/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic view on university loans

glo
11-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Muslim student leaders say changes to tuition fees in England could breach Islamic rules on finance, which do not permit interest charges.

The coalition government's plans to raise tuition fees to up to £9,000 also include higher interest rates for repayments of loans.

The Federation of Student Islamic Societies says this will make loans unusable for many Muslim students.
Source can be found here.

Is this going to prevent Muslims from studying at university?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
purple
11-05-2010, 08:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

Yes in UK, but they may go aboard instead.

جوري
11-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Source can be found here. Is this going to prevent Muslims from studying at university?

question is will it prevent non-Muslims from studying at university.. I hardly think this is good news for anyone!

all the best

Ummu Sufyaan
11-06-2010, 07:32 AM
well the rule is the rule, and if people follow the rule, then yes they will be prevented from going to university. but doesn't believing in a trinity prevent believing in a non-trinity? i dont get what your point is :) you abide by something, naturally its going to stop you from doing something else.

why do you ask?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tango92
11-06-2010, 07:37 AM
trials on the plane

at times like these i wish i was in my final year....

Amoeba
11-06-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm not sure how it works, are English students allowed to go study in Scotland for free? Scottish students get tuition paid by Student Awards Agency with no obligation to pay back the fees. But I'm not sure if you actually have to have lived in Scotland or if you can get them paid by just coming up here to study.

Anyway I think it's difficult enough being a student money-wise without greater fees (let alone and interest... oh dear). It's going to go back to only the wealthy get to go to university because the fees are going to be too much to pay back, especially how a lot of graduates aren't finding enough work. And yeah, this kind of blocks muslim students out of higher education, that is the ones who can't pay for the fees out of their own pocket.

Cabdullahi
11-06-2010, 11:03 AM
i've got a few years left then im out of here because its going to be a dog eat dog society.....with a refined class system......the super rich and the super poor no middle ground

so everybody will be fighting to live

i think we should all go to rwanda

جوري
11-06-2010, 01:50 PM
you can always ask someone to sponsor you.. there are many good Muslims who do just that!
approach the imam in your mosque and ask for a fund raiser for students so that you pay your tuition one shot!

:w:

glo
11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
well the rule is the rule, and if people follow the rule, then yes they will be prevented from going to university. but doesn't believing in a trinity prevent believing in a non-trinity? i dont get what your point is :) you abide by something, naturally its going to stop you from doing something else.

why do you ask?
The point I was raising was that university fees in the UK are going to rise considerably - which will have negative consequences for those who don't have well-off families or sponsors.
People will leave university burdened with great big loans.

As Vale's Lily points out this will affect Muslims and non-Muslims alike, and I hate the thought that only the children of the wealthy will be able to afford a university education.
Muslims in particular will have concerns about the principles of university loans, which are against Islamic teachings.

That's all I was going to raise with this thread.
I sense that you feel I might have had an ulterior motive, but I can assure you that that's not the case.

All I want is fair and affordable access to education for all! Be they Muslims, non-Muslims, blue or green!

Perseveranze
11-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm on my second year, one year to go, I'm pretty lucky.

tango92
11-06-2010, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
I'm on my second year, one year to go, I'm pretty lucky.
what sub r u doin?

Muhaba
11-06-2010, 08:30 PM
did they raise it from 3000 pounds to 9000 pounds? i believe it used to be 3000 pounds.

GuestFellow
11-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Salaam,

I am not sure. It will make it difficult for Muslims and non-Muslims to study at University. I think students that have potential should be allowed to gain access to higher education and should be given financial support.

However, it is important for students to understand that there are many alternative qualifications available. Students should be given a range of options to choose from, and not be pressured to go University.

Many degrees will not help you find a job since many jobs require experience and practical skills. Personally, I value job skills and experience.

glo
11-07-2010, 07:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ProfessorSunday
However, it is important for students to understand that there are many alternative qualifications available. Students should be given a range of options to choose from, and not be pressured to go University.

Many degrees will not help you find a job since many jobs require experience and practical skills. Personally, I value job skills and experience.
That's a good point.

There has been an increasing expectation on people to get a university qualification in recent years. Often that's not necessary or even beneficial ...

Practical skills are very much in demand these days.

GuestFellow
11-07-2010, 04:37 PM
^ I think the government should focus on helping students get work experience. I have noticed many jobs require experience. There is a cycle where your need experience to get a job, but you cannot get the job without experience. Some suggest volunteering however it is not always easy to find volunteering placements and not easy to financially support yourself either whilst volunteering.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!