/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Blasphemy

anonymous
11-15-2010, 03:50 PM
:sl:

If you hear someone swearing to god, in a work situation whats the best way to deal with it ? if its not said directly to you, but you overhear a conversation, not out of eavesdropping but cos there not very quite in talking.

does it matter if the person is a different religion hindu sikh, etc, and therefore when they are directly swearing its not to our god ? and they are actually referring to one of their idols ?

as a muslim is it better to voice our concerns ? or stay quite to not attract attention ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
:salamext:

If they're insulting Allah, or the Originator and Creator of everything - leave them totally, or face them and correct their misunderstandings about Him. Why should they insult the One who created them and provides for them.

If they're talking about an idol, correct them as to why an idol isn't really God.

GuestFellow
11-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Ignore them, if they are being silly. They will not listen to you.

If you are going to confront them, do it later. You will need time to reflect on how to correct him. Make sure you have enough knowledge in order to refute his points. Do this only if you feel they might hear you out.

Plus, is there not a policy in work places, not to discuss religious, political or controversial issues? You could refer this instance to your manager but check with your workplace policy.

anonymous
11-15-2010, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
If they're insulting Allah, or the Originator and Creator of everything - leave them totally, or face them and correct their misunderstandings about Him. Why should they insult the One who created them and provides for them. If they're talking about an idol, correct them as to why an idol isn't really God

he wasnt insulting allah. hes hindu, so im presuming they take part in idol worship. He just swore at god, (while talking to someone else, and i overheard,). I dont know if im allowed to repeat what was said, but the thing is i was in total shock, and i didnt want to but into the conversation either, at the same time i see this person differently now. the thing is now that same sentence keeps going on, in replay in my head. how do i get rid of it ? seen as though its not something i believe?

format_quote Originally Posted by ProfessorSunday
Ignore them, if they are being silly. They will not listen to you. If you are going to confront them, do it later. You will need time to reflect on how to correct him. Make sure you have enough knowledge in order to refute his points. Do this only if you feel they might hear you out. Plus, is there not a policy in work places, not to discuss religious, political or controversial issues? You could refer this instance to your manager but check with your workplace policy.
your right, i dont think i'll get listened too. lets face it muslims are weird to other religions, well thats what i usally get in my workplace. I often get put on the spot, & it used to bother me but not anymore but i know how to handle this. what i wanted to know was, did i do right in staying quite ? or shud i have put my point across, even though i overheard ? tbh the reason why the guy swore in the first place, was pathetic.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
11-15-2010, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
what i wanted to know was, did i do right in staying quite ? or shud i have put my point across, even though i overheard ? tbh the reason why the guy swore in the first place, was pathetic.
I think you were fine by being quiet. However, I do think you should report him to your manager if you are unable to concentrate on your work and if he is bothering you.

tango92
11-15-2010, 08:44 PM
often on a personal basis your actions and your relationship will be a big contributing force in how this person sees islam. you should be gentle in conversation, especially about idols, because at least the hindus i knew were very sensitive about it. especially if you try to suggest the idol has no power to help them etc etc

you should be subtle and try to get them to realise these things on their own. likewise you should try to bring up islam subtely during conversation so as to not look overly defensive or offensive. if you work with them inshallah youll have some time to get the message across.

anonymous
11-15-2010, 09:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ProfessorSunday
I think you were fine by being quiet. However, I do think you should report him to your manager if you are unable to concentrate on your work and if he is bothering you.

hes not bothering me, its just i didnt expect someone so intelligent to insult god (even if he is a different faith) over such a trivial matter, seriously it was pathetic. Im not very vocal, and its only afterwards that i started thinking "should i have said something"

format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
often on a personal basis your actions and your relationship will be a big contributing force in how this person sees islam. you should be gentle in conversation, especially about idols, because at least the hindus i knew were very sensitive about it. especially if you try to suggest the idol has no power to help them etc etc you should be subtle and try to get them to realise these things on their own. likewise you should try to bring up islam subtely during conversation so as to not look overly defensive or offensive. if you work with them inshallah youll have some time to get the message across.
if im honest im outnumbered in terms of being the only muslim in the office, + i dont really talk to blokes, unless its to do with work, if it was a woman, then i would have been more comfortable in saying something and asking her to explain, and then maybe putting my points across. If there was a hint that this bloke was interested, i would attempt it, but thing is, he doesnt even take his own religion seriously, cos just before his outburst, he mentioned that his religion was laid back, he still eats meat and drinks, even though there not supposed to. so if hes not serious about his own, hes hardly going to be interested in mine is he ? I just felt like i had sinned, cos i didnt voice my opinion.

jazakhalla, for the input.

Alpha Dude
11-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Wa alaykum salam,

When he swore at God, did he mean it as an insult against Allah/was it directed at you? Or was it generally in reference to God?

I think it was best that you didn't say anything though either way. You have to direct him to Islam in the first place, I would say, before you can teach him the manners of respecting Allah

anonymous
11-16-2010, 09:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
Wa alaykum salam, When he swore at God, did he mean it as an insult against Allah/was it directed at you? Or was it generally in reference to God?

It wasnt directed at me, nor allah, as i sed it was in conversation with someone else, and i overheard. he just sed god is ******. Ive spoken to another person about this, and they just sed that its normal, for people to swear at god, you only have to go on the media pages and any religious article, gets trashy comments, obviously muslims are hardly seen in a good light, ive never been in this situation before, nor have i heard such remarks, so i wasnt sure what to do, and i was told that i was over reacting. tbh i just thort i was disgusting, cos there was no real reason, for insults.

format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
think it was best that you didn't say anything though either way. You have to direct him to Islam in the first place, I would say, before you can teach him the manners of respecting Allah
If i even thought for one minute that person or anyone else was interested i would try, but i can tell when someone is interested or if generally just letting off steam, and from wat i understood, he had no respect for his own religion.

:wa:

- Qatada -
11-16-2010, 12:14 PM
:salamext:

The best way to get rid of such a thought is to find an answer which refutes what he claimed. This way you're more fully prepared to respond if you face a similar statement.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!