/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to Protect Eyes from the Computer?

Argamemnon
11-04-2010, 03:29 AM
:sl:

Since saturday I have an extremely painful eye infection, I'm using antibiotics. Just wondering if there is some way to protect my eyes from the computer screen (LCD)? I'm almost certain that's one of the causes (apart from chronic sleep deprivation). Maybe there is some sort of filter for the screen or computer glasses, does anyone know?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zafran
11-04-2010, 04:34 AM
Salaam

take breaks every hour - that should help

eat well and sleep well as well.

Oh and ofcourse dont go on the computer if it keeps hurting.

peace

Asiyah3
11-06-2010, 11:25 PM
:wa:

The screen's top edge should be placed below eye level, so gaze direction is slightly downward. Adequate lighting makes viewing easier.

A suitable distance from the screen to the viewer is about 51 to 76 cm (Hermenau 1995, 150). The computer screen should be positioned directly in front of the user's height, where the eye is proportional to the screen horizontally or slightly below (Kukkonen & Ketola, 2002, 282-283). Recommended angle is an average of 10 to 15 degrees below the horizontal line (Bettencourt 1995, 196).

Source in Finnish and Here

In short, the suitable distance from the screen is about 51 to 76 cm. Good room lightning and the screen should be directly in front of your eyes or (preferably) slightly below. The settings of the screen's brightness and contrast should be suitable (I personally have it at 72).

Remember to have a break every now and then, for example every 15-30 min. and fix your eyes farther away.

Strzelecki
11-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Turn it off for a while?
It needs a rest, and so do you. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
11-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Although it seems I am on line 24/7 I actually am seldom at the screen more than 5 minutes at a time. I am usually going about with my necessary routines and check the screen about once every hour or so. Do a quick cursory check for reported posts, look to see if I have any PMs and go check my subscribed threads and read and possibly reply to the 2 or 3 oldest ones. I have yet to have any eye trouble, perhaps because I am never looking at the screen for more than a few minutes at a time.

Argamemnon
11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
No improvement so far, I've been going to the hospital twice a week. It seems that my immune system has weakened over the years though my blood levels turned out normal. My mother had an eye infection in 2006 which lasted 6 months.

Zafran
11-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Salaam

May Allah swt make you better

peace

أحمد
11-09-2010, 07:40 PM
:sl:

If you're using LCD, don't switching the monitor off and on; only switch it off when taking long breaks (i.e. longer than an hour). Switching the monitor off and on continuously over a short period of time damages the lifespan of the cold cathode lamps, which in simple terms reduces the lifespan of your monitor.

Take regular breaks; at least 5 minutes, every 30 minutes. If you need a screen filter; buy one. There are different types of screen filters; some filter brightness and glare, while others filter viewing angle. In this case, you would probably want a filter that filters brightness and glare. Most filters are available in predefined size ranges.

:wa:

Argamemnon
11-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!