PDA

View Full Version : When someone keeps staring at you?



marwen
11-04-2010, 07:10 PM
It's really embarrassing when you look around and you found someone staring at you.
Most of the times it really means nothing, because of inattention or distraction that person may look at you unconsciously. But it's really awkward and it makes me feel uncomfortable. I mean it makes wonder if he knows me or if there is something on my face lol.
Most of people don't pay a lot of attention if someone looks at them continuously : they just don't look at him and or ignore it. But, sometimes when I unconsciously and stupidly stared at a person, may be because I was thinking about something and I forget to control my gaze, I sometimes receive many funny reactions ;D
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
11-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Neither you, or I nor anybody else has any control over who stares at us. but we all have control over who we stare at and it is our responsibility to not do so.

To be honest if somebody were to stare at me I really doubt if I would even notice it and if I did, I would not have any concern about it. I can't control the thoughts that go through the minds of people who have too much free time.
Reply

S.Belle
11-04-2010, 07:32 PM
oh gosh i hate when people stare it makes me fidget (you need to add a fidget uncontrollably button in the poll lol)
If it is a female that is staring I usually just smile (and give salams if she"s a sis) in hopes that she snaps out of it and looks somewhere else.
If its a male than i usually just cover my face with my hijab or turn in the opposite direction.
Reply

tango92
11-04-2010, 09:41 PM
if you wear a topee it can work wonders
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
marwen
11-04-2010, 09:47 PM
^ hmm .. good idea !
imagesqtbnANd9GcRLUI8oqYKOr6PoMeiBYRYSQz 1 -
Reply

S_87
11-04-2010, 09:49 PM
well i am used to stares because of the way i dress but do feel uncomfortable if people stare with those bug eyes for too long.... dont do anything about it though,, most id probably do is roll my eyes n move on
Reply

Cabdullahi
11-04-2010, 09:52 PM
people stare at me in the underground tubes...i just close my eyes and sleep.....let them stare all they want
Reply

tango92
11-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullahii
people stare at me in the underground tubes...i just close my eyes and sleep.....let them stare all they want
thats what i do aswell! only for different reasons....

if you know what i mean then good, if not, dont ask
Reply

Maryan0
11-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by marwen
Most of the times it really means nothing, because of inattention or distraction that person may look at you unconsciously. ;D
People do stare I am a Muslimah and therefore a "visible minority" but what's really embarassing is when I daydream and I'll be staring at someone and I dont even know that I am.:hiding:
Salam
Reply

PouringRain
11-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I have always disliked stares. I think I must have a very generic look, because my entire life it is common for people to come up to me and tell me I look familiar. So, I think people probably stare, because they think they may know me.... of course, they never do. LOL
Reply

Muhaba
11-04-2010, 11:10 PM
It depends on who the person is and why he's staring, whether he's just staring into space without thinking or he's really looking at me specifically? etc.

i'll probably look away and walk on.
Reply

Cabdullahi
11-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by tango92
thats what i do aswell! only for different reasons....

if you know what i mean then good, if not, dont ask
i know what you mean bro....some people with fat legs just seem to like going outside of the house with just stockings and a little blouse that resembles a baby apron to work....and when they sit in front of you in the tube you cannot look down because you see their fat legs and you cannot look up cause you see their powdery face

so i've come up with the perfect solution...to close the eyes and sleep
Reply

tango92
11-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by Abdullahii
i know what you mean bro....some people with fat legs just seem to like going outside of the house with just stockings and a little blouse that resembles a baby apron to work....and when they sit in front of you in the tube you cannot look down because you see their fat legs and you cannot look up cause you see their powdery face

so i've come up with the perfect solution...to close the eyes and sleep
haha. the only problem is when your train doesnt have a speaker saying what station it is, youve got to guestimate when to get off. also falling asleep........
Reply

Muhaba
11-05-2010, 02:15 PM
^take a book with you and stick your nose in it so your eyes won't go here and there. you don't actually have to read the book. Or take a Quran and memorize it. You'll get a lot of memorizing done this way.
Reply

Adem Al-Albani
11-05-2010, 02:17 PM
I usually think up a whole scenrio in my mind if he/she attacks me and how I'll take them out and what to do with their body once I'm done. lol
Reply

Muhaba
11-05-2010, 02:25 PM
^i hope you never lose your mind or who knows what you might do. LOL
Reply

Dagless
11-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by marwen
It's really embarrassing when you look around and you found someone staring at you.
Most of the times it really means nothing, because of inattention or distraction that person may look at you unconsciously. But it's really awkward and it makes me feel uncomfortable. I mean it makes wonder if he knows me or if there is something on my face lol.
:eek:
If you find a lot of men looking at you then perhaps you are giving some kind of vibe? ;) Maybe it's time to start doing up the top 4 buttons of your shirt and buying some looser trousers?
Reply

marwen
11-05-2010, 03:18 PM
^ hahaha ;D ,

hmm .. really ?:hmm: **looking at my shirt, and quickly doing up all buttons** LOL

lol, but no seriously, i'm always modestly dressed. No bad vibes ;{I
Reply

PouringRain
11-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Adem Al-Albani
I usually think up a whole scenrio in my mind if he/she attacks me and how I'll take them out and what to do with their body once I'm done. lol
Wow. You must get some really nasty stares and live in a tough area. :skeleton:
Reply

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-05-2010, 04:04 PM
:sl:
People here are very much busy with their lives, they do not stare each other much. However, you may find some idiotic people staring opposite genders. lol
Even if someone stares at me I won't bother. (i say to myself, "I must be looking smart today".) :)
Reply

Adem Al-Albani
11-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by PouringRain
Wow. You must get some really nasty stares and live in a tough area. :skeleton:
Brooklyn, New York. lol
Reply

tango92
11-05-2010, 09:11 PM
oh yh if you were a hoody with the hood up you'll basically blend into the background (it seems)

unless its red, in which case you might stand out even more....
Reply

caadam
11-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Perhaps I'm just being clueless, but I don't get people staring at me too often. lol When I do have someone stare at me, it's usually a man from Mexico or Ethiopia, or Gambia and so on. It's very uncomfortable, especially when I'm minding my own business. The staring usually ends with them either approaching me, or even them almost following me around the store or wherever I am. And if I don't look interested in talking to them (or what they think interest looks like), they just disappear. It's kind of creepy.

Other than that, this strange phenomenon doesn't happen very often. It's like once in a blue moon. I usually do my best to ignore it.
:eek:
Reply

Life_Is_Short
11-05-2010, 09:42 PM
When I am just focusing on something, my mind drifts off to 'nothingness'. In other words, I don't have time to pay attention to such people. =/
Reply

Amoeba
11-05-2010, 09:52 PM
If I find a stranger staring at me, I just keep an eye on them - after making a mental note to maintain my distance from them.

If it's someone I know, I just bluntly ask them "what's up?".
Reply

Cabdullahi
11-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by caadam
Perhaps I'm just being clueless, but I don't get people staring at me too often. lol When I do have someone stare at me, it's usually a man from Mexico or Ethiopia, or Gambia and so on. It's very uncomfortable, especially when I'm minding my own business. The staring usually ends with them either approaching me, or even them almost following me around the store or wherever I am. And if I don't look interested in talking to them (or what they think interest looks like), they just disappear. It's kind of creepy.

Other than that, this strange phenomenon doesn't happen very often. It's like once in a blue moon. I usually do my best to ignore it.
:eek:
Whats wrong with mexicans...ethiopians and gambians....are they some sort of aliens with bulging eyes
Reply

Asiyah3
11-05-2010, 10:54 PM
I ignore it. If I'm too bored I may stare back (if she's a female).
Reply

caadam
11-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I have no problem with men from those countries at all, and I know not all of them go staring at women wherever they go. :hmm:
I was just saying that men who DO tend to stare at me at lot just happen to be from those countries. That's all. lol I know, because most of them approach me and tell me where they're from.
I'm Mexican myself, so yeah. *shrugs* And I've had friends from Ethiopia, Gambia and such, from many different countries. I have nothing against someone from a different country and race.
Reply

Cabdullahi
11-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by caadam
I have no problem with men from those countries at all, and I know not all of them go staring at women wherever they go. :hmm:
I was just saying that men who DO tend to stare at me at lot just happen to be from those countries. That's all. lol I know, because most of them approach me and tell me where they're from.
I'm Mexican myself, so yeah. *shrugs* And I've had friends from Ethiopia, Gambia and such, from many different countries. I have nothing against someone from a different country and race.
I just had to defend my Ethiopian and Gambian brothers
Reply

caadam
11-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I understand. Trust me, I've met some very respectful and intelligent men from those countries and I will always see them as that. :) I always try to look pass stereotypes and stigmas; I don't assume that because someone is from this country, they must be like this, and that every single other person form that same country is also like that. That's simply not true.
Reply

PouringRain
11-06-2010, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by Abdullahii
Whats wrong with mexicans...ethiopians and gambians....are they some sort of aliens with bulging eyes
I won't speak about males from any country in particular (and I have never known any who were directly from gambia or ethiopia LOL) but I will say that certain males from certain unnamed countries have a very unsettling way of staring at women as though they are undressing them with their eyes. It is awful. I can't say I experience that where I currently live, but in some places it is horrible.


Amoeba, when you wrote that you "keep an eye on them" it reminded me of my mom. ;D My mom is one of those people who will sit there staring at people and saying to me "Why is that person staring at me? I don't like the way that person is looking at me. It makes me nervous them staring like that......" And I always tell her that the other person is probably thinking the same thing about her, and wondering why she is staring at them. :p I just ignore and do not look at people who stare.
Reply

Cabdullahi
11-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by caadam
I understand. Trust me, I've met some very respectful and intelligent men from those countries and I will always see them as that. :) I always try to look pass stereotypes and stigmas; I don't assume that because someone is from this country, they must be like this, and that every single other person form that same country is also like that. That's simply not true.
yeah like how some people say mexicans are alcoholics...they take siestas...they're illegal immigrants....they wear sombreros....its something people have created and its false

Originally Posted by PouringRain
I won't speak about males from any country in particular (and I have never known any who were directly from gambia or ethiopia LOL) but I will say that certain males from certain unnamed countries have a very unsettling way of staring at women as though they are undressing them with their eyes. It is awful. I can't say I experience that where I currently live, but in some places it is horrible.
If we pit what you wrote against what some guys do in western countries near the night clubs and pubs when they see a girl walking past they whistle and act disgustingly just like gorillas the gambians will look innocent compared to the pub goers because even if its wrong they're just looking whereas the pub goers are looking and saying disgusting stuff about what they would do if ......you know the rest
Reply

Amat Allah
11-06-2010, 11:16 AM
non of the above options would be a reaction of mine in that case... if was a female or small kids I would simply smile right away and if a man then I would never ever care; because he will only tire his eyes staring at me with my whole black hijaab on me; exactly like my Avatar and maybe I would never notice cause I walk looking straight a head in street or looking at the ground (like soldiers)...
Reply

PouringRain
11-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullahii
If we pit what you wrote against what some guys do in western countries near the night clubs and pubs when they see a girl walking past they whistle and act disgustingly just like gorillas the gambians will look innocent compared to the pub goers because even if its wrong they're just looking whereas the pub goers are looking and saying disgusting stuff about what they would do if ......you know the rest
I wasn't speaking about the gambians, as I have no clue what look they may or may not give. I have not know any. The men from the nameless countries I was referring to were not even mentioned. I didn't name the countries on purpose, because my intent is not to call out certain groups of men, but just to point out there there are certain males from certain countries who do have a horribly awful way of looking at women.

I can't say that I have been around nightclubs or pubs, so I will have to take your word on it. :sunny:

I think the difference is..... a woman who goes to those places and dresses certain ways, is looking for that male attention. A woman walking down the street dressed modestly and avoiding the gaze of others, is not.
Reply

Perseveranze
11-06-2010, 06:20 PM
I just find it too awkward to stare at someone, so even if someone stares at me, i'll just look awy or try not to notice, usually works.
Reply

S.Belle
11-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by caadam
When I do have someone stare at me, it's usually a man from Mexico

agreeded!! I live in a heavily hispanic populated area and the older ones tend to stare relentlessly it gives me shivers...no offense to any hispanics here usted esta impresionante!! :statisfie:hiding:
Reply

GuestFellow
11-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Salaam,

I don't mind people staring at me. Go ahead and stare at me.
Reply

Hayaa
11-07-2010, 01:44 AM
:sl: I'd be uncomfortable overall if someone stared consistently but if it's an older dude, I tend to get especially annoyed..


imagesqtbnANd9GcTpEl5W4Mqz3m7ee7mA0NC5CB 1 -
Reply

Amoeba
11-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by PouringRain
I won't speak about males from any country in particular (and I have never known any who were directly from gambia or ethiopia LOL) but I will say that certain males from certain unnamed countries have a very unsettling way of staring at women as though they are undressing them with their eyes. It is awful. I can't say I experience that where I currently live, but in some places it is horrible.


Amoeba, when you wrote that you "keep an eye on them" it reminded me of my mom. ;D My mom is one of those people who will sit there staring at people and saying to me "Why is that person staring at me? I don't like the way that person is looking at me. It makes me nervous them staring like that......" And I always tell her that the other person is probably thinking the same thing about her, and wondering why she is staring at them. :p I just ignore and do not look at people who stare.
"Keep an eye on them" doesn't have to be taken literally. It just means keeping an awareness of where everybody is around you. I usually listen more than I look. If I do look it's usually a quick snapshot of my surroundings. There's no harm in being aware of who is where. In fact it could save your life one day. I don't complain about people staring at me. I just keep aware.
Reply

jabirmusa
11-09-2010, 02:43 AM
Why be nervous? Turn it around, relax, smile, and give a cordial nod of acknowledgment. That makes them nervous, and they will look away.
Reply

Yanal
11-12-2010, 06:19 AM
:sl:

I occasionally think about these occasions that occur rarely too me,alhumdulilah.
Reply

Ansariyah
11-12-2010, 01:54 PM
When I see someone starring at me I jst pretend not to notice it n look else'where. Its always good to arm urself with the 3 Qhuls...
Reply

Woodrow
11-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Although I ignore them.

I really would like to take out a large mirror and hold it up to them. The inability to carry a large mirror in my pockets, hinders me from doing that.
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
11-12-2010, 07:27 PM
lol when someone stares at me i usually just ignore or tell them to shutup :-\

Well i mostly just ignore, but i dont think about such geeky stuff that much tho, if you lower your gaze you wont notice much of this insha`Allaah

I voted for "I say to myself, peepz are going nuts these geeky dayz!"
Reply

ardianto
09-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Sometime happened, a guy stared at me for few moments, then I stared him too. what happened next were always same, he asked me "are you ........ friend ? did you study in ..... ? were you living in ... ?". Amazingly, it's always 'connected', then we started a friendly chatting.
Reply

FS123
09-05-2011, 09:49 PM
I sometimes stare when somebody has something stuck in their teeth. I try not to, but curiosity of guessing what kind of food they were eating. It is sort of throws me into detective mode.
Reply

joyous fairy
09-18-2011, 03:28 AM
Once I was at a wedding and these 3 girls came and sat on the same table as us. One of them sat right next to me and she kept staring at me. She was about 15/16 I think. I kept thinking 'why does she keep looking at me, etc' and then I realiseed she had some sort of disability because the other girl kept asking her if she was ok and kept sorting her hair/scarf out for her. She was also talking to her like she would talk to a young child.

Just thought I'd share cos sometimes we dont realise that there could be lots of reasons behind why that person is staring, they might not even realise, or they might not be able to control what they do so should be careful and think before we say anything that could offend them.
Reply

Tyrion
09-18-2011, 03:36 AM
If someone starts to stare at you, then just wink at them. ;)
Reply

Nate
09-18-2011, 04:00 AM
people stare at me all the time, Im Arab and carry a gun, the drunks are funny they will stare long and hard and think I dont notice then look over at them and say BOO in a mild manor town, and it like magically snaps them back into reality. I have been asked if im a terrorist, my reply is no but I have to carry because of rednecks like you LOL they never find that funny ;D
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-19-2011, 11:28 PM
I didn't vote in the poll because I don't say or do any of what's listed nor will I lol. I just get self conscious when a "guy" stares. I automatically put on a serious face Lol. It's unintentional. I never smile, ah never. If it's a girl or sis then no problem!
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tyrion
If someone starts to stare at you, then just wink at them. ;)
Even if it's a dude? Huh, strange :/

I remember when I was 16 and was over someone's house for Eid. This little girl came and sat next to me. I had my arm out on the arm of the chair. She kept STARING at me and I'm like what? She looks at me with her arm out, looks at my arm and back at me saying "you're dark." I'm like "huh, seriously?"

Funny thing is I'm nowhere near dark, actually very fair! Which is why I was gobsmacked at her comment :/

Some ppl hve issuuesssss...
Reply

Revert 2010
09-19-2011, 11:34 PM
I generally smile or pull a funny face, or I say if the wind changes they could be staring at me for a long time lol. :p
Reply

IslamicRevival
09-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Who cares? Tis harmless, Just smile and carry on with life :)
Reply

Tyrion
09-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Even if it's a dude?
Especially if it's a dude. ;)
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrion

Especially if it's a dude. ;)
LoL uhhh that would be weird :/
Reply

GuestFellow
09-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tyrion

Especially if it's a dude. ;)
Now we should be best fwends. *glues his hand to mine* :p: Come let's find people to stare at us so we can wink back at them.

*drags Tyrion to the Platform 9 3/4*
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-20-2011, 10:42 PM
^ ^o)

Geeky 12 characters
Reply

Endymion
10-07-2011, 01:33 PM
The options are great :D

I just ignore if its a guy :skeleton: and if its a kid or a girl,i smile at them and ask whats up :hmm:

My sister usually complain people stare at her may be because she is wearing braces Attachment 4362

Once she was on a bus stop and a woman keep staring at her and she did'nt even notice that she was standing down the footpath and the bus approach her.The bus was nearly hit her when my sis hold her hand and pull her up Attachment 4363 dunno why people are that non sence :raging:
Reply

Jedi_Mindset
10-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Ouf, you should've seen me few years ago, back then i would've being going mad when someone was staring at me. Alhamdulillah not anymore, now i just smile or ignore :)
Reply

Endymion
10-07-2011, 06:18 PM
You was with the braces thing few years before :hmm:

And Mashallah,i can see that you are now a "Brother in Islam" :statisfie Welcome to the path of light,dear little brother :statisfie

stockphotoroadsignmetaphorwithwelcometoi 1 -

1.5 Billion + 3 :statisfie
Reply

.iman.
10-07-2011, 06:55 PM
HAHA! What a funny thread, I voted for what the majority of people did- think to myself that people are so weird! However, in my area, there aren't too many sisters, so when people stare it's mainly because they aren't used to seeing a fair skinned, blue eyed woman in hijab. Especially yesterday for a job interview I was dressed up in a full suit and wearing hijab- that got plenty of looks! I generally ignore people, especially if it's a male- I look away. If it's a little kid then I smile or wink or say something to them.
Reply

Pure Purple
10-08-2011, 04:31 PM

I started wearing niqab few month back.I met with a lady, she is a non muslim.When she saw me for the first time she was staring me in a very strange way,as if i am an alien .I was feeling very uncomfortable.I thought something is wrong with my niqab.I started looking towards my niqab. Then she just smiled and said Oh i am so sorry,please don't feel bad.Actually I have seen any muslim for the first time,so close.Then she started asking various questions...every day when she sees me asking questions and questions.
I like answering her question.now we are very good friends.:D
Reply

Endymion
10-08-2011, 06:21 PM
When i stare at my siblings with anger,they did'nt even notice and after staring for a minute or two,i have to go near them and tell them that i was staring at them :embarrass
Reply

taz...
10-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Once there was a woman, a relative actually, and i had to sit opposite her at a wedding. don't ask, she stared at me the WHOLE time. i tried staring back, but it got creepy and i broke my gaze. highly uncomfortable.
you should try coming to pakistan, its all about the staring, my mates have had guts to actually insult the men who stare. but i simply go in the opposite direction. i get lots of stares anyway, so i'm used to it, dont really notice. if someone points aswell, well, that rarely happens, but when it does, its annoying. i mean, there's a line, don't cross it.
Reply

.iman.
10-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by taz...
you should try coming to pakistan, its all about the staring, my mates have had guts to actually insult the men who stare. but i simply go in the opposite direction.
good point, staring is definitely a cultural thing, for some it's awkward, for others it's not that big of a deal, but in some areas it is used as a way of intimidation- I couldn't tell you how many times my ex husband (who is Tunisian) gave another male the death stare (what I called it) when someone was driving terribly or did something insulting, he would give them this look and they would lock eyes, and it was like an unspoken battle, whoever looked away first was the loser... something that doesn't happen often in the US because we tend to be too "polite"
Reply

taz...
10-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by .iman.
good point, staring is definitely a cultural thing, for some it's awkward, for others it's not that big of a deal, but in some areas it is used as a way of intimidation- I couldn't tell you how many times my ex husband (who is Tunisian) gave another male the death stare (what I called it)
hahaa, the "death stare" my brothers and dad do that all the time to people who have the "staring problem" which is generally everybody within a 5 mile radius. llol.
Reply

Scimitar
10-09-2011, 01:26 AM
I read an naas and al falak, better to protect yourself from the evil eye if you know what I mean.
Reply

peace_maker
10-14-2011, 12:58 PM
I just hate it when people stare at me. It makes me or anybody else feel so uncomfortable.I try to ignore them as much as possible but, if it persists, then I stare back. If it still doesn't work, I roll my eyes as a sign of annoyance.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
HeartHijab.com | Hijab Sale | Pound Shop | UK Wholesale Certified Face Masks, Hand Sanitiser & PPE

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!