/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol 'more harmful than heroin' says Prof David Nutt

Zico
11-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Alcohol is more harmful than heroin or crack, according to a study published in medical journal the Lancet.

The report is co-authored by Professor David Nutt, the former UK chief drugs adviser who was sacked by the government in October 2009.

It ranks 20 drugs on 16 measures of harm to users and to wider society.

Gavin Partington, of the Wine and Spirit Trade Association, said alcohol abuse affected "a minority" who needed "education, treatment and enforcement".

The study also said tobacco and cocaine are judged to be equally harmful, while ecstasy and LSD are among the least damaging.

Harm score

Prof Nutt refused to leave the drugs debate when he was sacked from his official post by the former Labour Home Secretary, Alan Johnson.

He went on to form the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs, a body which aims to investigate the drug issue without any political interference.

One of its other members is Dr Les King, another former government adviser who quit over Prof Nutt's treatment.

Members of the group, joined by two other experts, scored each drug for harms including mental and physical damage, addiction, crime and costs to the economy and communities.

The BBC's home editor, Mark Easton, writes in his blog that the study involved 16 criteria, including a drug's affects on users' physical and mental health, social harms including crime, "family adversities" and environmental damage, economic costs and "international damage".

The modelling exercise concluded that heroin, crack and methylamphetamine, also known as crystal meth, were the most harmful drugs to individuals, but alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine were the most harmful to society.

When the scores for both types of harm were added together, alcohol emerged as the most harmful drug, followed by heroin and crack.
'Valid and necessary'

The findings run contrary to the government's long-established drug classification system, but the paper's authors argue that their system - based on the consensus of experts - provides an accurate assessment of harm for policy makers.

"Our findings lend support to previous work in the UK and the Netherlands, confirming that the present drug classification systems have little relation to the evidence of harm," the paper says.

"They also accord with the conclusions of previous expert reports that aggressively targeting alcohol harms is a valid and necessary public health strategy."

In 2007, Prof Nutt and colleagues undertook a limited attempt to create a harm ranking system, sparking controversy over the criteria and the findings.

The new more complex system ranked alcohol three times more harmful than cocaine or tobacco. Ecstasy was ranked as causing one-eighth the harm of alcohol.

It also contradicted the Home Office's decision to make so-called legal high mephedrone a Class B drug, saying that alcohol was five times more harmful. The rankings have been published to coincide with a conference on drugs policy, organised by Prof Nutt's committee.

'Extraordinary lengths'

Prof Nutt told the BBC: "Overall, alcohol is the most harmful drug because it's so widely used.

"Crack cocaine is more addictive than alcohol but because alcohol is so widely used there are hundreds of thousands of people who crave alcohol every day, and those people will go to extraordinary lengths to get it."

He said it was important to separate harm to individuals and harm to society.

The Lancet paper written by Prof Nutt, Dr King and Dr Lawrence Phillips, does not examine the harm caused to users by taking more than one drug at a time.

Mr Partington, who is the spokesman for the Wine and Spirit Trade Association, said millions of people enjoyed alcohol "as part of a regular and enjoyable social drink".

"Clearly alcohol misuse is a problem in the country and our real fear is that, by talking in such extreme terms, Professor Nutt and his colleagues risk switching people off from considering the real issues and the real action that is needed to tackle alcohol misuse," he said.

"We are talking about a minority. We need to focus policy around that minority, which is to do with education, treatment and enforcement."

A Home Office spokesman said: "Our priorities are clear - we want to reduce drug use, crack down on drug-related crime and disorder and help addicts come off drugs for good."

Source Here!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Samiro
11-01-2010, 04:32 PM
And yet people still wonder why its haram.

أحمد
11-01-2010, 05:03 PM
:sl:

For the past few centuries, its been a known fact that alcohol is harmful. The problem lies in "valued" position in the market; this is why any report of it being harmful is usually followed by excuses of "limiting the intake to a moderate amount".

As long as stupidity rules; there'll always be room for excuses to keep khamr in the market.

:wa:

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Is smoking weed/cannabis is also forbidden in Islam? :? May be I get this doubt because it is listed above.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
5alim
11-01-2010, 05:42 PM
right...........

Najm
11-01-2010, 08:05 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Here's quick clip from Prof David Nutt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8304655.stm
FiAmaaniAllah

Ramadhan
11-02-2010, 07:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid
Is smoking weed/cannabis is also forbidden in Islam? :? May be I get this doubt because it is listed above.

Weed/mariuana/cannabis is haraam.

From Islamqa:

\Is it harm to smoke weed (Marijuana) occasionally especially when stressed out?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Hasheesh of all types is haraam, whether it is marijuana or any other type.

Al-‘Allaamah Ibn Hajar al-Haythami said in al-Fataawa al-Fiqhiyyah (4/233), speaking of hasheeh:

The evidence for its being forbidden is the report narrated by Ahmad in his Musnad and by Abu Dawood in his Sunan with a saheeh isnaad from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade all kinds of intoxicants and relaxants. The scholars said that relaxants are things that cause drowsiness and languor in the limbs. This hadeeth indicates that hasheesh in particular is haraam, because it intoxicates and relaxes, which is why those who consume it sleep a great deal. Al-Qaraafi and Ibn Taymiyah narrated that there is scholarly consensus that it is haraam and said: The one who regards it as permissible is a kaafir. He said: The only reason why the four imams (may Allaah have mercy on them) did not speak of it is that it was not known at their time, rather it only appeared at the end of the sixth century AH and the beginning of the seventh century when the Tatar state emerged. End quote.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Fataawa al-Kubra (3/425): Consuming this hasheesh in solid form is haraam, and it is one of the most evil of haraam plants, whether a little of it is consumed or a lot. End quote.

Consuming intoxicants is haraam regardless of the way in which they are consumed.

Al-‘Allaamah Ibn Qaasim al-Shaafa’i said: What is meant by the drinker is the consumer, whether it is drunk or consumed otherwise, whether there is consensus on its being forbidden or there is a difference of opinion concerning that, and whether it is solid or liquid, cooked or raw. End quote.

Sharee’ah only forbids the consumption of drugs and intoxicants because of the great harm that they cause to the mind, soul, family and society. We have discussed some of these harmful effects in the answer to question no. 66227.

As for stress and anxiety, you may rest assured that the remedy for them is not to be found in smoking hasheesh or any other haraam thing. Allaah has not put the remedy of this ummah in that which He has forbidden to it. In Saheeh Muslim (3670) it says that asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about alcohol and he forbade him or told him not to make it. He said: “But I make it as a remedy.” He said: “It is not a remedy, it is a disease.”

If you want to rid yourself of anxiety, then we advise you to do several things, including the following:

1- Pray a great deal for forgiveness with proper presence of mind.

2- Do wudoo’ and pray, for these are the greatest means of helping oneself to be patient in dealing with hardship and dispelling worry.

3- Remember Allaah a great deal (dhikr), because this is a sure way to attain peace of mind and tranquillity.

4- Send a great deal of blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). In Sunan al-Tirmidhi (2381) it is narrated that Ubayy (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I said: O Messenger of Allaah, I send a great deal of blessings upon you. How much of my du’aa’ should I make for you? He said: “Whatever you wish.” I said: One-quarter? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: One half? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: Two-thirds? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: I will make all my du’aa’ for you. He said: “Then your worries will be taken care of and your sins will be forgiven.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi.

This is in addition to avoiding the causes of stress and anxiety as much as possible. If the source of this anxiety and stress is worry about the future, such as how you will learn a living and so on, then you must think in positive terms of Allaah and sincerely put your trust in Him. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whosoever puts his trust in Allaah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allaah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allaah has set a measure for all things”

[al-Talaaq 65:3]

May Allaah help us and you to do all good.

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-02-2010, 08:11 AM
^ Okay. Jazakallah for your reply. It was really helpful. But I want something to be cleared. I know listening to music is haram but lesser when compared to adultery which is also haram. So where does consumption of intoxicants stand in terms of haram?

Woodrow
11-02-2010, 02:41 PM
^ Okay. Jazakallah for your reply. It was really helpful. But I want something to be cleared. I know listening to music is haram but lesser when compared to adultery which is also haram. So where does consumption of intoxicants stand in terms of haram?

I am having trouble in comprehending what you mean here. It is not any fault of your writing, just my conceptualization.

I personally do not distinguish levels of haram. When something is haram, it is haram. there is no justification in saying one haram thing is less haram than another. Haram is haram, it is forbidden. No need to think or assume that it is ok to do anything haram on occasion, because it is less haram than something else.

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Sins have levels, there are major and minor sins. Shirk, adultery and being undutiful to one's parents are the three major sins reported in Hadeeth. There are also levels in Imaan, we experience rise and fall of Imaan. Also there are levels of virtues. So why doesn't haraam has levels?
Please forgive me if I said something wrong. I know I may sound novice for some.

Woodrow
11-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Sins have levels, there are major and minor sins. Shirk, adultery and being undutiful to one's parents are the three major sins reported in Hadeeth. There are also levels in Imaan, we experience rise and fall of Imaan. Also there are levels of virtues. So why doesn't haraam has levels?
Please forgive me if I said something wrong. I know I may sound novice for some.
I hope I can explain. Please free feel free to ask me to clarify if my reply does not make sense. While all sins are haram the sins are not equal in terms of punishment that will be received. There is a difference between sin and haram. Much of this is based upon the intent. A very minor thing can become major if the person is deliberately doing it to offend Allaah(swt) it just may carry a very harsh punishment.

as far as specific Punishments for our sins I do not believe a comprehensive listing exists or is even needed. We are aware of some major sins such as adultery and murder and those we know pretty much the specific weight of the punishments. But as far as specific punishments or degree of wrong attributed to other issues I do not know of any listing except the knowledge we will be accountable for all of our sins. It is a sin to deliberatly do something we know is haram. Even having to spend one second in the least painful level of hellfire is not worth risking for satisfying any worldly desire.

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Jazakallah for the reply brother. How can I post anonymously in this thread?

Woodrow
11-02-2010, 03:40 PM

To be honest I do not know how to post anonymously in any section. I have never used that feature. I will check and see if I can find out how to do so.

Alpha Dude
11-02-2010, 03:41 PM
"They ask you regarding wine and gambling. Say, in both of them is major sin, and there is some benefit for men, but the sin of them is far greater than benefit": Surah Baqarah

You cannot post anonymously in this section.

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Okay, stupid me! I have asked about anonymity here and even if I post anonymously here everyone will know that it is me. Okay, I'll give it away.
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Even having to spend one second in the least painful level of hellfire is not worth risking for satisfying any worldly desire.
Words to ponder on. I should always keep this in my mind. My friends keep on saying how they felt when they smoke weed. They say it is a feeling which cannot be expressed in words, stairs buildings growing tall, speaking foolish things, time delays etc etc and the most awesome feeling is when you listen to trance music after getting stoned. :exhausted:exhausted:exhausted How do I keep up myself? It's not a big deal to get my hands on them. It is as easy as buying something from a supermarket.

Man, it's really difficult to live here.

IAmZamzam
11-03-2010, 04:02 PM
brother abdulmajid, weed is indeed a very wondrous experience the first couple of times, but it gets old a lot faster than you would probably believe. Nothing in this life which makes you crave it more and more while simultaneously enjoying it less and less is probably a good thing to be getting into.

If you want to know what it's like that first couple of times then I could tell you but I wonder if it would just tempt you further.

If it's too hard to be around these friends who are always tantalizing you with a sin, maybe you shouldn't be around them at all.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!