PDA

View Full Version : ordered three books

serena77
11-18-2010, 10:42 PM
i'm just wondering if anyone else has read them -
the bookseller of kabul
Love in a headscarf and
the butterfly mosque

any opinions on them? to me they looked really good...
Thanks
Serena
mods if this needs to be moved to another section my apologies

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
11-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Haven't heard of any of them. Are they novels? Based on true stories? I've been looking for those type of books. Let me know how it goes.

They sound a bit feminine, but I would be interested in the Bookseller of Kabul.

serena77
11-18-2010, 11:27 PM
the bookseller of kabul is written by a norweigan journalist who spent time w/ the bookseller and then wrote a book on it....

i looked the other two up again.... the butterfly mosque is the story of an american i think in egypt and
love in a headscarf is about a british muslim

Beardo
11-19-2010, 12:32 AM
I never knew these type of books existed. Where'd you buy'em from?

One Muslim publisher sent me a pack of books and asked me to review them. I really liked "The War Within Our Hearts." It REALLY inspired me, masha-Allah. Foreword by Imam Zaid Shakir.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
serena77
11-19-2010, 01:26 AM
salaam brother

yea there are many such books.. amazon is a wonderful thing.... i went from the bookseller of kabul... and it shows down below what others buy and often they are in the same catagory .. theres one i called something about the woman that fell out of the sky .. has a pomegranete on the cover.... its about a woman in yemen....

its awesome that a publisher would do that....
serena

glo
11-19-2010, 06:34 AM
I read The Bookseller of Kabul and found it quite interesting. However, it does present quite a critical view of life in Afghanistan.
Shah Muhammad Rais (the real book keeper) has contested the way the book describes himself and his family.

Here is an article from October 2004 The Times

On 24th July 2010 Seierstad was found guilty of defamation and “negligent journalistic practices and ordered to pay damages to Suraia Rais, wife of Shah Muhammad Rais. An appeal is underway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bookseller_of_Kabul

serena77
11-20-2010, 05:59 PM
with what you said Glo.. I'm reading the book w/ a grain of sand.... lots of possible things that happened ... and some fiction added in... that said... i hate to say this... and .. my comment has nothing to do w/ anyone's religious background... it is possible that he contested for reasons other tan the book. So far.... I really am enjoying the store... i haven't realy gotten into it.. infact to date there's very little i can see thats contestible.. but i only got like 20 pages in... it reminds of me of jonathan frey's book... you know.. the one on oprah.. okay maybe you don't... he wrote a book... called it a memoir... but then it came out and discovered a lot was fiction... maybe the same is true... i can't wait to get to finish it though.

And stupid me i ordered the butterfly mosque in hardback... i just got a few pages of that started last night i hope that its as good as it started out being...

Raaina
11-20-2010, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
the bookseller of kabul is written by a norweigan journalist who spent time w/ the bookseller and then wrote a book on it....
asalaam alaykum sister,

As a MASSIVE book worm/book collector (i'm not sad, honest!) I actually found this book at the bottom of my bed the other day, unread of course lol I will get around to reading it, but I must of found it interesting to buy it from the back page.

I'm also reading a book called "The land of the invisible women" which is about a muslim woman who went to study in America and couldn't get her visa extended and went to Saudi Arabia to work as a nurse for a year. Only read the first few chapters but, it is a very interesting read.

serena77
11-20-2010, 07:49 PM
salaam sister
i have started two of the three books and i'll try and find your suggestion on amazon... thanks :)
Serena

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!