/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Kaffarah for breaking a qadha fast?

Aishath
11-08-2010, 01:46 PM
I can't remember if I made the intention last night to fast or not. I haven't been feeling too well (although not so ill that I can't fast I don't think). Anyway I had a bit of a fever last night and this morning when I woke up I couldn't remember at all if I had said the niyyat or made an intention to fast. I was feeling really tired and a sore throat so decided to take some thing to soothe the throat around 11.20pm. Is there a kaffarah on me if I break a qadha fast like this? bearing in mind that I honestly can't remember if I made the niyyat. 90% of me thinks I didn't cz I saw a text I sent my sister saying I might fast today but I wasn't sure because I wasn't feeling a 100%

Thank you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhaba
11-09-2010, 01:20 AM
I heard that if you break a fast at a time other than Ramadan, then you have to do the fast on another day. So you would have to repeat this fast another day when you'r feeling well, but you only have to do one fast. However, I also heard that for the fast to be valid, you need to make the intention. Fast without intention is invalid, but the intention doesn't have to be oral. it can just be in your heart. i believe the intention for Ramadan fasts has to be made before zuhr but am unsure whether the intention for nawafil fasts has to be made before fajr or can be made after fajr.

Aishath
11-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Is this the case even if u break a qadha fast by deliberately eating etc?

Muhaba
11-09-2010, 02:17 PM
I believe so. The only time you need to do the 60 days kafarrah is if you break a fast during ramadan without a valid reason, like being sick or travelling.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Aishath
11-10-2010, 08:07 PM
does it matter how the qadha fast was broken lik eating or having illegal sexual intercourse (not saying ive done this, just asking), masturbation etc?

Aishath
11-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Also,

If someone has a thought - i'll fast for a week' and then two days in, decides they didnt want to fast for the rest fo the week for various reason but had never made the formal niyyat or intention the night before, is that okay? This wasn't an oath or anything, just a thought.

Hamza Asadullah
11-11-2010, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aileen
I can't remember if I made the intention last night to fast or not. I haven't been feeling too well (although not so ill that I can't fast I don't think). Anyway I had a bit of a fever last night and this morning when I woke up I couldn't remember at all if I had said the niyyat or made an intention to fast. I was feeling really tired and a sore throat so decided to take some thing to soothe the throat around 11.20pm. Is there a kaffarah on me if I break a qadha fast like this? bearing in mind that I honestly can't remember if I made the niyyat. 90% of me thinks I didn't cz I saw a text I sent my sister saying I might fast today but I wasn't sure because I wasn't feeling a 100%

Thank you
Asalaamu Alaikum, if your intention to fast was not 100% then you did not have the proper intention because to fast then it requires full intention to in ones heart to fast before dawn and by you saying that you 90% thought you did not have the intention then you did not make the full intention of doing so before dawn. Having intention after dawn means that this fast turns into a nafil fast as one can have intention for nafil fast afetr dawn

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!