/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do online Muslim communities (Like this one) represent the "real" Muslim community?

Tyrion
11-09-2010, 06:19 AM
I was just wondering...

Do you think sites like this (which contain a number of Muslim members) represent most "real life" Muslim communities? Or is it a very specific type of Muslim who flocks to these forums? The reason I ask is because I've noticed certain things here (and on other online Muslim communities) that I've simply never seen or heard of in any other place. A large number of Muslims in the online community (but by no means all of them) just tend to be very different from what I actually see in the real world.

Your thoughts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Asiyah3
11-09-2010, 08:22 AM
:sl:

In my opinion, yes. It does represent the real Muslim community.

Or is it a very specific type of Muslim who flocks to these forums?
The Muslims I see here aren't much different from the ones I meet in real life al-hamdulillah.

Edit: Thought to add that I've disregarded those Muslims who are Muslim by name only and non-Muslims by action, meaning they don't pray or practice nor even try to.

innocent
11-09-2010, 10:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
I was just wondering...

Do you think sites like this (which contain a number of Muslim members) represent most "real life" Muslim communities? Or is it a very specific type of Muslim who flocks to these forums? The reason I ask is because I've noticed certain things here (and on other online Muslim communities) that I've simply never seen or heard of in any other place. A large number of Muslims in the online community (but by no means all of them) just tend to be very different from what I actually see in the real world.

Your thoughts?
Ditto. I've wondered this for a long time.

GuestFellow
11-09-2010, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
I was just wondering...

Your thoughts?
:sl:

I'm not sure. However, the Muslims on the forum appear to be far more knowledgeable than compared to Muslims that I have met in real life.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhaba
11-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Stastically, no. Only a certain type of muslims come to forums such as this one. For example, i think most active members here are religious practicing muslims and i think there are very few liberal muslims here. although am not sure. if you were to do a poll to see whether the members were liberal (not practicing), moderately practicing muslims, or very religious (conservative) muslims, and you saw the result showing that the majority were vconservative, would you assume that the majority of the muslims in the world, or even from the countries where most members of this forum are from, are of that type? no you couldn't. If the forum were a free muslim forum where all types of muslims were welcome and all types of threads were allowed, and for example you saw liberal people talking about movies and music and free mixing as well as conservatives talking about striving to be the best muslim they could, then such a forum would represent the muslims of the world, or maybe those of a certain country or ethnicity, depending on where the members were from.

Zafran
11-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Salaam

Muslims have there up downs in general - I dont realy like putting people in categories becasue nobody actually fits in one.

In the real world muslims are in a lot of mess -

peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!