/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Chaplins Time Traveller

Dagless
10-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Interesting...

Obviously there were no cell towers back then, but there are many other ways a phone could be made to work.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
10-30-2010, 11:32 AM
The video's only a few weeks old on youtube and already has 3 million hits. o_O

Woodrow
10-30-2010, 12:10 PM
:sl:

That movie was made only 12 years before I was born. It was still popular during the time I was a kid. Chaplin while being an extraordinary actor was also a very dominating director, producer and editor. He was very scrutinizing about who and what was in the films he had any part in. I believe he would have been aware of the woman which we see with an object in her hand. I am reasonably certain Chaplin would have had that done deliberately. Now I am trying to visualize what subtle joke Chaplin would have intended. Noticing the woman's hands and the way she is holding the object it looks like the woman is trying to play a harmonica with her ear and sing to the tune.

GADS could that be typical Chaplinesque Humor showing a woman "Who has an ear for Music" In 1928 that would have brought about considerable laughter to those who noticed that.

marwen
10-30-2010, 01:31 PM
It's weired ! I really can't have a clear explanation of it. May be someone who lived with the people who did the movie (or their children) could have an idea. I dunno, may be also the people who watched the movie in that time (1928) directly understood what the act means.

But there is one thing that should be mentioned : we have to remember that it was just a movie. So may be it's not meant to have a real meaning. We can't base our reasoning on a movie scene which is not real and probably not realistic, and may be a coincidence. A movie needs interpretation by its creator, to know the real meaning of its acts, not like an act of reality which is directly understood and admitted. May be if it was a reality/documentary film we could have serious thoughts about it.
May be the director wanted to represent a crazy person who talks to himself, or who is stupid enough to talk to/into a piece of something (a piece of wood or a rock), and it was meant to look funny may be. I suppose the idea of talking through a small thing was a crazy idea in that time (not like today lol) and it was just used as a joke (who knows how did jokes look like in the past LOL).
So we don't need to seriously think that one person in that time used a mobile phone/device, or really knows what mobile phones are.

Another unlikely possibility is that : it could be that, in the twenties of the last century, it was a dream that people can invent one day in the future a "wireless phone", as the wired phone was invented years ago (since the 1870s) and may be they were dreaming to have one day a wire independent (mobile) phone as an improvement to the wired phone. You know people always dream of new inventions, like the space cars or teleportation that we see in sci-fi movies. May be Chaplin wanted to present a science fiction scene in his movie. It could be his own scientific prediction of what could happen in the future, as he was a very intelligent person. And maybe that dream of mobile phones stayed untill today when people achieved that dream.

Another possibility which is unlikely to happen too is, that a malicious person collected all the original copies of that movie and changed it with a scene newly made.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
10-30-2010, 01:43 PM
OOOps, most logical explanation. the woman was using a 1924 Sieman's Hearing aide, like the man in this picture is doing.

Check this Sieman's page: http://hearing.siemens.com/sg/10-abo....jsp?year=1924

Dagless
10-30-2010, 01:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
But there is one thing that should be mentioned : we have to remember that it was just a movie. So may be it's not meant to have a real meaning. We can't base our reasoning on a movie scene which is not real and probably not realistic, and may be a coincidence. A movie needs interpretation by its creator, to know the real meaning of its acts, not like an act of reality which is directly understood and admitted. May be if it was a reality/documentary film we could have serious thoughts about it.
May be the director wanted to represent a crazy person who talks to himself, or who is stupid enough to talk to/into a piece of something (a piece of wood or a rock), and it was meant to look funny may be. I suppose the idea of talking through a small thing was a crazy idea in that time (not like today lol) and it was just used as a joke (who knows how did jokes look like in the past LOL).
So we don't need to seriously think that one person in that time used a mobile phone/device, or really knows what mobile phones are.

Another unlikely possibility is that : it could be that, in the twenties of the last century, it was a dream that people can invent one day in the future a "wireless phone", as the wired phone was invented years ago (since the 1870s) and may be they were dreaming to have one day a wire independent (mobile) phone as an improvement to the wired phone. You know people always dream of new inventions, like the space cars or teleportation that we see in sci-fi movies. May be Chaplin wanted to present a science fiction scene in his movie. It could be his own scientific prediction of what could happen in the future, as he was a very intelligent person. And maybe that dream of mobile phones stayed untill today when people achieved that dream.

Another possibility which is unlikely to happen too is, that a malicious person collected all the original copies of that movie and changed it with a scene newly made.
It was not a movie scene. The footage was taken outside the theatre before the premiere.

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
OOOps, most logical explanation. the woman was using a 1924 Sieman's Hearing aide, like the man in this picture is doing.

This was mentioned in the comments for the youtube video too but does not explain why the woman was talking into it or the size and shape difference.

marwen
10-30-2010, 01:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

^^ True ! I think it's the most close explanation. Although the hearing device is used to hear sounds not to talk in it lol, but the woman in the movie was talking in the device. May be she was trying if it works properly ;D. Or may be she was a crazy lady talking to herself : A crazy lady with hearing problems too, so she needs a hearing aid device even when she talks to herself ;D lol

marwen
10-30-2010, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
It was not a movie scene. The footage was taken outside the theatre before the premiere.
Ah ok. That keeps only few possibilities.

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
This was mentioned in the comments for the youtube video too but does not explain why the woman was talking into it or the size and shape difference.
May be she was reciting a song or trying to memorize some text, so she needs to hear herself.

Woodrow
10-30-2010, 03:14 PM
While it is impossible to prove a negative, I can not prove time travel is impossible. But physics does prove that matter can not be created nor destroyed through natural laws and the same object can not be in the same place at one time. A person traveling from one time to another would violate those laws as the atoms the person is made of would be in existence at the time traveled to, but in different locations. To have time travel you would have to find a way around the problem of having the same matter in 2 places at the same time.

As for the woman talking she could be speaking to somebody not in view. The object she is holding is not distinctly visible, hard to tell what it's actual size and shape is. I think the hearing aide is the most probable explanation. Just my opinion.

Woodrow
10-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Also they were other makes of hearing aids at the time which were different shape from the Siemans, such as this 1924 Ardente, the earphone could be held in place by hand or a removable head band.

SOURCE

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!