/* */

PDA

View Full Version : OK for Christian to perform Salah? (+ other questions)

Max-DC
11-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how approptiate you all think it would be for a Christian to perform the salah, or even just to pray in the salah format. I think its a really beautiful way to remember God and keep him in your heart throughout the day, and I also desire a way to physically express my love and graditude to God physically, using my body. I have some questions though; I know the prayers have to be in Arabic, and I want to be able to fully understand what I am praying, etc. But stıll, I respect Islam a lot and wish to learn more about it.

That is the short version lol, here is a bit of backstory:
---------------------
I am an American college student studying abroad in Turkey. I am here for the whole year. I was raised in a conservative church as a child but when I was 15-16 I left my parent's church and joined a more liberal one that was more accepting of other faiths and religions (Episcopalian). At this new church I felt very at home with the other members and priests, and I went to church every Sunday and became what you would call quite observant, even though my new church didn't have many set rules in stone. Still, it became like my second home.

Unfortunately when I went off to college in a different city I could not find another church that was exactly like my old one, where I felt at home. (Even inside the same denomination or sect, many Christian churches can be quite different from one another.) I admit that I stopped going to church and slept in on Sundays, even though whenever I went back home I would always go back every Sunday to my own church. I think what added to the problem is that my college friends, even though I wouldn't change a thing about them, are mostly athiest, agnostic, or non-religious. So I had nobody to talk about God or faith with for several years after high school.

Now it is my 4th year of college and I am in Turkey for study abroad. I have become really good friends with some Turkish students in my school. as God would have it all the friends I ended up making turned out to be quite observant and religious Muslims. You couldn't tell just by looking but they always perform the salah and totally abstain from alcohol. They're also very well read, have answered all my questions about Islam, and are some of the nicest, friendliest, warmest guys I have ever met. Of course we all have similar progressive beliefs and they are very accepting of other cultures and religions, like I am.

When I hang out wıth my friends, I feel truly blessed, like God's love is expressed on Earth through other people. At first I was scared to ask them questions about Islam but one of my friends said "It would make me really really happy" if I did. So I have beeb asking a lot, but I am still too afraid to ask them about whether I can pray salah though. I think they really respect the fact that I am a Christian, they have accepted me as a fellow believer of God, and that has actually made me more open to the idea of converting haha. Anyway this is a confusing time for me because my spirituality has been awakened here, but it's been through İslam (the beautiful mosques here) and my Muslim friends. I respect Islam a lot, but I am still proud to be a liberal Christian.

So I am trying to work up the courage to ask if I can pray the salah with them. I have some questions lıke - is it respectful to just pray with my body or kneel even if I don't know the Arabic prayers?

Are there any places where I can find an English translation of the arabic prayers you say during salah? Just so I can have the general meaning in my head when I do it?

Also in your own words, what would you say is important about performing the salah for Muslims?
Is it the same reasons I said, for keeping God in your mind throughout the day and physically showing your love to him?

Also I was thinking of maybe performing it in my room a few times before I work up the courage to ask my friends if I can do it with them. I don't know how they will react at all.
But if I want to perform it in my room, should I go out any buy a prayer mat somewhere? Also should the rest of my room be really nice and clean before I perform it?

Thanks again!
Anyway I will post more questions and thoughts later but any thoughts you have would be appreciated!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
11-22-2010, 01:58 PM
I find that to be a very wonderful thought. I can not find anything that forbids such as you are doing so to draw closer to God(swt)

The prayers are very much in the manner Jews and Christians also prayed in the past.

Perhaps this is the first step for you on the road to return home.

Here is a nice first step for learning Salah:

You will also find your Turkish friends will gladly help you in learning Salah and how to do wudu first.

Muslim Woman
11-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Salaam/ Peace

Welcome to the forum .

Well , don't know about fatwa . If u want to try salat , here is an animation. Also , if u don't know Arabic , just say Bismi Allah ( with the name of Allah ) , Allahu Akbar ( only God is Great / God is the gretest ) , Alhamdulillah ( all praises and thanks to God ) etc.

[youtube=425,350]=QsGEWn21mL8[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsGEWn21mL8

Muslimman
11-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Hi there
You desire to perform Salah in the Islamic form indicates that it is a natural thing. The more you know about Islam, the more you will like it.
Go on searching :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
11-30-2010, 05:13 AM
Salaam/ Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by Max-DC
if I want to perform it in my room, should I go out any buy a prayer mat somewhere? Also should the rest of my room be really nice and clean before I perform it?

it's not a must to use prayer mat ; if u have any clean cloth like clean bed sheet , u can offer salat on it. It's a must to have a clean place for salat i.e u must not do it at any place where there is a risk that the place is unclean / impure.

I will post more questions and thoughts later
pl. feel free to ask.

serena77
12-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Salaam
I haven't reverted yet but i found a wonderful website that teaches the arabic pretty much syllable by syllable and its full of repition which helps us learn. It doesn't show the body poses in full... but it gives you the words and i'm up to the fourth video... i don't change videos until i can recite it along w/ the speaker who is very clear. I try to go over them once a night if not twice... and i think there's eight videos.
Serena

Muslim Woman
12-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
......I haven't reverted yet....there's eight videos.

if u believe Islam is the Truth ,then don't wait for
8th vidoe :)

btw which site is that ?

I read a story where a new Muslim saved the salat rules in
the laptop and used to put that in front of her while praying. She then watched and could recite easily :)

[/QUOTE]

serena77
12-13-2010, 10:41 PM
my big opposition to reverting. ...
location location location

and parents.
Its not that i don't agree w/ anything i've read

but i do have a question... this kinda goes along w/ the originial thread and i hope the OP will forgive me for additng this to the thread.
I am technically still catholic..(sigh) ... and i wanted to know... what are islamic prayer beads for... i mean i know what they are for as a catholic.. and i have too many as far as i'm concerned thanks to a well meaning person... but ... why in Islam. I hope no one minds asking...
serena

serena77
12-14-2010, 01:02 AM
the first video in the series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rywok...eature=related

its really helping w/ pronunciation... its not meant to help w/ the stand up sit down kneel stand ( oops that catholic ) sorry :)
but the video is really good.... of course if someone watches it and says omg its so wrong... please let me know.
Serena

Woodrow
12-14-2010, 03:38 PM

and parents.

but i do have a question... this kinda goes along w/ the originial thread and i hope the OP will forgive me for additng this to the thread.
I am technically still catholic..(sigh) ... and i wanted to know... what are islamic prayer beads for... i mean i know what they are for as a catholic.. and i have too many as far as i'm concerned thanks to a well meaning person... but ... why in Islam. I hope no one minds asking...
serena
You may want to check out the origin of the rosary beads. St Claire introduced them as a means of keeping track of the prayers in the rosary after watching Muslims in North Africa using Dhiker Beads. Prior to that the common practice was to use a pile of pebbles. they are similar to rosary beads in that they are a memory aide to keep track of the number of prayers or supplications said. Also a good tool to use when learning the 99 names of Allaah(swt)

أبو سليمان عمر
12-14-2010, 04:03 PM

and parents.

serena
it isnt a MUST or a NEED nor recommanded it is best to use our fingers but people use the to count certain things

serena77
12-16-2010, 10:13 PM
thank you both...
umm i'm sure this will get a few laughs... but do people really memorize all 99 names?

Munda Pakistani
12-17-2010, 02:38 AM
Your posy reminds me of the former Reverend Gerald Driks' story. He described himself as an 'atypical Christian' for a long time.

http://www.thedeenshow.com/show.php?...detail&id=1239

http://www.thedeenshow.com/show.php?...detail&id=1227

Enjoy praying brother.

Max-DC
12-17-2010, 01:20 PM
^ Thank you brother. =)

Anyway I have a nice update for everyone; I asked my friend a few days ago and he said he would take me to the mosque sometime and show me the positions; he has not showed me yet, but since I am here in Turkey for one year I am not in any big rush, and I was really happy to hear back from him.

Then I got an invitation from my friends to perform the Asura fast with them, I was really honored and so I went over to their house and had a nice pre-sunrise meal with them and I'm fasting right now. Like I said before, I'm really grateful to have reconnected with God like this, at times like this I feel a really nice inner peace. Thank you for the encouragement everyone.

Muslim Woman
12-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Salaam/Peace

thanks for the update. Keep us informed like this pl.

Abz2000
01-16-2011, 04:45 AM
salaam serena, i don't believe it's the 99 names, but the prophet's (may peace be upon him) recommendation to say glory be to Almighty God 33 times, Praise be to Almighty God 33 times, and Almighty God is The Greates of all 34 times,
i personally don't like using them as it feels cosmetic and insincere, but i do often read them off my finger notches and i feel that reading them after prayers does make you feel at peace with the Creator of ourselves and the universe,
peace,
abz

Max-DC
01-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Hi everyone,

So I was grateful enough to finally be taught the namaz positions by 3 of my friends this past Thursday. We did it in my room. It was really nice, now everything makes a lot more sense. Because you perform namaz in “units” (2 units, 3 units, etc) I think it is much easier to learn than I previously thought. :) Also they explained that lifting your hands up to your ears is like throwing everything that has happened behind you and putting everything before God. And to turn to the left and the right at the end is to greet the angels who are with you. This explains a lot and I think are really nice concepts. :) I am guessing there are also reasons why you bow with your hands on your knees at 90 degrees, and why you prostrate fully on the ground (to show total respect?). I will try to find these out.

Even though I feel much better knowing the positions now, finding out how much of the Quran you have to memorize and speak at every position is, I admit, very intimidating. =( Especially if you are not born speaking Arabic already; my friends are all Turkish, so they also have had to memorize many verses in a language they don’t even speak. Of course, they were lucky enough to learn these growing up, over many years, as children. But I guess I shouldn’t even be “jealous” about this, because God chose for me to be born in America for a reason, and that my friends said he gives everyone unique struggles and challenges they have to face, and I totally agree. I guess this trust in god’s will is also a big part of Islam.

They also told me that they know the translation/understand of what they are saying, just as I can learn the verses and then the English translation. So I know it is not meaningless for them, but I still wonder if it becomes just like a robotic rote memorization thing for you, if you sometimes end up doing it automatically, if you can’t always think about the full meaning if you do it so many times.

Just a few questions, it’d be nice to know some member’s personal thoughts on this....
If this is the case with memorization (not always thinking of full meaning but just saying), do you believe God still appreciates the fact that you are praying to him with such dedication?

And do you also believe that praying so many times a day increases your conciousness/awareness of God so he is never far from your thoughts throughout the day? If this is true, then what is the purpose of praying in such a rigid/set format?

Is it okay for me to continue to practice Namaz, but then to try to say my own prayers to God at every "station" (bowing, prostrate, sitting) instead? Until I learn all of the verses, I guess.

I hope these questions are not too negative and tough. I am going to continue to practice the namaz positions, and I’m going to try to learn the first verse of the Quran that my friend said was the most important verse you recite when praying namaz (he even said you can pray namaz even if you only know this first verse.)

My friends say that praying namaz throughout the day brings them a feeling of peace, and I can definitely understand that. Last week I got into a fight with my father over webcam/Skype about money, and I was feeling upset so I asked my friend if I could go to the afternoon prayer with him and just copy his movements. I admit I felt much better and more at peace afterwards, just how I would feel if i went into a church and prayed. :)

Finally when I return to the US to visit my family over winter break, I am going to try to visit an mosque for Friday prayers so I can finally go to an english-language sermon and see what it’s like. :) But I don’t have a car and I don’t think my parents will appreciate me asking them to drive me to a mosque.....i dont suppose anyone here lives in Houston, TX lol?

Anyway thanks a lot guys, please feel free to give me your views on my questions or why namaz is important to you, etc.

MustafaMc
01-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I am guessing there are also reasons why you bow with your hands on your knees at 90 degrees, and why you prostrate fully on the ground (to show total respect?). I will try to find these out.
Yes, my perspective is that they are a time-honored gestures of humility and submission to another one's authority.
Even though I feel much better knowing the positions now, finding out how much of the Quran you have to memorize and speak at every position is, I admit, very intimidating.
Yes, this was very difficult for me as well when I converted to Islam. Initially, I memorized based on written transliterations of the Arabic, but later found out that I was mis-pronouncing a lot of the words. I have found the Juz30 software to be an excellent way to learn the Arabic. I suggest learning Surahs 1, 103, 108, and 112 http://www.imaanstar.com/juz30.php
They also told me that they know the translation/understand of what they are saying, just as I can learn the verses and then the English translation. So I know it is not meaningless for them, but I still wonder if it becomes just like a robotic rote memorization thing for you, if you sometimes end up doing it automatically, if you can’t always think about the full meaning if you do it so many times.
Yes, any ritual can become like you said. I have to put forth effort to think (in English) about what I am reciting in Arabic and to remember how many units or rakat that I have said. It is very easy for one's mind to wander to other things during salah and one has to be constantly aware of his prayer.
Just a few questions, it’d be nice to know some member’s personal thoughts on this....
If this is the case with memorization (not always thinking of full meaning but just saying), do you believe God still appreciates the fact that you are praying to him with such dedication?
Yes, we are still fulfilling our duty to pray 5 times a day and He realizes our human limitations. We strive toward perfection whereby we pray as though we see our Lord and if we can't achieve that level of ihsan, or perfection, then we strive to pray with the realization that He sees us.
And do you also believe that praying so many times a day increases your conciousness/awareness of God so he is never far from your thoughts throughout the day? If this is true, then what is the purpose of praying in such a rigid/set format?
It helps to protect me from sin in that it would be hypocritical to do so and then get up for salah. An essential element of Islam is that we worship God in the manner prescribed by Him through His prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). The Quran was a revelation from God as was the means of worship demonstrated by the prophet (pbuh). It is reprehensible to deviate from this prescribed ritual and all bidah, or innovation, leads to the Hellfire.
Is it okay for me to continue to practice Namaz, but then to try to say my own prayers to God at every "station" (bowing, prostrate, sitting) instead? Until I learn all of the verses, I guess.
Not sure about this. We make our personal supplications most usually while in prostration.
Finally when I return to the US to visit my family over winter break, I am going to try to visit an mosque for Friday prayers so I can finally go to an english-language sermon and see what it’s like. :) But I don’t have a car and I don’t think my parents will appreciate me asking them to drive me to a mosque.....i dont suppose anyone here lives in Houston, TX lol?
You might be surprised. Invite them to join you.
Anyway thanks a lot guys, please feel free to give me your views on my questions or why namaz is important to you, etc.
Salah is an essential part of being a Muslim which is an essential part of my self identity.

Perseveranze
01-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Peace Max,

That is sort of right, though there are many benefits and reasons we Muslims have for Namaz.

- By Praying 5 times a day, it helps us more likely keep away from sinful acts. How many times in the world have people gotten angry over something, done their wudu and prayed and then come out in such a peacful state of mind. By praying 5 times during the day, your hopefully further away from doing things you know you shouldn't be.

- Being grateful. Let me literate some verses of the Quran -

“We showed him (i.e. man) the way: whether he be grateful or ungrateful (rests on his will).”(al-Insân 76:3)

“It is He Who brought you forth from the wombs of your mothers when you knew nothing; and He gave you hearing and sight and intelligence and affection: that you may give thanks (to Allâh).” (an-Nahl, 16:78)

"Then I will certainly come to them from before them and from behind them, and from the right-hand side and from the left-hand side, and Thou (Allah) shall not find most of them thankful." [Qur'an 7:17]

"Therefore remember Me, I will remember you, And be thankful to Me, and do not be ungrateful to Me." [Qur'an 2:152]

"And He gives you all that you ask for. But if you count the favors of Allah, never will you be able to number them. Verily, man is given up to injustice and ingratitude." [Qur'an 14:34]

Praying is one way of being Grateful to your Creator, and what Musilm isn't Grateful? Look at this Hadith -

Narrated Al-Mughira: The Prophet used to stand (in the prayer) or pray till both his feet or legs swelled. He was asked why (he offered such an unbearable prayer) and he said, “should I not be a thankful slave?” (Sahih Bukhari – Book #21, Hadith #230)

There's also other reasons, which are certainily beneficial to ourselves, but hope that gives you an insight as to why Prayer is so important.

Woodrow
01-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Hi everyone,

So I was grateful enough to finally be taught the namaz positions by 3 of my friends this past Thursday. We did it in my room. It was really nice, now everything makes a lot more sense. Because you perform namaz in “units” (2 units, 3 units, etc) I think it is much easier to learn than I previously thought. :) Also they explained that lifting your hands up to your ears is like throwing everything that has happened behind you and putting everything before God. And to turn to the left and the right at the end is to greet the angels who are with you. This explains a lot and I think are really nice concepts. :) I am guessing there are also reasons why you bow with your hands on your knees at 90 degrees, and why you prostrate fully on the ground (to show total respect?). I will try to find these out.

Even though I feel much better knowing the positions now, finding out how much of the Quran you have to memorize and speak at every position is, I admit, very intimidating. =( Especially if you are not born speaking Arabic already; my friends are all Turkish, so they also have had to memorize many verses in a language they don’t even speak. Of course, they were lucky enough to learn these growing up, over many years, as children. But I guess I shouldn’t even be “jealous” about this, because God chose for me to be born in America for a reason, and that my friends said he gives everyone unique struggles and challenges they have to face, and I totally agree. I guess this trust in god’s will is also a big part of Islam.

I hope these questions are not too negative and tough. I am going to continue to practice the namaz positions, and I’m going to try to learn the first verse of the Quran that my friend said was the most important verse you recite when praying namaz (he even said you can pray namaz even if you only know this first verse.)

My friends say that praying namaz throughout the day brings them a feeling of peace, and I can definitely understand that. Last week I got into a fight with my father over webcam/Skype about money, and I was feeling upset so I asked my friend if I could go to the afternoon prayer with him and just copy his movements. I admit I felt much better and more at peace afterwards, just how I would feel if i went into a church and prayed. :)

I am a former Texan. There are quite a few Masjids in Houston. Down in the Southern Section not far from the Pasadena area.

ISGH would be very pleased to help you find one near you:

Islamic Society of Greater Houston (Isgh):
3110 Eastside Street
Houston, TX 77098

(713) 524-6615

zakirs
01-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Salams to all,

Great to read about you Max.I hope we had more people like you so that there would not be as many misunderstandings in this world.

Ibn Soekarno
01-25-2011, 07:24 AM
We are all here just wanna say about how happy we are to find this delightful experience to be able to know each other. I am from the side of Muslim.

May us be someone who follow the perfect guidance, to be on perfect state of living and may all us becoming the denizens of the blissful Heaven and to live inside Paradise for eternity.

We all are here to get some perfect guidance and to live more prosperous live. We all hope that nobody here wants to live in the eternal Hellfire, but they are struggling to live in the eternal Heaven, to live very happily in the blissful Garden of Eden.

Ramadhan
01-26-2011, 01:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn Soekarno
We are all here just wanna say about how happy we are to find this delightful experience to be able to know each other. I am from the side of Muslim.

Selamat datang di Islamic Board.
anak dari soekarno? :)

Mungkin bisa memperkenalkan diri dulu di sini dengan membuat thread baru http://www.islamicboard.com/introduce-yourself/

Nizam1
01-29-2011, 02:01 AM
Hi everyone,

This is wonderful Max.

My family and I are new reverts. I know that it does seem extremely hard to learn when you first look at it all, but it's actually not as bad as you might initially think. Learning it bit by bit and practising over and over again, and you pick it up reasonably fast. I suppose it depends on how serious the person is about learning it, and how much time they have in which they can learn it. It's obvious to point out that some people will find it easier than others. You're young, which is an advantage you have over me! I taught my boys (aged 15 to 6) and they picked things up quickly. My eldest two practised together in one of their bedrooms day after day, time after time, until they got it (I didn't ask them to do that, they just did). You will get there, I promise!

You can find plenty guides online, in English and Arabic, and there is also an audio version available that I once downloaded. You might find that helpful.

In answer to some of your questions, and providing some of my own thoughts, I would recommend you buy a prayer mat. Buy a good one too; it's worth it. You don't have to do so, but I think you would feel better if you did, and it might help you to focus and concentrate. My boys selected their own prayer mats and I think it helped to understand what they were doing and why. If they had been practising on a linen sheet, I'm not personally sure if they'd have made the connection to how important salaah is. What I'm trying to say (perhaps badly!) is that they knew the mat was for prayer, and because there was a mat especially for prayer, it signified how important it was. It wasn't for any other purpose, and served as a reminder. That's just my opinion. It's however you feel about it that is most important.

Remember to cover your head with a prayer cap when you pray. You can pick one of those up easily and cheaply. You might also want to consider praying barefoot. This is a personal thing, and you don't have to do so. But I'd recommend you give it a try and see what is best for you.

StudentIII
01-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Really interesting to read your story. Keep us updated.

Things might feel overwhelming to learn all at once. Just take it one step at a time.

Max-DC
02-01-2011, 05:37 AM
Thank you to everyone for the kind words and encouragement. Every time I log on here and read more words of support from you guys, it really brightens my day. :)

Thank you also to Perseveranze and Mustafa-MC for your explanations, the "preventing sin" really does make sense, I understand how it helps keep you in a "holy" mindset. Also, it was my overwhelming sense of gratitude to God for giving so much in Turkey that made me want to pray namaz in the first place, so the gratitude thing makes sense too of course.

This past Thursday was my last day in Turkey for a while, before leaving to see my family in America for about 2 weeks. On this day, I met a friend in the morning, and we ended up going to his uncle's house. I prayed the Zuhr prayer with him - which again, seems really long "on paper" (sth like 6 rakat?) but when we actually went through all of them it didn't seem long at all+ I felt really nice afterward. I think his relatives were pleasantly surprised, or a little impressed, even though we went to a bedroom to do it in private.

A little later, around 3, I had to return back to my home to start packing. It must have been around 3:30 and my friend went to see me off at the ferry station. At the ferry station, there is a large and very beautiful mosque, built in the 1500s by the Ottomans. I asked my friend if I could please pray the next one with him here. As I had just learned how to even do salah 4 days ago, this was my first time doing it in a mosque/in public and I was a little bit nervous.

Instead of going into the mosque, we performed it on one of the outside platforms you can see here:

First we went through either 2 or 3 rakat, and I thought we were done, but we were actually doing the "optional" set (by which I mean what the Prophet did), and we still had to do the mandatory ones.

But! Then something very interesting happened.
An old man had gone to the left of my friend and started praying it along with us, so now my friend explained that we would have to do the next few rakat in union or "salat" now. This was of course my first time performing in a congregational or unity prayer with other people! So we lined up in a certain way and all proceeded to pray together, with my friend leading/reciting. Moving in harmony, with the sound of the busy street behind us, in the afternoon sun....it was a really great experience and I felt very in connection with God.

What was really great was, halfway through our rakat another man came up out of nowhere and joined us, stood next to me with his shoulder touching mine! My friends had told me before that when praying in unison, you are supposed to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with fellow Muslims, even if they are total strangers. I had thought that was a really nice idea, but this was my first time experiencing it. I can't describe how fulfilling it was. At that moment, I really understood of "community" and praying in unision, in such close contact, with fellow brothers or sisters. I think in modern life (in western culture at least) there can be so much distance between "strangers" but when you have a stranger come up to you in this manner, even without saying anything....it really does build a sense of togetherness. I was honestly very touched by this experience, everyone, even though you all might think it to be a very minor thing. :)

But that wasn't all!
Then I went home across the river/bogazici strait....long story short, I met up with more friends later that day and I was blessed enough to be able to pray the Maghrib prayer with them, in our neighboorhood mosque. This time it was 5 or 6 us all lined up while another of my friends recited, he told me he recited from the Book of Mary for me which was really nice of him. =) Again, praying it with my friends in total unison, in the mosque, I really understood the importance of ummah. because of some things i struggled with in my past, like being lonely or not having a lot of friends that were guys when I was a younger kid, I think God is really speaking to me through this "brotherhood" or "community" aspect...at least, it's one thing about Islam that really appeals to me. :)

Anyway, I am back home and unfortunately separated from my friends for a little while....I miss hearing the call to prayer, but I'm still going to try to practice every day. I don't know if I can even find a ride by Friday, but if I can't I will be in Washington DC the following week and will be able to go to a Friday sermon at a mosque there.

I also must admit, I ran into some trouble when I got into an online disagreement about the afterlife. My friends had previous told me that Believers or People of the Book were respected in Islam/the Quran, and so after they die, the common muslim belief is that their belief in God will be recognized and they'll be judged on their actions just as Muslims are. But I talked to a Saudi (I assume wahabbi) guy online who told me that they will be judged for being non-muslims, which really upset me. I say not this out of concern for myself but my american friends/family, etc. I trust at the very least, there is a range of opinions/positions on this topic within Islam, just as there are a range of beliefs within Christianity.

Anyway I won't get bogged down with that but will instead focus on the positives/fundamental beliefs of Islam. I'll give you guys another update soon, sorry for writing so much. :)

Muslim Woman
02-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Salaam/Peace

....I miss hearing the call to prayer
u may here it online .

Athan (Azan) 3.9 allows you to hear automatic Athan (Azan) at the right time five times a day on every prayer time

http://www.islamicfinder.org/athanDownload.php

MustafaMc
02-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Thank you also to Perseveranze and Mustafa-MC for your explanations, the "preventing sin" really does make sense, I understand how it helps keep you in a "holy" mindset.
You are welcome.
But! Then something very interesting happened. ... I can't describe how fulfilling it was. At that moment, I really understood of "community" and praying in unision, in such close contact, with fellow brothers or sisters.
I know exactly what you mean. Allah (subhana wa ta ala) blessed me with the most amazing opportunity to make pilgrimage (hajj) to Mecca last November. The part I enjoyed most was praying in congregation with thousands of other Muslims from all over the world. Yes, indeed it was a powerful experience to pray exactly in unison with so many people.
... he recited from the Book of Mary for me which was really nice of him.
Reading from this surah and others about Jesus and Mary (peace be upon them) is what led me to convert to Islam in 1982.
I don't know if I can even find a ride by Friday, but if I can't I will be in Washington DC the following week and will be able to go to a Friday sermon at a mosque there.
I had the opportunity to pray in the main masjid in D.C. in 2002.
My friends had previous told me that Believers or People of the Book were respected in Islam/the Quran, and so after they die, the common muslim belief is that their belief in God will be recognized and they'll be judged on their actions just as Muslims are.
This is a very touchy subject. My wife and I are the only Muslims in our family and both of my parents died as Christians. A Muslim friend tries to console me that their judgement is with Allah and that there is yet hope that they would be forgiven. What matters is not the opinion of men, but rather the will of Allah. For myself I stand on the promises that Allah made over and over in the Quran of Paradise for those who believe and do good. Ultimately, I hope in the mercy of Allah, but I also fear His wrath because I am unable to judge my own heart and my innermost intentions for what I do. Proper belief is essential with the most fundamental one being the belief in One God (Allah) without father, mother, son, daughter or equal. The Quran also states that they disbelieve (in the Oneness of God) who say that Jesus (pbuh) is the Son of God. The most serious sin in Islam is that of ascribing partners (shirk) with Allah, but even in the Quran (5:118) Jesus is quoted as saying regarding his followers to Allah, "If You punish them, lo! they are Your slaves, and if You forgive them (lo! they are Your slaves). Lo! You, only You, are the Mighty, the Wise."

MustafaMc
02-03-2011, 05:55 AM
I was listening to surah An Kabut (The Spider) and heard a relevant ayat (29:45), "O Prophet! Recite to humanity all that has been revealed to you of the Quran, the Book of God. Moreover, duly establish the prayer. Indeed, the prayer guards one against immorality and evil. Yet, most surely, the remembrance of God in the life of this world is greater extolment for one still. And God knows all that you do." The ritual prayer is a very important form of worship in Islam as it is a reminder to the person that God is aware of all that he does, including prayer.

Sunnie Ameena
03-09-2011, 07:03 PM
I had the same thought as you. I am a Christian, but would love to be able to be able to express my love for God in other ways too. And I have looking into and reading about the Muslim faith. I hope you get some responses. Sunnie

MartyrX
03-09-2011, 10:11 PM
That is good to hear. I highly recommend you check out Woodrow's youtube video he posted. It is by Shaykh Muhammad Adly and he provides great instruction on doing the salah. I have a book by him that helped me greatly.

Sunnie Ameena
03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
I am really learning alot from this site, except how to navigate to different things. LOL. Are there any websites that I could go to, that will teach me more about the Muslim Faith? I am also hoping to make new friends here. Sunnie

Huzzy_786
03-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Allhuakbar!

Mashallah, Brother this actions of yours have really touched my hearth, and i am sure it has to the other muslims out there too. I wish i can come to turkey and show you how to proform it my self :P Hope you enjoy the connection with you and god :)

Also if you read the info about why we proform sallah and fast it would give you more peace and sometimes also makes you cry.

Thanks for your time ;)

Keep it up mate, and keep us updates.

Woodrow
03-14-2011, 12:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sunniemontana
I am really learning alot from this site, except how to navigate to different things. LOL. Are there any websites that I could go to, that will teach me more about the Muslim Faith? I am also hoping to make new friends here. Sunnie
I myself found it to be difficult to learn about Islam online only. The best way is to meet some Muslims in person. But, remember Islam is not a blind faith. We are encouraged to to verify all things from as many sources as possible. A forum such as this is a good starting point, but it is very far from complete.

Learn first the very basics such as our "Pillars of Faith"

and read several translations of the Qur'an.

http://www.multimediaquran.com/quran/index1.htm

Keeping in mind that no Translation has the exact meanings as are expressed in Arabic, which is why I say read several different translations.

MustafaMc
03-14-2011, 01:51 AM
I agree with Brother Woodrow that there is no perfect translation of the Quran into any language that conveys the full meaning of the Arabic. I have 7 translations of the Quran into English with the translators being Ahmad Hammad,Yusuf Ali, Marmaduke Pickthall, Muhsin Khan, Ali Ozek (committee), Ali Unal, and T.B. Irving. I really like the Gracious Quran translated by Hammad http://www.universalknowledgeinstitu...ead-about.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!