/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Winter fun- what activities do you do?

*charisma*
11-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Winter here gets very depressing! Usually it is spent at home due to harsh conditions, and there's always something to complain about, like if it's not the cold, it's getting a cold/flu.

I realized I like the feeling of being busy and pushing myself to do different activities, it gets my mind off of so many things and has helped my insomnia and introvertedness. One thing I'm trying to do is get into better shape, but since I have been busy with school so much I really have not had time to work out and when I do I just think sleep is so precious :X

I get a month and a half off after the semester ends (last-half of dec, and all of jan) so no more school and I would like to pick up some winter activities to do along with attempting a few goals that I can accomplish during that time, instead of feeling lethargic and bored all the time.

I went iceskating for the first time ever yesterday, I saw death flash before my eyes a few times, but i survived :shade: I started getting better towards the end so I guess with practice it gets easier each time alhemdulilah. I don't want it to be the only thing I do during the winter, so I was wondering what do you do during this time??

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
11-13-2010, 06:07 PM
:sl:

I like winter. I like rain, the sound of thunder, snow and fog. I wish I lived in a big castle, where it is always dark and raining. Yes, I am being serious. I rather go out when it is raining than when it is summer.

جوري
11-13-2010, 06:14 PM
^^ you aren't alone..
there is something so dignified about autumn and winter .. maybe it is the fact that people sport more clothes who knows..

:w:

*charisma*
11-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Assalamu alaikum

I also love the rain! but it doesn't rain here during the winter..it snows.. A LOT and it's extremely cold. It's very nice in the beginning because everything is soo beautiful and white..glistening and what not...til the skies are just always gray, the snow gets dirty and hard, you're wearing 23890323 layers of clothing feeling like a penguin wobbling to your car, and it gets depressing when you no longer see the sun shining or beautiful trees and flowers..but if u have something to do it can turn it all around :p

You live in the UK so I don't think your winter is as harsh as mine :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
11-13-2010, 06:52 PM
A lot will depend on how harsh your winters are. Where I live you do not want to venture more than a matter of minutes distance from any shelter as Blizzards are frequent and often unexpected. But there is much joy to be found in simply hiking and viewing nature. things are in slow motion and sites you normally would not sse become visible.

Some sites I look forward to: (I did not take these pictures and do not claim them to be my own, but they are very representative of common winter sites in the Dakotas)

I am always in awe at the sight of Tanaka (Bison, American Buffalo) in the snow. The amazing survival skills Allaah(swt) has given these fantastic creatures.

Watching a shunka wakan (Horse) play in the snow:

Insha Allaah this afternoon I will be able to get some pictures of mine doing the same. It looks like snow today.

The mysterious, frightening but same time beauty of Shungkmanitutonka (Wolves) in the snow,

This is another scene I may be able to take pictures of myself. We recently found a pack that seems to be staying about 10-15 miles north of us.

Sight seeing and looking at the beauty of nature in the winter time is very wonderous. But, caution must be taken to avoid the winter hazards and always being prepared for a sudden change in the weather.

GuestFellow
11-13-2010, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
^^ you aren't alone..
there is something so dignified about autumn and winter .. maybe it is the fact that people sport more clothes who knows..

:w:

I find it relaxing, summer makes me want to go to sleep.

tango92
11-13-2010, 07:08 PM
the cold does allow for good long, almost, solitary walks in the park.

during winter this yr, im gonna inshallah brush up on my academic goals and not get into the mess I was in last yr. you can always eat some snow kulfi. throw snowballs at each other and all the usual stuff.

i guess just spend time with freinds, youll find something to do inshallah

R Khan
11-13-2010, 07:20 PM
I have started to attend the BJJ sessions which the ISOC brothers organised at college ;D Only bearded peeps allowed :p

Ğħαrєєвαħ
11-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum^But when the snow goes all grey and nasty you cant have any snow fights :-\ unless theres people who like "ice fights" which makes it impossible to pick the ice up as its jammed against the geeky ground!

The roads become all slippy and dangerous, i remember last year some cars slipped upside down :-\, i heard a double decker bus went upside down or was it a normal bus ( i dunno ) :-\, but subhaanAllaah

Long walks in the snow are fun, looking at kids tryna build geeky igloos (or whatever u call it) is funny i dunno why :-\

The taste of snow is sickening :-\

Well looking at the rain or snow fall is fun (well for me) :-\

Well thats all i can think of, for now :-\

Hope you recieve better suggestions insha`Allaah

wa alaaykum salaam

PouringRain
11-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Winter is my favorite season. Often there are plenty of things that fill my days. Building and maintaining the fires in the fireplaces takes time. Today I spent all morning out chopping wood for the upcoming winter. I still have more to do. The winter is also when I do most of my crocheting and knitting. If I am crocheting an afghan it does double duty to keep me warm while I am working on it, and gives me something busy to do with my hands. Where I live we are not fortunate enough to be able to enjoy ice skating, sled riding, or other winter sports, but I do enjoy all of those things. When it does snow I make certain to get the kids outside so they can take advantage of it and play in it or build a snowman. Snow here does not last long, and only comes a few times. When it does come, it can be 10 pm at night and I will wake up the kids and take them out.

tigerkhan
11-14-2010, 04:25 AM
i like winter too much, especially the winter evening.. but it has to much effect on my mood, it make me sad.

Ya sham phr nhe aye gi, is sham ko is waqat ko ayo amar kar lian.....
shaam ho rahi ha dheeray dheeray, tumhari yaadon ka saey chaa rahay han...

PouringRain
11-14-2010, 06:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє

Well looking at the rain or snow fall is fun (well for me) :-\
This part of your post reminded me not only of looking at snow, but of fogging up the windows with breath and drawing pictures on them.

Ummu Sufyaan
11-14-2010, 07:52 AM
wa alaykum us-Salaam
there are plenty of activities you can do when stranded and bored. i dont really agree with the idea that going out=having fun there are so many things you can do when "confined"....its just a matter of finding something you like...try painting/sketching, photography, reading, writing (a poem or story), craft (knitting, etc), cooking, having people over, sleeping, seeking knowledge ....and the list goes on

tango92
11-14-2010, 07:56 AM
try some weight lifting? or fix random broken things around the house

*charisma*
11-14-2010, 08:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
wa alaykum us-Salaam
there are plenty of activities you can do when stranded and bored. i dont really agree with the idea that going out=having fun there are so many things you can do when "confined"....its just a matter of finding something you like...try painting/sketching, photography, reading, writing (a poem or story), craft (knitting, etc), cooking, having people over, sleeping, seeking knowledge ....and the list goes on
I do a lot of that stuff already, I don't go out much which is why I'm seeking something different :D I do everything you can expect tht can be done indoors haha

format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
try some weight lifting? or fix random broken things around the house
ill probably be doing that regardless!

I guess I'll just have to wait for an LI get together and we can just have a huge massive snowball fight :D

I actually forgot about snowball fights..been too long, maybe we'll hv one this year who knows, I just hope it wont be so cold!

Trumble
11-14-2010, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ProfessorSunday
I like winter. I like rain, the sound of thunder, snow and fog. I wish I lived in a big castle, where it is always dark and raining. Yes, I am being serious. I rather go out when it is raining than when it is summer.
I can relate to that, I'm certainly not a hot weather person either. I prefer autumn/fall to winter; I just love all the colours of the leaves and that particular smell, almost feel, in the air. Things are slowly going to sleep, but only to be born anew the next spring.

Don't know about a castle, though.. I think I'd go for a suitably Gothic country house with a huge library with a comfy armchair and shelves upon shelves of good books to read and study into the depths of the night. Once upon a time that would have been fuelled by strong coffee and a good scotch (and I can kind of see myself with a 'Sherlock Holmes' style pipe as well, wreathed in smoke - although I don't smoke!) but these days I guess it would have to be fruit juice and Lucozade. :)

GuestFellow
11-14-2010, 03:04 PM
^ I used to be into goth... :/

Woodrow
11-14-2010, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

Winter here gets very depressing! Usually it is spent at home due to harsh conditions, and there's always something to complain about, like if it's not the cold, it's getting a cold/flu.

I realized I like the feeling of being busy and pushing myself to do different activities, it gets my mind off of so many things and has helped my insomnia and introvertedness. One thing I'm trying to do is get into better shape, but since I have been busy with school so much I really have not had time to work out and when I do I just think sleep is so precious :X

I get a month and a half off after the semester ends (last-half of dec, and all of jan) so no more school and I would like to pick up some winter activities to do along with attempting a few goals that I can accomplish during that time, instead of feeling lethargic and bored all the time.

I went iceskating for the first time ever yesterday, I saw death flash before my eyes a few times, but i survived :shade: I started getting better towards the end so I guess with practice it gets easier each time alhemdulilah. I don't want it to be the only thing I do during the winter, so I was wondering what do you do during this time??

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Those who live in the colder climates do need to be especially active during the winter months. the very short days with limited sunshine can be very depressing. the key to handling it is to increase activity during this time of year.

Learn a new language

Take up a new hobby

Find outdoor activities to do,

Try not to spend too much time in sedentary activities, work in some physical activity as well.

Keep the lights in your house as bright as possible for 8-10 hours per day no more, no less, be certain to dim them or turn them off for the rest of the time.

do not get lost on the TV

Eat more high calorie foods

If all else fails sit on a coconut until it hatches (KEEP A SENSE OF HUMOR)find things to smile about

sister herb
11-14-2010, 08:37 PM
This is my most common activity in winter...

S_87
11-14-2010, 08:41 PM
winter time is extreme shopping time!!!!!!!!!

*charisma*
11-14-2010, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

Those who live in the colder climates do need to be especially active during the winter months. the very short days with limited sunshine can be very depressing. the key to handling it is to increase activity during this time of year.

Learn a new language

Take up a new hobby

Find outdoor activities to do,

Try not to spend too much time in sedentary activities, work in some physical activity as well.

Keep the lights in your house as bright as possible for 8-10 hours per day no more, no less, be certain to dim them or turn them off for the rest of the time.

do not get lost on the TV

Eat more high calorie foods

If all else fails sit on a coconut until it hatches (KEEP A SENSE OF HUMOR)find things to smile about
lool! jazak allahu khair for all the suggestions!! ur right it does get very depressing..our winters can be as harsh as in those pix u showed..
why'd u mention a high caloric foods??

format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
This is my most common activity in winter...

aww inshallah your winter will be better!!

format_quote Originally Posted by S_87
winter time is extreme shopping time!!!!!!!!!
I cant shop like that I hate it hahaa, I am a fool for nice gadgets tho :D

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Woodrow
11-14-2010, 11:42 PM
lool! jazak allahu khair for all the suggestions!! ur right it does get very depressing..our winters can be as harsh as in those pix u showed..
why'd u mention a high caloric foods??

You will need to spend as much time outdoors as you possibly can. To help defeat the feelings of lethargy and depression. In order to do so you will require considerably more calaries, especially after the temperatures get below zero. Yo not only need the calories to carry on activities you will also need them to keep your body temperature up. Without sufficient calories hypothermia can affect you in just a matter of minutes.

Without the added calories, you can not carry on any out door activities for more than a few minutes. (Unless you wear ever bit of clothing you own, but then you would not be able to even move never mind getting out doors) This is based on the assumption that nearly every day will be below freezing during your winter months.

Maryan0
11-15-2010, 12:42 AM
I live in a prairie province so our winters are pretty harsh. I remember last year we were 3 degrees short of Siberia which was -45 degrees and we were -43. The only thing you can do is stay inside the house and put on the heat and hope it doesn't malfunction and only venture out when you must. I like winter in the very beginning but it lasts way too long... but I always miss the winter when it's summer.
Salam

GuestFellow
11-15-2010, 01:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
:wa:

Your sense of humor is awesome. Its so simple yet so effective.

If I get bored, I laugh...watch or read something funny...I love to laugh until I can't breathe.

Tyrion
11-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Fall and Winter are the best. :D

We also get a month off after the semester ends, and I plan on using most of it to sleep... This semester has been tough... Actually, I've got another midterm tomorrow, so I'm not really sure why I'm here typing this. :p

But yeah, my plan right now is to catch up on sleep, start job hunting, start taking longs walks outside, hang out/catch up with some friends, and probably spend countless hours playing the new Call of Duty. :p (If I end up buying it...)

Ansariyah
11-16-2010, 12:23 AM
I love to Ice'Skate, it's one of the best things about winter for me! I like taking long walks with a good friend or family, just talking n ofcourse Shopping!! The days are so short in Winter, the light is soo precious, so I love making the most of it bein out. : )

Grace Seeker
11-16-2010, 05:47 AM
I used to get depressed every winter. Had no idea why, I just thought it was stress of all the stuff I had to do in the winters. Then I learned to ski and started spending more time outside doing things and I noticed that I wasn't as depressed, even though I was actually busier and under more stress than ever. The last few years I've built it into my schedule, as important as a business meeting, to get outside some every day no matter how cold it is, and both my mental and my physical health are better for it.

My favorite winter activity is skiing. Which I was over 30 when I learned, and now I'm actually an instructor. So, it's never too late. It's also such an aerobic activity you aren't going to be near as cold doing it as you might think. Some other good winter time activities: ice skating, sledding, shoveling snow (I really do actually enjoy this in small increments), going for walks, cross-country skiing (a completely different sort of sport from downhill skiing), roller-skating (indoors of course), swimming (also indoors), flag football (I'm too old for any other kind anymore), basketball, racketball, and the already mentioned snowball fights. Plus, when I can find a friend with a horse, horseback riding is a great winter activity as well.

I also know a lot of folks who like jazzercize, tai kwan do, and zumba.

أحمد
11-16-2010, 05:10 PM

Pre-winter activity: Buy some Grean Tea!

Winter activity one: Keeping warm!

Winter activity two: Drinking plenty of Grean Tea!

Winter activity three: De-icing the car!

Winter activity four: Driving very slow!

Winter activity five: Catching a cold!

Winter activity six: Drinking more Grean Tea!

Winter activity seven: Nearly everything else, including work, study or whatever you'd normally do.

Winter activity eight: Pay higher energy bills!

Winter activity nine: Don't forget to breathe.

:wa:

S.Belle
11-16-2010, 05:59 PM
I went iceskating for the first time ever yesterday, I saw death flash before my eyes a few times, but i survived

hahaha its soo hard right? i went with a friend once and im really clumsy by nature so that experience was rather painful...yet fun lol

I love winter weather its the best you get to go out and bundle up in a bunch of clothes and drink hot chocolate. Or you can stay inside and read and spend more time with your family if the roads are closed and there is no school/work.

The taste of snow is sickening
you must have never had jack wax its yummy sis

sister herb
11-16-2010, 09:28 PM
мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє;
Try catching snow flakes by tongue... it might be more tasty. ;D

Ğħαrєєвαħ
11-16-2010, 11:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
you must have never had jack wax its yummy sis
Nope never had geeky "Jack wax", what does it taste like? Snow im assuming?

format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє;
Try catching snow flakes by tongue... it might be more tasty. ;D
:-\ :-\ :-\

S.Belle
11-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Nope never had geeky "Jack wax", what does it taste like? Snow im assuming?

no maple syrup
http://www.food.com/recipe/Jack-Wax-138409

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!