/* */

PDA

View Full Version : amusing but useless random facts, share yours here:

جوري
11-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Spiral staircases in medieval castles are running clockwise. This is because all knights used to be right-handed. When the intruding army would climb the stairs they would not be able to use their right hand which was holding the sword because of the difficulties of climbing the stairs. Left-handed knights would have had no troubles, except left-handed people could never become knights because it was assumed that they were descendants of the devil.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
11-19-2010, 08:27 PM
The best feeling for an unmarried/single man is peeing after holding it in for a long time.

GuestFellow
11-19-2010, 08:48 PM
:sl:

You can change Tom Marvolo Riddle into I am Lord Voldermort....Lord Moudly Butt.

The best feeling for an unmarried/single man is peeing after holding it in for a long time.
.____.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
11-19-2010, 09:26 PM
This is soo geeky! :-\

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S.Belle
11-19-2010, 09:53 PM
its impossible for men (and most women) to lay their palms on their shoulders (take right hand and try to lay your palm on your rigth shoulder).

glo
11-19-2010, 10:19 PM
A snail can sleep for three years.

S.Belle
11-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Bruce Lee was so fast that they actually had to slow the film down to see his moves

Perseveranze
11-20-2010, 12:31 AM
The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.

Hayaa
11-20-2010, 01:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
:lol: I found that very amusing. Ah, the English language fails to disappoint.

Woodrow
11-20-2010, 01:26 AM
1961 was the most recent year that reads the same right side up or upside down. It will not happen again until the year 6009

S.Belle
11-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Muhammad is the most common name in the world

Hayaa
11-20-2010, 05:08 AM
I was shocked to discover this one^ : Ants never sleep

glo
11-20-2010, 08:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
A snail can sleep for three years.
format_quote Originally Posted by Hayaa
Ants never sleep
I guess that means that ants and snails don't get on well together ... :D

Eric H
11-20-2010, 01:05 PM
I hope none of you good people are breaking any of the following laws, which apparently are still in force....

25. It is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses.

24. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

23. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.

22. In France, it is forbidden to call a pig Napoleon.

21. Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.

20. In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.

19. In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.

18. Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.

17. In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

16. In Lancashire, no person is permitted after being asked to stop by a constable on the seashore to incite a dog to bark.

15. In Miami, Florida, it is illegal to skateboard in a police station.

14. In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.

13. In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.

12. In London, Freemen are allowed to take a flock of sheep across London Bridge without being charged a toll; they are also allowed to drive geese down Cheapside.

11. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.

10. In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.

9. In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed.

8. In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six-feet long.

7. In Chester, Welshmen are banned from entering the city before sunrise and from staying after sunset.

6. In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

5. In Boulder, Colorado, it is illegal to kill a bird within the city limits and also to “own” a pet – the town’s citizens, legally speaking, are merely “pet minders”.

4. In Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

3. In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.

2. In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman’s genitals but is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination; he may only see their reflection in a mirror.

1. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

With thanks to: Donald Stewart at Faegre & Benson; John Barnett at Burges Salmon; Robert Crossley at Walker Morris; James Odds at Matthew Arnold & Baldwin; and Dan Kieran, author of I Fought The Law (Bantam Press).

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-20-2010, 01:18 PM
In Hyderabad, if you fail in an interview for an AIX System administration and then after interchange your first name and surname and again apply for the job you will get a call for interview. ;D Amusing? Please tell it is.

Beardo
11-20-2010, 02:31 PM
I feel the last fact I mentioned might have been a bit vulgar and offensive, so here's a cover up:

James Barrie, the author of Peter Pan, and his wife never had kids, but he did have a special affection for the children of others. In 1929, he signed over the rights for Peter Pan to a London hospital that specialized in pediatric medicine.

جوري
11-20-2010, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
23. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.

:haha: remind me to do that next time I am in jolly old England and want to send a letter to my parents ...

جوري
11-20-2010, 05:04 PM
For half an hour all humans were 1 cell

Woodrow
11-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Corn (Maize) does not grow in the wild. it can only grow under cultivated conditions and planted by humans.

No wild maize (corn) is known to exist. The origin of the plant is unknown. some speculation has been it is a mutation of Teosinte. But, genetics and DNA typing do not support that theory.

جوري
11-20-2010, 05:34 PM
^^^ sob7an Allah.. how very interesting..

GuestFellow
11-20-2010, 05:37 PM
:sl:

The world is not flat.

aadil77
11-20-2010, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ;1385832]For half an hour all humans were 1 cell [/QUOTE

?

Woodrow
11-20-2010, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
^^^ sob7an Allah.. how very interesting..
There is a native American legend that tells the story of the first corn plant. This legend is shared among the Abenaki, Inca, Maya and Aztecs. It is difficult to understand exactly what is meant as the legends are very allegorical and full of metaphors. But the story when translated word for word without attempts at interpretation is quite amazing.

An Abenaki Legend

A long time ago, when the Indians were first made, one man lived alone, far from any others. He did not know fire, and so he lived on roots, bark, and nuts. This man became very lonely for companionship.

He grew tired of digging roots, lost his appetite, and for several days lay dreaming in the sunshine. When he awoke, he saw someone standing near and, at first, was very frightened.

But when he heard the stranger's voice, his heart was glad, and he looked up. He saw a beautiful woman with long light hair! "Come to me," he whispered. But she did not, and when he tried to approach her, she moved farther away. He sang to her about his loneliness, and begged her not to leave him.

At last she replied, "If you will do exactly what I tell you to do, I will also be with you."

He promised that he would try his very best. So she led him to a place where there was some very dry grass. "Now get two dry sticks," she told him, "and rub them together fast while you hold them in the grass."

Soon a spark flew out. The grass caught fire, and as swiftly as an arrow takes flight, the ground was burned over. Then the beautiful woman spoke again: "When the sun sets, take me by the hair and drag me over the burned ground."

"Oh, I don't want to do that!" the man exclaimed.

"You must do what I tell you to do," said she. "Wherever you drag me, something like grass will spring up, and you will see something like hair coming from between the leaves. Soon seeds will be ready for your use."

The man followed the beautiful woman's orders. And when the Indians see silk on the cornstalk, they know that the beautiful woman has not forgotten them.
Source for this story and 1400 other native American Legends"

IAmZamzam
11-20-2010, 11:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
Bruce Lee was so fast that they actually had to slow the film down to see his moves
That’s actually not at all unheard of when it comes to martial artists on film. The human body can move faster than your average feasible frame rate, if one learns to utilize it properly.

format_quote Originally Posted by vale’slily
Left-handed knights would have had no troubles, except left-handed people could never become knights because it was assumed that they were descendants of the devil.
The word “sinister” is supposedly derived from the Latin term for “left-handed”.

Ah, the English language fails to disappoint.
Indeed. Here are some more tidbits on it:

“Crwth” (pronounced “krooth”, rhymes with “booth”; it means “crowd”, and perhaps is a variant of the word given the phonetic similarity) is the only English word (I’m pretty sure) without an A, E, I, O, U, or Y. It appears to be a unique holdover from Middle English spellings, like “oxen”, the sole remaining English word which uses an N instead of an S to form a plural.

A common piece of inaccurate trivia is that, “I am,” is the shortest possible complete sentence in English, but if anything, “I do,” is shorter. It’s the same number of words, syllables, and letters, but in any form of handwriting I’ve seen it’s always possible to write out, “I do,” with fewer penstrokes.

“Strengths” has the highest ratio of consonants to vowels of any English word.

“Supersede” is the only English word ending with “sede”, which is odd if not inexplicable given that it has the same Latin root as other words with the more normal “ceed” suffix like “succeed” (-cedere).

Maybe more later.

جوري
11-20-2010, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77

?

Woodrow
11-20-2010, 11:44 PM
The Mitsubishi Eclipse, also sold as the Eagle Talon and Plymouth Laser, was named after an English racehorse from the 1700s that won 26 races.

S.Belle
11-21-2010, 02:32 AM
The average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night. +o(

Hayaa
11-21-2010, 03:03 AM
^ Blah. The average chocolate bar has 8 insect legs in it. I can't bring myself to believe this fact :X

Woodrow
11-21-2010, 03:19 AM
Vanilla flowers may only be naturally pollinated by a specific bee found in Mexico. Vanilla grown elsewhere must have each flower individually pollinated by human workers.

IAmZamzam
11-21-2010, 03:25 AM
There are any number of urban legends of factories being somehow allowed by the FDA to include all sorts of nasty ingredients in factory-manufactured food, for the absurd reason that a certain amount of rat droppings or bug parts getting into your sustenance is somehow "unavoidable". I am tempted to make a jape here about how I wouldn't be too surprised given the modern lack of western work ethic but I'm afraid I must call B.S. Unfortunately Snopes has not (at least that I can find by searching the site) fully addressed the entire issue yet but they have at least done it in part.

Yanal
11-21-2010, 04:48 AM
Paintball is one of the safest of extreme sports. Only 20/1000 players sustain any type of injury, which include either slight bruising from close hits or sprains from stumbling during games.

Misz_Muslimah
11-21-2010, 02:01 PM
- TYPEWRITER, is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

- "Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand.

- The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-21-2010, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Misz_Muslimah
- The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.
and is used in font previews. :)

جوري
11-22-2010, 03:14 PM
If you keep a goldfish in the dark, it will eventually turn white

Beardo
11-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Rocks can melt.

جوري
11-22-2010, 03:45 PM
diamonds go back to graphite -- a 'diamond ain't forever' as they allege in the commercials....

Beardo
11-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Wife is life. FACT.

جوري
11-22-2010, 03:51 PM
she could also be death 'FACT' lol

Yanal
11-22-2010, 03:55 PM
A monkey's skull wrapped in leather and paper was used as a soccer ball in the very first World's Cup Soccer Championships in Uruguay.

Beardo
If friends exist, I'm yet to find one.

Beardo
One out of 20 people have an extra rib

Yanal
11-22-2010, 03:59 PM
A polar bear's skin is black. Its fur is not white, but actually clear.

Beardo
11-22-2010, 04:01 PM
2.5 cans of Spam are consumed every second in the United States

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-22-2010, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
If friends exist, I'm yet to find one.

Dagless
11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
One out of 20 people have an extra rib
Or 19 out of 20 people have a rib missing.

IAmZamzam
11-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Amusing but useless fact: most of the so-called amusing but useless facts you hear on the internet are patently false, especially if they're in a long list, most especially one given in chain mail. I mean, has anyone who buys the "a duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why" line ever been around a duck?? Or learned the rudiments of sound physics? (A further elaboration)

جوري
11-22-2010, 06:18 PM
please stick your amusing useless random fact in http://www.spoof.com/home.aqp before sharing it to bring the thread up to par for all members..

:w:

Dagless
11-22-2010, 06:50 PM
please stick your amusing useless random fact in http://www.spoof.com/home.aqp before sharing it to bring the thread up to par for all members..

:w:
I'll post a fact soon... just let me win back my money first... one more game... just one more game :|

Insecured soul
11-22-2010, 07:40 PM
I was shocked to discover this one^ : Ants never sle
what? is that really a fact?

Woodrow
11-22-2010, 10:05 PM
2.5 cans of Spam are consumed every second in the United States
That is nothing, more than that gets posted on this thread every second.

S.Belle
11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
“Facetious” and “abstemious” are the only two words in the English language that contain the vowels a, e, i, o, and u in their proper order.

Hayaa
11-23-2010, 01:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insecured soul
what? is that really a fact?
They rest but don't actually sleep as a human would define it.. they don't have eyelids. Research suggests that a certain species does 'sleep' ... who knows :D

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee

A fact? I don't know. Seems impractical to test. Amusing nonetheless

Hayaa
11-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Butterflies taste with their feet :ermm:

~Raindrop~
11-23-2010, 04:03 AM
Birmingham has more miles of canal than Venice. Fact.

Woodrow
11-23-2010, 10:43 AM
North Dakota is the only state without voter registration. Voters are not required to register.

Salihah
11-23-2010, 01:21 PM
111.111 * 111.111 = 12345654321

:phew

Salihah
11-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Single egg twins dont have identical fingerprint...

manaal
11-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Anas bin Malik and Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Messenger of Allah would say:

اللهم إني أعوذ بك من علم لا ينفع ومن قلب لا يخشع ومن دعاء لا يسمع ومن نفس لا تشبع

ِAllahumma inni a'udhu bika min 'ilmin la yanfa' wa min qalbin ya yakhsha' wa min du'a'in la yusma' wa min nafsin la tashba'

"O Allah! I seek refuge with You from knowledge that does not benefit, and from a heart that is not subdued and humble, and from a supplication that is not heard, and from a self that is not satisfied."

And he would then say: "O Allah! I seek refuge with You from these four things."

[Reported by an-Nasa'i (5470, 5536 & 5537) and Abu Dawud (1548), and it is sahih]

جوري
11-23-2010, 03:25 PM
If you stop getting thirsty, you need to drink more water. For when a human body is dehydrated, its thirst mechanism shuts off.

tango92
11-23-2010, 03:36 PM
If you stop getting thirsty, you need to drink more water. For when a human body is dehydrated, its thirst mechanism shuts off.
there supposed to be amuzing but USELESS

IslamicRevival
11-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Approximate 80,000 components come together to make an F1 car. The cars have to be assembled with cent per cent accuracy. If it were assembled 99.9% correctly, it would go on the track with 80 components wrongly placed

About one kilometre of an electric cable is used to connect about 100 sensors and actuators in these racing cars. All these linked sensors and actuators are used to control and monitor the performance of the Formula One car.

When an F1 driver puts brakes on his car he experiences huge retardation or deceleration. It could be compared to a regular car driving through a brick wall at the speed of 300kmph.

On an average the driver of the F1 reduces near about 4kgs of his body weight if he goes for just 1 race. This is because of the long time exposure of the high G forces as well as the temperatures.

Probably not in line with this thread but...Amazing useless facts huh?
A F1 car is about 550kg in weight which is near about ½ of the total weight of a Mini.

In a street course race like the Monaco grand prix, the downforce provides enough suction to lift manhole covers. Before the race all of the manhole covers on the streets have to be welded down to prevent this from happening.

Every tire looses its weight during the race. It looses around 0.5 kg because of the wear.

Probably not in line with this thread but amazing useless facts huh? :)

IAmZamzam
11-23-2010, 07:50 PM
The longest word in the English language is "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis es" (alternate spelling "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosises"), the plural of "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis ", which is a type of lung disease. There actually are longer words--the names of certain chemical compounds, one of which, consisting of over 250 roots, I was shown in high school science class, and it occupied an entire single-spaced page of computer paper--but they are not officially part of the King's English any more than any other made-up lingo by any group, whereas the names of lung diseases are the kind of things that can end up in dictionaries and "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis es" is in the Oxford. And probably at dictionary.com as well.

Writing that word out so many times, I felt like the people in that Monty Python sketch who repeatedly have to say the name Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty- spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

As far as I have ever been able to determine by searching a number of unabridged dictionaries, the first and last English words in alphabetical order, if you discount the word "a" itself, are "aardvark" (the only English word beginning with a double A) and "zymurgy", the latter of which means "the branch of applied chemistry dealing with fermentation, as in winemaking, brewing, the preparation of yeast, etc." (dictionary.com).

Muezzin
11-23-2010, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
The average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night. +o(
That's a false statistic intended to satirise the propagation of insane and untrue statistics on the Internet.

جوري
11-24-2010, 01:55 AM
55,000 injuries a yr in the u.s from the use of trampolines ...

IAmZamzam
11-24-2010, 02:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
That's a false statistic intended to satirise the propagation of insane and untrue statistics on the Internet.
I wonder if the nonsense about duck quacks not echoing wasn't the same.

IAmZamzam
11-25-2010, 03:11 AM
A totally nonexistent word, "dord", was published in an early version of Webster's. It was caused by a mistake involving cards. They used to put all the abbreviation definitions in the back of the dictionary, and a card containing an abbreviation's definition ended up getting misfiled with the cards containing word definitions. It read: "D or d: density", and since it was handwritten naturally they misread it as "Dord". Somehow no etymologist saw it, apparently. Nor did anyone else for years: it remained throughout three editions! You can read about it at snopes.com.

Lynx
11-25-2010, 06:09 AM
The actor playing Superman on an old Superman radio show became sick for a period of time. To explain why Superman was away the writers of the show created 'kryptonite' and blamed it for causing superman's downtime.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!