/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to pray with the lights off?

RadiantSky
11-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Salaams :)

Sometimes I feel like I can concentrate better when I pray with the lights out, not completely out so that it is pure darkness but out so that there is just enough light so that objects around the room can still be visible faintly. I also feel the same when I pray with my eyes closed so that I don't get distracted. Is this okay?

Shukran in advance for your help :thankyou:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
11-13-2010, 02:44 PM
I can't see and never heard why it is not okay to turn off the lights.

I'm sure during prophet Muhammad SAW times, they were not much of lights during the night no?

In fact, when I did some sort of workshops last year on how to perform shalah with khusu', one of the technique is to make the room go dark so we can concentrate more.

Also, qiyamulail (the night shalah, tahajjud, witr) is very very mustahhab (close to being fard) and the most mustahhab time is during the darkest part of the night.

tango92
11-13-2010, 03:06 PM
i like it better with the lights out. relying on just whatever natural light you have. because it feels more natural

Woodrow
11-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Those of us who have been born in an industrialized world after the late 1800s have been spoiled by the ability to have lights after dark at our own desire. I would suspect that until this era it was more common for prayers to be said under only natural light or no light at night time as candles and lighting oil etc were usually expensive and seldom used except by the wealthy. I can not find any reason to believe that to pray under the natural conditions Allaah(swt) gave us would be Haram. I think it would make more sense to question if it is permissible to pray under artificial lighting.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
RadiantSky
11-13-2010, 05:50 PM
:sl:

Yeah its just that other day I was praying in my room with my lights out and first my mom comes upstairs and is going on and on about "why is she praying in the dark, doesn't she know that is now allowed." But I just kept praying...and then the second time around my bro litterly comes into my room and turns on the light while I'm praying. So this is why I was just wondering if there is any false in praying without the lights :x I just thought maybe they were rambling about it because it's in hadith, but I'm glad to hear that we can play without lights it truly helps me concentrate.

Thanks for the help ya'll :thankyou:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!