/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Interfaith Cooperation Possible?

Eric H
11-18-2010, 05:19 PM
A belated Eid Mubarik to you all,

I have been invited to an interfaith forum on Monday, and I hope to test the waters by asking if we can work and pray together.

Christians are starting to work together out on the streets late at night, through an initiative called Street Pastors. This involves going out late on a Friday night, and coming into contact with drugs, aggression, drink, gangs and rowdy behaviour. I feel so blessed that I am able to do this with Christians from 8 different churches, we pray for each other, we pray for the people on the streets.

My hopes and prayers would be for some kind of interfaith cooperation, whereby Muslims, Christians, Hindu and all others could work together.

I have been a Street Pastor for two years now, and it is such a wonderful ministry, here is a short video on Street Pastors,

Torbay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClX9E...eature=related
Longsight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djMtHhUFK2A

Blessings and peace be with you all

Eric

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
11-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Salaam / Peace

thanks for Eid greetings and trying to help others.

Muslims in your city are not doing anything to call people to good ? :(

glo
11-18-2010, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
I have been invited to an interfaith forum on Monday, and I hope to test the waters by asking if we can work and pray together.

My hopes and prayers would be for some kind of interfaith cooperation, whereby Muslims, Christians, Hindu and all others could work together.

Blessings and peace be with you all

Eric
Amen to that, Eric.

Please share with us how things go at the interfaith forum.
I always wonder what kind of world we could create, if Christians and Muslims and people from other faiths could pool their resources and energies to jointly help those in need and bring a message of God's love and his instruction to us to do good, be kind and care for the weaker members of society.

How much time and energy and money do we waste fighting and arguing between each other and amongst ourselves ... ?! imsad

aadil77
11-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I don't think faith has anything to do with this, that there needs to be 'cooperation' between the faiths, this a social/communal cause to go out and guide others. So people whether of faith or no faith would do it because of their own morals and beliefs in helping society become a better place.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tango92
11-18-2010, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Amen to that, Eric.

Please share with us how things go at the interfaith forum.
I always wonder what kind of world we could create, if Christians and Muslims and people from other faiths could pool their resources and energies to jointly help those in need and bring a message of God's love and his instruction to us to do good, be kind and care for the weaker members of society.

How much time and energy and money do we waste fighting and arguing between each other and amongst ourselves ... ?! imsad
but it depends on "which God" we are talking about. i believe jesus and the holy spirit have nothing to offer these people. especially seeing as jesus couldnt even help himself....

glo
11-18-2010, 10:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
but it depends on "which God" we are talking about. i believe jesus and the holy spirit have nothing to offer these people. especially seeing as jesus couldnt even help himself....
Hi tango

That illustrates my point.
Yes, our understanding of God might be different - quite markedly different even. But should that stop us from working together towards a better and more caring world?

Does your religion tell you to care for those in need? - So does mine.
Does your religion instruct you to be polite and kind to all, regardless of their faith? - So does mine.
Does your religion encourage you to give to the poor? - So does mine.
Does your religion tell you to put aside your own desires and to submit to and obey God? - So does mine.

So following God (even if our understanding of him is not the same) should not stop us from standing side by side and making this world a better place.
Arguing about our differences and who is right and why or why not, that's what's stopping us from standing side by side!

tango92
11-18-2010, 10:34 PM

Hi tango

That illustrates my point.
Yes, our understanding of God might be different - quite markedly different even. But should that stop us from working together towards a better and more caring world?

Does your religion tell you to care for those in need? - So does mine.
Does your religion instruct you to be polite and kind to all, regardless of their faith? - So does mine.
Does your religion encourage you to give to the poor? - So does mine.
Does your religion tell you to put aside your own desires and to submit to and obey God? - So does mine.

So following God (even if our understanding of him is not the same) should not stop us from standing side by side and making this world a better place.
Arguing about our differences and who is right and why or why not, that's what's stopping us from standing side by side!
you appear to be under the delusion i want to be united with the christians. Islam seeks to eradicate all false beliefs. i will try my best not to portray christianity in a positve light, i do not want to help sell the pack of lies of chrisitanity. thats how i feel wether you like it or not

if you do not believe the same about christianity it means you do not really believe it to be truth. how can there be more than 1 truth? and if you really believed you had the truth and you really cared about me wouldnt you seek to eradicate my false belief?

وَقُلْ جَاء الْحَقُّ وَزَهَقَ الْبَاطِلُ إِنَّ الْبَاطِلَ كَانَ زَهُوقًا
And say: Truth hath come and falsehood hath vanished away. Lo! falsehood is ever bound to vanish.

quran 9:33 It is He Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad SAW) with guidance and the religion of truth (Islam), to make it superior over all religions even though the Mushrikun (polytheists, pagans, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah) hate (it).

Eric H
11-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Muslim Woman, glo, and aadil,

Thanks for your words of encouragement, and they give me hope that we can work together for justice for all people.

In the spirit of praying for a greater interfaith friendship and cooperation.

Eric

Eric H
11-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Greetings and peace be with you tango92; and thanks for your reply,

Beyond any doubt whatsoever, the same God who created you and gave you a faith through Islam, also created me and gave me a faith through Christianity. Beyond any doubt the same God hears all our prayers, despite our differences.

I believe that scriptures are intended to change ourselves, problems arise when I try and use Christian Scriptures to try and change you. I can relate to many passages in Islam, and I believe that God has given each of us the tools to strive towards justice for all people

The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said, “Shall I inform you of the best morals of this world and the hereafter?

They are to forgive he who oppresses you, to make a bond with he who severs from you, to be kind to he who insults you, and to give to he who deprives you.
Pray for Others to Heal Yourself.

The Prophet was always concerned about other people, Muslims and non-Muslims, and would regularly pray for them. Praying for others connects you with them and helps you understand their suffering. This in itself has a healing component to it. The Prophet has said that praying for someone who is not present increases love
In the spirit of praying for a greater interfaith friendship and understanding

Eric

tango92
11-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Greetings and peace be with you tango92; and thanks for your reply,

Beyond any doubt whatsoever, the same God who created you and gave you a faith through Islam, also created me and gave me a faith through Christianity. Beyond any doubt the same God hears all our prayers, despite our differences.

I believe that scriptures are intended to change ourselves, problems arise when I try and use Christian Scriptures to try and change you. I can relate to many passages in Islam, and I believe that God has given each of us the tools to strive towards justice for all people

In the spirit of praying for a greater interfaith friendship and understanding

Eric
but this is boring

and i believe those hadith (if authentic) apply only to praying for muslims. muslims can only pray the non muslims are guided. sorry if I burst your bubble

tango92
11-18-2010, 11:35 PM
but this is boring

and i believe those hadith (if authentic) apply only to praying for muslims. muslims can only pray the non muslims are guided. sorry if I burst your bubble
just to clarify, muslims are allowed to help non muslims in a worldly sense but not make prayer for them

serena77
11-18-2010, 11:41 PM
I think that interfaith cooperation .... i something that shuld happen... that doesn't mean the way that my current parish holds masses w/ spanish vietnamese and hispanic... but certainly and understanding... an acceptance..... as an example.... both muslims/catholics are very anti abortion... there should be nothing to keep the two from working together for the common good.... but sadly most people in this area and other rural areas are very closed minded. its sad that this thread even needed to be started as far as i'm concerned.
serena

Eric H
11-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Greetings and peace be with you serena77;

It makes more sense to work together than to work against each other, and it does seem crazy that our faith almost seems to get in the way of seeking justice for all people.

In the spirit of praying for a greater interfaith friendship

Eric

Eric H
11-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Greetings and peace be with you tango92;

but this is boring.
It is boring just talking, but I am out tomorrow night with Christians from several denominations, we shall be out until around 3 am; striving to bring a little more care and kindness into our community. It would be wonderful if we could work towards an interfaith version of Street Pastors.

We are all a part of God’s wonderful creation, and I believe we should be able to pray for all of God’s creation, and that includes people who believe differently to me.

just to clarify, muslims are allowed to help non muslims in a worldly sense but not make prayer for them.
We have to start somewhere, and that is a good starting point, there is hope for mankind.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people despite our differences.

Eric

Woodrow
11-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Peace Eric,

Cooperation among people of different faiths is possible and can be done as long as the help is restricted to the material needs of this world. It is also conducive for cooperation if the help is done anonymously with no mention of any religion being the provider of the help other then perhaps saying something like "This is a gift from the one creator and distributed through the combined efforts of people from all faiths and followings"

glo
11-19-2010, 06:22 AM
you appear to be under the delusion i want to be united with the christians.
Personally, I hope and pray that more people will put their differences aside and strive for a better world, where people of all backgrounds, races and religions can co-exist in harmony, where wealth is more equally distributed and where people can live safely and with dignity.

but this is boring
How can understanding and working with people of other faiths be boring?

tango92
11-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Personally, I hope and pray that more people will put their differences aside and strive for a better world, where people of all backgrounds, races and religions can co-exist in harmony, where wealth is more equally distributed and where people can live safely and with dignity.

well i pray the whole world will become muslim. if you really believed in christianity im sure youd think the same

How can understanding and working with people of other faiths be boring?
as Eric said. talking is boring without taking action.

glo
11-19-2010, 06:42 AM
well i pray the whole world will become muslim. if you really believed in christianity im sure youd think the same
I think that in order to work with people from other faiths you have to be able - at least to some degree and for the duration of your working together - to lay aside those feelings and to focus on the common goal.

Imagine you and I were collecting money for a charity which supports a cause we both hold dear.
Could we not stand together and do that?
Whether we think (or not) that each other's faiths are wrong, and whether we wish (or not) that the other would convert to our faith shouldn't have much (if any) bearing on the charitable work we do. Should it?

I agree with that.

tango92
11-19-2010, 08:28 AM
I think that in order to work with people from other faiths you have to be able - at least to some degree and for the duration of your working together - to lay aside those feelings and to focus on the common goal.

Imagine you and I were collecting money for a charity which supports a cause we both hold dear.
Could we not stand together and do that?
Whether we think (or not) that each other's faiths are wrong, and whether we wish (or not) that the other would convert to our faith shouldn't have much (if any) bearing on the charitable work we do. Should it?

I agree with that.
no on an international/large scale we should work together as the large number of parties involved etc means no party is seen as promoting their beliefs as such. so the context changes. "street pastors" is by its very name a means by which the christians move on to the streets to spread the "love". in doing so it is a direct attempt of dawah of christianity IMO. and by bringing islam into it people will think islam=chrisitanity. and i dont want to spread the word of chrisianity nor drag islam down to the level of christianity.

siam
11-19-2010, 09:46 AM
tango

are you not filled with pride and arrogance?---Islam calls us to humility to do God's will. This means to understand and keep in mind that God is all-powerful and all-knowing. Therefore, if God wants to spread Islam there is nothing human beings can do about it and if God wants to spread other than Islam, there is nothing human beings can do about it either. Our duty is to do God's will and leave the rest in his hands. And God's will is to have right belief that promotes right intentions that create right actions for the benefit of all of God's creations. If you cannot trust in God, you don't have right belief---only pride and arrogance.

Remember----God is Unity.

GuestFellow
11-19-2010, 10:15 AM

Hi Eric,

I think Interfaith Cooperation is possible. In order to achieve this, it is best to focus on what these religious group have in common rather than differences. It is difficult because within these religious groups, there is some conflict. For example, in the Muslim community, we have some Muslims racist to other Muslims and put nationalism first.

It is possible to have people from different religious beliefs working together but at the same time, to overcome the problems within these religious groups.

Eric H
11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Greetings and peace be with you siam

format_quote Originally Posted by siam
tango

are you not filled with pride and arrogance?---Islam calls us to humility to do God's will. This means to understand and keep in mind that God is all-powerful and all-knowing. Therefore, if God wants to spread Islam there is nothing human beings can do about it and if God wants to spread other than Islam, there is nothing human beings can do about it either. Our duty is to do God's will and leave the rest in his hands. And God's will is to have right belief that promotes right intentions that create right actions for the benefit of all of God's creations. If you cannot trust in God, you don't have right belief---only pride and arrogance.

What an amazing response, and Street Pastors is very much about putting aside our own differences, and trusting in God. I believe we do about one percent, we just put our trust in God, and God does the rest. When we hand over all our trust to God, I experience a peace that transcends all my understanding, especially in time when I should feel fear and anxiety in times of confrontation.

Blessings and peace be with you

Eric

Muslim Woman
11-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Salaam

just to clarify, muslims are allowed to help non muslims in a worldly sense but not make prayer for them

Salaam; as long as non -Muslims are alive , Muslims are allowed to pray for them . If one dies without repentance for associating partner with God , then it's forbidden to pray for his/her salvation.

And God Almighty knows Best.

tango92
11-19-2010, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam

Salaam; as long as non -Muslims are alive , Muslims are allowed to pray for them . If one dies without repentance for associating partner with God , then it's forbidden to pray for his/her salvation.

And God Almighty knows Best.
thanks for the correction

tango

before i respond properly, i would like to ask if youve just reverted to islam or if youve been practising for a long time?

1. you cant judge my intentions (thats up to Allah swt)
2. i dont seem to understand why it is i dont trust in God swt ? all im saying is, islam is the truth and christianity is not. why should i help inadvertedly promote christianity?
3. muslims should seek to better the world on their own without being forced to work with non muslims so that the best possible image of islam is presented. of course this changes with the context of the "good" you are aiming for.

if you can prove to me logically that "getting down with the chrisitians on da streets yo" isnt helping promote their beliefs please do so.

lastly to all readers of this thread, as muslims we are not seeking to promote the Love of God swt in every and whatever way. we seek to promote the religion that Allah swt gave to us, that includes belief in Allah and love for him swt.

if your intentions are just "i wanna help these guys", then they should be "i wanna help these guys for the sake of Allah swt".

Muslim Woman
11-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Salaam

thanks for the correction

You are welcome , bro.

To Eric: by , interfaith cooperation , do u mean to work together to get rid of evils of the society or have regular dialogues between different faith groups or both ?

During the time of Prophet Muhammed pbuh , Jews and Christians often visited him and discussed about religions . I guess , it's ok to say they had interfaith dialogues.

The most evil matter in the society is disobeying God. So , personally I believe , the more we talk about similarities about different faiths and how we can obey God Almighty , people will get to know about each other more and it will bring positive changes in society ( hopefully).

O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).

49:13

siam
11-20-2010, 10:51 AM
tango

When I wrote the post, I was thinking about the incident of the treaty of Hudaibiya that the Prophet(pbuh) made with the Meccans. Though the people with him were not happy with the terms, the Prophet(pbuh) trusted in God. We cannot know the intentions of others because we cannot see their hearts. However, if we decline to do good simply because of someones "label" then it seems to me, we have let pride/arrogance interfere with doing God's will? As to what is the Truth?---that's a no-brainer---As the Quran says, "Truth stands out clear from falsehood." Promoting goodness is promoting Truth. Why not trust in God and let him use you as he sees fit instead of putting up conditions to do God's will?

Eric H
11-20-2010, 12:26 PM

. muslims should seek to better the world on their own without being forced to work with non muslims so that the best possible image of islam is presented. of course this changes with the context of the "good" you are aiming for.
Almost imossible to do but… if we strive to put God first, others second, and our own needs third

if you can prove to me logically that "getting down with the chrisitians on da streets yo" isnt helping promote their beliefs please do so.
I am a Catholic, and I should be far more dogmatic than you, I belong to the one true church, the authority of the pope comes from Jesus, God.

A few hundred years ago where I live Christians were killing each other, because the other lot had the wrong truth. Since then we have grown to tolerate each other, now I find it a great blessing that I can pray with Chistians of other denominations, I can pray for them and work with them openly.

I have the great privalege in being able to go to other Christian churches, and they bring people to God in ways the Catholic Church does not seem able to do. I have been on this forum for five years now, and I recognise the great faith Muslims have, it seems that Islam brings people to God in ways that the Christian faith is not able to.

I do not understand God and his plans for me, let alone his plans for people of all other faiths and no faiths. As Siam has said, if it is God’s will that you should be a Muslim, why should I go against God, I will surely fail.

In the spirit of praying for a greater interfaith understanding

Eric

Eric H
11-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Muslim Woman;

To Eric: by , interfaith cooperation , do u mean to work together to get rid of evils of the society or have regular dialogues between different faith groups or both ?
I am not sure what I mean !!! :hmm:

I do not have the authority of the Catholic Church, or Street Pastors, to say the things I have said, I am speaking purely as an individual.

I could be totally wrong to have such thoughts, but I am trying to understand the greatest commandments. Jesus said, All the law and the prophets of God hang on these two commandments; and he gave us the parable of the Good Samaitan.

Luke 10:30-37 Jesus answered, "A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who both stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. By chance a certain priest was going down that way. When he saw him, he passed by on the other side. In the same way a Levite also, when he came to the place, and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he traveled, came where he was. When he saw him, he was moved with compassion, came to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. He set him on his own animal, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, and gave them to the host, and said to him, ‘Take care of him. Whatever you spend beyond that, I will repay you when I return.’ Now which of these three do you think seemed to be a neighbor to him who fell among the robbers?" He said, "He who showed mercy on him." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

Now you have to feel sorry for the priest and Levite, if they stopped to help the wounded man, they would become ceremonially unclean, and they would not be able to perform their religious duties for a period of time.

It could be said that the priest and Levite were putting God and their religion first, by keeping ceremonially clean, these laws came from Jesus, from God.

But Jesus seems to reverses our religious priorities, and we should care for the person in need. If Jesus was to give us this parable today, I could see him saying the priest and the deacon passed by, but the good Muslim stopped to help the wounded man. The parable of the greatest commandments seem to challenge us in ways we would not like to be challenged.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people

Eric

Muslim Woman
11-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Salaam/Peace

if they stopped to help the wounded man, they would become ceremonially unclean, and they would not be able to perform their religious duties for a period of time.
why ? Is that law still applicable ?

tango92
11-20-2010, 03:27 PM
As the Quran says, "Truth stands out clear from falsehood." Promoting goodness is promoting Truth. Why not trust in God and let him use you as he sees fit instead of putting up conditions to do God's will?
hmm i see some strange christians ideas coming out of you. if you can give me an incident of the prophet pbuh performing a similar good action hand in hand with the people of the book then i will reconsider my position. as a msulims i define Gods will to be what is in the quran and shahih hadith. if we say "well good actions are good right?" we fall pray to shaytaans trap of defining our own criteria for right and wrong.

in other words. what appears good on the outside may not be when we analyse closer. and i beleive the mindset of a muslim should always be to look deeper than appearances and judge accordingly whilst keeping our priorities in order. this is a middle path, which is what Islam is all about.

Eric H
11-21-2010, 05:39 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Muslim Woman;

]Salaam/Peace

why ? Is that law still applicable
The laws regarding being ceremonially unclean were given to the Israelites, they do not apply to Christians. I am not sure how they relate to Judaism today, there are a number of passages about being unclean, here is just one..

Leviticus 22.
1 The LORD said to Moses, 2 “Tell Aaron and his sons to treat with respect the sacred offerings the Israelites consecrate to me, so they will not profane my holy name. I am the LORD.
3 “Say to them: ‘For the generations to come, if any of your descendants is ceremonially unclean and yet comes near the sacred offerings that the Israelites consecrate to the LORD, that person must be cut off from my presence. I am the LORD.
4 “‘If a descendant of Aaron has a defiling skin disease[a] or a bodily discharge, he may not eat the sacred offerings until he is cleansed. He will also be unclean if he touches something defiled by a corpse or by anyone who has an emission of semen, 5 or if he touches any crawling thing that makes him unclean, or any person who makes him unclean, whatever the uncleanness may be. 6 The one who touches any such thing will be unclean till evening. He must not eat any of the sacred offerings unless he has bathed himself with water. 7 When the sun goes down, he will be clean, and after that he may eat the sacred offerings, for they are his food. 8 He must not eat anything found dead or torn by wild animals, and so become unclean through it. I am the LORD.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people

Eric

Eric H
11-21-2010, 05:54 AM

I am sorry that I can’t give you any Islamic answers, and I can only talk as an individual with no authority, possibly I am committing spiritual suicide, because I know my thoughts do not sit comfortably with many Catholics.

I can remember when I first started as a Street Pastor, friends said I should not do it, others said I should wear body armour, carry a knife, do karate, they said it must take a lot of courage.

But we do not go out in our own strength and courage, we strive to go out in God’s strength, we trust in prayer, and we trust God hears our prayers. I am a Catholic, and there can be people from eight different denominations praying for us, I have to trust that God hears all these prayers, and when two or three are gathered in the name of Jesus, then he is with us, this is our belief.

There have been a number of instances, but one often comes to mind. There was a car full of youths parked in the middle of the road, about a dozen of their mates were fooling around in the road by the car, many had cans of beer. My lady partner talked to the driver, and asked if he could park the car by the kerb, he started the car and moved it safely. She said to the drunken lads, could you come of the road, a couple of aggressive characters towered over us, inches from our faces. She looked up to them and said, I am not afraid, all of a sudden everything changed, they dropped their aggressive nature, we got invited to their party, and we saw a good side to these lads. They talked about their work, girlfriends, college, they seemed different people.

I can only say that I should have been feeling anxious, and fearful in situations like this, but I have experienced an inner peace that transcends all my understanding. Often in these situations I am with just one lady partner, these ladies are remarkable, some are in their sixties and seventies. If we had not taken that risk of approaching a confrontational situation, we would never have known there was a good side to these lads.

It feels like pushing the boundaries by praying with other Christians, and trusting in God. It would push the boundaries further if we could somehow do this in an interfaith way. Yet the same God hears all our prayers, I am sure God can cope with our differences, because he created us that way, but can we cope with our differences?

In the spirit of praying to the One God who hears all our prayers

Eric

Zafran
11-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Salaam

I posted this before about Muslim scholars reaching out to christians after the pope incident - known as the common word

http://www.acommonword.com/

check it out

peace

أبو سليمان عمر
11-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Interfaith will never work for many reason the main one is islam calls to tawheed which is the most important thing in islam to where the other faith call to shirk hence there is no way possable also how can i accpet someone who rejects his Creator that will me silly of me

tango92
11-21-2010, 07:53 AM

I am sorry that I can’t give you any Islamic answers, and I can only talk as an individual with no authority, possibly I am committing spiritual suicide, because I know my thoughts do not sit comfortably with many Catholics.

I can remember when I first started as a Street Pastor, friends said I should not do it, others said I should wear body armour, carry a knife, do karate, they said it must take a lot of courage.

But we do not go out in our own strength and courage, we strive to go out in God’s strength, we trust in prayer, and we trust God hears our prayers. I am a Catholic, and there can be people from eight different denominations praying for us, I have to trust that God hears all these prayers, and when two or three are gathered in the name of Jesus, then he is with us, this is our belief.

There have been a number of instances, but one often comes to mind. There was a car full of youths parked in the middle of the road, about a dozen of their mates were fooling around in the road by the car, many had cans of beer. My lady partner talked to the driver, and asked if he could park the car by the kerb, he started the car and moved it safely. She said to the drunken lads, could you come of the road, a couple of aggressive characters towered over us, inches from our faces. She looked up to them and said, I am not afraid, all of a sudden everything changed, they dropped their aggressive nature, we got invited to their party, and we saw a good side to these lads. They talked about their work, girlfriends, college, they seemed different people.

I can only say that I should have been feeling anxious, and fearful in situations like this, but I have experienced an inner peace that transcends all my understanding. Often in these situations I am with just one lady partner, these ladies are remarkable, some are in their sixties and seventies. If we had not taken that risk of approaching a confrontational situation, we would never have known there was a good side to these lads.

It feels like pushing the boundaries by praying with other Christians, and trusting in God. It would push the boundaries further if we could somehow do this in an interfaith way. Yet the same God hears all our prayers, I am sure God can cope with our differences, because he created us that way, but can we cope with our differences?

In the spirit of praying to the One God who hears all our prayers

Eric
having repeated myself many times, I no longer wish to do merely under a slightly different context

i will reply to the bold however: how do we define islam

roughly. islam = peace

have you ever heard reverts talking about "inner peace" after coming into islam? well whilst one or 2 christians may have convinced themselves they experience this, all true beleivers of islam experience this by very definition that they have become muslim. we are not strangers to trusting in God in difficult times. indeed amongst the righteouss believers is one who fears nobody except God.

أبو سليمان عمر
11-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Islam means submission/Surrender so it means to submi/surrender yourself to Allah the one who created you as we can see everything is in the state of islam (submission) except our minds and actions but if we look at the sun it is in the state of islam it goes and comes as it is supose to nothing can change that it is in complte submission and many more exmple

siam
11-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Tango

"hmm i see some strange christians ideas coming out of you"---You are probably right---in that, serving God (with humility) is an example that all the Prophets in the Quran have showed us---and therefore would be part of any of God's Guidance. Nevertheless, I found the statement amusing since I felt it was YOUR idea that resembled mainstream Western Christianity. The "chosen people" idea that "God is on our side" originated in Judaism but was embraced by Western Christianity and expressed itself as white man's burden/manifest destiny and such. Even before that, as Eric said, Western Christianity has had a history of creating an adversary (Heretics, Jews...etc) in order to prop up its dogma (we are right/superior---they are wrong/inferior). Today, in the Catholic Church, there is debate whether Islam is more of a threat than secularism---with the Church declaring that they must "fight" secularism (and feel that encouraging Muslims to join this "fight" would be a good idea). Such ideas are wrong because they create divisions instead of Unity, they promote pride and arrogance instead of humility---and particularly because they lead to the delusion that the "quantity" of believers is more important than the quality of the practiced deen.
If one's faith/Iman needs to be propped up by creating an adversary---then that faith has no substance.
Nevertheless, I feel it would be foolish to ignore the wisdom and goodness in Judaism, Christianity and any other religion/philosophy simply because it is not labelled "Islam." In our history, we have embraced learning and co-existence. Likewise, it is foolish to refuse to do good simply because a particualr organization is not labelled "Muslim". God does not care about man-made "labels". As the Quran says, Prophet Abraham(pbuh) was a Muslim because he was "one who submits" (to God)---implying a state of being---not some exclusive label.

I am concerned about the quality of our religion because some Muslims use the 5 pillars as a license to do bad. ---The idea that if you pray a lot...give tons in charity..etc you are "off the hook" because your bad deeds will be forgiven--so you do bad---just pray a lot........and everything will be ok.......We must do better than this......

The purpose to do good should come from a feeling of gratitude for God's blessings. This attitude of gratitude should promote the sharing of God's blessings with others.......

It has been an interesting discussion Tango....thankyou

أبو سليمان عمر
11-21-2010, 08:44 AM
saim asalamu alaykum

yes this is true but remeber that a msulim who sins is better then a non muslim who does alot of good

siam
11-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Umar

"a muslim who sins is better then a non muslim who does alot of good"

As you defined in a previous post---"Muslim" is one who submits (to God's will). How do we know if a person is doing that or not if we do not know what is in their hearts?---Only God knows this and therefore he is the ultimate Judge of who is or is not a Muslim. It is best if we judge ourselves. If we go around arbitrarily declaring that "we are better than they"---we fall into what Al-Gazzali calls "Iblisi Logic". Iblis arbitrarily declares he is better than man because he is made from fire and man is only made from clay. His arrogance and pride leads him to disobey God's will.

In Protestant Christianity, salvation is guarenteed---One simply has to declare ones belief in dogma. In Islam, right belief, right intentions, and right actions work together as a package for a wholistic human experience that helps us be Muslim---"submitters" to God's will.

One can have humility and be non-judgemental and at the same time have confidence, commitment and faith in one's religion.

Arrogance/Pride have no place in a heart filled with compassion and mercy. And when we overcome our differences to do good and help others (all of God's creation---regardless of labels) we can only grow in compassion and mercy----and that is a way to Unity.

أبو سليمان عمر
11-22-2010, 01:17 AM
naam but as umar ibn alkhatab said if we judge by whats appernt and Allah will judge whats in a person heart

also that doesnt change my point THAT A MUSLIM (means someone who submitted) who sins is better then a non muslim ( one who has not submitted) who does alot of good

glo
11-22-2010, 06:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umar^111
also that doesnt change my point THAT A MUSLIM (means someone who submitted) who sins is better then a non muslim ( one who has not submitted) who does alot of good
But shouldn't that fact that one has submitted to God show in our deeds and attitudes towards each other?

I think that principle should apply to both our faiths.
If one truly submits to God and obeys God then one should become a more loving, more caring and less judgmental person.

By their fruit you will recognize them.
What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
I agree that only God knows our hearts and our intentions, and that he alone can judge.
But I also suggest that we can recognise a true follower of God by their qualities - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control etc.

Would you agree?

siam
11-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Umar

" if we judge by whats appernt and Allah will judge whats in a person hearts "
In the interests of justice,there are occassions when human beings need to judge others---but there are rules for this--law/jurisprudence. One should refrain as much as possible from arbitrary judgements of condemnation without cause.

"also that doesnt change my point THAT A MUSLIM (means someone who submitted) who sins is better then a non muslim ( one who has not submitted) who does alot of good"
How we understand this statement depends on our definition of "non-muslim" (one who has not submitted).
If by "non-muslim" one means Kaffir/Mushrikeen or Munafiqeen then yes, the statement could be true---not for judging others---but as one of the parameters that establish the greater principles of (Divine) Justice. ---these words (as with the word Muslim) are based on the notion that this is a state of being and not a label---it is based on the mind/attitude/intentions of the person.
This distinction is very important for us to understand considering the state of affairs in our ummah. There are countries who label themselves Muslim/Islamic and yet torture, corruption, moral decay, unethical/unjust practices, prejudice/racism and other vices are rampant. This is hypocrisy. We have to be better than this----and sometimes improvements are easier in partnerships than going it alone....?

IslamicRevival
11-23-2010, 04:13 AM
you appear to be under the delusion i want to be united with the christians. Islam seeks to eradicate all false beliefs. i will try my best not to portray christianity in a positve light, i do not want to help sell the pack of lies of chrisitanity. thats how i feel wether you like it or not
Show some respect brother. There is nothing wrong with UNITY and interfaith co operation, that is unless you are a fan of the likes of Amjad Chadury

In my view, Despite our differences we, as Muslims SHOULD co operate with other faiths for the good of humanity. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever and it should be encouraged

Muslim Woman
11-23-2010, 05:02 AM
Salaam/ Peace

to have interfaith dialouges & cooperations , we need a lot of patience . I guess , sadly many of us don't have that virtue :(

Grace Seeker
11-23-2010, 05:37 AM
And so (among other things) I took action this year in response to 2 different natural disasters -- the earthquake in Haiti and the floods in Pakistan. While I did not visit either of these sights, I sent money through my Christian denomination's disaster response team. It was delivered without regard to whether the people receiving the aid shared my faith or not. It was given because these were humans in need, and it is my understanding as a follower of Jesus that he has called on me to respond to people in need without regard to their faith. Now you are right, I do think that my faith is more correct in our understanding of who God is and provides better guidance than any other faith, but I don't think that this means I can't work with others. So it is that as we were well established in Haiti, my denomination did a great deal of the initial work of providing for aid. But in Pakistan where we have only had a small presence, we provided a conduit by which materials were delivered to Muslim Aid who then made distributions on the ground.

Not every act has to be a theological debate in which we are set in opposition to one another. As talking is boring, I suggest that we find places were the praxis of our faith might be joined in common cause as in these major natural disasters, and just possibly in smaller acts of cooperation as well, where we jointly express that the nature of the God we serve teaches us to practice compassion toward one another.

Grace Seeker
11-23-2010, 05:42 AM
In Protestant Christianity, salvation is guarenteed---One simply has to declare ones belief in dogma.
I don't want to turn this into a major issue, but just a small correction needs to be addressed with regard to the above statement.

While there are indeed some who would agree with what siam has expressed, that is by no means universally held by all protestants and I suspect might even be the minority view. Rather what was said about "right belief, right intentions, and right actions work[ing] together as a package for a wholistic human experience" would fit very well with the teachings of John Wesley as foundational to my own United Methodist beliefs and would also be integral to many other protestant denominations.

B_M
11-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Jesus said himself just because one says 'Lord Lord I believe' does not mean he will get to Heaven.

Like others said, Interfaith Cooperation is possible if we focus on the similarities. And we all know what separates Judaism, Christianity and Islam.. so Jesus aside.. if we zone in the one fact we are worshiping the same God.. and point out the same beliefs all religions have.. even just certain passages from The Torah, Bible, Qu'ran.. I beleive a positive discussion could be discussed.

B_M
11-23-2010, 06:12 AM
Of course there must be a willingness...

tango92
11-23-2010, 07:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
And so (among other things) I took action this year in response to 2 different natural disasters -- the earthquake in Haiti and the floods in Pakistan. While I did not visit either of these sights, I sent money through my Christian denomination's disaster response team. It was delivered without regard to whether the people receiving the aid shared my faith or not. It was given because these were humans in need, and it is my understanding as a follower of Jesus that he has called on me to respond to people in need without regard to their faith. Now you are right, I do think that my faith is more correct in our understanding of who God is and provides better guidance than any other faith, but I don't think that this means I can't work with others. So it is that as we were well established in Haiti, my denomination did a great deal of the initial work of providing for aid. But in Pakistan where we have only had a small presence, we provided a conduit by which materials were delivered to Muslim Aid who then made distributions on the ground.

Not every act has to be a theological debate in which we are set in opposition to one another. As talking is boring, I suggest that we find places were the praxis of our faith might be joined in common cause as in these major natural disasters, and just possibly in smaller acts of cooperation as well, where we jointly express that the nature of the God we serve teaches us to practice compassion toward one another.
is it fair to say the most religious of christians will only see worship once a week, that is, sunday?

Grace Seeker
11-23-2010, 07:38 AM
is it fair to say the most religious of christians will only see worship once a week, that is, sunday?
Not sure if you are asking about the most religious of Christians, in which case it is not true, or about most Christians (including those who aren't very religious), in which case it is more than true.

Sadly, it would be fair to say that at least in the part of the world where I live, perhaps most who claim to be Christians don't even see worship then. Of course, rightly understood, genuine worship must be a way of life, not a service. But the pattern of attending corporate worship once a week (usually on Sunday, but it isn't restricted to then alone) is fairly normative. Private prayer and personal devotional study would also be at least a daily routine among those who take their faith seriously. My own congregation offers corporate worship 3 times a week and on average 6 small group studies in addition to Sunday school each week. I have no idea how many might be involved in additional study and worship times they have organized on their own.

Not sure what any of that has to do with interfaith cooperation?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!