/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Poppy burning

LauraS
11-17-2010, 08:45 PM
In reaction to the thread about not harming non-Muslims and I was asked why don't I post about attacks against non-Muslims. Also to show how there are nutters on both side of the coin.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ing-protest.do

What they don't think of is that the poppies are a symbol for all those who died in the two world wars in which Muslim soldiers fought alongside the Allies against the Nazis.

Akf Suyeb, of the mosque, told the Portsmouth News: "We condemn the people who burnt the poppies, and we do show our respect to the people who died in war.
"After all, Indian people, Muslim people, also died during the first and second world wars. We should remember that.

Also shows what can happen if we all pull together.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
11-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi,

What on Earth are they going to achieve by burning poppies? It is pretty pathetic. There are more peaceful ways to protest against wars.

What they don't think of is that the poppies are a symbol for all those who died in the two world wars in which Muslim soldiers fought alongside the Allies against the Nazis.
Probably not paying attention in history class.

I dislike it when some Muslims resort to standards of protest that annoys non-Muslims. I remember the protests against Muslims, and I hope Muslims don't adopt these tactics. Personally, I find this whole controversy embarrassing.

potentialmuslim
11-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Whilst this 'protest' was disgusting and idiotic, it was just a small bunch of fascists. I find the media reaction to be much worse - calling them "Muslims" and "Islamic protesters" whilst strictly true, gave a grossly distorted and misleading impression that their views are common amongst British Muslims. This is going to stoke religious and racial divisions between Muslims and non-Muslims, creating resentment and perpetuating ignorance amongst non-Muslims.

Perseveranze
11-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Would've been better if the protest was in regards to the innocents killed in Iraq/Iran/Afganistan due to the Western countries ILLEGAL invasion.

However, it should always be done in a peaceful manner, this was pretty pathetic.

format_quote Originally Posted by potentialmuslim
Whilst this 'protest' was disgusting and idiotic, it was just a small bunch of fascists. I find the media reaction to be much worse - calling them "Muslims" and "Islamic protesters" whilst strictly true, gave a grossly distorted and misleading impression that their views are common amongst British Muslims. This is going to stoke religious and racial divisions between Muslims and non-Muslims, creating resentment and perpetuating ignorance amongst non-Muslims.
Yup.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
11-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Pretty stupid thing to do on behalf of these muslims, maybe if imams stood up and condemned these illegal wars more often, then we wouldn't have dodgy groups like these appearing

Mohamed_Sadiq
11-20-2010, 09:15 PM
------------------

سيف الله
11-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Salaam

Yeah I agree with all of the above, burning the poppies was a very very bad idea :hmm:

I don't think Muslims should defile other countries sacred ceremonies so to speak regardless of what it is being used for.

For me personally I like the idea of a ceremony that commemorates the war dead with the goal of stopping future wars. But in this case remembrance day is little more than a glorification of militarism (particularly with the honouring of the 'heroes' of Afghanistan or Iraq). In that case I choose not to take part in it.

Al-Indunisiy
11-21-2010, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Junon
Salaam

Yeah I agree with all of the above, burning the poppies was a very very bad idea :hmm:

I don't think Muslims should defile other countries sacred ceremonies so to speak regardless of what it is being used for.

For me personally I like the idea of a ceremony that commemorates the war dead with the goal of stopping future wars. But in this case remembrance day is little more than a glorification of militarism (particularly with the honouring of the 'heroes' of Afghanistan or Iraq). In that case I choose not to take part in it.
Ah, your post reminds me again of my own opinion on militarism.

LauraS
11-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I think you're being unfair about the media in this instance and you certainly can't say their reaction is worse than the poppy burners. As much as these people may not reflect the opinions of mainstream Muslims the fact is they are Muslims. The Jews who interrupted that speech and ripped up Qu'rans are fanatics then, but on this board they are still called Jews. Also there is a quote given from a fellow Muslim who speaks out against it, showing not all Muslims agree with it.

I agree, for me remembrance day is for WW1 and WW2. While I can't stand what I seen/heard/read of the taliban, Iraq and Afghanistan are completely different.

سيف الله
11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Salaam

Just one last point, many people mark commemorate the remembrance day in different ways. For example some wear a white poppy instead of the red poppy.

However there have been controversial (but peaceful) protests, for example at Celtic park fans managed to unfurl this banner.

So the controversy is not confined to Muslims so to speak.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!