/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Marriage?

catchagoat
11-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Salaam All!

I just wanted to know the steps of an Islamic marriage. I know there is a Nikkah, Walima, Engagement? Does the order of which things are done matter?

Thanks
: )

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Strzelecki
11-07-2010, 07:09 AM
I hope you catch a good Goat. :)

PS; to my knowledge it goes.

Meetings with mahram present -> Decision/Proposal -> Engagement -> Nikkah -> Walima -> Hopefully a successful marriage inshaAllah.

May Allah (swt) grant us all pious and compatible spouses. Ameen.
And to the married brothers/sisters:
May Allah (swt) place bondless blessings in your marriage. Ameen.

Rafeeq
11-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Congrates on getting married.

PS: Con you reconsider your decesion. Donot claim in future no body warned you, I am doing so... LOL.
May Allah (SWT) shower you His countless blessing on you.

Muhaba
11-07-2010, 08:09 AM
There really isn't any need for an engagement. Here in Syria a lot of people do the nikkah a few months before the wedding, during which time the guy and girl can talk to each other, meet, and get to know each other. Engagement i believe is a kafir thing where people get to know each other during the engagement period. So the syrian system resembles that but the couple are islamically allowed to talk to each other. If you just get engaged then you aren't allowed to talk or meet that way.

at the time of marriage, there is a walima dinner, but i'm unsure if that is done the day after the wedding on on the wedding day. In most places there would be a party on the wedding day.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Innocent Soul
11-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Assalamualaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
Engagement i believe is a kafir thing where people get to know each other during the engagement period.
The place where I live if there is an engagement there is no permission for the bride and the groom to talk to each other during the engagement period.

format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
at the time of marriage, there is a walima dinner, but i'm unsure if that is done the day after the wedding on on the wedding day. In most places there would be a party on the wedding day.
According to my knowledge walima should be done the next day.

sirajstc
11-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Nikkah, Walima

Muhaba
11-07-2010, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safiya 1
Assalamualaikum

The place where I live if there is an engagement there is no permission for the bride and the groom to talk to each other during the engagement period.

According to my knowledge walima should be done the next day.
That is what i wrote. the kuffar try to get to know each other more during the engagement period, although they might have a relationship even before getting engaged, dating etc.. muslims don't benefit from an engagement because islamically the man and woman aren't halal for each other, so won't get to meet or talk to each other except maybe once or twice in the presense of the woman's wali, which is most proabably even done before getting engaged. The only benefit from an engagement without nikkah might be the two families getting to know each other. that's why i suggested getting the nikkah done, so the wife and husband can get to know each other in a halal way.

catchagoat
11-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I've not managed to catch a goat yet, they run too fast! :)

What happens during each part of the wedding ceremony? The first part where the meetings take place are pretty self explanatory but what actually happens during the Nikkah and Walima?

Ramadhan
11-10-2010, 02:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ralf123
what is nikkah?

marriage.

(12 chars)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!