/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to help someone with OCD

Ummu Sufyaan
11-08-2010, 11:50 AM
:sl:
people with OCD tend to act on compulsion. OCD tends to be quite a compelling feeling, that is, it isnt simply a matter of advising that person to give up that obsessive habit simply becuase they dont realize what they are doing and if they do realize, it is an extremely overpowering feeling anyway and so it still wouldnt make a difference.

So i want some advise on how to advise someone with OCD. I have come the the conclusion as above, i.e that isnt a matter of just telling them to stop being so obsessive, but rather it would probably be better to help them deal and control their compulsions because once their compulsions are sorted then they will at-least have the actual habit that is a result of these compulsions, under control.

but im stuck, seeing that i dont have any idea on how to go about this? what are the ways that someone with OCD could keep their compulsions are control?

another thing that is important, is to make that person realize that they actually have OCD. often (though they may acknowledge that somethign is wrong with them), they tend not to worry too much about it and that its ok for them/they dont mind that they have these obsessive habits. its ok for them to vacuum over the same spot 100 times...they see no problem with this.
what im getting at, is that these compulsions eventually turn into habits that they dont realize the wrong they are doing. its second nature to them and they absolutely have no problem with it as they dont realize the problem anymore.

So yes how do you get the m to realize and acknowledge that they are doing something wrong becuase if you cant get them to realize that, then they cant improve at all.

----
on the side: i have noticed a trend about people with OCD and that is, that people suffering from this condition tend to come from broken homes and/or some kind of thing has happened in their lives that has left some kind of deep impact. So, could OCD be a means for them to have some kind of order and stability in their lives? between that bad thing that has happened in their lives and the obsessiveness (people suffering from OCD tend to be very particular about their obsession/habit..you could almost compare it to a ritual) could they be trying to find some kind of order through OCD?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
11-09-2010, 12:48 AM
many reasons why folks develop disorders.. and many of us to a certain degree suffer from just about everything at any given time, usually not to a point where it interferes with life -- when folks develop a condition that halts them from enjoying and living and going about their daily activities is when they should seek help.. treatment here for OCD that is will be both pharmacological and psychotherapy together.. unfortunately most people never get the help they need..

I remember during a particularly difficult time for me last year I suffered severe panic attacks which is almost always accompanied by agoraphobia, not only did I give up driving but I was so crippled from even going to the super market.. this all happened over a two week span but was so intense that I didn't think I'd recover, I booked myself an appt. with a friend's doctor I hadn't sought medical help for ages and she hardly helped, she didn't want to deal with it.. she told me I was having an 'allergic reaction' :haha: in actuality I knew she didn't want to put me on the proper treatment because one of them included a sedative hypnotic too much to handle with someone just establishing care..I really had to take myself out of it by myself and that was no small feat.. unfortunately most people aren't educated about their conditions and when it happens they are a complete slave to it beyond a rational thought or intellectualization. Nonetheless I believe if a person really wants to get better, wants a cure and is determined, s/he will get the treatment they need and deserve..

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!