/* */

PDA

View Full Version : obsession

anonymous
11-01-2010, 01:56 AM
I have a strange obsession which I am utterly ashamed to admit to even under anonymous. It started from a very young age and I think it is a form of shirk but I can't stop it. It started as a way to quell myself from difficult questions that I had no answer to. It centers around games of chance, if I win three times in a row I believe something good will happen, of course you can imagine my bad mood and dilemma when I lose as I keep playing and playing. I also use eight balls and such. I never play for money but just to buy me some comfort time. I find nothing comforting and I have tried to stop, I asked Allah to enable me to stop. I even use these games and ask in the name of God will such and such happen I feel really ashamed not to mention superstitious no one else knows about this. I don't know how to stop as I have always so many questions that I don't know the answer to, and want an answer to.

Please tell me how I can buy hope without resorting to this, and more importantly how to stop.

jzk

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
11-01-2010, 04:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
I have a strange obsession which I am utterly ashamed to admit to even under anonymous. It started from a very young age and I think it is a form of shirk but I can't stop it. It started as a way to quell myself from difficult questions that I had no answer to. It centers around games of chance, if I win three times in a row I believe something good will happen, of course you can imagine my bad mood and dilemma when I lose as I keep playing and playing. I also use eight balls and such. I never play for money but just to buy me some comfort time. I find nothing comforting and I have tried to stop, I asked Allah to enable me to stop. I even use these games and ask in the name of God will such and such happen I feel really ashamed not to mention superstitious no one else knows about this. I don't know how to stop as I have always so many questions that I don't know the answer to, and want an answer to.

Please tell me how I can buy hope without resorting to this, and more importantly how to stop.

jzk
Asalaamu Alaikum, Just for some clarification what exactly is this game you are referring to?

Rafeeq
11-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Is that sort of gambling?
Zikr has the peace of heart as Allah says in Quran.
Allah only helps those who help themselves. Start going towards Allah & he will be there to welcome you.

anonymous
11-01-2010, 10:09 AM
card games mostly like solitaire and others that can be played alone.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
11-04-2010, 01:21 AM
card games mostly like solitaire and others that can be played alone.
Asalaamu Alaikum, then surely this is a form of shirk which is very similar to the belief in astrology or trying to determine destiny from the constellation of the stars.

Those who practise astrology are in disbelief (Kufr) because they claim knowledge of the future which is know only to Allah.

By attributing to themselves some of Allah's divine qualities of knowledge, they falsely offer those who believe in them an opportunity to avoid harm which Allah has destined for them and to gain good which Allah has not destined for them.

Astrology is also classified as Haraam (forbidden) based on the Hadeeth of Ibn 'Abbaas in which the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, "Whoever acquires knowledge of any branch of astrology, has acquired knowledge of a branch of magic.The more he increases in that knowledge, the more he increases in sin." (Sunan Abu Dawud, Vol. 3,p. 1095,no. 3896)

Not only is the practice of astrology Haraam (forbidden) as mentioned earlier, but also visiting an astrologist and listening to his predictions, buying books on astrology or reading one's horoscope are also forbidden! Since astrology is mainly used for predicting the future, those who practise it are considered fortunetellers. Consequently, one who seeks his horoscope comes under the ruling contained in the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) statement:"The Salaah(prayer) of whoever approaches a fortuneteller and asks him about anything will not be accepted for forty days and nights". (Sahih Muslim,Vol. 4,p, 1211,no. 5540)

If one is in doubt about the truth or falsehood of astrological information, he is in doubt about whether or not others know the unseen and the future besides Allah.This is a form of Shirk(i.e.associating partners with God, associating divine qualities to men etc) because Allah has clearly stated:

"With Him are the keys to the unseen and none knows it except Him".The Holy Qur'an, Chapter 6, Verse 59
"Say: None in the heavens or earth knows the unseen except Allah." The Holy Qur'an, Chapter 27, Verse 65

If, however, one believes in the predictions of their horoscope, whether spoken by an astrologist or written in books of astrology, he falls directly into Kufr (disbelief) as stated by the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) "Whoever approaches an oracle or fortuneteller and believes in what he says, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad." (Sunan Abu Dawud,Vol. 3,p. 1095,no. 3895)

The ignorant believe that if they know what is in store for them tomorrow, they can prepare from today.In that way they may avoid the bad and ensure the good.Yet, Allah's messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) was told by Almighty Allah to say,

"If I knew the unseen, I would surely have only sought the good.But, I am only a warner and a bearer of glad tidings for believers." The Holy Qur'an, Chapter 7, Verse 188

True Muslims are therefore obliged to stay far away from these areas.

Taken from: http://islam.thetruecall.com/modules...article&sid=89

Therefore you must refrain from this evil practice of shirk immediatley and repent sincerely with remorse that you will never repeat such an action again. You should fear Allah lest you died after doing such evil without repenting sincerely. Destiny ONLY lies with Allah and not in such games or stars. Know that this is the evil work of shaythan so stop it immediatley and return to Allah and strive to please him from now on striving to go towards him and close to him.

And Allah knows best in all matters

anonymous
11-04-2010, 07:49 PM
would you agree that God can give us signs otherwise though we maynot be seeking them? if so what kind of signs should we look for to answer our questions? dreams or what?
please advise and thank you for your reply it is appreciated.

Hamza Asadullah
11-04-2010, 08:07 PM
would you agree that God can give us signs otherwise though we maynot be seeking them? if so what kind of signs should we look for to answer our questions? dreams or what?
please advise and thank you for your reply it is appreciated.
Asalaamu Alaikum, can you give me some examples please of what you mean? Jazakallah

anonymous
11-04-2010, 08:40 PM
for instance you are anticipating something or thinking about something and then happen to hear a verse like thisوَبَشِّرِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ
[Pickthal 2:223] Give glad tidings to believers

can you take that as a good omen or a response to what you were asking?

Muhaba
11-04-2010, 10:30 PM
^No you can't and you shouldn't otherwise, it might become a problem even. for example someone is making a sin and all of sudden he remembers an ayah that is about jannah, and he has the belief that it means he will go to jannah, he'll may be misled and will continue making sins. on the other hand a person tries his/her best to do righteous deeds and stay away from sins but remembers a verse about Hell or Wraths of Allah, the person might get discouraged thinking that the verses is for them. or in your case for example you think that the verse is a response to some question and you do what you think that the verse is telling you to do without thinking about the issue, this can make you do something wrong. Allah's Book isn't for this purpose. Allah's Book is to be followed according to the way the Prophet (SAW) followed it.

The correct thing to do is to follow a verse of the Quran is to look at the whole context, the commentary, and any hadith related to the verse. just taking a verse out of context and applying it on some situation can make a person go astray.

If you want to know whether you should do something or not, then the right thing to do is praying the istikhara prayer.

anonymous
11-05-2010, 02:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
No you can't and you shouldn't

please evince your opinion from the Qur'an and Sunnah like Hamzah

thanks

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!