/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dementia

purple
11-04-2010, 04:47 PM

How does your country deal with dementia? What approaches and treatment do they offer? And do you think their approach and treatment is effective. I am aware that there is no cure. But what like to know how America and Canadian deals with dementia and care for the elderly. What makes these countries different to the UK?

And if anyone on this forum comes elsewhere apart the UK, feel free to join. Also I would like articles on it so that I know there is some truth to what you are saying.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
11-04-2010, 07:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ubah
How does your country deal with dementia? What approaches and treatment do they offer? And do you think their approach and treatment is effective. I am aware that there is no cure. But what like to know how America and Canadian deals with dementia and care for the elderly. What makes these countries different to the UK?

And if anyone on this forum comes elsewhere apart the UK, feel free to join. Also I would like articles on it so that I know there is some truth to what you are saying.
Many of my relatives died from Alzheimer Disease. It is alomost as if it is the price we pay for living too long. Medially here in the USA there have been much progress made in finding medications to control it.

But speaking from experience which will differ from people who live in cities, most of my relatives lived in Rural areas. Nursing homes and long care treatment facilities were/are not very feasible options. Those of us who live out in the rural areas far from any cities care for our sick and elderly at home. I am now the oldest living person in my family and perhaps one day I too will require home health care for the dreaded disease, but if that is to be, I have arraigned for provisions to provide and InshaAllah avoid any hardships upon my children and grandchildren.

جوري
11-04-2010, 07:30 PM
it depends on the cause of dementia no? there is more than one cause for dementia, creutzfeldt-jakob disease, picks' disease, normal pressure hydrocephalus, a subdural hematoma, multi-infarct dementia, lewy body dementia, metabolic disorder dementia, Alzheimer's etc etc.
treatment is universal which is to treat the underlying cause, in some cases obviously it is irreversible.

I mean I don't understand if you are asking for medical treatment or societal.. I can't answer the later, the first obviously depends on the underlying cause and the current protocol treatment for the condition!

:w:

purple
11-04-2010, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
it depends on the cause of dementia no? there is more than one cause for dementia, creutzfeldt-jakob disease, picks' disease, normal pressure hydrocephalus, a subdural hematoma, multi-infarct dementia, lewy body dementia, metabolic disorder dementia, Alzheimer's etc etc.
treatment is universal which is to treat the underlying cause, in some cases obviously it is irreversible.

I mean I don't understand if you are asking for medical treatment or societal.. I can't answer the later, the first obviously depends on the underlying cause and the current protocol treatment for the condition!

I understand there isn’t any cure of any type of dementia. It is merely treatment to control the symptoms. I was talking about the about the latter and whether the US emphasis the medical approach or other alternatives are used to deal with dementia like cognitive stimulation, occupational therapy intervention in terms of dealing with activities of daily living or any other participation restrictions and activity limitation. Or is the emphasis still being placed on medication to control the symptoms (cognitive impairment, behaviour problems). What direction is America heading to with dealing dementia.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
11-04-2010, 08:11 PM
I understand there isn’t any cure of any type of dementia. It is merely treatment to control the symptoms. I was talking about the about the latter and whether the US emphasis the medical approach or other alternatives are used to deal with dementia like cognitive stimulation, occupational therapy intervention in terms of dealing with activities of daily living or any other participation restrictions and activity limitation. Or is the emphasis still being placed on medication to control the symptoms (cognitive impairment, behaviour problems). What direction is America heading to with dealing dementia.
I never said there are no cured for 'any' type of dementia some forms can be cured with great success one which happens to be NPH, also the metabolic forms respond well to treatment.
There is assisted living, there is visiting home nurse and there is hospice (the final step) all are determined by the stage of dementia and that also includes treatment the home situation is assessed by a social worker upon the request of the primary care physician!

purple
11-04-2010, 08:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

I never said there are no cured for 'any' type of dementia some forms can be cured with great success one which happens to be NPH, also the metabolic forms respond well to treatment.
There is assisted living, there is visiting home nurse and there is hospice (the final step) all are determined by the stage of dementia and that also includes treatment the home situation is assessed by a social worker upon the request of the primary care physician!
I never said you did. Accessible and available to everyone in America or Canada or just where you are based?

جوري
11-04-2010, 08:29 PM
I never said you did.
based on this comment:
I understand there isn’t any cure of any type of dementia.
we were under the impression that we gave you the wrong impression!-- so long as that is clear or at least as far as the portion that I have addressed!

Accessible and available to everyone in America or Canada or just where you are based?
America's health-care differs from the Canadians.. someone should get back to you with that portion. We don't have socialized health-care in the U.S, we have private insurance as well govt. medicare/medicaid (for the poor and elderly) -- each deciding what they will be able to reimburse in health-care cost.

Woodrow
11-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Health care in the USA is quite different from what it is im most other countries. For the most part Health care is administered under the individual States and funded for the most part by the Federal government. The most common Federal healthcare programs are Medicare and Medicaid. Medicare is for people who have paid into the social security program for sufficient quarters to be covered. Medicaid is for those who have not been able to pay into the system. For the most part the recipient is free to use any doctor who will accept either for payment. there are some doctors who do not accept them for payment as the book-keeping can be complicated and there are maximum amounts they will pay for any treatment. another common source is VA, this is for people who have been disabled while in military service and former military who choose it as a self option and will be self pay.

For most people under the USA health care is provided through private insurance, very often paid by the person's employer as a job fringe benefit.

Also the needs of each state are considered. ND for example has very few hospitals and health providers, but we also have very few people affected by catastrophic illness. We are the third smallest State in terms of population, but the ninth largest in terms of area. Quite a big state larger than most European countries. But with a population smaller than most cities.

North Dakota health care:

The Affordable Care Act: Immediate Benefits for North Dakota

* Small business tax credits. 17,700 small businesses in North Dakota could be helped by a new small business tax credit that makes it easier for businesses to provide coverage to their workers and makes premiums more affordable.1 Small businesses pay, on average, 18 percent more than large businesses for the same coverage, and health insurance premiums have gone up three times faster than wages in the past 10 years. This tax credit is just the first step towards bringing those costs down and making coverage affordable for small businesses.
* Closing the Medicare Part D donut hole. Last year, roughly 9,050 Medicare beneficiaries in North Dakota hit the donut hole, or gap in Medicare Part D drug coverage, and received no extra help to defray the cost of their prescription drugs.2 Medicare beneficiaries in North Dakota who hit the gap this year will automatically be mailed a one-time $250 rebate check. These checks will begin to be mailed to beneficiaries in mid-June and will be mailed monthly throughout the year as new beneficiaries hit the donut hole. The new law continues to provide additional discounts for seniors on Medicare in the years ahead and completely closes the donut hole by 2020.
* Support for health coverage for early retirees. An estimated 6,320 people from North Dakota retired before they were eligible for Medicare and have health coverage through their former employers. Unfortunately, the number of firms that provide health coverage to their retirees has decreased over time.3 Beginning June 1, 2010, a $5 billion temporary early retiree reinsurance program will help stabilize early retiree coverage and help ensure that firms continue to provide health coverage to their early retirees. Companies, unions, and state and local governments are eligible for these benefits.
* New consumer protections in the insurance market beginning on or after September 23, 2010.
o Insurance companies will no longer be able to place lifetime limits on the coverage they provide, ensuring that the 403,000 North Dakota residents with private insurance coverage never have to worry about their coverage running out and facing catastrophic out-of-pocket costs.
o Insurance companies will be banned from dropping people from coverage when they get sick, protecting the 63,000 individuals who purchase insurance in the individual market from dishonest insurance practices.
o Insurance companies will not be able to exclude children from coverage because of a pre-existing condition, giving parents across North Dakota peace of mind.
o Insurance plans’ use of annual limits will be tightly regulated to ensure access to needed care. This will protect the 340,000 residents of North Dakota with health insurance from their employer, along with anyone who signs up with a new insurance plan in North Dakota.
o Health insurers offering new plans will have to develop an appeals process to make it easy for enrollees to dispute the denial of a medical claim.
o Patients’ choice of doctors will be protected by allowing plan members in new plans to pick any participating primary care provider, prohibiting insurers from requiring prior authorization before a woman sees an ob-gyn, and ensuring access to emergency care.
* Extending coverage to young adults. Beginning on or after September 23, 2010, plans and issuers that offer coverage to children on their parents’ policy must allow children to remain on their parents’ policy until they turn 26, unless the adult child has another offer of job-based coverage in some cases. This provision will bring relief to roughly 2,630 individuals in North Dakota who could now have quality affordable coverage through their parents.4 Some employers and the vast majority of insurers have agreed to cover adult children immediately.
* Affordable insurance for uninsured with pre-existing conditions. $7.9 million federal dollars are available to North Dakota starting July 1 to provide coverage for uninsured residents with pre-existing medical conditions through a new transitional high-risk pool program, funded entirely by the Federal government. The program is a bridge to 2014 when Americans will have access to affordable coverage options in the new health insurance exchanges and insurance companies will be prohibited from denying coverage to Americans with pre-existing conditions. If states choose not to run the program, the Federal government will administer the program for those residents.
* Strengthening community health centers. Beginning October 1, 2010, increased funding for Community Health Centers will help nearly double the number of patients seen by the centers over the next five years. The funding could not only help the 23 Community Health Centers in North Dakota but also support the construction of new centers.
* More doctors where people need them. Beginning October 1, 2010, the Act will provide funding for the National Health Service Corps ($1.5 billion over five years) for scholarships and loan repayments for doctors, nurses and other health care providers who work in areas with a shortage of health professionals. This will help the 22% of North Dakota’s population who live in an underserved area.
* New Medicaid options for states. For the first time, North Dakota has the option of Federal Medicaid funding for coverage for all low-income populations, irrespective of age, disability, or family status.
source

But overall the people in North Dakota have one of the longest life expectancies in the USA, in spite of or lack of Health Care.

Hawaii 80.0
2 Minnesota 78.8
3 Utah 78.7
4 Connecticut 78.7
5 Massachusetts 78.4
6 New Hampshire 78.3
7 Iowa 78.3
8 North Dakota 78.3
SOURCE

My long drawn out post in a short understable form means: In the USA the treatment for dementia or any disease will depend on what State you are in.

Muhaba
11-04-2010, 10:28 PM
I haven't heard of cases of dementia in my country or any of the muslim countries where i've lived. People in my family have lived long lives but alhamdullillah no one was affected by dementia. of course they didn't reach an age over 90. i think the most anyone reaches is in the 80s. So I'm not sure if that would be a reason, but i wonder if maybe muslims aren't affected by it? there's a hadith that states that the Prophet (SAW) prayed for Allah's refuge from the shaytan's touch in old age and i wonder if maybe dementia is actually that, since i hear about cases in the kafir countries while not in muslim countries. (I'm unsure whether there are cases in muslim countries and what the statistics are compared to kafir populations since i haven't seen any formal statistics about the disease.)

جوري
11-04-2010, 11:13 PM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16360788

M.I.A.
11-07-2010, 09:33 PM
i have a master unit in psychoneuropharmacology...yep the titles so long i failed the unit lol
actually it was the easiest and most interesting unit i had.

anyway, im not a firm believer in science as a whole... the treatments for most conditions are barbaric and crude in my eyes.
the therapies for alzhiemers are really innefective and actually speed up degeneration in the later stages.. it wasnt on the sylabus and i dont think it was appreciated in my answer... by the third time a sat the exam i had pretty much read everything i could find. sounds far fetched i know.

anyway at this moment in time the only reasonable answer i could give is that all illness and health is god given, i dont know why but it is. i know if my health deteriorated the last place i would seek help is from the men in white coats... i know it is a completly different story when it happens to someone else we love and care for.

edit, just realised i dont actually have a masters unit... lol

جوري
11-07-2010, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
alzhiemers are really innefective and actually speed up degeneration in the later stages.

They are looking into brain pace-makers to trigger memory (electrical as opposed to neurochemical) and it has proved marginal success -- the research however wasn't of statistical significance because of the small sample size.. The future to halt many of these diseases lies in genetic engineering rather than modulation through drugs/ or small implantable machines -- but we all have to die of something at some point so there is nothing that modern science or later modern science to do about that..

It is terrible indeed to lose ones faculties but they are not conscious of it-- so perhaps it is one of the better ways to go..

M.I.A.
11-07-2010, 11:39 PM
sounds cool,
hopefully it will help a lot of people and improve there quality of life.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!