informing me sister.
Reply

marwen
10-28-2010, 07:27 PM
I remember we used to play these games in childhood, in the 90s. Funny memories :rolleyes: ...





I really loved to make big collections of these stupid picture cards lol
Reply

Woodrow
10-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by marwen
I remember we used to play these games in childhood, in the 90s. Funny memories :rolleyes: ...

We had those tops when I was a kid. One of the few bought toys we could buy, they used to cost 5cents each. We used to play a game with them the object was to get as many tops of your own into a circle all spinning at the same time and to throw your tops where they would land on top of another person's top and break the other top in half if you hit it just right.
Reply

shuraimfan4lyf
10-28-2010, 08:40 PM
:sl:

I have one childhood memory I will never forget. I was bout 9 or 10 years old and my whole family(aunts, uncles etc) were going somewhere and they didnt want to take the kids as usual. So my stubborn self wanted to go or ruin their trip as well:statisfie. So I got my two cousins, and a friend to flat the car tires.:hiding: lol. I still remember our driver telling me that my dad and everyone else knows you did it,and you will be in trouble once they come back.
Reply

Muhaba
10-28-2010, 08:44 PM
I used to climb trees , along with cousins and distant cousins, and i remember being the best climber. We got into lots of trouble with adult relatives because of all the climbing we did. LOL. BTW I was the only girl climber as all my female relatives were very young, like toddler age. I also remember going to the stream with my brothers and cousins once and a kid pushed me into the stream and my head went underwater so deep that it was dark and i thought i went under the bridge that crossed the stream, but actually i hadn't. Alhamdullillah I floated back out. I could have died that day!
Reply

tango92
10-28-2010, 09:00 PM
when i was really small we lived in flats. i have two sisters one older and one younger than me. so one day we had guests over and they were joking around with me and my older sister by threatening to want to take my lil sis home with them. initially me and big sis put up a fight. then i backed down and let her handle it because she was really fired up.

so it turns out the guests are insistent that they want to take my sis home and my older sister starts crying as she admits defeat. when i saw this i knew i had to act so i picked up our plastic chair and in a display of manliness cursed and threatened the mean man in the most foul punjabi i picked up from my dad.

that taught him not to mess with me!
Reply

S.Belle
10-28-2010, 09:52 PM
when I was little I had a bunch of falling and tripping accidents....still do lol
but the funniest and more painful one had to be when we were on vacation in a log cabin.

It was time to go to sleep so the lights were out and I think I had a bad dream so I went to crawl in bed with my grandmother well the stairs were rather close to the bed and i took a wrong step trying to get to her bed and I ended up falling down every last step it was horrible because it was like a spiral staircase so i was falling in spirals and bumping my head...i thought it would never end
But it made me laugh when I finally fell to the end of them and heard my uncle say to his wife OMG! its a bear!! and she (my aunt) says will you stop chocking me so I can turn on the light.
ROFL
Reply

PouringRain
10-29-2010, 03:54 AM
The books I could write on this topic.......

When I was young I was very much as I am today....... except a bit more naive and less cynical. :)

Tonight is very cold here, so I will tell about the coldest time that I recall when I was a child. There was a time when I lived in a tiny house in Japan that had no heat or air. We used kerosene portable heaters to warm the house during the day, but at night my parents would not leave them on for fear of fire. It was so cold there. My parents would have us all cuddle under blankets in the living room on the sleeper couch to try and keep warm at nights. My mom taught me to knit, and I knit myself by a pair of slippers to help keep my feet warm. It was so cold there, but the little boys there would wear only shorts with their sweatshirt when they went to school. I was told it was to toughen them up. At dinner time we used to warm veggies and applesauce over the space heaters. It was fun. It was the only time I was allowed near the heaters. My mom was afraid they would explode. Despite the cold, I loved living there, and could tell lots of stories/ recollections.
Reply

Ramadhan
10-29-2010, 01:52 PM
I think it was when I was 4 or 5 or maybe 6. Although I cannot even remember what age I was, I still remember that particular incident very vividly.
We had two live-in nannies to take care of me and my siblings. Mind you, most middle class indonesians have nannies to take care of their children so it is nothing extravagant like in the west. I was quite stubborn kid and maybe to a point where i exasperated my mother often, and my nanny of course.
That late afternoon, around 4, as usual my nanny was supposed to bathe me. But being a quite difficult child, I kept escaping from her because I still wanted to continue playing with neighbor kids. She did everything to make me willing to take a bath, from promising to give me sweets to threatening to tell my mum about my behavior, but nothing worked.
Finally she was going to take me to have a bath whether I like it or not. Well, i didn't like it and refused to go to the shower. So she chased after me, and I kept running, and then went into our neighbor's yard. Our neighbor had a well, a deep one, in their backyard. For some reason, I thought about hiding behind the well from my nanny, but next thing I knew, i slipped, and fell into the well.
I remember falling into it, and I remember I was in the water. I couldn't swim, and what happened next was hazy.
According to what my mum told me, my nanny screamed for help, and few neighbors came, although how fast I was not sure because at 4 normally most adults would still have been in their work, and one of them got a ladder to get into the well and saved me.
I remember what's next: I was in my bed, with my mum rubbing my tummy and back with special eucalyptus and some other oil.
I saw that my mum tried to suppress her anger with me for being such a difficult kid with thankful feeling for having me saved and well.
Reply

Amoeba
10-29-2010, 02:05 PM
I remember playing alone in my room a lot.

I also remember shutting off my conscious awareness and going on autopilot. That was really weird. I don't really know how it happened, I must have been on autopilot because my mum doesn't recall me ever fainting. But I consciously made myself blank out when I was too stressed out and it was like everything went dark and I'd re-awaken at a more favourable time in a less stressful environment. But during that time between my body was still working, just my mind wasn't aware of existing. Like I'd re-awaken half-way through doing something on my feet, and not in a bed or on the floor like I would have if I had fainted.
Reply

tango92
10-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by naidamar
I think it was when I was 4 or 5 or maybe 6. Although I cannot even remember what age I was, I still remember that particular incident very vividly.
We had two live-in nannies to take care of me and my siblings. Mind you, most middle class indonesians have nannies to take care of their children so it is nothing extravagant like in the west. I was quite stubborn kid and maybe to a point where i exasperated my mother often, and my nanny of course.
That late afternoon, around 4, as usual my nanny was supposed to bathe me. But being a quite difficult child, I kept escaping from her because I still wanted to continue playing with neighbor kids. She did everything to make me willing to take a bath, from promising to give me sweets to threatening to tell my mum about my behavior, but nothing worked.
Finally she was going to take me to have a bath whether I like it or not. Well, i didn't like it and refused to go to the shower. So she chased after me, and I kept running, and then went into our neighbor's yard. Our neighbor had a well, a deep one, in their backyard. For some reason, I thought about hiding behind the well from my nanny, but next thing I knew, i slipped, and fell into the well.
I remember falling into it, and I remember I was in the water. I couldn't swim, and what happened next was hazy.
According to what my mum told me, my nanny screamed for help, and few neighbors came, although how fast I was not sure because at 4 normally most adults would still have been in their work, and one of them got a ladder to get into the well and saved me.
I remember what's next: I was in my bed, with my mum rubbing my tummy and back with special eucalyptus and some other oil.
I saw that my mum tried to suppress her anger with me for being such a difficult kid with thankful feeling for having me saved and well.
subhanallah. it reminds me of when yusuf AS was thrown into the well.

when i was around 5-10 i remember spending significant amounts of time just sitting down and thinking about the world and what i was learning about life. i think everything became too much for me from time to time, especially as each day is basically a novel experience at that age. i must have needed time to reconcile everything
Reply

S.Belle
10-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by muhaba
I used to climb trees , along with cousins and distant cousins, and i remember being the best climber. We got into lots of trouble with adult relatives because of all the climbing we did. LOL

OMG i miss climbing trees its so peaceful up there until you see mom at the bottom yelling for you to get down....good times lol
Reply

Muhaba
10-31-2010, 01:30 AM
^oh yeah, those were awesome times. childhood is such a carefree time!
Reply

S.Belle
12-06-2010, 06:20 PM
It was 4th of July and we were having a cookout, I think I was about 10 or so at the time.
My dad set up a slipping slide thingie so the kids could play in the water. I didnt want to get my glasses all wet and what not so i went throught our sunroom (it has nothing but sliding glass doors to go in/out) I left the door open and put my glasses on the table. But before I could leave my mom told me to take something to drink to my grandmother so since I was rushing to play with my friends I quickly got the iced tea. And since my mom was on a cleaning spree earlier the sliding glass door was so clean it looked open. And I ended up running full speed into the door. I had tea all over me and a knot on my forehead and im sad to say it was not the first or last time did that LOL.
Reply

aadil77
12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
My childhood was at a time when life was much more quiet. I best remember summer days walking barefoot down dirt roads, swimming in ice cold mountain streams, getting lost in the woods for 2 or 3 days. The first time I saw a wild bear in the woods (Later I made friends with her and named her Ambly) My Mom was furious when the bear followed me home. Give a bear a Hershy bar and it will follow you anyplace. When I got older I found out people have gotten killed trying to feed wild bears.

Yet sometimes I envy the kids of today. So much is at their disposal and there is so much for them to do. My age group only had what we could make with our own hands. Few neighbors, often learning how to make our own toys and do farm chores. But, we had the option of exploring the woods and river beds and learning about wild life. I initially liked to go hunting. But stopped hunting when I was about 15 or 16. I then found it was more enjoyable to look at a deer, then bring it home for supper.
bro woodrow you have had such an interesting life MashAllah, you made friends with a bear and brought it home LOL!
Reply

GuestFellow
12-06-2010, 09:41 PM
:sl:

Falling asleep in finance class? I was 18 so I know this does not count...age discrimination. <_<

I was really shy when I was little, blushed very easily. My relatives were coming to visit and I ran upstairs to hide under the bed. I was 6 years old then. I was just really shy and I'm still like that but I can't fit under the bed anymore... >_>
Reply

tigerkhan
12-07-2010, 06:54 AM
if i got time in my life will write a book on it, but i urdu. Oh its not bad idea, i can write it now as i have time..
Reply

De-TeR-mIn-Ed
12-07-2010, 08:56 PM
salaams

sum of these sound really cute...myn was a bit mre...boyish:p i used to go climb under the school fence with my brothers so i cud watch thm play crickt...dress up as a boy gosh i think i shud stop nw..im gna start cringing really badly:p
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!