/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Arabic meanings for names

abdulcader
11-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

We are hoping for some help with three names we have chosen for our baby, due any day now Insh'Allah. We would appreciate anyone who can tell us if the names are authentic arabic and what their precise meanings are.

The names we wanted to check are:

Aneesa
Alina
Naila

For Naila, we also have heard that this name was used for a pre-Islamic goddess. We would like to know that given this usage, whether it would be appropriate or right to be used as a baby name.

Salaams and thanks to you all

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
11-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Walaykum as Salaam

format_quote Originally Posted by abdulcader
Assalamu Alaikum,

We are hoping for some help with three names we have chosen for our baby, due any day now Insh'Allah.
may Allah makes her arrival safe & easy , Ameen.

For Naila, we also have heard that this name was used for a pre-Islamic goddess. We would like to know that given this usage, whether it would be appropriate or right to be used as a baby name.
I don't know the meaning of Naila , but may be it's not good to give a Muslim girl name of a goodess .

And Allah Knows Best.

PouringRain
11-17-2010, 02:58 AM
You can check the following sites:

http://www.babynamespedia.com/
http://www.behindthename.com/
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/

Off hand, because I have read and own countless baby name books, I know that the first name you chose is Arabic. I have always loved the name "Anisah" (although my preference is for this spelling). It means friend, friendly, close friend, etc.

The second name you chose .... from my own understanding... is not Arabic; although, it could be originally Arabic and borrowed and popularized by other countries for origin (?). It means "bright and beautiful" and now I have the song stuck in my head "All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small. All things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all...." That name always makes me think of that song. LOL

I know nothing about the third name you chose. Check the sites I linked to above. I saw a beautiful female muslim name last week, but I won't offer any suggestions. :)

All the best to you and your wife in your search for a beautiful name for your baby girl! There are plenty of wonderful Arabic names out there to choose from. And may God give you a healthy baby!

Amat Allah
11-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Naa`elah or Naila: is from Generosity and Giving...and it is the name of the wife of Oth`maan Bin Af`faan one of Allah`s Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) companions and the third of the guided caliphs (may Allah be pleased with them all)...it is ok to name your baby with it and if it wasn`t then Rasool Allah would change it just like he did with some of his wives and companions names...

Aneesah: is from amiability and kindness, is the kind and warm person whom you return to as a friend and who makes you forget loneliness...and it is the name of the foster sister of Rasool Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) her mother is Haleemah Assa`adeeyah The woman who breastfed The prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)...

Alina: I don`t know if it is the same word in Arabic which is Al`leena: it means softness and tenderness...

and Allah knows the best...

May Allah bless you and your children and reward you all with the highest level of the Paradise and all the Ummah Ameeeeeen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
abdulcader
11-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Thank you very much all for the replies....extremely helpful and I think we can now make our choice!

JazakAllah Khayr

Amat Allah
11-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Wa Iyakum my respected and noble brother Ameeeeeeeeen

Haider100
11-19-2010, 02:10 PM
What is the meaning of Haider?

Amat Allah
11-19-2010, 03:13 PM
haider=the great lion

Haider100
11-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Thank you very much for the translation!

Haider100
11-19-2010, 03:55 PM
What does Amat mean?

~Raindrop~
11-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Amat is the feminine form of Abd- means Servant.
So Amat Allah: Servant of Allah, which is the feminine equivalent of Abdullah.

Amat Allah
11-20-2010, 06:19 AM
Doesn`t Servant mean Khaadim? and Amat means Slave?

~Raindrop~
11-20-2010, 06:14 PM
You're right, I didn't think to make a difference between servant/slave :)

Amat Allah
11-21-2010, 11:29 AM
May Allah love my sweet heart Ameeen Jazaki Allahu khayran katheeran for the explanation ...Ameeeen

They are close to each other in meaning...Amat means the female slave and Khaadimah means female servant...

And all slaves are servants but not all servants are slaves...and Allah knows the best...

My respected brother Haider Jazakum Allahu khayran too and May Allah be pleased with you Ameeen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!