/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hair Removal Haram or Halal????

sabr*
11-04-2010, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=distressed;

what about for women who arent married ? Im sorry I just dont understand why women who have a medical condition are unable to wear cover ups such as wigs ? a hair is seen as a womans crowning glory right ? so if they dont have any through no fault of their own, due to wat eva reason, then what are they expected to do ? Live in misery alone for the rest of their lives ? Sorry i just dont get any of this, im more confused now, i thought it was ok, now apparently its not ?[/QUOTE]

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Ukhti distressed

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Number 815:

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and those who remove their face hairs, and those who create a space between their teeth artificially to look beautiful, and such women as change the features created by Allah. Why then should I not curse those whom the Prophet has cursed? And that is in Allah's Book. i.e. His Saying: 'And what the Apostle gives you take it and what he forbids you abstain (from it).' (59.7)

Surah Al Hashr 59:7

7. What Allah gave as booty (Fai') to His Messenger (Muhammad

) from the people of the townships, - it is for Allah, His Messenger (Muhammad

), the kindred (of Messenger Muhammad

), the orphans, Al-Masakin (the poor), and the wayfarer, in order that it may not become a fortune used by the rich among you. And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad

) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) , and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Severe in punishment.
(Ph.D. & Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan translation)

Jazakumullahu Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
distressed
11-05-2010, 09:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sabr*
Narrated 'Abdullah: Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and those who remove their face hairs, and those who create a space between their teeth artificially to look beautiful, and such women as change the features created by Allah. Why then should I not curse those whom the Prophet has cursed? And that is in Allah's Book. i.e. His Saying: 'And what the Apostle gives you take it and what he forbids you abstain (from it).' (59.7)
most asian women suffer from hirsuitism, so if they aint allowed to remove it, are we supposed to go about our daily life resembling men ? with big tashes ? isnt it haram for woman to resemble a man, and a man to resemble a woman ? would you marry a woman with a big tash ?

format_quote Originally Posted by distressed
what about for women who arent married ? Im sorry I just dont understand why women who have a medical condition are unable to wear cover ups such as wigs ? a hair is seen as a womans crowning glory right ? so if they dont have any through no fault of their own, due to wat eva reason, then what are they expected to do ? Live in misery alone for the rest of their lives ? Sorry i just dont get any of this, im more confused now, i thought it was ok, now apparently its not ?
as for the wig thing, I cant see why if its correcting a defect its wrong ? especially something such as hair for a woman? wat is a woman supposed to do if its something like this beyond her control ?

this is just my opinion btw.

sabr*
11-08-2010, 11:10 PM

Ukhti distressed:

If providing you dalil (evidence) of how practicing Muslimin apply what Allah and Nabi Muhammad (

) permit or forbid doesn't overrule your opinion this thread isn't going to assist you in any decision that is in accordance with Quran and the Sunnah. Allahu 'Alim.

Do what you feel and we will strive to do what we are directed by Quran and Sunnah.

You follow-up a citing from Quran with traditions of Asian women. Astagfirullah!

Perform Salat Istikhara (Prayer of Guidance) for embracing and implementing the Sunnah without any reservation. Insha Allah

), the orphans, Al-Masakin (the poor), and the wayfarer, in order that it may not become a fortune used by the rich among you. And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad

) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) , and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Severe in punishment

Jazakumullahu Khair

جوري
11-09-2010, 12:31 AM
If providing you dalil (evidence) of how practicing Muslimin apply what Allah and Nabi Muhammad ( ) permit or forbid doesn't overrule your opinion this thread isn't going to assist you in any decision that is in accordance with Quran and the Sunnah. Allahu 'Alim.
very true Jazaka Allah khyran.. however, I do believe people are allowed to remove their 'mustaches' which I believe is what she is referring to as 'tash' (Allahu a3lam)
also if there is a medical condition that merits removal of the hair not implanting it. For instance some people who have poly cystic ovary disease develop hirsutism -- which isn't how they would look naturally!

the consensus is, if it is a true medical condition then they should be allowed to remove this according to a lecture I once heard.

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sabr*
11-09-2010, 09:32 PM

Ukhti τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ :

We only address those who use their opinion in opposition to clear dalil (Evidence). Islam doesn't require our opinion. This way of life is already complete and practicing Muslimin just need to follow and apply it.

A lecture can never replace Quran and Sunnah. Anyone speaking can only support what they are saying if Quran and Sunnah is used to validate the discussion.

If a Scholar's fatwa supported by Quran and Sunnah is used and a practicing Muslimin follows it Al Hamdulillah.

Again: Read at least three times! Insha Allah

Surah An Nisa 4:65
65. But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad

) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission.
(Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan translation)

Surah An Nisa 4:115
115. And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger (Muhammad

) after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers' way. We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell - what an evil destination.

Surah Al-Anfal 8:46

46. And obey Allah and His Messenger, and do not dispute (with one another) lest you lose courage and your strength depart, and be patient. Surely, Allah is with those who are As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.).

) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) , and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Severe in punishment

Jazakumullahu Khair

جوري
11-09-2010, 09:45 PM
^^ indeed and no one is arguing against Quran and Sunnah, one is simply arguing against not treating a pathology. You write the rulings on those who choose to beautify themselves with such treatments of plucking. I am writing (and not my opinion) the ruling on what is considered a medical pathology. Women don't usually have beards or do they? You bring me the ruling on mustaches and beards in women due to pathology and I'll not only offer my humble apologies but amend the errors in my way!
Pls. note I am not speaking of wigs for a ca. patient or someone suffering alopecia for the multitudes of reasons since it is incumbent to cover ones hair anyway. I am also not talking of eyebrows. I am asking you to show me the ruling on mustaches and beards for those who suffer a pathology or even those that don't..

Jazaka Allah khyran

جوري
11-09-2010, 09:48 PM
in fact let me add to the above that removing the hair between the eyebrows is allowed since it ISN'T A PART OF THE EYEBROWS.. PLEASE APPLY THAT SAME ANALOGY TO MUSTACHES AND BEARDS IN WOMEN:

Name of Questioner
Yusuf

Title
Removing Hair between the Eyebrows

Question
As-Salamu `alaykum! Is it permissible for a man to remove hair from the chest, back, and between the eyebrows?

Date
23/Sep/2003

Name of Mufti
Rif`at Fawzi `Abd Al-Muttalib

Topic
Dress & Adornment

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Brother, first of all, we’d like to say that we are impressed by your question, which emanates from a thoughtful heart. May Allah Almighty help us all adhere to the principles of this true religion, Islam, and enable us to be among the dwellers of Paradise in the Hereafter, Ameen.

As for your question, Dr. Rif`at Fawzi, professor of Shari`ah at Cairo Univ., states:

"There is no evidence from the Qur'an or the Sunnah that forbids cutting short the hair from the chest and back; but the removal of hair from these parts may be considered a form of imitating women, something forbidden according to the hadith: 'May Allah's curse be inflicted on women imitating men and vice versa.' As for women, it is permissible for them to remove hair from these parts because it causes them harm.

As for removing the hair from between the eyebrows, it is lawful, because it is not part of the eyebrows. But as for plucking the eyebrows, it is forbidden and not permissible in Islam, according to the Hadith: 'May Allah's curse be inflicted upon women who pluck their eyebrows, and women hired to do this.'

What is prohibited is an-Nams, which denotes removing the hair of the eyebrows by plucking in order to make it thin. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have cursed both women who do the plucking and those who seek to have it done. (Reported by Abu Dawud)"

You can also read:

Straightening the Eyebrows

If you are still in need of more information, don't hesitate to contact us. Do keep in touch. May Allah guide us all to the straight path!

Insaanah
11-09-2010, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by distressed
most asian women suffer from hirsuitism, so if they aint allowed to remove it, are we supposed to go about our daily life resembling men ? with big tashes ? isnt it haram for woman to resemble a man, and a man to resemble a woman ?
:sl: sister

True, many Asian women do suffer from this and it can be a problem, and can cause embarrassment, and in some cases, as sister τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ has said, may be associated with certain medical conditions. The majority of scholars seem to be of the viewpoint that hair on the upper lip, under the chin, and the hair in the middle of a unibrow can be removed, and indeed some say it is recommended to remove it to avoid resembling a man, and if married, it can make one more pleasing and beautiful to one's spouse. This is regardless of whether there is a diagnosed pathology or not. Here are some links for you to read:

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...&ID=55&CATE=90
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/9037/upper%20lip
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/637/upper%20lip

:sl:

جوري
11-09-2010, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
sister True, many Asian women do suffer from this and it can be a problem, and can cause embarrassment, and in some cases, as sister τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ has said, may be associated with certain medical conditions. The majority of scholars seem to be of the viewpoint that hair on the upper lip, under the chin, and the hair in the middle of a unibrow can be removed, and indeed some say it is recommended to remove it to avoid resembling a man, and if married, it can make one more pleasing and beautiful to one's spouse. This is regardless of whether there is a diagnosed pathology or not. Here are some links for you to read: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...&ID=55&CATE=90 http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/9037/upper%20lip http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/637/upper%20lip

Jazaki Allah khyran dearest of all sisters for doing the hard work.. it is always my pleasure to read your posts and have your presence on board..

al7mdlillah..

sabr*
11-09-2010, 10:18 PM

Ukhti τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ :

This threads topic is regarding artifical hair and tattooing being forbidden to beautify. Now the fatwa regarding medical and pathology to remove hair should be referred to the Scholars relied upon and the sources. (Citings for Dalil (evidence) verses what someone heard)

We are not opposed to evidence presented to remove hair off a Muslimah.

The references provided are against personal opinions being promoted verses the Quran and the Sunnah on clear dalil. (evidence)

It appears clearification is required.

Jazakumullahu Khair

جوري
11-09-2010, 10:30 PM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم): Ukhti τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ : This threads topic is regarding artifical hair and tattooing being forbidden to beautify. Now the fatwa regarding medical and pathology to remove hair should be referred to the Scholars relied upon and the sources. (Citings for Dalil (evidence) verses what someone heard) We are not opposed to evidence presented to remove hair off a Muslimah. The references provided are against personal opinions being promoted verses the Quran and the Sunnah on clear dalil. (evidence) It appears clearification is required. Jazakumullahu Khair
wa3lykoum aslaam wr wb,
indeed the topic of the thread is regarding artificial hair and tattooing, however other queries were introduced and they follow the same line of questioning. Sister Insanaah and myself have provided several links which you can verify for yourself. You yourself haven't presented anything on the matter either for or against removal of unwanted hair between the eyebrows in the beard and mustache area. You have merely provided evidence that we shouldn't go against the Quran and Sunnah, and no one is arguing against that.

I invite you again to bring me evidence against what myself and sister Insanaanah have provided from trusted Islamic websites or live scholar whose credentials can be verified and I am sure many of us will be willing to amend the errors of our ways..

Jazaka Allah khyran.

sabr*
11-09-2010, 11:01 PM

Ukhti τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ :

I didn't address it because it was off topic. I continue to repost the same evidence but you are not reading it or accepting it.

Will not repost again regarding it because it is off-topic.

Post #39 is clear. Now if another Sahih ahadith provides another view because of another situation (Which hasn't been provided yet) Alhamdulillah. I have no opinions just Quran and Sunnah.

جوري
11-09-2010, 11:10 PM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم): Ukhti τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ : Please remove your last post. I don't hair split a scholars opinion. It isn't my intentions or aim to prove a Muslimin wrong. If a topic has clear dalil (evidence) we present it. We never rationalize our practice with Islam. We adjust our practice to conform with Islam. My response intially was addressed to Ukhti distressed who said in her opinion. Please read the posts before posting.
wa3lykoum aslaam wr wb

I have no intention of removing my last post, given that distressed asked you questions regarding those very topics in her subsequent posts and you have provided NO EVIDENCE as pertains to the subject matter! Again, you provided evidence on not going against the Quran and Sunnah and I don't believe anyone here has done so.

we are inviting you to bring evidence that supports that removing excessive hair in women in the such areas where hair doesn't normally grow as Haram, and we'll be waiting for such evidence insha'Allah, if you can't bring it and I believe you won't be able to for the obvious reason that it is permissible then please concede to the obvious and let others learn and and understand in expansion the rulings on such matter.

You can't merely ask folks to remove their posts because you dislike the responses given or because it goes against your personal beliefs. I say this with great respect not wanting to cause undue discord. But I find it most strange indeed that you keep asking posts to be removed when they are at odds with your own personal opinion!

جوري
11-09-2010, 11:21 PM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم): Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 2, Number 41: Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "If any one of you improve (follows strictly) his Islamic religion then his good deeds will be rewarded ten times to seven hundred times for each good deed and a bad deed will be recorded as it is

wa3lykoum aslaam wr wb.

indeed insha'Allah-- we are still waiting on a hadith to address post number 24 however with something from Quran and Sunnah!

Jazaka Allah khyran

sabr*
11-09-2010, 11:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

wa3lykoum aslaam wr wb.

indeed insha'Allah-- we are still waiting on a hadith to address post number 24 however with something from Quran and Sunnah!

Jazaka Allah khyran
Read and research before responding:

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Number 815:

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and those who remove their face hairs, and those who create a space between their teeth artificially to look beautiful, and such women as change the features created by Allah. Why then should I not curse those whom the Prophet has cursed? And that is in Allah's Book. i.e. His Saying: 'And what the Apostle gives you take it and what he forbids you abstain (from it).' (59.7)

) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) , and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Severe in punishment.

جوري
11-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Read and research before responding: Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Number 815: Narrated 'Abdullah: Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and those who remove their face hairs, and those who create a space between their teeth artificially to look beautiful, and such women as change the features created by Allah. Why then should I not curse those whom the Prophet has cursed? And that is in Allah's Book. i.e. His Saying: 'And what the Apostle gives you take it and what he forbids you abstain (from it).' (59.7) Surah Al Hashr 59:7 7. What Allah gave as booty (Fai') to His Messenger (Muhammad ) from the people of the townships, - it is for Allah, His Messenger (Muhammad ), the kindred (of Messenger Muhammad ), the orphans, Al-Masakin (the poor), and the wayfarer, in order that it may not become a fortune used by the rich among you. And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad ) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) , and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Severe in punishment. (Ph.D. & Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan translation)
you should indeed take your own advise and do all research on the the matter before posting!

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5892; Muslim, 259)

al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The naamisah is the woman who removes hair from the face and the
mutanammisah is the one who asks to have that done. This action is haraam,
unless a woman develops a beard or moustache, in which case it is not
haraam to remove it, rather that is mustahabb in our view.

Sharh al-Nawawi li Saheeh Muslim, 14/106

جوري
11-09-2010, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Waheed
Before ruling out anything as "haram", one must be sure the ruling applies to the given context, and that it wasn't abrogated. E.g. A number of ahadeeth state that a Muslim must not visit the graves, but a later abrogation states that although in the past, the ruling was against it; the ruling was changed from not being allowed, to being recommended.
so very true.. also one needs to look to whether the hadith is mentioned about the normal physiological state or a pathological state-- correct?
Sheikh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, certainly no one can dispute his scholarship and this is what he wrote on eyebrows that can cause a person some problems:
Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
If that is done by means of plucking, then it is haraam, and indeed it is one of the major sins, because it is the “namas” for which the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it. But if it is done by cutting or shaving, then it was regarded as makrooh by some scholars and forbidden by others who regarded it as a kind of “namas”. They said: “ ‘Namas’ does not only mean plucking, rather it is a general word which includes all ways of changing the hair for which Allaah has not granted permission, if it is on the face.” But what we think is that women should not do that unless the hair of the eyebrows is so thick that it hangs down over the eyes and affects her vision, in which case it is o.k. to remove that which is causing the problem.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, part 3, p. 866 (www.islam-qa.com)

أحمد
11-10-2010, 12:08 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

so very true.. also one needs to look to whether the hadith is mentioned about the normal physiological state or a pathological state-- correct?
Sheikh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, certainly no one can dispute his scholarship and this is what he wrote on eyebrows that can cause a person some problems:
Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
If that is done by means of plucking, then it is haraam, and indeed it is one of the major sins, because it is the “namas” for which the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it. But if it is done by cutting or shaving, then it was regarded as makrooh by some scholars and forbidden by others who regarded it as a kind of “namas”. They said: “ ‘Namas’ does not only mean plucking, rather it is a general word which includes all ways of changing the hair for which Allaah has not granted permission, if it is on the face.” But what we think is that women should not do that unless the hair of the eyebrows is so thick that it hangs down over the eyes and affects her vision, in which case it is o.k. to remove that which is causing the problem.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, part 3, p. 866 (http://<a href="http://www.islam-qa....lam-qa.com</a>)

Precisely. This is why a study into the hadeeth is important, rather than blankly throwing narrations around, which maybe out of context or may not have anything to do with the matter at hand. Unfortunately, many of us have less access to knowledge of context, and more access to narrations, which we can paste.

There are ahadeeth which state that it was at some point not allowed for women to pierce their ears, or to wear gold. Just as there are ahadeeth against eating camels. These all were within a certain context and very few, if any consider camels haram based on those ahadeeth, which were specifically restricted to a certain situation. The same applies for the dead people being addressed by Rasoolullah :saws:
هل وجدتم ما وعد ربكم حقا؟ أما نحن وجدنا ما وعد ربنا حقا
Could they hear Rasoolullah :saws:? Yes, for that specific time they could.

If taken out of context, we can all go to graves and start talking to the dead. Will they hear us? No, you cannot make the dead hear you!

(35:22) And not equal are the living and the dead. Indeed, Allah causes to hear whom He wills, but you cannot make hear those in the graves.

:wa:

Flower1111
11-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I heard one shouldnt pluck eyebrows but can remove the hair between the eyebrows as its not part of eyebrow..But i think if a girl has very thick and bushy eyebrows which can make her look very ugly or ppl scared and turn away and tht she mite even not find a spouse due to that..then she is allowed to change it a bit..it is important not to change the eyebrows form completely but few hairs who look strange or stand out should be ok..Allahu a3lam

sabr*
11-12-2010, 11:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Soraya1992
I heard one shouldnt pluck eyebrows but can remove the hair between the eyebrows as its not part of eyebrow..But i think if a girl has very thick and bushy eyebrows which can make her look very ugly or ppl scared and turn away and that she might even not find a spouse due to that..then she is allowed to change it a bit..it is important not to change the eyebrows form completely but few hairs who look strange or stand out should be ok..Allahu a3lam

Ukhti Soraya1992:

One thing that appears constant is the "I think or I feel" verses Allah or his Nabi (

) directed us to follow supported by dalil (evidence).

Jazakumullahu Khair

yt01
11-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Assalamun alaikum. here is a nice hadith, from the i-app daily hadith. I hope its relevant :)

Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Whoever does not argue when he is in the wrong will have a home built for him on the edge of Paradise. Whoever avoids it when he in the right will have a home built for him in the middle of Paradise. And whoever improves his own character, a home will be built for him in the highest part of Paradise.” [Tirmidhi]
Arguing with people is strongly discouraged in Islam. We are to state our point of view and then leave it at that. Nor are we to
Arguing with people rarely gets anyone to change their minds. It usually only produces defensiveness and creates ill feelings between people. The issue becomes a matter of one’s ego and makes it more difficult for a person to change their stance. Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) loves to have Muslims live harmoniously with each other.

Tyrion
11-13-2010, 08:50 AM
I think sabr* needs to relax a little bit... I mean, if you like your women with a fair amount of facial hair, then more power to you... But lets try not to take it too far, especially when other members have provided you with adequate evidences...

sabr*
11-13-2010, 06:55 PM

We didn't create this thread. The thread was compiled from the a thread created titled Artifical hair and tattooing forbidden. The issue regarding the hair removal was within a hadith cited that forbid tattooing. The thread started to get off topic and Akhi Woodrow compiled the posts regarding the hair removal into this thread. We didn't create this thread and really want it deleted or under another members user name.

We don't want to be assoicated with the arguing or fitna. We continue to only provide dalil (evidence) and not our feelings or opinions on topics in the forum.

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...forbidden.html

Jazakumullahu Khair

أحمد
11-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Scholars differ in opinions over many matters; there was a thread informing students of knowledge about such matters. The thread can be found here.

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!