/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to lose weight? If yes then enter here:

Pages : [1] 2

جوري
11-23-2010, 09:15 PM
:sl:

I am making this thread to help and motivate the brothers and sisters who want to lose weight.. I realize many of you actually want to pack on some pounds so this isn't for you..

This is how we'll start:

you click on this link:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

enter your weight height etc. and it will let you know how many calories you ought to be having per day.

two

portion control

you can use this link:

http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/

enter the food you are having and don't exceed it in caloric intake..
Now I wouldn't advise losing more than a pound a week but some of you might opt for two. Please be mindful that even though your body will breakdown your fat reserves to make up for the deficit it will also breakdown muscle and I won't get into the biochem of that perhaps one of those who newly entered medical school can wow us by listing their fatty acid synthesis and breakdown cycle but we are not interested in that for the purposes of this thread unless you really want to be convinced, know that your body on daily basis has to use energy to filter your waste, detoxify you and pump your tissues full of O2 amongst thousands of other physiological and biochemical pathways..

so to cut down all the mumbo jumbo this is about all you need a diary:

So you wake up and document what you have had I'd also advise a food scale for those of you awful at guesstimating with a single serving is but if you are not then you just put down everything and calculate:

for instance today I had 225 calories for breakfast broken down to:

One English Muffin 120 calories
one Pastrami slice 30 calories
one slice of american cheese 55 calories
one coffee with coffee mate 20 calories
taking the total to 225 for breakfast

Dinner (or lunch) depending on your perspective I had
1/4 cup white beans with tomato sauce 198 calories
Indian fried rice 221 calories
taking my dinner total to 419 calories for a total of 644 consumed

the last meal of the day I'll probably have cereal but you get the picture my daily caloric intake doesn't exceed 1200 (and as I said you can determine that using the scale above) so I have 556 calories left on my scale which I guess I can also have a snack a banana or something if I want..

so if you want to carry on this thread at the end of the week you can report your energy level and weight loss (or not)

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
11-23-2010, 09:18 PM
as an addendum to the above many of you will want to check with your doctor before embarking on this journey and please always take a daily multivitamin with minerals since you can lose many nutrients in the process of losing weight..

also don't forget a light exercise you don't want to lose weight and have your skin hanging there..

IslamicRevival
11-23-2010, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
I realize many of you actually want to pack on some pounds so this isn't for you..
I fit into this category. Anyone got any tips on how to gain weight?

جوري
11-23-2010, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Troubled Soul
I fit into this category.
May Allah swt be pleased with you.. I hope your mood changes for the better insha'Allah...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
11-23-2010, 09:50 PM
There are similar sites which you could also use to gain weight.
The principle is the same, but there are option for losing one or two pounds a week as well as for gaining one or two pounds a week.

Needless to say, those who want to lose weight always envy those who try to gain, and those who want to gain cannot understand why the others are finding it so hard to lose weight ...

The geeky 'put-everything-you-eat-and-everything-you-exercise' works well for me, and I have used it successfully in the past.
It is time consuming though to put everything into the computer.
(And don't snack on sweets and treats while you are doing so! :D)

glo
11-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I have also read the recommendation not to go below 1200 calories per day if you are dieting for extended periods, unless you are on a medically supervised weight loss program or after consultation with your doctor.
Diets which are less than 1200 calories per day are not nutritionally adequate and over a period of time, you may not be getting enough of certain nutrients.

Beardo
11-23-2010, 09:57 PM
No way I'm recording the calories I eat per day. v_v

But I do want to lose weight.

GuestFellow
11-23-2010, 10:02 PM

Eat less + more exercise = lose weight.

glo
11-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Rashad, you could try some simple principles without counting calories. I can understand that some, even many people might find that quite tedious.

• Assess you food habits and try to reduce those high calorie foods, such as cheese, pastries, sweets, cream etc.
  • Allow yourself ONE treat only per day
  • Reduce your meal portions in general
  • Fill up on extra fruit and vegetables.
  • Try to avoid sauces, as they may contain fat
  • Exercise!

جوري
11-23-2010, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
No way I'm recording the calories I eat per day. v_v But I do want to lose weight.

It is like someone saying, I want to pass the test but no way am I sitting down and studying for it...

anything that has to be done right, has to be done in an academic fashion and with consistency...

Danah
11-23-2010, 10:16 PM
I think gaining weight by eating healthy food sometimes can be harder than eating healthy food to lose weight!

GuestFellow
11-23-2010, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
No way I'm recording the calories I eat per day. v_v

But I do want to lose weight.

I would make permanent lifestyle changes. I think you should avoid diets because they are not useful in the long-term. Do some research and learn to eat healthily. Exercise everyday. I used to exercise 20 minutes everyday and after couple of months, I increased this to 60 minutes. I prefer to exercise in the morning. Don't rush...try to get into the habit of it.

جوري
11-23-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't believe in dieting or dieting fads 'the hollywood all you can eat cookie diet, or atkins diet or this diet' you can in fact eat all you want and lose weight, you just can't eat as much as you want.. one oreo cookie as opposed to 6 for instance.. portion control in a 40% carbs 30% fats 30% proteins balanced fashion. I can't think of a better way than writing down what you are having in your initial stages.. afterward your body will simply accustom itself to eating less..

CosmicPathos
11-23-2010, 11:36 PM
nice effort. Will report back after finishing up my ruffles pack. :p

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-24-2010, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ProfessorSunday

Eat less + more exercise = lose weight.

No! If you eat less and exercise more then chances are you're also loosing valuable muscle mass along with the fat - and that's bad! It's more about eating with moderation and having a balanced exercise routine that focuses on cardio + weight training in order to burn out the fat and retain (or increase) muscle. And don't diet! Cut down certain foods like rice etc, but don't get on a diet program that doesn't take into account your personal physique and calorie needs.

Same thing with wanting to gain weight - you need to increase calorie intake and also hit up the gym and focus on weight training and bulking up. You'll gain weight via muscle as opposed to fat.

Yanal
11-24-2010, 06:08 AM

I don't think I need to loose any weight but gain muscle? Yes, I do.

Salihah
11-24-2010, 06:40 AM
Thank you, sis. I was thinking about losing weight but actually all I've lost was motivation :hmm:
Now winter starts in my country - what do you think, is it healthy to reduce energy input this time of the year or shall I wait until spring to get a better result?
I have some disorder with my immune system, now I was told I can eat fat but should avoid carb... that will be the most difficult part for me.

Muhaba
11-24-2010, 07:30 AM
I like this idea. I've been trying to lose weight for a long time and if i don't watch what i eat even for a few days i tend to gain weight quickly. In the past month, i gained a few kg so now i'm exercising daily and watching what i eat. exercise is necessary if you want to keep the weight off. With exercise, you build muscle which actually burns more calories so your required daily calories increase which in turn helps you lose more weight. on the other hand, dieting without exercising makes you lose muscle and that lowers the calories you need so you have more difficulty keeping the weight off. as soon as you stop dieting, you tend to gain weight. Also, muscle is leaner than fat, so if you gain muscle and burn fat by combining exercise with dieting, you tend to look thinner. Another thing that helps in losing weight is to avoid certain types of food, like rice and pasta. Salads on the other hand are a dieter's friend. tomatoes and cucumbers are my favorite.

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-24-2010, 07:48 AM
I would thank from the bottom of my heart to anyone who will help me gain ~30lbs overnight. :(
Or should I countermand the above mentioned tips....:p

Muhaba
11-24-2010, 07:51 AM
^eat more than your required calories. there are some foods that make you gain weight fast, like deep fried stuff, so you can try those.

tango92
11-24-2010, 08:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid
I would thank from the bottom of my heart to anyone who will help me gain ~30lbs overnight. :(
Or should I countermand the above mentioned tips....:p
skip breakfast. and eat every 2 hours or less

go to the gym. do sum pushups, squats, bench press, pullups, rows, and curls

tango92
11-24-2010, 08:51 AM
heres a recipe to get FAT:

BREAKFAST!!! (eat 2 hrs after waking in which time eat nothing)
2-3 toasts with fish fingers, beans, whatever (you can have jam but youll be missing out on calories) = approx 250 calories (or your normal hot breakfast)
now 400ml of whole milk + 2 raw eggs + banana + 2-3 table spoons of white sugar + BLENDER = (according to my calculations) 656 calories

for a grand total of approx 1000 calories. MashAllah thats 40% of a normal persons eating done with the first meal. bear in mind eating until you feel sick is makruh, so you can break this down over 2 meals inshallah.

make sure you eat the toast first because the milkshake tends to go down no problem. but if you drink the shake 1st you may have trouble eating the proper meal.

now here are good foods for calories and protein : fried chicken, nuts like almonds and peanuts, potatoes (even chips but make sure they are almost 100% potato), rice, roti + boti (or paratha + boti) lol, baked beans, pizza.

bear in mind for a normal person this is a pretty unhealthy diet, but for my guy abdul majid it may be what hes been lookin 4. CONSUME AT UR OWN RISK

Asiyah3
11-24-2010, 09:17 AM

Is it possible to 'control' from which part of your body you lose weight? Some people are fat from the upper body, some lower body, some from the hands or face etc.

Rafeeq
11-24-2010, 10:25 AM
It is very difficult to control diet, how are you guys doing.

جوري
11-24-2010, 02:45 PM

firstly this is no diet, I have already stated that that I don't believe in diets, it is about eating all you want in moderation.. so get a food scale like this one:

or a digital one

they are cheap I have one for $6.00 from ebay.. I just put chicken, meat whatever and see how many oz. I enter is into my machine and it tells me how many calories it is, believe me it is much cheaper than joining any program.. all you need it motivation. I'd also advise getting an excellent bathroom scale and weighing your progress weekly. Don't over do it or under do it. Simply because the physiology of your body will not be able to handle the strain.. your heart for starters needs energy to pump your blood across all day, you don't want to be deprived to end up with headaches and lethargy and then death.. that goes for both weight loss and weight gain.. everything must be gradual and there is absolutely no medical need to lose more than a pd. a week.

If you have a metabolic disorder you need to consult a dietitian to see which foods to use and which oils.. sometimes people can't break down long chain fatty or have MCAD and need to be on a high carb diet with supplementation with L-Carnitine all those variations need a proper consultation .. your body IS a chemical factory so don't experiment like an amateur, KNOW what you are doing.

Also unfortunately you can't control which portion to lose weight from first, and most tend to lose it from areas they'd like to keep, so if you don't want to lose the weight and be hanging skin over bones then please follow through with light exercise I recommend resistance bands for starters they are no more than $10-$15 bucks at amazon.com or .co.uk

and do exercises like this for starters just for muscle tone:

they come in different resistance from light to extreme:

you type into youtube resistance band exercises and it will show you exercises for legs for arms for thighs for women for men.. it doesn't have to take more than 5 minutes to start and then you can gradually increase your workout..
you have to just want this and not think of it as a diet rather a healthier life style..

أحمد
11-24-2010, 02:56 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Runaway

Is it possible to 'control' from which part of your body you lose weight? Some people are fat from the upper body, some lower body, some from the hands or face etc.
To a certain level; yes, but its very difficult. The best option is to lose it at a slow and reasonably steady pace. A doctor may be able to shed some light on this, fat is easier to burn off from the abdominal region; even when thats not the main focus of a particular exercise.

:wa:

tango92
11-24-2010, 04:42 PM

i have heard it's entirely genetic. Make dua inshAllah

جوري
11-24-2010, 05:11 PM
The only way to control the fat deposition in a particular region is to get regional liposuction.. and even that isn't without its complications and outside of complications artistry.. you may get 10cc more from one thigh as opposed to the other and end up all lopsided looking.. there is only one correct way to do this.. gradual and consistent... eventually your body type will be the same only a smaller version of itself.. if you were always apple shaped you'll maintain your apple shape in a smaller ratio. if you were pear shaped you'll continue being pear shaped, if you were hour glass you'll be a better hour glass.. your body shape is dictated by your genetics, obesity for the most part and outside of very rare endocrine disorders is dictated by your life style and eating habits..

::

جوري
11-24-2010, 05:38 PM
what to do when you start feeling like crap a few days into your new life style?

It isn't uncommon to feel lousy, unlike yourself and even come down with flu like symptoms. If you are doing too much too fast that is even more of a palpable problem than those with gradual change. Your body is by now used to artificial colors and flavorings, high sodium, inverted sugars and it is going through withdrawal.. food can be a drug like any other drug.. you dump so much crap in it for years and all of a sudden it becomes confused.. this is the moment when most people lapse into their old habits. they feel like they are going to die. Well you aren't at least not quite yet (we are all going to die anyway) but not from eating healthy. As stated this problem can be avoided if you have a gradual decrease for instance if you are accustomed to 2400 calorie diet don't all of a sudden go down to 1300 calories.. try to decrease by two hundred calories and stick with that for a week or two, then another 100 and stick with that for a week or two. Remember NOT to go below your nutritional needs (your body simply needs this fuel and nutrients to function) so depriving yourself means heart problems, kidney problems, all kinds of problems.

If you followed the recipe to a T and still feel like crappola then it is good to pay your old doctor another visit and discuss it, maybe there is something else going on, but just give it a week first to see if the symptoms resolve..

Many people quit simply for that reason alone, like quitting smoking or drugs, your body tells you what it needs and you obey it.. this time around you tell your body what it needs and it has to obey you!

IslamicRevival
11-24-2010, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
heres a recipe to get FAT:

BREAKFAST!!! (eat 2 hrs after waking in which time eat nothing)
2-3 toasts with fish fingers, beans, whatever (you can have jam but youll be missing out on calories) = approx 250 calories (or your normal hot breakfast)
now 400ml of whole milk + 2 raw eggs + banana + 2-3 table spoons of white sugar + BLENDER = (according to my calculations) 656 calories

for a grand total of approx 1000 calories. MashAllah thats 40% of a normal persons eating done with the first meal. bear in mind eating until you feel sick is makruh, so you can break this down over 2 meals inshallah.

make sure you eat the toast first because the milkshake tends to go down no problem. but if you drink the shake 1st you may have trouble eating the proper meal.

now here are good foods for calories and protein : fried chicken, nuts like almonds and peanuts, potatoes (even chips but make sure they are almost 100% potato), rice, roti + boti (or paratha + boti) lol, baked beans, pizza.
I can barely drink a cup of tea in the morning never mind eat 2-3 toasts?! +o( Like someone said in this thread, its probably harder to gain weight then to lose it as generally people who want to pack on some pounds have a poor appetite

Great thread Vales lily

جوري
11-24-2010, 06:46 PM
^^ Jazaka Allah khyran -- insha'Allah it will be beneficial to all..

جوري
11-24-2010, 11:39 PM
anyone to report their caloric intake today can be day 1 if you want to join.

I have cheated today from the cutoff point of 1200 and had 1461 calories, yesterday I had 834 so today I indulged.. good to not give the exact same caloric intake everyday and I don't recommend that any female go below 1250 or male below 1500 without direct medical supervision.

CosmicPathos
11-25-2010, 12:37 AM
I had two white breads + strawberry jam for breakfast.
Had a tim hortons egg salad sandwich with brown bread right now.
a medium coffee with 2 creams and 2 sugars.
will have couple of fruits in few hours.

caloric intake = egg salad (360 kcal) + coffee ( 150kcals) + breakfast ( 200 kcals)

caloric output via workout = biceps (3 reps), triceps (3 reps), squats (3 reps) , abdominal (3 reps), back (1 rep).

as a resuly, my gastrocnemius and psoas major is numb ...

جوري
11-25-2010, 12:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
I had two white breads + strawberry jam for breakfast.
Had a tim hortons egg salad sandwich with brown bread right now.
a medium coffee with 2 creams and 2 sugars.
will have couple of fruits in few hours.

caloric intake = egg salad (360 kcal) + coffee ( 150kcals) + breakfast ( 200 kcals)

caloric output via workout = biceps (3 reps), triceps (3 reps), squats (3 reps) , abdominal (3 reps), back (1 rep).

as a resuly, my gastrocnemius and psoas major is numb ...
give just total ins and outs you. :raging: ;D

Muhaba
11-25-2010, 07:36 AM

You can tone different parts of the body by doing exercise for those parts of the body, like bench press, sit ups, etc. A good book that gives you an exercise routine is Body for Life (I think that's what it's called.) the book recommends doing exercise for the upper body three times a week and for the lower body + abdomen exercise three times a week. you can also try online websites like ediets.com and efitness.com which show you which exercise to do to tone various parts of the body.

Hulk
11-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Masha Allah, I just joined this forum and I find this thread lol.

I'm currently on my own mission of losing weight as well and have been doing so quite successfully through a calorie deficit diet and exercise.

Runaway: Is it possible to 'control' from which part of your body you lose weight? Some people are fat from the upper body, some lower body, some from the hands or face etc.

Ans: No there is no such thing as Spot Fat removal, all we can do is lose the weight. The part of our body which loses the weight is up to our body. However as muhaba mentioned, you can still do weight training to tone up.

Best recipe for losing weight fast:
A healthy calorie deficit diet
Daily cardio
Daily weight training

A calorie deficit diet will get your body to use the energy that is already stored in you as fat/muscle.

A minimum of an hour of cardio and weight training should be sufficient if you want to lose weight quick and healthily.

The cardio will help you in using up the energy in your body, the weight training will help you build muscle which will increase your metabolism.

I recently hit a plateau from my diet, which meant that whatever I tried I could not lose the weight. I did some research and found out that the calorie deficit in my diet was too big, which sparked a starvation response from my body.

My body, thinking I was in a dangerous starving situation, reprogrammed itself into needing less energy in a day. So even though I was eating the same amount, my body was using up less calories. So what I did was I took a break from my diet, ate a calorie maintaining diet for a week to get my metabolism back to regular rate. Now I'm starting the diet again, perhaps this time with not such a big calorie deficit.

Good luck to all my brothers and sisters who want to lose weight!
Salaamualaikum

glo
11-25-2010, 07:47 PM
How many calories per day are you aiming for this time, Hulk?

Hulk
11-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Im not sure what just happened I think I accidentally deleted 2 posts I just posted. Strange.. I was just clicking the different icons to see what it does.

I guess i should start again

I am aiming for at least a 500 calorie deficit this time, though I am still learning how to actually count the calories in what I eat :) Are you losing weight as well glo? Or are you just into keeping fit? :)

Hulk
11-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Wow I just found out that I posted the messages in my "Introduction" thread, how silly of me. Ill just copy and paste them here..

I haven't calculated my TDEE of my new weight and to be honest even when I had too big of a calorie deficit I wasn't really counting calories. I was just eating small portions 6 times a day. Its embarrassing but I dont quite understand how to calculate the amount of calories I'm eating. Even after looking at the nutritional labels lol. I just know that the recommended calorie deficit is 500 less than your TDEE. But I dont know what is 500 calories less, is that like minus one fish?

If I am not mistaken,
1 gram of carb/protein is 4 calories correct?
1 gram of fat is 12 calories.
So if I want to know the amount of calories in a food, I have to add the total grams of what im eating and multiply by the amount of calories they are? Is this how you calculate calories?

glo
11-25-2010, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
I am aiming for at least a 500 calorie deficit this time, though I am still learning how to actually count the calories in what I eat :) Are you losing weight as well glo? Or are you just into keeping fit? :)
I'm not really losing weight, Hulk, although I am of an age when it is worth keeping an eye on it!
I have been blessed with being tall and slim, although as I get older my weight tries to creep up - so I have times when I keep it in check. If ever I feel the need to lose weight, it is usually only 3 or 4 pounds, because I don't allow my weight to go up any higher.

Since I have had my children my BMI has ranged from 20 to 23. At the moment it is 21. I'm more that happy with that.

جوري
11-25-2010, 08:18 PM
If I am not mistaken, 1 gram of carb/protein is 4 calories correct? 1 gram of fat is 12 calories. So if I want to know the amount of calories in a food, I have to add the total grams of what im eating and multiply by the amount of calories they are? Is this how you calculate calories?

you are right in that regard: A gram of carbohydrate contains 4 calories. A gram of protein also contains 4 calories. A gram of fat, though, contains 9 calories
but I just have a three dollar program that does the calculations for me so it makes my life easier and I'd recommend people invest in one as opposed to joining a $300 a month nutri-system or Jenny craig to simply spend $3.00 and do it themselves and actually enjoy a preservative free food that tastes fresh and not like cardboard..
be that as it may, a food scale is also needed so that even with the help of a program one knows how many oz. they are actually calculating.

that is the difficult part.. another difficult part is finding the right snacks to help both with the nutritional need and are bulky enough to be satisfying..

I personally like a particular brand of cheddar rice cakes and luna bars but I am pretty sure everyone can find something they like..

Hulk
11-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Thats good Glo! A BMI of 21 sounds fit to me! Perhaps I can reach it some day :)

Ah lily, so its 9 calories not 12. my bad. I have invested in a food scale as well, though just a simple analog one it still does its job. I too have found that eating fresher food does make a difference! It is most noticeable I find when you go from fresh food to preservative food. One of the changes I made when I started my new diet was reducing the number of egg yolks. It felt weird at first but now I enoy it very much. Im still learning new recipes I can make with healthy food so as to keep myself from getting bored. Haha I cant believe theres an actual health thread in here, this is so cool!

Asiyah3
11-25-2010, 09:39 PM
If one eats vegetables, salad and other healthy stuff, and may now and then eat moderately unhealthy stuff and her body naturally loses weight this way. Is there harm if one loses weight this way without exercising?

جوري
11-25-2010, 10:08 PM

Ah lily, so its 9 calories not 12. my bad. I have invested in a food scale as well, though just a simple analog one it still does its job. I too have found that eating fresher food does make a difference! It is most noticeable I find when you go from fresh food to preservative food. One of the changes I made when I started my new diet was reducing the number of egg yolks. It felt weird at first but now I enoy it very much. Im still learning new recipes I can make with healthy food so as to keep myself from getting bored. Haha I cant believe theres an actual health thread in here, this is so cool!
:lol: yes 9.. in fact I personally prefer the non-digital scales since they don't have a propensity to malfunction on you but a simple small one is perfect mine is tiny and cost me about 6 bucks. As for the eggs.. my mom buys the bulk

from costco it comes in a six pack.. honestly so light, fluffy and delicious, especially when she makes vegetable omelets with them one egg yolk will give you 70% of your total cholesterol for the day and hardly anyone ever has just one scrambled egg. This is also about 30 calories a serving so you can go crazy with a huge omelet and not break your caloric intake for the day. I hate processed food or one with too much preservatives and I find that when one eats it often they lose their ability to taste the sweets of the earth.. my nieces and nephews are up that alley already. When I was a kid I loved all kinds of fruits, they shriek when we offer them peaches or apples.. what little girl doesn't like watermelons? it is beyond me really and it is unfortunate.. I do however use energy bars, drinks and rice cakes..

If one eats vegetables, salad and other healthy stuff, and may now and then eat moderately unhealthy stuff and her body naturally loses weight this way. Is there harm if one loses weight this way without exercising?
No, no harm but exercise is really good for you, also when you lose the weight unfortunately the skin isn't lost so the only way to get it to not sag is to do some muscle tone exercises.. skin has to stretch and stretch to accommodate all that girth and once it loses its elasticity well.. it is sad so it is best to start early to tone that body.. women also unfortunately due to hormones have that problem far worse than men, especially with cellulite :(

جوري
11-26-2010, 12:51 AM
anyone for reporting their caloric intake for today?

320 for breakfast ( juice) is so highly caloric ugh

70 calories for lunch (just rice chips)

657 for dinner broken down to whole fried fish tilapia at 452 calories and one cup of rice at 205

evening snack

coffee and protein bar at 250 taking my days total to 1297..

I drink water and tea and both have zero calories so I can't emphasize drinking enough..

CosmicPathos
11-26-2010, 02:21 AM
same story as yesterday for me ...

egg salad sandwich, bread with strawberry jam, coffee, 3 cake rusks, I need to cut carbs down, increase protein intake ... for that gonna look into protein bars and protein shakes .... i wonder if i can eat chicken/fish/meat without bread ....

am gonna eat some chicken now. have this huge craving arising within belly for cheese pizza but no ... no .... homemade chicken is healthier!

no gym today as my thighs and abdomen is sore that i missed meet n greet event with surgeons.

p.s. i gotta invest in calorie and oz counter ... sis lily, you got any links? too lazy to do my own research.

جوري
11-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Please list the meal's caloric index.. at least it will help others with their choices...

CosmicPathos
11-26-2010, 02:34 AM
Please list the meal's caloric index.. at least it will help others with their choices...

for the homemade chicken, its hard to calculate :( I dont know how much stuff ill put in my body weighs, plus it has spices, some oil in it .. dont know how much volume? I am bad with these calculations. Let me try some website.

CosmicPathos
11-26-2010, 02:43 AM
assuming I am eating 1/2 breast (86g) of fried chicken, that'd be 160kcal. 2 slices of bread 170kcal.

glo
11-26-2010, 07:21 AM
assuming I am eating 1/2 breast (86g) of fried chicken, that'd be 160kcal. 2 slices of bread 170kcal.
Remember that you can reduce the calories by removing the skin on the chicken, and by grilling it instead of frying.
The website I just checked gives 95 calories for 86g of grilled chicken with the skin removed.

Woodrow
11-26-2010, 08:18 AM
I just want to commend everyone for their efforts. Although it is not a problem I face, my first wife faced the battle for her entire life. excess weight is a health issue and not a morality problem. Weight control for many people is a very difficult trial and often the cause of much inner grief. Inside every overweight person is a healthy body crying to get out. It is a very hard battle you each face, but keep in mind it is one with great rewards. Do not try to loose weight for vanity or to please others, do for health reasons and know that a healthy body will serve you well.

May Allaah(swt) give each of you the strength to win this battle and may each of you gain better health and live long happy lives. Ameen

Muhaba
11-26-2010, 08:27 AM
^that is true. Usually it is related to personal circumstances, stress, etc. I know that when i'm happy and hopeful, i have better control over my eating. but when upset or stressed, i eat like someone who hasn't eaten in like forever. i mean, i really feel starved. it's not like i get full and then continue to eat.

i also have to continuously keep a watch over my weight. if i let go, i tend to gain weight quickly.

Hulk
11-26-2010, 09:06 PM
I had no idea that egg whites came in milk containers as well, that looks very interesting :D

Thanks for the kind words woodrow, losing weight is simple but not easy. Especially if a person is accustomed to certain eating habits and lifestyle. While health should be the main reason for losing the excess weight, i think its alright to want to lose it to look good to ourselves as well. One of the first things a person who is losing weight would experience is that his clothes fit better and people start complimenting him on how much slimmer he looks. These compliments can be used as fuel to motivate one to work harder.

I am personally on this mission as well and it is definitely not easy especially for me right now as I have been having trouble sleeping at night, which leads to "NIGHT SNACKS", also means I have no mood to go out and do my morning cardio. I'm still trying to find ways to remedy this situation so if you have any ideas I would be helpful :)

For other sisters or brothers who feel that they need to lose some weight but are reluctant to do it I can tell you that its perfectly normal. Its always scary to go out of our comfort zone. Unfortunately sometimes our comfort zone isnt good for us, you might be shy about going out for a run or something, or maybe u are too heavy to run. Thats ok, just brisk walk. Whats important is that you get your heart rate up. The feeling is GREAT, within a few weeks you will feel much more confident about yourself (like an alpha male).

What you eat is important too if u are on this mission, like sister villy has rightfully mentioned in the very first post of this thread. Its possible to eat out your exercise, meaning you burn for example 400 calories in a workout yet you gain 1000 calories in a meal. something like that. And trust me its not THAT hard, you can eat smaller portions for more times in the day. It would usually keep you full for about 3 hours then you can have another small meal. Have a cheat meal every week or so to treat yourself.

I just wish I could have a good night sleep so that I can finally put on this heart rate monitor i bought and use it for my exercise in the morning lol

جوري
11-27-2010, 01:16 AM
bar for breakfast 190 calories

homemade falafel 1/4 cup i.e 2.5 patties = 220 calories (I only actually had two) hate the taste
French fries large (169 g) 200 calories
one vita rain zero calories

English muffins with cheese and nonsense and a cheddar crispees snacks
earl gray for a total of 305

2 cookies 120 calories
total of 1,195 calories + I take vitamins/cod liver oil and the sorts

جوري
11-27-2010, 01:18 AM
sis lily, you got any links? too lazy to do my own research.

It is on the first page dude follow the links..

جوري
11-27-2010, 07:48 PM
here is the actual program I use:
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailypl...ic/roast-lamb/

CosmicPathos
12-10-2010, 08:50 AM
seems, the interest has died ... this was an amazing thread. Sadly ... I am poor in compliance .... my gym is down to 0 and junk food is at 100% as I am having crunch time and exams are coming near and I cant study without stuffing my mouth and my belly otherwise I'd get depressed by just studying in a semi-lit nook. I just hope for once I was consistent in non-academic things that I so love even during exam times ..... it deeply saddens me that ... I always sacrifice my non-academic interests as exams dawn upon me ... and now the effect will be felt more so because exams are every now and then .... and if I keep it that way, I will NEVER EVER be able to go back to the gym ... and let that crazy latissimus dorsi feel it as it begs and begs to be hypertrophied!

جوري
12-10-2010, 01:33 PM
I am not in poor compliance and neither are a few sisters who have joined we just don't report our caloric intake here :lol: -- this is a major commitment -- I understand that everyone wants to start when they're good and ready.. but it is here for anyone who wants to start and needs support with the highs and lows..

latissimus dorsi
now name the nerve that innervates the latissimus dorsi.. everyone gets it wrong (no cheating now)

CosmicPathos
12-10-2010, 07:23 PM
I am not in poor compliance and neither are a few sisters who have joined we just don't report our caloric intake here :lol: -- this is a major commitment -- I understand that everyone wants to start when they're good and ready.. but it is here for anyone who wants to start and needs support with the highs and lows..

now name the nerve that innervates the latissimus dorsi.. everyone gets it wrong (no cheating now)

some nerves from the dorsal roots, thats all I know about back muscle innervation at the moment :p

regarding compliance, how do you balance your worship, islamic knowledge time, exercise, medicine study time, clinic time, family time, internet time, chill-out time, friends time every day? It will really help me if you can give some pointers. I remember you mentioned somewhere that 4 hour sleep everyday is enough for you. That leaves you with 20 hours. Salah fard, nawafil etc would take about lets say 1.5 hours everyday? how about the rest?

I think it will really help me and other Muslims on the forums who grew up living a sedentary lifestyle as bookworms and did not allocate time to other activities (sports, blah blah) and hence such abilities are highly diminished. Right now I am even scared that how will I do lumbar punctures ... I am not a hands-on person, never did creative stuff with "my hands" in life. Let lumbar puncture alone, the thought of giving injections seem to scare the hell outta me

p.s. sorry for going "a bit" offtopic.

جوري
12-11-2010, 03:08 AM
some nerves from the dorsal roots, thats all I know about back muscle innervation at the moment regarding compliance, how do you balance your worship, islamic knowledge time, exercise, medicine study time, clinic time, family time, internet time, chill-out time, friends time every day? It will really help me if you can give some pointers. I remember you mentioned somewhere that 4 hour sleep everyday is enough for you. That leaves you with 20 hours. Salah fard, nawafil etc would take about lets say 1.5 hours everyday? how about the rest? I think it will really help me and other Muslims on the forums who grew up living a sedentary lifestyle as bookworms and did not allocate time to other activities (sports, blah blah) and hence such abilities are highly diminished. Right now I am even scared that how will I do lumbar punctures ... I am not a hands-on person, never did creative stuff with "my hands" in life. Let lumbar puncture alone, the thought of giving injections seem to scare the hell outta me p.s. sorry for going "a bit" offtopic.

it is thoracodorsal if memory serves me.. how do I do all of it? not very good I'll tell you, I can't do one thing with high fidelity, so everything gets a certain percentage of me.. so prioritize what is most important to you and if I can advise salaat and studying 100% your family, friends, internet everything else will suffer and especially your personal relationships if you are lucky enough to have any..

Woodrow
12-11-2010, 05:23 PM
I just want to encourage everybody to continue with your efforts. It can be frustrating as after a few weeks the results of any diet are not as noticeable as they were in the first week or 2. But this is because your body is adapting to a new life and like all things it will try to go back to what it has been familiar with. Just remember loosing even one ounce is better than gaining an ounce.

May Allaah(swt) be with all of you as you make this noble endeavor. Success is within your reach.

جوري
12-19-2010, 04:36 AM
how is it going all you silent weight watchers? it has been three weeks since we started this thread..

here are a few more tips:

Tips for losing weight

URL of this page: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001940.htm

To successfully lose weight, you must carry out a plan that balances the calories you eat every day with your activity and exercise. Ideally, dieting should be done by eating a nutritionally balanced, low-calorie diet and increasing physical activity.
Related topics:

Information

Although there are many programs advertised to help you lose weight, the only proven long-term and safe method is to burn more calories than you consume.
This is achieved either by reducing the caloric intake (eat less food or healthier food) or by increasing the energy expenditure (exercise more). Often, behavior modification techniques like eating smaller portions are used to help control eating habits. Once the weight is lost, these habits can be modified slightly for weight maintenance.
If you have unintentional weight loss, it can be a symptom of various medical or psychiatric disorders, or it can be due to increasing your exercise or decreasing your food intake.
HEALTHY CALORIE INTAKE
The U.S. Committee on Dietary Allowance has published recommended energy intakes (number of calories) for various age and sex groups. These numbers also depend on your activity level and medical conditions, including pregnancy.
WEIGHT LOSS TIPS
One pound of fat contains approximately 3,500 calories, so to lose one pound a week, a person should consume approximately 3,500 fewer calories per week. This can be done by reducing the daily intake by 500 calories per day (500 x 7 days will provide a deficit of 3,500 calories per week). To lose 2 pounds per week, a deficit of 1,000 calories per day is required.
If this seems impossible, remember that physical activity also contributes significantly to weight loss. The deficit of 500 to 1,000 calories can come from a combination of increased physical activity and reduced intake on a daily basis.
Therefore, you don't need to experience significant food deprivation. The lowest intake per day recommended for women is 1,200 calories, unless they are in a medically-supervised, very low-calorie regimen which may have a daily level of 500 to 800 calories per day.
The lowest level recommended for men is 1,500 calories per day. A very low-calorie diet can also be used by males if they are in a medically-supervised program.
Tips for preventing weight gain:

• Avoid foods that are high in fat and sugar.
  • Reduce how much alcohol you drink.
  • Avoid stress, frustration, and boredom.
  • If you are depressed, seek medical treatment.

Avoid a sedentary lifestyle by increasing your activity level:

• Perform aerobic exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, 3 times a week .
  • Increase physical activity by walking rather than driving.
  • Climb stairs rather than using an elevator or escalator.
  • Always talk to your health care provider before starting an exercise program.

See also: Balanced diet
FAD DIETS
A fad diet is one that makes unrealistic promises. Most fad diets are very low in carbohydrates and in calories, causing fluid loss from the body, which indicates a loss of weight on the scale. Once the body gets rehydrated with water, the weight will come right back.
Evaluation of a fad diet:

• Is the diet medically and nutritionally safe? Get an opinion from a physician and a registered dietitian.
  • Red flags for fad diets include: overemphasis on a specific food group or groups, limited food choices, and a "calories do not count" approach.

These are ways to decide whether to use a diet or not. If there is no nutritionally or medically reliable information provided, and if there are no statistics to back the claims, then it is not a good diet to consider. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
SUMMARY
For weight loss to be successful, here is a summary of basic guidelines:

• Aerobic physical activity will assist in increasing muscle tissue which will burn more calories. You should plan on 20-minute sessions at least 3 times per week.
  • Gradual changes in eating habits will help encourage a permanent lifestyle change.
  • A slow weight loss of 1 or 2 pounds a week, until the desirable body weight is reached, is best.

RESOURCES
A registered dietitian is an excellent resource for individualized weight loss. Dietitians can provide information on classes and programs available in the community.
By far, the most well-known community-based support group is Weight Watchers. Members meet every week and learn about healthy eating while encouraging each other in their weight loss goals.
Consumer brochures can be obtained from the Federal Trade Commission on evaluation of commercial weight loss programs.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001940.htm

Muhaba
12-21-2010, 06:47 AM
well i thin i may have lost a few kilograms but right now my scale isn't working!!! i'm still watching what i eat well (so long as i don't cook rice or pasta but even then i do try) & alhamdulillah i currently have a terrifc control on my eating and it has to do with fasting. I'm trying to fast at least two days a week (Monday & Thursday) and i see that fasting gives you great control over your eating. so all you weight watchers, if you want to seriously control yyour eating, then fast once or twice a week.

جوري
12-21-2010, 01:12 PM
^^ very true alternating fast is an excellent way to establish ones goals. I have an article on that I'll try to dig it later..

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Assalaamu`Alaaykum

wow awesome thread masha`Allaah, just discovered it :-\

I like exercise it is awesome : D, how many calories is it recommended to burn in a day? ( if that makes any sense )

جوري
12-21-2010, 02:23 PM
it depends on your caloric intake and your weight gain/loss goals..

جوري
12-21-2010, 05:50 PM
here we go although I don't know how many people are interested in reading this:

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 86, No. 1, 7-13, July 2007
© 2007 American Society for Nutrition

REVIEW ARTICLE

Alternate-day fasting and chronic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trials1,2,3

Krista A Varady and Marc K Hellerstein
1 From the Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
2 Supported by the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada.
3 Reprints not available. Address correspondence to KA Varady, Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley, Morgan Hall, Room 308, Berkeley, CA 94720-3104. E-mail: kvarady@nature.berkeley.edu.

ABSTRACT

Calorie restriction (CR) and alternate-day fasting (ADF) represent 2 different forms of dietary restriction. Although the effects of CR on chronic disease prevention were reviewed previously, the effects of ADF on chronic disease risk have yet to be summarized. Accordingly, we review here animal and human evidence concerning ADF and the risk of certain chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. We also compare the magnitude of risk reduction resulting from ADF with that resulting from CR. In terms of diabetes risk, animal studies of ADF find lower diabetes incidence and lower fasting glucose and insulin concentrations, effects that are comparable to those of CR. Human trials to date have reported greater insulin-mediated glucose uptake but no effect on fasting glucose or insulin concentrations. In terms of cardiovascular disease risk, animal ADF data show lower total cholesterol and triacylglycerol concentrations, a lower heart rate, improved cardiac response to myocardial infarction, and lower blood pressure. The limited human evidence suggests higher HDL-cholesterol concentrations and lower triacylglycerol concentrations but no effect on blood pressure. In terms of cancer risk, there is no human evidence to date, yet animal studies found decreases in lymphoma incidence, longer survival after tumor inoculation, and lower rates of proliferation of several cell types. The findings in animals suggest that ADF may effectively modulate several risk factors, thereby preventing chronic disease, and that ADF may modulate disease risk to an extent similar to that of CR. More research is required to establish definitively the consequences of ADF.

Key Words: Alternate-day fasting • calorie restriction • type 2 diabetes • cardiovascular disease • cancer • animal models • humans

INTRODUCTION

Calorie restriction (CR), defined as a reduction in energy intake without malnutrition, has been shown to increase life span, improve numerous functional indexes, and reduce metabolic risk factors for chronic disease in several mammalian species (1, 2). CR regimens have consisted of reducing food intake to 60–85% of daily energy needs. As an alternative to traditional CR, another dietary regimen, termed alternate-day fasting (ADF), has also been tested. ADF regimens generally involve a "feast day" on which food is consumed ad libitum that alternates with a "fast day" on which food is withheld or reduced. The feast and fast periods are typically 24 h each, but they may vary. A key point about the ADF approach is that overall calorie intake need not be limited; instead, the frequency of food consumption is altered (3).
The purpose of this review is to summarize the relatively sparse but highly suggestive literature on ADF regimens. Although the effects of CR on chronic disease prevention were discussed in reviews conducted in the past few years (4-6), the ability of ADF to alter chronic disease risk has not yet been summarized. In particular, the key question—whether ADF has effects on risk modulation comparable to those of CR—remains uncertain. Accordingly, our objective was to review the evidence from both animal and human trials concerning ADF and the risk of chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular disease (CVD), and cancer. In addition, when possible, the magnitude of risk reduction due to ADF will be compared with that due to CR.

BENEFITS OF CALORIE RESTRICTION REGIMENS

A large body of evidence for the physiologic benefits and life-extending properties of CR now exists. Restricting daily energy intake by 15–40% has been shown in both animals and humans to improve glucose tolerance and insulin action, which indicates an enhancement in insulin sensitivity (7, 8); to reduce blood pressure and the heart rate, which is consistent with benefits for cardiovascular health (9-11); and to reduce oxidative damage to lipids, protein, and DNA, which implies a protective effect against oxidative stress (12-15). Many other effects of CR have been documented, including increased average and maximal life span (12), reduced incidence of spontaneous and induced cancers (13), resistance of neurons to degeneration (14), lower rates of kidney disease (15), and prolongation of reproductive function (16).
Although the precise mechanisms responsible for such effects are still not clear, several general hypotheses have been proposed—most prominent are the stress resistance hypothesis, the oxidative stress hypothesis, and the induction of a scarcity program hypothesis (3, 17-19). The first hypothesis suggests that, after prolonged dietary restriction, increased resistance to different types of stressors occurs, which permits the cells of many tissues to resist injury induced by genotoxic, metabolic, or oxidative insults (20-22). The second hypothesis proposes more specifically that fewer free radicals are produced in the mitochondria of cells, because dietary restriction generally limits energy utilization, which results in less cellular oxidative damage (3). The third hypothesis proposes that CR induces intrinsic cellular and organismal programs for adaptation to scarcity, which result in the slowing of metabolic processes such as cell proliferation that contribute to senescence; this hypothesis has been strengthened by findings in yeast (19). The effects of ADF on these proposed mechanisms have not been explored as extensively as have the effects of CR, but some evidence has been generated, and that will be reviewed here.

EFFECT OF ALTERNATE-DAY FASTING ON TYPE 2 DIABETES RISK

Animal studies
To date, 12 studies using animal models have examined the effect of ADF on chronic disease risk (23-34; Table 1). Approximately half of these studies examined variables related to diabetes, such as fasting glucose and insulin concentrations, fat oxidation, degree of insulitis, and occurrence of type 2 diabetes. Fasting glucose concentrations have generally been reported to decrease in response to ADF in animal models. Three studies found reduced circulating glucose concentrations after a 20–24-wk intervention (27, 30), whereas one study reported no effect on glucose concentrations after a 16-wk treatment (24). In the trials that measured insulin concentrations, consistent reductions were noted after ADF regimens that lasted 20 (27) and 24 (28) wk. It is interesting that, in the study of Anson et al (27), both glucose and insulin concentrations decreased to a similar extent in the ADF and the 40% CR groups. Increases in fat oxidation in liver and muscle have also been observed after relatively short periods (8 wk) of ADF (33).

View this table:
In this window
In a new window

TABLE 1 Animal trials examining the effect of alternate-day fasting (ADF) on chronic disease risk factors1

Because impaired fat oxidation may contribute to ectopic accumulation of intracellular lipid and the development of insulin resistance (35), these increases in fat oxidation may increase insulin sensitivity. Also noted by Anson et al was a doubling of the plasma concentrations of ß-hydroxybutyrate in the ADF group but no change in the control group. In contrast, concentrations of this metabolite decreased in the 40% CR group but not in the control group (27). These results suggest that high rates of fatty acid oxidation leading to ketogenesis occurred with ADF but not with 40% CR. Moreover, reduced occurrence of insulin-dependent diabetes in response to ADF has been reported by Pedersen et al (30). These authors found that 77% of the BB rats fed ad libitum control diets developed diabetes, whereas only 52% of the animals fasted for 24 h on alternate days became diabetic. The degree of insulitis, however, was not affected, which suggested that the mechanism most likely did not involve modulation of this inflammatory variable (30).
Human trials
Risk factors for type 2 diabetes were measured in each of the 3 published human studies of ADF (36-38; Table 2). Evidence from these trials suggests that ADF does not alter fasting concentrations of glucose but may beneficially modulate other indexes of diabetes risk, such as insulin sensitivity. Specifically, Halberg et al (38) observed that, when normal-weight persons fasted for 20-h periods (fast day) and then ate their habitual diet ad libitum on alternate days (feast day), the insulin-mediated glucose uptake increased after 2 wk of intervention, as measured by using the euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamp technique. These results are supported by a study conducted by Heilbronn et al (36), which found that, after 3 wk of ADF, insulin response to a test meal was reduced, which implied improved insulin sensitivity. It is interesting that this effect on insulin sensitivity occurred only in male subjects (36).

View this table:
In this window
In a new window

TABLE 2 Human trials examining the effect of alternate-day fasting (ADF) on chronic disease risk factors1

Another diabetes risk factor that has shown a sex-specific effect is glucose tolerance. After 3 wk of ADF, women but not men had an increase in the area under the glucose curve (36). This unfavorable effect on glucose tolerance in women, accompanied by an apparent lack of an effect on insulin sensitivity, suggests that short-term ADF may be more beneficial in men than in women in reducing type 2 diabetes risk. However, because minimal data and no longer-term studies are available to support this important hypothesis, more studies are needed. The effect of ADF regimens on insulin concentrations appears equivocal (37, 38). Specifically, Halberg et al (38) found that 2 wk of ADF had no effect on fasting insulin concentrations, whereas Heilbronn et al (37) found that 3 wk of this intervention decreased insulin concentrations, but only after a 32-h fast. Further research examining the time course of ADF effects on such diabetes-related variables could help clarify this matter. Also examined was the responsiveness of skeletal muscle and adipose tissue to ADF (38). A 2-wk ADF regimen had no effect on intramuscular triacylglycerol (IMTG) concentrations in normal-weight men (38). In adipose tissue, an inhibitory effect of insulin on adipose tissue lipolysis was observed after 2 wk of intervention (38). Because increased concentrations of free fatty acids have been implicated in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes (39), this decrease in lipolysis and circulating concentrations of free fatty acids may represent an indirect protective effect of ADF on diabetes risk.

EFFECT OF ALTERNATE-DAY FASTING ON CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE RISK

Animal studies
As a means of assessing cardiovascular response to ADF, trials in this area have examined heart rate, blood pressure, circulating lipids, and ischemic injury. In a recent study by Mager et al (24), reductions in heart rate were observed in Sprague-Dawley rats after 16 wk of ADF. Similar effects on heart rate were also found by Wan et al (28) after 24 wk of ADF. In both of these trials, treatment-induced decreases in systolic and diastolic blood pressure were noted after 4 wk, and the lower blood pressures persisted throughout the course of the studies. Moreover, the magnitude of the effect on heart rate and blood pressure was similar in the ADF group and a 40% CR group, which suggests that ADF may be as beneficial as CR in modulating these variables (24).
In addition, Krizova and Simek (32) observed decreases in circulating lipid concentrations, and, after 8 wk of ADF, both total cholesterol and triacylglycerol concentrations decreased in adult mice. Moreover, the cardiac myocyte response to myocardial infarction (MI) induction has been studied by Ahmet et al (25). MI was induced by coronary artery ligation after 12 wk of ADF or control ad libitum diet in Sprague-Dawley rats. At 24 h after MI induction, the number of apoptotic myocytes in the affected area was one-fourth that in the ad libitum–fed controls, and the size of the MI in the ADF goup was half that in the ad libitum–fed controls. Also noted was a distinct reduction in neutrophil infiltration, which suggested a decrease in inflammatory response (25).
Human trials
Heilbron et al (37) examined the effect of ADF on CVD risk. When human subjects fasted on alternate days for a short period (3 wk), circulating concentrations of HDL cholesterol increased, whereas triacylglycerol concentrations decreased (37). It ispossible that these effects resulted from the decreases in body weight (2.5%) and fat mass (4.0%) observed in these subjects, who were unable to consume sufficient calories on the feast day to maintain an isocaloric state (37). It is interesting that the shifts in lipid concentrations were shown to be sex specific: ie, only the women had an increase in HDL-cholesterol concentrations, and only the men had a decrease in triacylglycerol concentrations (37). There is no clear explanation for these sex-based differences. The effect of ADF on blood pressure was also examined in this study. After 3 wk of intervention, neither systolic nor diastolic blood pressured changed in either the male or female subjects (37). This study included only normotensive persons, however. It will be of interest in future studies to examine the effect of this dietary regimen on blood pressure in other patient groups, such as those who are hypertensive, overweight, obese, and hyperlipidemic.

EFFECT OF ALTERNATE-DAY FASTING ON CANCER RISK: ANIMAL TRIALS

The protective effect of ADF on cancer survival was first described by Seigel et al (34). In this study, 3–4-mo-old rats were administered an ADF regimen beginning 1 wk before inoculation with MAT 13762 acsites tumor cells (34). Twelve of the 24 rats (50%) in the diet-restricted group survived 10 d after tumor inoculation, in comparison with only 3 of 24 animals (12.5%) in the control group, which had been fed ad libitum (34). The response to ADF of certain biomarkers of cancer risk, ie, insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), has also been investigated (27, 28), but the results have been inconsistent. Whereas Anson et al (27) reported increases in IGF-1 in response to 20 wk of ADF, Wan et al (28) reported a clear decrease after 24 wk of treatment. IGF-1 is a potent promoter of cell proliferation and has been shown to decrease in response to CR (40). The animals in the study of Anson et al (27) did not lose any weight, whereas animals in the study of Wan et al (28) did lose weight; the lack of overall net negative energy balance may explain the different IGF-1 responses in those studies.
More recently, the protective effect of the ADF restriction protocol on age-associated lymphoma and hepatocarcinogenesis was examined in mice (26). After 16 wk, the incidence of lymphoma in OF1 mice administered an ADF regimen was 0% and that in the control group was 33%. Because the ADF group mice consumed roughly the same total amount of food as the control mice, the efficacy of ADF was independent of total calorie intake (26). Also noted in that study was a significant, treatment-induced increase in spleen mitochondrial superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity, which was associated with reduced mitochondrial generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS). The effect of ADF on hepatocarcinogenesis has also been examined (29) after 4 wk of ad libitum feeding. In that study, Wistar rats were injected with diethylnitrosamine to initiate liver carcinogenesis and then fed on alternate days for 48 wk. When compared with ad libitum feeding, ADF inhibited the development of preneoplastic lesions and also decreased the number and size of liver nodules (29). These findings strongly support the hypothesis that long-term ADF may exert an antipromotional effect on experimental carcinogenesis, as has been shown in many studies of CR. Moreover, strong physiologic evidence in favor of the antipromotional effects of ADF was recently reported by Hsieh et al (23). After 12 wk of treatment, reduced rates of proliferation of several cell types, including mammary epithelial cells, skin epithelial cells (keratinocytes), and splenic T-cells, was observed (23). These changes induced by ADF were similar to, though not quite as potent as, those seen in the CR groups.
ADF regimens have also been shown to increase mean and maximal life span in certain strains of mice (31). When ADF regimens were initiated in C57BL/6J mice at ages 2, 6, and 10 mo, body weight decreased and maximal life span was extended (31). It is interesting that, when the same ADF protocol was administered to A/J mice, body weight was not affected, and life span was increased only in the group that began ADF at age 2 mo (31). These findings suggest that ADF-induced changes in body weight and maximal life span may be strongly influenced by genotype and the age at which ADF is initiated.

EFFECT OF ALTERNATE-DAY FASTING ON OTHER METABOLIC VARIABLES: HUMAN TRIALS

The effect of short-term ADF regimens on other metabolic variables, such as body temperature, resting metabolic rate (RMR), and various hormone and cytokine concentrations, has also been examined in human subjects (36, 37). In the study by Heilbronn et al (37), neither body temperature nor RMR was affected by 3 wk of treatment. On the other hand, overall fat oxidation was shown to increase by an average of 15 g/d over the course of the trial, according to indirect calorimetry. The authors also observed a positive correlation between fat oxidation and weight loss, which suggested that those subjects with a greater ability to oxidize fat may have lost more weight (37). Thus, whether the weight loss noted is a result of ADF may depend on a person's ability to oxidize fat. Heilbronn et al (36) also examined treatment-induced changes in the expression of certain skeletal muscle genes involved in fat oxidation, including ß-hydroxyacyl CoA dehydrogenase, fatty acid translocase, pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase 4, carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1, and uncoupling protein 3, as well as the expression of genes implicated in mitochondrial biogenesis, including peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator 1, nuclear respiratory factor 1, and cytochrome C. They reported that a 3-wk treatment had no effect on the expression of any of these genes. The response of circulating concentrations of certain adipokines—ie, adiponectin, leptin, interleukin 6 (IL-6), and tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α)—has also been examined (38). Concentrations of leptin, IL-6, and TNF-α did not change in response to ADF; in contrast, concentrations of adiponectin increased by 37% (38). Cnop et al (41) and Higashiura et al (42) both reported that circulating concentrations of adiponectin are positively correlated with insulin sensitivity, which suggests a possible role of this adipokine in the insulin-sensitizing effect noted in the present trial (38).

SUMMARY OF FINDINGS: ALTERNATE-DAY FASTING IN HUMAN AND ANIMAL TRIALS

Some discrepancies between human and animal ADF data are evident. With regard to the effect of ADF on the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus, the results to date from human trials have been inconsistent, whereas the animal evidence suggests favorable alterations. Fasting glucose concentrations in rodents, for example, consistently were lower after 20 wk of treatment (27, 28, 30), whereas, in humans, no effect was seen after 2–3 wk of ADF (37, 38). It may be that longer intervention periods are required to alter glucose concentrations in human subjects. In the case of fasting insulin concentrations, equivocal findings were noted in humans (37, 38), whereas consistent decreases have been seen in animals (27, 28). Moreover, animal data indicate that ADF is just as efficacious in decreasing fasting glucose and insulin concentrations as is daily CR (27). Although neither glucose nor insulin concentrations were affected in the brief human trials carried out to date, it is interesting that findings such as increased insulin-mediated glucose uptake and reduced adipose tissue lipolysis have been reported (38). In animal models, fatty acid oxidation in liver and muscle is increased with ADF (33); this may indicate that ectopic accumulation of intracellular lipid could be decreased, which in turn may lead to improved insulin sensitivity (43). Nevertheless, it should be noted that, in obese human subjects, CR does not affect intramyocellular lipid content but does result in decreased lipid accumulation in liver (44). Complementary to this evidence, the incidence of type 2 diabetes risk was lower in rodents fed on alternate days than in ad libitum–fed controls (30). In sum, the favorable effects noted in animal studies suggest that prolonged ADF is a beneficial means of lowering type 2 diabetes risk. Results from human studies, however, are less clear. It seems reasonable to expect that ADF will improve insulin sensitivity in humans, but the conflicting findings make it difficult to be certain about this. Longer intervention trials (ie, ≥20 wk) in human subjects may help to clarify this issue.
Although overall beneficial modulations in risk factors for vascular disease have been found, with respect to blood pressure, the evidence from animal studies has shown a consistent decrease in both systolic and diastolic readings (24, 28), whereas data from human trials have shown no effect on either variable (37). One possible explanation for this inconsistency may be the differences in the duration of intervention. Because an effect on blood pressure readings was identified only after a 4-wk treatment in animals (24, 28), treatment for 3 wk in the human study may not have been long enough. Alternatively, weight loss, ie, negative energy balance, may be required for a blood pressure effect in humans. In the case of circulating lipid concentrations, beneficial modulations have been noted in both human and animal studies (32, 37). Specifically, human data show treatment-induced increases in HDL-cholesterol concentrations and reductions in triacylglycerol concentrations (37), and results in rodents show decreases in total cholesterol and triacylglycerol concentrations (32). Also shown, although only in rodent models, were improvements in cardiac response to MI induction (25) and decreases in heart rate (24, 28). In addition, the decreases in heart rate and blood pressure induced by ADF were similar to those induced by CR (24). Taken together, these improvements suggest that ADF may help reduce the risk of CVD.
To date, the direct effect of ADF on cancer has been tested only in animal models. Most of those trials suggest a pronounced beneficial effect on cancer risk factors, including substantial decreases in lymphoma incidence (26), increases in spleen SOD activity accompanied by reductions in ROS generation (26), inhibition of hepatic preneoplastic lesion development (29), and a greater survival rate after tumor inoculation (34). The physiologic evidence of clear reductions in proliferation rates of several cell types—including mammary epithelial cells, keratinocytes, and splenic T-cells—induced by ADF regimens also supports the antipromotional actions of this intervention (23). The antiproliferative mechanism remains unknown, however, because the effects of ADF on IGF-1 concentrations have been inconsistent (27, 28). Nevertheless, most of these studies have reported a protective effect, so it is reasonable to propose that ADF will prove to be an effective means of decreasing cancer risk. Studies in human subjects are still required to answer this important question.
An interesting but unresolved issue is the effect of ADF on body weight. Body weight has been shown to be highly variable in response to ADF in both human and animal models. In some animal models, when ADF regimens have been applied in the short term, no effect on body weight has been noted after 2 wk (34), whereas gains in weight were noted in other trials after 8 wk (32, 33). It is possible that the animals in the 8-wk trial may have overcompensated for the lack of food on the fast day by eating more than twice their average daily intake on the feast day. In other studies, when ADF regimens were administered for 12 wk, body weight was found to decrease (23, 25), but, when ADF regimens were administered for 16 wk, no effect on body weight was observed (24, 26). Trials examining the effects of long-term (>20 wk) ADF in animals (28-31) have fairly consistently found decreases in body, although the study by Anson et al (27) did not. Such findings suggest that the animals were unable to consume twice their daily food intake on the feast day for longer periods, which resulted in a loss of body weight. There clearly is variability in the capacity of animals, even within the same strain of mouse, to compensate for a fast day on the feast day (27). A variety of factors, such as housing conditions, palatability, or energy density of diet, and genetics can be hypothesized as influencing compensation. Understanding the factors controlling compensation is an important area for future research.
The effect of ADF on body weight in humans is difficult to infer because of the very short trial durations and the small number of studies published to date. As was seen in animal trials, 2 wk of ADF had no effect on body weight in normal-weight human subjects (38). Nevertheless, when the intervention period in humans was extended to 3 wk, a decrease in body weight (≈2.5 kg) was noted (36, 37). This decrease in body weight may have resulted from an inability to consume an adequate amount of food on the feast day to sustain body weight. Similar findings were noted in animals, but only after much longer trial durations (>20 wk). An important study design issue is whether weight loss should be prevented in human ADF studies by "forced" maintenance of calorie intake. Forcing maintenance of intake may produce harmful effects over the long term, so this approach cannot currently be recommended. It is also possible that weight loss in humans following an ADF regimen will prove to be minor or transient. In contrast, striving for full compensation of calorie intake (ie, no weight loss) in studies lasting only weeks or a few months is unlikely to have significant adverse health consequences. The absence of weight loss would allow useful comparisons and distinctions between ADF and CR. These issues will require consideration by investigators who conduct future human trials with ADF.

CONCLUSIONS

Findings to date from both human and animal experiments indicate that ADF may effectively decrease the risk of CVD, whereas results from animal studies suggest a protective effect on cancer risk. In terms of diabetes prevention, animal data suggest a beneficial effect, but human data have been equivocal. However, it is important to note that the human studies examined in this review are limited; they all lacked control groups and used short trial lengths. Future studies with longer trials and including control groups are needed to answer these important questions. The effect of ADF regimens in insulin-resistant or diabetic populations also should be determined, because they could help to clarify the role of ADF as a treatment for preexisting diabetes rather than as a protection against diabetes.
Moreover, human ADF trials in modestly overweight persons, who are at greater risk of chronic disease, are warranted. In this context, it is important to note that the control animals in both the CR and ADF studies are likely to have been obese, because they were fed ad libitum.
ADF regimens also may be as efficacious as daily CR in improving certain indexes of risk of type 2 diabetes and CVD, although the number of studies directly comparing the 2 regimens is small. Further analysis of the mechanisms responsible for beneficial effects of ADF is clearly warranted, particularly if these effects occur in the absence of negative energy balance. Novel mediators and therapeutic strategies may thereby be uncovered. Finally, it seems intuitively likely that persons will find it easier to fast or reduce intake on alternate days than to reduce their intake every day. For this reason, ADF regimens may allow better compliance than would CR regimens and may represent an attractive area for investigation.
It will also be important to understand whether the mechanisms by which ADF protects against chronic disease risk are similar to those of CR. Indirect evidence suggests that the 2 regimens may share mechanisms. For instance, the study of Descamps et al (26) reported increases in spleen mitochondrial SOD activity accompanied by decreases in mitochondrial generation of ROS as a result of ADF. Such findings suggest that ADF may act by increasing resistance to oxidative insult, which is a key feature of the stress resistance hypothesis.
In summary, this still nascent literature suggests that ADF may effectively modulate metabolic and functional risk factors, thereby preventing or delaying the future occurrence of common chronic diseases, at least in animal models. The effect of ADF on chronic disease risk in normal-weight human subjects remains unclear, however, as do the mechanisms of action. Much work remains to be done to understand this dietary strategy fully.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

The authors' responsibilities were as follows—KAV: collected, analyzed, and interpreted the data and wrote the manuscript; MKH: contributed to the analysis and interpretation of the data. Neither of the authors had a personal or financial conflict of interest.

REFERENCES

1. 1. Weindruch R, Sohal RS. Seminars in medicine of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Caloric intake and aging. N Engl J Med 1997;337:986–94.

• 2. Mattison JA, Lane MA, Roth GS, Ingram DK. Calorie restriction in rhesus monkeys. Exp Gerontol 2003;38:35–46.[Medline]

• 3. Mattson MP, Wan R. Beneficial effects of intermittent fasting and caloric restriction on the cardiovascular and cerebrovascular systems. J Nutr Biochem 2005;16:129–37.[Medline]

• 4. Heilbronn LK, Ravussin E. Calorie restriction and aging: review of the literature and implications for studies in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 2003;78:361–9.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 5. Kritchevsky D. Caloric restriction and cancer. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 2001;47:13–9.[Medline]

• 6. Manco M, Mingrone G. Effects of weight loss and calorie restriction on carbohydrate metabolism. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2005;8:431–9.[Medline]

• 7. Weiss EP, Racette SB, Villareal DT, et al. Improvements in glucose tolerance and insulin action induced by increasing energy expenditure or decreasing energy intake: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:1033–42.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 8. Park SY, Choi GH, Choi HI, Ryu J, Jung CY, Lee W. Calorie restriction improves whole-body glucose disposal and insulin resistance in association with the increased adipocyte-specific GLUT4 expression in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima fatty rats. Arch Biochem Biophys 2005;436:276–84.[Medline]

• 9. Minamiyama Y, Bito Y, Takemura S, et al. Calorie restriction improves cardiovascular risk factors via reduction of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species in type II diabetic rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2007;320:535–42 (Epub 2006 Oct 26).[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 10. Nakano Y, Oshima T, Sasaki S, et al. Calorie restriction reduced blood pressure in obesity hypertensives by improvement of autonomic nerve activity and insulin sensitivity. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2001;38(suppl):S69–74.[Medline]

• 11. Fontana L, Meyer TE, Klein S, Holloszy JO. Long-term calorie restriction is highly effective in reducing the risk for atherosclerosis in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2004;101:6659–63.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 12. Lin SJ, Kaeberlein M, Andalis AA, et al. Calorie restriction extends Saccharomyces cerevisiae lifespan by increasing respiration. Nature 2002;418:344–8.[Medline]

• 13. Zhu Z, Jiang W, Thompson HJ. Effect of energy restriction on tissue size regulation during chemically induced mammary carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis 1999;20:1721–6.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 14. Qin W, Yang T, Ho L, et al. Neuronal SIRT1 activation as a novel mechanism underlying the prevention of Alzheimer disease amyloid neuropathology by calorie restriction. J Biol Chem 2006;281:21745–54.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 15. Wiggins JE, Goyal M, Sanden SK, et al. Podocyte hypertrophy, "adaptation," and "decompensation" associated with glomerular enlargement and glomerulosclerosis in the aging rat: prevention by calorie restriction. J Am Soc Nephrol 2005;16:2953–66.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 16. Yaghmaie F, Saeed O, Garan SA, Freitag W, Timiras PS, Sternberg H. Caloric restriction reduces cell loss and maintains estrogen receptor-alpha immunoreactivity in the pre-optic hypothalamus of female B6D2F1 mice. Neurol Endocrinol Lett 2005;26:197–203.

• 17. Mattson MP, Chan SL, Duan W. Modification of brain aging and neurodegenerative disorders by genes, diet, and behavior. Physiol Rev 2002;82:637–72.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 18. Sohal RS, Weindruch R. Oxidative stress, caloric restriction, and aging. Science 1996;273:59–63.[Abstract]

• 19. Reverter-Branchat G, Cabiscol E, Tamarit J, Ros J. Oxidative damage to specific proteins in replicative and chronological-aged Saccharomyces cerevisiae: common targets and prevention by calorie restriction. J Biol Chem 2004;279:31983–9.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 20. Holzenberger M, Dupont J, Ducos B, et al. IGF-1 receptor regulates lifespan and resistance to oxidative stress in mice. Nature 2003;421:182–7.[Medline]

• 21. Johnson TE, de Castro E, Hegi de Castro S, Cypser J, Henderson S, Tedesco P. Relationship between increased longevity and stress resistance as assessed through gerontogene mutations in Caenorhabditis elegans. Exp Gerontol 2001;36:1609–17.[Medline]

• 22. Merry BJ. Oxidative stress and mitochondrial function with aging—the effects of calorie restriction. Aging Cell 2004;3:7–12.[Medline]

• 23. Hsieh EA, Chai CM, Hellerstein MK. Effects of caloric restriction on cell proliferation in several tissues in mice: role of intermittent feeding. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2005;288:E965–72.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 24. Mager DE, Wan R, Brown M, et al. Caloric restriction and intermittent fasting alter spectral measures of heart rate and blood pressure variability in rats. FASEB J 2006;20:631–7.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 25. Ahmet I, Wan R, Mattson MP, Lakatta EG, Talan M. Cardioprotection by intermittent fasting in rats. Circulation 2005;112:3115–21.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 26. Descamps O, Riondel J, Ducros V, Roussel AM. Mitochondrial production of reactive oxygen species and incidence of age-associated lymphoma in OF1 mice: effect of alternate-day fasting. Mech Ageing Dev 2005;126:1185–91.[Medline]

• 27. Anson RM, Guo Z, de Cabo R, et al. Intermittent fasting dissociates beneficial effects of dietary restriction on glucose metabolism and neuronal resistance to injury from calorie intake. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003;100:6216–20.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 28. Wan R, Camandola S, Mattson MP. Intermittent fasting and dietary supplementation with 2-deoxy-D-glucose improve functional and metabolic cardiovascular risk factors in rats. FASEB J 2003;17:1133–4.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 29. Rocha NS, Barbisan LF, de Oliveira ML, de Camargo JL. Effects of fasting and intermittent fasting on rat hepatocarcinogenesis induced by diethylnitrosamine. Teratog Carcinog Mutagen 2002;22:129–38.[Medline]

• 30. Pedersen CR, Hagemann I, Bock T, Buschard K. Intermittent feeding and fasting reduces diabetes incidence in BB rats. Autoimmunity 1999;30:243–50.[Medline]

• 31. Goodrick CL, Ingram DK, Reynolds MA, Freeman JR, Cider N. Effects of intermittent feeding upon body weight and lifespan in inbred mice: interaction of genotype and age. Mech Ageing Dev 1990;55:69–87.[Medline]

• 32. Krizova E, Simek V. Influence of intermittent fasting and high-fat diet on morphological changes of the digestive system and on changes of lipid metabolism in the laboratory mouse. Physiol Res 1996;45:145–51.[Medline]

• 33. Krizova E, Simek V. Effect of intermittent feeding with high-fat diet on changes of glycogen, protein and fat content in liver and skeletal muscle in the laboratory mouse. Physiol Res 1996;45:379–83.[Medline]

• 34. Siegel I, Liu TL, Nepomuceno N, Gleicher N. Effects of short-term dietary restriction on survival of mammary ascites tumor-bearing rats. Cancer Invest 1988;6:677–80.[Medline]

• 35. Heilbronn L, Smith SR, Ravussin E. Failure of fat cell proliferation, mitochondrial function and fat oxidation results in ectopic fat storage, insulin resistance and type II diabetes mellitus. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2004;28(suppl):S12–21.

• 36. Heilbronn LK, Civitarese AE, Bogacka I, Smith SR, Hulver M, Ravussin E. Glucose tolerance and skeletal muscle gene expression in response to alternate day fasting. Obes Res 2005;13:574–81.[Medline]

• 37. Heilbronn LK, Smith SR, Martin CK, Anton SD, Ravussin E. Alternate-day fasting in nonobese subjects: effects on body weight, body composition, and energy metabolism. Am J Clin Nutr 2005;81:69–73.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 38. Halberg N, Henriksen M, Soderhamn N, et al. Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men. J Appl Physiol 2005;99:2128–36.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 39. Boden G. Fatty acid-induced inflammation and insulin resistance in skeletal muscle and liver. Curr Diab Rep 2006;6:177–81.[Medline]

• 40. Kari FW, Dunn SE, French JE, Barrett JC. Roles for insulin-like growth factor-1 in mediating the anti-carcinogenic effects of caloric restriction. J Nutr Health Aging 1999;3:92–101.[Medline]

• 41. Cnop M, Havel PJ, Utzschneider KM, et al. Relationship of adiponectin to body fat distribution, insulin sensitivity and plasma lipoproteins: evidence for independent roles of age and sex. Diabetologia 2003;46:459–69.[Medline]

• 42. Higashiura K, Ura N, Ohata J, et al. Correlations of adiponectin level with insulin resistance and atherosclerosis in Japanese male populations. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2004;61:753–9.[Medline]

• 43. Heilbronn LK, de Jonge L, Frisard MI, et al. Effect of 6-month calorie restriction on biomarkers of longevity, metabolic adaptation, and oxidative stress in overweight individuals: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2006;295:1539–48.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

• 44. Larson-Meyer DE, Heilbronn LK, Redman LM, et al. Effect of calorie restriction with or without exercise on insulin sensitivity, beta-cell function, fat cell size, and ectopic lipid in overweight subjects. Diabetes Care 2006;29:1337–44.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

Received for publication October 9, 2006. Accepted for publication January 15, 2007.

Articles citing this article

SafaAuditore
12-21-2010, 06:28 PM
My parent's hid the scale from me. I think i might die =((((( ...!!!

Did u know that your brain doesn't tell you that you're full until you've eaten twice as much as you need? That's why it's better to eat super slowly. So like if you normally have a giant bowl of cereal in the morning and you feel full by the time you're done - you've eaten too much. Split everything that you eat in half, and eat it slowly. Drink water ALOT and drink it with meals so it can keep you full. When i get hungry i load my stomach with water and it keeps me full.

When i look in the mirror im quickly motivated to work out and stop eating.

Muhaba
12-23-2010, 09:36 AM
^^ Subhann Allah! I heard a hadith that states that the best manner of fasting is to fast on alternate days and that was the way Prophet Dawood (AS) used to fast. and the Prophet (SAW) told a sahabi (who said he could fast more than that) that more than that isn't better! (not exact words of hadith).

Musalman
01-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Any exercise tips guys?

جوري
01-08-2011, 04:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musalman
Any exercise tips guys?

walking briskly everyday is simple and effective.. if you want Muscle tone I recommend the resistance bars shared in the previous posts.. btw how is everyone's progress? Have you managed to lose at least 7pds?

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Does working at gym help gain weight. Because good intake of food is next to impossible for me, I want other means to gain weight. :-\

جوري
01-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Does working at gym help gain weight. Because good intake of food is next to impossible for me, I want other means to gain weight.

Get married.. I have seen many a fit members of my family pack on the pds once they got married, now they wish they'd their svelte body back!

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Get married.. I have seen many a fit members of my family pack on the pds once they got married, now they wish they'd their svelte body back!
:embarrass To get married I need to gain weight first. who's gonna plan to live with a skinny fellow?:p

جوري
01-08-2011, 05:19 PM
To get married I need to gain weight first. who's gonna plan to live with a skinny fellow?
women who need alot of work done around the house, that requires a speedy skinny guy.. believe me you'll have no problems..

Muhaba
01-10-2011, 12:33 PM
i've seen that doing situps helps lower appetite. so doing even just 12 situps three times a day helps.

glo
01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I must admit that I have overindulged a little over Christmas.

So I am trying to get back on track with keeping an eye on what I am eating and with exercising regularly.

I find that as long as I don't snack on really 'evil' food, such as cakes and biscuits

(how do so many calories fit into a small chocolate muffin??!), I'm okay and don't have to restrict myself too much.

For exercise I love walking

and - when I get round to it - running too.

Muhaba
01-14-2011, 12:50 PM
^speaking of chocolate, i really need to get a really evil chocolate cake. it's been so long since i've had one. i think i will indulge today!

جوري
01-14-2011, 10:51 PM
How to Cheat on Your Diet Every Day and Still Lose Weight

By marymeyerwrites, eHow Member

Cheat on Your Diet Every Day and Still Lose Weight
How to Cheat on Your Diet Every Day and Still Lose Weight

User-Submitted Article
It's difficult enough to lose weight, so do we really need unrealistic diets that don't allow us to eat things that we like? Ridiculous restriction almost always leads to failure, so why not allow yourself to cheat and still see results?

Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions

1. 1
    First and foremost, you need to know how MUCH you can cheat. In the same way you need to know how many miles per gallon your car gets, you need to know how many calories you can eat each day and still lose weight. A simple calculator can be found at http://nutrition.about.com
  2. 2
    Next you need to know the caloric value of the food you eat. Many people say "I don't want to count calories", but again that is the same as saying "I don't want to know how much gas I need in my car". If you keep a food log, tracking everything you eat each day along with its caloric value (easy to do at www.sparkpeople.com) for one week, you will be well equipped to easily "guesstimate" from that point on how many calories a certain food has. Trust me, it will become second nature!
  3. 3
    Once you know how many calories you can eat each day based on your desired weight, figure 10% of those calories as your daily cheat. In other words, if you are eating 1,700 calories a day, 170 of those can be cheat calories. How many people would be happy to say they ate healthfully 90% of every day? Much easier to do so if you plan ahead for your cheat.
  4. 4
    To plan ahead, determine what your cheat will be before your day starts. Otherwise it's too easy to "overcheat". Choose what will satisfy your usual cravings and when you are usually most susceptible. For instance, if you always crave something sweet right after lunch at work, pack a few Hershey's Kisses in your lunch bag. If you always like a crunchy/salty snack with your sandwich, measure out how many chips you are going to have with it--don't take the whole bag with you. Of course, you can make your cheat healthier by choosing low-fat, low-sugar options. Why not try a chocolate protein drink if you like sweets or baked vegetable chips if you need a crunch?
  5. 5
    Make sure the other 90% of your calories are as close to nature as possible and unprocessed. Fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy and meats and whole grains are the foods that allow you to cheat well, so be sure you fill the rest of your day with these. You will soon find that your "diet" has become your "live-it" and that you can maintain a healthy weight for the rest of your life.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5204885_chea...se-weight.html

جوري
01-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Burning Calories - How to Walk for Weight Control

By Wendy Bumgardner, About.com Guide
Updated October 24, 2007
About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board

See More About:

Weight is determined mostly by the balance of calories - how many you burn vs. how many you eat each day. To lose weight, you need to increase your activity to burn more and/or eat fewer calories each day. Calories and Weight

A pound of fat equals 3500 calories. To lose 1 pound a week you will need to expend 3500 more calories than you eat that week, whether through increased activity or decreased eating or both. Losing 1-2 pounds of fat a week is a sensible goal, and so you will want to use the combination of increased activity and eating less that will total 3500 calories for 7 days. How You Burn Calories

Your weight x distance = energy used walking. Time does not matter as much as distance. If you speed up to walking a mile in 13 minutes or less, you will be burning more calories per mile. But for most beginning walkers, it is best to increase the distance before working on speed. A simple rule of thumb is 100 calories per mile for a 180 pound person. Note About the Calories Chart
You burn more calories per mile at very low speeds because you are basically stopping and starting with each step and your momentum isn't helping to carry you along. Meanwhile, at very high walking speeds you are using more muscle groups with arm motion and with a racewalking stride. Those extra muscles burn up extra calories with each step. Running may burn more calories per mile as there is an up and down motion lifting your weight off the ground as well as moving it forward.
Calorie Calculator by Distance
Calorie and Distance Calculator
Pedometer Steps Calorie and Distance Calculator

http://walking.about.com/cs/howtolos...howcalburn.htm

Musalman
01-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Who`s really passionate for losing weight?

Samiro
01-15-2011, 05:19 PM
What has worked really well for me to lose weight in a couple of months (went from 80 to 70) was to cut mainly on carbs. I used to drink a lot of soda and pretty much loved everything with sugar, but I started eating and drinking a little healthier and along with excersize, the pounds flew off. Im pretty convinced that eating healthy and excersize should be sufficient.

Musalman
01-15-2011, 05:25 PM
You are right. Too muc carbs can make us look fat and puffy.

S.Belle
01-15-2011, 05:42 PM
I changed my eating habits and actually lost a good 5 pounds :)
I dont really want to lose weight im more concerned with inches and just want to get toned
any suggestions.

جوري
01-17-2011, 02:54 AM
BMR calculator

http://www.internetfitness.com/calculators/bmr.htm

جوري
01-17-2011, 02:56 AM
or you could do it yourself with this formula:

Women’s BMR:
655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - minus (4.7 x age in years)

S.Belle
01-17-2011, 03:00 AM
^ I have question for u doc which is more important to lose inches or weight?

جوري
01-17-2011, 03:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
^ I have question for u doc which is more important to lose inches or weight?

you certainly don't want to lose inches from your height :haha:.. fact is when you lose weight if you're not exercising at the same time, some of your skin will sag especially morbidly obese people.. they can just have pounds of sagging skin it is very sad.. so it is best to do both for a healthy life style both eating right and exercising.
this guy (see pix) unfortunately isn't an uncommon side effect of weight loss after a roux en Y .. so I personally don't believe in quick fixes.. the answer would be you want both at the same time, the pounds with the inches, you want Muscle tone along with a healthy body..

S.Belle
01-17-2011, 04:50 AM
^thnks sis
i just checked my weight and i lost another pound =)
im not even trying my mom's on a diet and im just helping her by doing some of it with her and i nvr would have thought that eating 6 times a day and making healthier food choices would make such a difference

hope everyone is sucessful in improving their health inshallah

جوري
01-17-2011, 04:55 AM

ameen ya rabb.. maintaining a good weight is excellent.. I mean I hope that is what people at least take out of this thread.. it is ok to pig out every now and then, but many people make pigging out an everyday thing and then unable to turn that off and it becomes their normal...

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-17-2011, 04:55 AM
Not everyone...:( :p

glo
01-17-2011, 07:16 AM
I changed my eating habits and actually lost a good 5 pounds :)
I dont really want to lose weight im more concerned with inches and just want to get toned
any suggestions.
I started doing 10 minutes of toning exercises most mornings last summer, and I have found that they work really well.
I haven't lost any weight, but have lost some inches, especially around waist and hips.

I found this muslimah fitness site, which might be helpful.
It contains exercise videos demonstrated by a hijabi - so there is no need to look at scantily clad women.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-17-2011, 08:23 AM

It is like someone saying, I want to pass the test but no way am I sitting down and studying for it...

anything that has to be done right, has to be done in an academic fashion and with consistency...

lol it doesnt really have to be an academic fashion :p

but yes consistency.

for example just jog half an hour each day, i guarantee weight loss so long as you dont eat more then 4 times a day and eat 2 plates at each sitting :p.

besides ive noticed that the more i exercise the less hungry i feel.

true story :O

Assalamu Alaikum

S.Belle
01-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Not everyone...

you can do it:thumbs_up inshallah

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I started doing 10 minutes of toning exercises most mornings last summer, and I have found that they work really well.
What kind of escercises if you dont mind
It contains exercise videos demonstrated by a hijabi - so there is no need to look at scantily clad women.
Wow that site is really nice mashallah thnks a bunch dear.

Muhaba
01-19-2011, 01:18 PM
eating healthy can be addictive. once you start eating healthy, that's what you will love doing. the important thing is to change your lifestyle and start eating healthily. don't go on a diet as diets make you feel like you are restricting your self. you wait for the time when you can eat like you used to before you started dieting and that only causes failure. eventually you are back to the way you were eating and gain all the weight you struggled so hard to lose, which makes you feel worse than when you started.

so the best thing to do is to change your lifestyle. eat healthier and include some snack daily (the cheat). this way you won't feel like you are restricting yourself.

eating less is even important islamically. many verses that tell us to eat the good things and avoid the bad (haram) stuff then tell us not to waste stuff, and overeating is wasting food. (see ch. 7, Al-Araf for one such verse).

glo
01-19-2011, 07:53 PM
What kind of escercises if you dont mind
I rotate the following exercises for 6 days:
  • Day 1 Core exercises (i.e. crunches, plank, back extension)
  • Day 2 Lower Body exercises (i.e. lunges, squats, inner and outer thigh exercises)
  • Day 3 Upper Body exercises (i.e. some dumbbell exercises and push-ups)

On day 7 I take a rest.

Wow that site is really nice mashallah thnks a bunch dear.
Glad you like it. I found the site neat too! :)

S.Belle
01-19-2011, 08:32 PM
^ thanks for the excercises i will start tomorrow inshallah

*charisma*
01-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

I got a couple of questions:

1. Do fat cells break down and exit our body, or do they just shrink? I was taught by an anatomy teacher that they shrink, which I guess would make sense for why people would gain weight so fast if they return to their old habits, but on the other hand if that were the case, how would one get rid of them completely without the use of liposuction?

2. Is there a healthy way to lose weight quickly (more than 2lbs a week) if one did vigorous exercise and ate sufficient calories so that they don't lose muscle mass rather than fat and even be able to gain a little muscle?

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Muhaba
01-22-2011, 12:16 PM
^don't try to lose too much weight, you will only fail. just try to eat more healthily and insha-Allah you'll be able to lose weight gradually.

i myself fell off track the past few days and started eating too much. but insha-Allah i'll be watching what i eat as well as lowering the amount of tea i drink. in winter hot tea is delicious however i've noticed that tea makes you eat more, so lowering how much tea one drinks will insha-Allah help lower appetite.

StudentIII
02-01-2011, 12:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

I got a couple of questions:

1. Do fat cells break down and exit our body, or do they just shrink? I was taught by an anatomy teacher that they shrink, which I guess would make sense for why people would gain weight so fast if they return to their old habits, but on the other hand if that were the case, how would one get rid of them completely without the use of liposuction?

2. Is there a healthy way to lose weight quickly (more than 2lbs a week) if one did vigorous exercise and ate sufficient calories so that they don't lose muscle mass rather than fat and even be able to gain a little muscle?

fi aman allah
w'salaam
Salaam,

1. Adipocytes (fat cells) just like any other cell in the body can break down. However fat cells are unique in that they have a large store of lipids in them. Think of a large balloon filled with water, you would have to release all the water before getting rid of the balloon itself. However I don't really see how this is relevant to losing fat. Think of your body fat as a pool of body fat. In other words you cannot spot reduce fat from one portion of the body. Doing one hundred arm exercises is not only going to target the fat in your arms but will also target fat stored in other parts of the body. That is why it is more efficient to do exercises that utilize the larger muscle groups at the same time (compound exercises).

2. That depends on where your starting at. Try focusing on improving a few things at a time that you can sustain consistently. A little goes a long way if your consistent.

SlaveOfGod
02-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Isn't everyone trying to lose weight? =( I just need to get more fit, hoping to start jogging soon Inshallah, I would start dieting but my dad says I shouldn't be dieting at this age >.<

جوري
02-20-2011, 03:30 AM
I slipped today.. the first day in so long.. but I had no idea..

660 calories if you can believe it for this 12 oz brain freeze.. ugh.. I wish I knew before the fact of the matter..
you should never eat or drink out

Al-Mufarridun
02-20-2011, 04:05 AM

I realize many of you actually want to pack on some pounds so this isn't for you..

Lol any tips for us? :D

جوري
02-20-2011, 04:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mufarridun
Lol any tips for us?

have two of those godiva drinks with every meal guaranteed to pack the pds in no time..

Al-Mufarridun
02-20-2011, 04:16 AM
660 calories in just that small drink? whoa!

so whats the average in take for a male? 2800 a day?

I think i also need to try and get enough sleep. Insha'Allah

جوري
02-20-2011, 04:24 AM
660 calories in just that small drink? whoa! so whats the average in take for a male? 2800 a day? I think i also need to try and get enough sleep. Insha'Allah

you need to calculate your BMR to see what your ideal caloric intake should be...
I don't personally understand why anyone would want to give up being svelte, blithe and nimble for being sloth like and obese...but each is to his own..
yeah that tiny drink really surprised me.. it is funny because the larger mocha frappuccino

is about 400 calories at 16 oz..and I never have it because it is so loaded.. I was really fooled today by this godiva drink.. I am disappointed with myself..

Al-Mufarridun
02-20-2011, 04:36 AM
I'm not aiming to be obese. just adding few pounds. :D I just need to follow a healthy diet + a consistent exercise routine, and at the same time try and get enough rest. insha'Allah once this snow dries off, i can go back to running.

جوري
02-20-2011, 05:11 AM
I'm not aiming to be obese. just adding few pounds. I just need to follow a healthy diet + a consistent exercise routine, and at the same time try and get enough rest. insha'Allah once this snow dries off, i can go back to running.

If you're eating correctly with accordance to your metabolic needs, then this your body habitus it is slender and believe me that is a blessing.. just embrace it.. I have known many, and I mean many slender svelte people who upon marriage just balooned.. before you know it, 40 hits with a touch of essential hypertension a touch of high cholesterol then soon after type II diabetes, baldness a muffin top and then a miserable life from there and a down hill spiral until early death...

running is good, slender is good.. youth is a marvelous thing and it goes by fast..

Al-Mufarridun
02-20-2011, 05:23 AM

If you're eating correctly with accordance to your metabolic needs, then this your body habitus it is slender and believe me that is a blessing.. just embrace it.. I have known many, and I mean many slender svelte people who upon marriage just balooned.. before you know it, 40 hits with a touch of essential hypertension a touch of high cholesterol then soon after type II diabetes, baldness a muffin top and then a miserable life from there and a down hill spiral until early death...

running is good, slender is good.. youth is a marvelous thing and it goes by fast..

wal'iyadu Billah. May Allah(swt) save us from that end. Ameen.

جوري
02-20-2011, 05:24 AM
wal'iyadu Billah. May Allah(swt) save us from that end.

indeed walhi especially if accompanied by kuffr and drunkenness ..

Al-Mufarridun
02-20-2011, 05:32 AM
indeed.

رَبَّنَا آتِنَا فِي الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَفِي الآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ
البقرة :201

Rabi'ya
02-20-2011, 06:36 AM
I would love to lose weight. since I had Mariyya my weight has yo-yo'd and I really cant seem to do anything about it. through Ramadhan i was losing weight(not that it was my intention) but just around a kilo a day for the last 2 weeks.As soon as Ramadhan stopped I put the weight back on. Now the only thing I can guess it was is perhaps water as after Ramadhan I really didnt eat much. and in fact much less than before.

Anyway....Im gonna give some sites a go and start a calorie controlled diet a long with strict excersice inshAllah. what worries me more is the hidden damage that carrying around extra weight does. i dont want my little one to have that to deal with as she grows up and I certainly do wanna take care of my body at such a young age....

So guys....any further hints and tips?

glo
02-20-2011, 07:53 AM
You lost a kilo a day, Silver Orchid? That sounds like an awful lot to me!
The usual advice is not to lose more than 1 or 2 pounds per week.

My advice would be:

1. Try not to snack between meals (not always easy with a little one around), or choose healthy snacks (such as the dreaded carrot sticks! LOL)
  2. Make exercise your daily routine. For example walk instead of drive, or get off one bust stop sooner and walk the rest (I don't know how easy that is in rural areas ...)
  3. Get enough sleep (apparently not sleeping changes your hormone levels and makes you more hungry in the morning)
  4. Don't skip breakfast!

I use this site to track my nutrition and exercises. I don't log my calories every day, but once in a while for a few days, to see if I am still on track.

Rabi'ya
02-20-2011, 11:49 AM

thanks Glo. Ive used that site before. ill try to stick with it. the sleep thing is definitely important. and i think i shall stock up on more fruit and veggies for snacks.

I thought it was a lot to lose too. straight after i stopped fasting tho, i stoped losing weight. Im sure ive lost many Kgs since Ive been ill too.

جوري
02-20-2011, 01:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~SilverOrchid~
So guys....any further hints and tips?

It might seem difficult but if you cut your weekly caloric intake by 2400 calories you'll lose a pound a week.. and that is the safest and best way to lose it.. start up exercises should be some stretching and walking 15 minutes then work up your way to 45 three times a week insha'Allah.. it is all very elementary about ins and outs..you can eat as many as 5 times a day so long as your caloric intake doesn't exceed your BMR.. however if you're trying to lose weight you'll want to go lower than your BMR but no lower than 1200 because it will not be safe any less than that for your body to meet with your basic metabolic state..

and Allah swt knows best

Zuzubu
02-20-2011, 02:04 PM
I used to weight 65 kilos, and after ramadhan I turned pretty skinny (55 kg) which is'nt good for a 16 year old male.

Now it's more like 60kg, but I wanna weight more.

Wanna know the best hint? Drop all those stupid products which says you lose weight by putting patches on your stomach.

The prophet told us to keep 1/3 of the stomach with BREAD, 1/3 of stomack with WATER, and 1/3 of stomach empty!

Just keep on eating and drinking natural (no coca cola, jelly etc. because that is not near us, neither is it natural). Milk, water, bread, fruits, etc.

Do this, and believe me! It will help.

Fasting is also a good idea if you wanna go hardcore. ;)

Muhaba
02-21-2011, 08:24 AM
If you want to lose weight, use olive oil instead of other oils. it does wonders. and eat a few olives daily. the arabs (of UAE and Syria) are so thin that i used to wonder how they could remain so thin? was it in their genes or did it have something to do with what they ate. and i saw that using olive oil lowers the apetite.

ameena.hannan
02-23-2011, 01:36 PM
1st prize for the obvious info, but I find that if I walk (rather than drive) to walk-able places and watch what I eat...I feel great and I've always stayed fairly thin-ish

Zuzubu
02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Fat is healthy - That's one of my mottos! :D

Eat fat (not alone, eat it with food) but remmember to variate in other food too. Also remmember to keep exersicing.

glo
02-23-2011, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ameena.hannan
1st prize for the obvious info, but I find that if I walk (rather than drive) to walk-able places and watch what I eat...I feel great and I've always stayed fairly thin-ish
I agree.
I try to leave the car at home whenever I can.
And when I travel by bus, I sometimes get off a stop or two earlier to walk a little more.

Argamemnon
02-24-2011, 03:30 PM
I have no problems staying in shape.. I mainly eat healthy organic food. I hope you will do the same..

Also, I have rid myself of back acne almost completely by drinking lavender tea and eating the right foods. I have a healthy skin now.. sometimes I also drink fresh carrot and tomato juice although not as often as I should due to time restrictions and laziness...

I still eat some junk food on occasion..

جوري
02-24-2011, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
I have no problems staying in shape.. I mainly eat healthy organic food. I hope you will do the same.. Also, I have rid myself of back acne almost completely by drinking lavender tea and eating the right foods. I have a healthy skin now.. sometimes I also drink fresh carrot and tomato juice although not as often as I should due to time restrictions and laziness... I still eat some junk food on occasion..

I love lavender tea and lavender honey mmm.. masha'Allah..
I am not crazy about carrot juice though, my parents always buy me grapefruit juice which is so tart and delicious and they buy the carrot juice for themselves.. for some reason it seems flat to me but at least it isn't very sugary on the occasion that I do have it, the lack of sweetness is what I appreciate about it.. sugary things are very cloying to me..

Cabdullahi
02-24-2011, 11:02 PM
i have a question.... how does one lose fat from his ear lobes

*charisma*
02-24-2011, 11:11 PM
^liposuction your ear lobes.

Muhaba
02-25-2011, 07:56 AM
^^exercise ur ears by attaching really heavy earrings, prefeably dumbell shaped.

Muhaba
02-25-2011, 08:18 AM
here are a few more weight loss tips: walk three hours a week and you'll lose a kg a month. that's 12 kgs in a year.
avoid sweets (cookies, candies, etc) as they tend to make you hungry right away. apples also tend to make you hungry.

glo
02-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Went for a half-hour-run with friends this morning. A great way to start the day and to feel energised (and to use approximately 300 calories)!

Little_Lion
04-01-2011, 06:23 PM
I want very, very badly to lose weight, insha'Allah. Before my daughter was born, I weighed - no joke - about 80 pounds (I'm 5'2"). I couldn't keep weight on no matter what, and used to have to have high-calorie shakes and drinks between HUGE meals to stay healthy. When I became pregnant, I had morning sickness 24 hours a day, and had to eat constantly to keep my baby healthy because I would lose anything I ate within 15 minutes. The good news is, I put on weight! The bad news is, my metabolism changed so much that even though I now stay at a steady 1000 - 1200 calories a day of healthy foods, I'm 220 lbs. :( One thing that makes it difficult is that many vegetables upset my stomach terribly, and some I can't even process hardly at all. Especially peppers; I LOVE PEPPERS, but I can't eat them. So taking the further step of adding more veggies to my diet is not an option. Another major downfall is that in the US, non-processed foods are very, very expensive, and a lot of fruits need to be imported to my area, making it even more difficult to open up the wallet for foods that not only cost a fortune here, but are coated with so many chemicals to keep them from rotting during transport that it's probably worse to eat them than not. :(

I'd love to get down to a HEALTHY range for my height, somewhere in the 120 to 140 area (I'd rather have a little extra padding than not enough). All thanks be to Allah that I've lived to see another spring, and I can start walking extensively. I'm also going to be working brain-tanning hides for leather insha'Allah, which is VERY physical work. My garage looks like a horror movie right now with skins waiting for tanning. :lol: But insha'Allah it will bring in a little extra revenue for the family.

ANYWHOO, one thing I'd recommend for anyone whose kids have a Nintendo DS (NOT a DSi, or DSXL) is a "game" called "My Weight Loss Coach". You have to have an original DS, because the game comes with a pedometer that you need to be able to plug into the GameBoy slot to get the program past a certain point; the DSi and DSXL do not have this slot (however, if you know someone else that has one, once you get past that point in the program, you can run it on any DS system). The pedometer is junk, you'll want to get a new one, but the program is full of challenges, tips, and mini-games promoting a healthy lifestyle. It does contain stick-figure animation that I found extremely inoffensive and friendly to all faiths. Before winter hit and I got lazy, it helped me shed 15 pounds slowly and safely, and I was feeling great. Time to fire it up again!

If you get this program, fun tip for parent/child interaction: if your children play Pokemon HeartGold/Soulsilver, those games came with . . . a pedometer! The more you walk, the stronger the Pokemon in the pedometer becomes; I used to take my daughter's with me, because it encouraged me to keep walking more and more and surprise her at the end of the day with how many steps we'd built up. Now I have my own and we go walking together "with our Pokemon". :D And then I can plug it into the weight loss program, and see how I'm doing for the day. I love mixing fun and health.

IslamicRevival
04-02-2011, 12:18 AM
I need to GAIN weight and it seems impossible

StudentIII
04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lost Identity
I need to GAIN weight and it seems impossible
What is a normal meal day for you?

Sunnie Ameena
04-04-2011, 08:02 PM
This is a great thread. Alot of good advice was given. I have been staying with the 1200 calorie plan and have actually lost 20 pounds. I don't call it a diet. I call it "HEP", "Healthy Eating Plan". I know that probably sound silly, but if I call it a diet, I tend to sabotage myself. Sunnie

Muhaba
04-08-2011, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
I want very, very badly to lose weight, insha'Allah. Before my daughter was born, I weighed - no joke - about 80 pounds (I'm 5'2"). I couldn't keep weight on no matter what, and used to have to have high-calorie shakes and drinks between HUGE meals to stay healthy. When I became pregnant, I had morning sickness 24 hours a day, and had to eat constantly to keep my baby healthy because I would lose anything I ate within 15 minutes. The good news is, I put on weight! The bad news is, my metabolism changed so much that even though I now stay at a steady 1000 - 1200 calories a day of healthy foods, I'm 220 lbs. :( One thing that makes it difficult is that many vegetables upset my stomach terribly, and some I can't even process hardly at all. Especially peppers; I LOVE PEPPERS, but I can't eat them. So taking the further step of adding more veggies to my diet is not an option. Another major downfall is that in the US, non-processed foods are very, very expensive, and a lot of fruits need to be imported to my area, making it even more difficult to open up the wallet for foods that not only cost a fortune here, but are coated with so many chemicals to keep them from rotting during transport that it's probably worse to eat them than not. :(

I'd love to get down to a HEALTHY range for my height, somewhere in the 120 to 140 area (I'd rather have a little extra padding than not enough). All thanks be to Allah that I've lived to see another spring, and I can start walking extensively. I'm also going to be working brain-tanning hides for leather insha'Allah, which is VERY physical work. My garage looks like a horror movie right now with skins waiting for tanning. :lol: But insha'Allah it will bring in a little extra revenue for the family.

ANYWHOO, one thing I'd recommend for anyone whose kids have a Nintendo DS (NOT a DSi, or DSXL) is a "game" called "My Weight Loss Coach". You have to have an original DS, because the game comes with a pedometer that you need to be able to plug into the GameBoy slot to get the program past a certain point; the DSi and DSXL do not have this slot (however, if you know someone else that has one, once you get past that point in the program, you can run it on any DS system). The pedometer is junk, you'll want to get a new one, but the program is full of challenges, tips, and mini-games promoting a healthy lifestyle. It does contain stick-figure animation that I found extremely inoffensive and friendly to all faiths. Before winter hit and I got lazy, it helped me shed 15 pounds slowly and safely, and I was feeling great. Time to fire it up again!

If you get this program, fun tip for parent/child interaction: if your children play Pokemon HeartGold/Soulsilver, those games came with . . . a pedometer! The more you walk, the stronger the Pokemon in the pedometer becomes; I used to take my daughter's with me, because it encouraged me to keep walking more and more and surprise her at the end of the day with how many steps we'd built up. Now I have my own and we go walking together "with our Pokemon". :D And then I can plug it into the weight loss program, and see how I'm doing for the day. I love mixing fun and health.
there are a few things to increase metabolism. 1. do some exercise daily. try to increase muscle as muscle burns more calories. also, muscle is leaner than fat. fat takes up more space than muscle. so if you burn fat and gain muscle, you will look slimmer even if you weigh the same.
2. don't skip meals as that will slow down your metabolism rate. eat a bit at every meal time.

there is an excellent book (body for life or something like that) that gives great tips. also, ediets.com and efitness.com have tips you can use to help you stay motivated.
threads like this one also help in increasing motivation. i lost quite a few pounds since it was started.

.iman.
10-15-2011, 04:38 PM
I love this thread, it is very inspiring. I don't necessarily need to lose any weight, but after going through a really rough time, I have been drowning myself in Ben and Jerrys and just not taking care of myself. I just need to start eating healthy, and exercising again. I used to run 5 miles every morning, and it's been over 3 months since I've done any sort of exercise.

Salahudeen
10-15-2011, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by .iman.
I love this thread, it is very inspiring. I don't necessarily need to lose any weight, but after going through a really rough time, I have been drowning myself in Ben and Jerrys and just not taking care of myself. I just need to start eating healthy, and exercising again. I used to run 5 miles every morning, and it's been over 3 months since I've done any sort of exercise.
The worst thing is when you condition your body in a certain way and put the time and effort in, if you take a short break all that training you did goes in a few weeks and your body goes back to how it was before you began training.

Hulk
06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
To the folks who want to lose weight but are too lazy to keep a Food Diary, I suggest you use this site.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

If you have a smartphone you can download it there as well. I have been using it for a while and it has made monitoring consumption much easier because I can easily see the nutritional value of certain foods. Let's go! Whether you want to burn them fats or build those muscles, or even both!

Periwinkle18
06-05-2012, 04:01 PM
sissssss help i need to gain weight :S

Pure Purple
06-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Sis ,
please suggest diet to gain weight.

جوري
06-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Do you mind sharing how tall you're and how much you weigh currently?

Periwinkle18
06-05-2012, 04:27 PM
^sis i'll Pm you

Pure Purple
06-05-2012, 04:29 PM
oh ....I think its not good to post such thing here.
When I will join sisters section ,I will post there.
It is hereditary in my family.My all aunts are thin,but my parents are on average weight.
I don't eat non veg,rarely eat and only dray chicken Items.I am allergic to egg.

جوري
06-05-2012, 04:35 PM
If your body type is a certain way hereditary then don't you think it would be unhealthy to dump fattening unhealthy food in the body just to look a certain way? Consider it a blessing honestly unless you're declared an anorexic by a medical doctor and have all the features including that baby fine hair called lanugo and your menstrual cycle has stopped due to malnutrition. Gaining weight is done in the opposite way you lose it .. just pack on the calories and become sedentary. :hmm:

Pure Purple
06-05-2012, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by لميس
If your body type is a certain way hereditary then don't you think it would be unhealthy to dump fattening unhealthy food in the body just to look a certain way? Consider it a blessing honestly unless you're declared an anorexic by a medical doctor and have all the features including that baby fine hair called lanugo and your menstrual cycle has stopped due to malnutrition. Gaining weight is done in the same way you lose it .. just pack on the calories and become sedentary.
I am happy with it I consider it blessings from allah (swt).
MY mom ........
Every time she keep on taunting me,You are not eating properly,you are choosy in eating food.Specially if any guest come to my house .She thinks,they consider her that she is not taking care of me.Not paying attention to me,she got upset.

جوري
06-05-2012, 04:44 PM
My experience with mothers including my own is that they're never happy with the way you turn out. You could be a neuro-surgeon astronaut with 11 perfectly gorgeous Hitler's dream type boys, juggling job, career a husband and house all immaculately and they'll still find something to criticize or some perfect other kid in the family with which to compare you to & highlight to all your shortcomings .. If you're pleasing Allah swt then that is all that matters.. all the other stuff doesn't matter. I don't advocate being unhealthy or anorexic but people who are usually unhealthy are overweight and usually due to their weight from DM to HBP to GERD all brought on by their life style.. why make such a trade?

Hulk
06-05-2012, 04:47 PM
I think ectomorphs are pretty lucky you guys can eat without worrying about gaining weight! (but doesn't mean unhealthy food won't affect your insides).

Pure Purple
06-05-2012, 04:48 PM
My experience with mothers including my own is that they're never happy with the way you turn out. You could be a neuro-surgeon astronaut with 11 perfectly gorgeous Hitler's dream type boys, juggling job, career a husband and house all immaculately and they'll still find something to criticize or some perfect other kid in the family with which to compare you to & highlight to all your shortcomings .. If you're pleasing Allah swt then that is all that matters.. all the other stuff doesn't matter. I don't advocate being unhealthy or anorexic but people who are usually unhealthy are overweight and usually due to their weight from DM to HBP to GERD all brought on by their life style.. why make such a trade?
No sis,my mother is happy what I am.
Only when listen to other women(relatives,neighbors) she got upset for few days.After that every thing is normal.

جوري
06-05-2012, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure Purple

No sis,my mother is happy what I am.
Only when listen to other women(relatives,neighbors) she got upset for few days.After that every thing is normal.
:lol: then please forgive the crude term 'to hell with the neighbors' -- You can't please everybody so you might as well please yourself.
I am 5'5 and 123 lbs al7mdullilah trying to go down to 115 lbs.. When women get pregnant they gain an average of 25lbs some more but recommended is 25lbs many of them are unable to take that weight off and with subsequent pregnancies in a row and not breastfeeding they balloon to something so unhealthy. I know so many sisters with that problem and it is really sad because they're always sick or getting surgery for something.. Mostly because their bones and ligaments can't support their weight and end up with complications from the surgery itself including collapsed lungs.. A person really needs to look ahead.. We can't decide whether or not we'll have kids but if you decide to and Allah swt blesses/gifts you with them then why risk all those complications?

Pure Purple
06-06-2012, 04:19 AM
When women get pregnant they gain an average of 25lbs some more but recommended is 25lbs many of them are unable to take that weight off and with subsequent pregnancies in a row and not breastfeeding they balloon to something so unhealthy. I know so many sisters with that problem and it is really sad because they're always sick or getting surgery for something.. Mostly because their bones and ligaments can't support their weight and end up with complications from the surgery itself including collapsed lungs.. A person really needs to look ahead.. We can't decide whether or not we'll have kids but if you decide to and Allah swt blesses/gifts you with them then why risk all those complications?
Sister don't talk about these crap things atleast infront of me.I hate marriage.I don't want to end up with marriage phobia.:hmm:

جوري
06-06-2012, 04:25 AM
this is a marriage free thread as most of my threads are .. Yes I know that feeling of impending doom been dodging it for a good long while myself..

Pure Purple
06-06-2012, 04:32 AM

Hulk
06-06-2012, 04:49 AM
which banana you eat ?
I eat biggest one.......
;D

That actually sounds like a low calorie plan to me, but its good that you managed to benefit from it. I think its also good that your nafs is not directed towards food. I think there is a hadith referring to it, while I think it is mainly referring to what one says I it is also related to nafs related to consumption.

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever can guarantee (the chastity of) what is between his two jaw-bones and what is between his two legs (i.e. his tongue and his private parts), I guarantee Paradise for him."

Pure Purple
06-06-2012, 04:52 AM
Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever can guarantee (the chastity of) what is between his two jaw-bones and what is between his two legs (i.e. his tongue and his private parts), I guarantee Paradise for him."
jazakallah for quoting this hadith.......
Next time I will read it infront of my mother.:statisfie

جوري
06-06-2012, 04:55 AM
I believe that hadith refers to what the mouth utters, which will spill people a great fall in hell 70 years..
but there indeed many ahadiths about the ills of overeating:

9. In Muslim and Bukhari: “The believer eats with one stomach while the kafir eats with seven stomachs.” Meaning: The believer eats with the manners of Islam and in moderation, while the kafir eats based on desires and gluttony and so he eats with seven stomachs.

From Abi Barza that the Prophet (sas) said: “My greatest fear for you is the appetites of transgression with regard to your stomachs and your privates and the inclinations which lead astray”. (Ahmad)

Ibn Umar(RA): A man said to Ibn Umar(RA): Shouldn’t I bring you some jawarish? Ibn Umar(RA) said: What is that? He said: Something which aids in digesting your food after you eat. Ibn Umar(RA) said: I have not eaten to being full for four months. That is not because I am not able to do so, but I was with a group of people who were hungry more than they were full.

http://myummah.co.za/site/2008/06/30...ating-obesity/

there's another about ills entering mankind through his stomach.. but my lids are getting too heavy to do any further search..
so I bid you all a gnight..

Hulk
06-06-2012, 05:18 AM
Thank u for sharing sis and goodnight!

There are quite a few more hadiths relating to consumption(i think about heavy stomach), though I can't remember word for word.

Of course it doesn't mean that if we see a big person we should think they are inferior, we are all different some are blessed with fast metabolism some not so fast. We also have our own nafs we need to deal with, I once saw an overweight brother who had injured his leg and he was carrying a portable chair around so that he can pray easily. It made me wonder whether I would have the heart to do what he does or whether my pride would get in the way.

Endymion
06-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Nope,i dont want to.I might disappear then :hmm:

MysticSoumeya
06-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks La Miss for launching this thread. I know it is beneficial for many of us.

Muhaba
06-06-2012, 12:32 PM
i have just what you need to lose weight, insha-Allah. i have tried it and it really works.

See my post: http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...ml#post1522339

Pure Purple
06-08-2012, 06:28 AM
sisلميس I am more interested in knowing fact"How many calories burn when a person get angry?"

جوري
06-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Don't know :) depends I guess on intensity and duration you can always google that I don't know how accurate they'd be ... It's Friday though better to smile than get angry?

glo
06-08-2012, 08:10 AM
sisلميس I am more interested in knowing fact"How many calories burn when a person get angry?"
Depends how much you jump up and down, I guess!

Hulk
06-08-2012, 09:33 AM
For Hulk.. he probably burns 3500 calories in five minutes.

Muhaba
06-08-2012, 10:25 AM
But the anger will probably cause you to get hungry soon after. and before you know it, you'll have consumed more calories than you burned. better find some other way to burn calories than anger!

Pure Purple
06-09-2012, 05:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
but the anger will probably cause you to get hungry soon after. and before you know it, you'll have consumed more calories than you burned. better find some other way to burn calories tha
Sister I don't want to burn even 1 calorie,I think my all my calories burned because of my anger.
Oh I found reason ....... ^o)

Hulk
06-10-2012, 12:44 AM
lol.. sis purple I think you are probably an ectomorph. You have very fast metabolism and it's not easy for you to bulk up :statisfie. How blessed you are!

جوري
06-15-2012, 03:30 AM
Probably one of the most fattening most decadent drinks I have come across and at 12 oz only is the

Godiva Dark Chocolate Decadence Chocolixir 660 calories if you can believe that even a 16 0z Mocha Frappuccino is only 400 calories .. so yeah a very quick way to pack on the pounds if you just want senseless calories.. When I went on my weight loss journey I just made/make alot of different choices even when desiring to be decadent I make different choices. I think it is easy to take it off and put it on if you you'll simply take the time to write down anything you do, including activities.. 10 minutes on a stair climber is 141 calories.. and everything is made so easy to calculate calories for you that if we all make conscious decisions of what goes in and out we will be at our ideal weight with some discipline. I don't subscribe to this diet or that diet... and I feel terrible for anyone who tells me I am restricting carbs or I am restricting this because it tells me that they don't get it.
I am of course talking about otherwise normal healthy people who have been cleared from rare metabolic disorders...

Hulk
06-15-2012, 07:18 AM
660 calories?! That's more than a meal!

I agree that once you actually write down your consumption and expenditure it is much easier to know whether you're going to lose weight or gain weight. I think many people don't bother to try it because it sounds too troublesome but once you see the results I'm sure you'll continue doing it and over time it does get easier. For me I just use myfitnesspal.com as it has a pretty big food database which is mostly user-submitted so you have to be careful with which one you add to your diary.

Muhaba
06-15-2012, 11:04 AM
i avoid such stuff altogether. rarey do i eat desserts, although once in a while i do. a few years ago i realized that i wasn't losing weight because of a few cookies i ate at college. so i stopped them, and at first it was difficult. i kept getting cravings like i was addicted, but after some time i overcame that and alhamdolillah. i don't have a problem with weight gain, my wieght is stable, but i wasn't losing any weight because of the sweets.

Hulk
06-21-2012, 03:30 PM
I have been eating this for a while now and I love it. Egg white omelette with mixed veggies! shiitake mushrooms! small sardines! The only problem is I think it is too LOW on calories!

جوري
06-21-2012, 03:39 PM
I like this Alfred Hitchcock picture.. where you focus on one object and dim fade what's behind.. was that intentional? how did you do it?

Muhaba
06-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Egg by itself only has 100 calories. however, if you fry it, then it has more calories from oil. if i ever have egg, it only contains 1 tsp oil but i rarely have it. i like it boiled better.

how is the egg omelette low on calories? is it not fried?

Hulk
06-22-2012, 04:32 AM
Thank you sister bluebell! Actually it was intentional AND artificial! I did it in Photoshop, mainly to hide my messy table! And sis writer I think a whole egg is less than 100 calories and if you remove the yolk it is about 16 calories. Personally I use olive oil and only a bit just so it won't stock to the pan. At most thr omelette is probably about 200 calories more or less. How many calories do you usually consume in a meal?

جوري
06-22-2012, 04:37 AM
brilliant .. what program did you use? and were you asking me personally of my caloric consumption or in general? I have about 1200 calories sometimes less sometimes more but I usually stick to 1200 so I try to make it worth my while else I feel hungry .. like right now.. you can tell I am starving when I watching the food network.. I don't recommend anyone put their body in starvation as it slows down metabolism ...

Muhaba
06-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Thank you sister bluebell! Actually it was intentional AND artificial! I did it in Photoshop, mainly to hide my messy table! And sis writer I think a whole egg is less than 100 calories and if you remove the yolk it is about 16 calories. Personally I use olive oil and only a bit just so it won't stock to the pan. At most thr omelette is probably about 200 calories more or less. How many calories do you usually consume in a meal?
well, i just don't like egg without the yolk. if i'm gonna eat it it will have the yolk. & 100 calories is not alot at all, however, since the yolk has a lot of cholestrol, one should eat it less.

i try to consume about 1400 - 1600 calories in a day. one shouldn't consume too few calories because then the body becomes starved and after a few days, the person starts binging, which will only make you feel like a failure and make you lose the battle. the best thing to do is to eat a little less than your daily requirement and then exercise to burn off calories and build muscle. if you walk an hour, that burns 300 calories.

Hulk
06-22-2012, 07:52 PM
I used the Lens Blur effect in Adobe Photoshop CS5 ;) I have a dslr camera but it's been ages since i took it out for a shoot, I should really remove the batteries soon..

1200 and 1400 sounds fine for women I think :) Guys probably need a bit more or else they'll starve!

I used to need my yolks in my eggs as well but once I put a whole bunch of other goodies in it I don't miss the yolks that much. It's ok to put one in every now and then but I don't even do that unless I accidentally dropped the whole egg in the bowl then I'll go ahead and cook it anyway. I seriously love eggs, I know some people can't stand it hehehe.

I am actually not a very good cook but nowadays with youtube and all there are so many recipes I feel like trying. I saw one about Tuna Patties. I made it and it tasted horrible.

جوري
06-22-2012, 07:54 PM
yes men shouldn't go below 1500-1700.. that's just the calories needed to run your body functions daily.. probably need a bit more depending on BMR height current weight etc.

I also took up cooking of late and for every success story I have ten failed ones..

glo
06-22-2012, 07:59 PM
It depends a little on activity levels and height/size, but 1200 calories is very little for a woman. Even if aiming to lose weight, the calorie intake should not drop below 1200.

The UK Department of Health Estimated Average Requirements (EAR) are a daily calorie intake of 1940 calories per day for reasonably active women and 2550 for men. That's to maintain weight, rather than trying to lose it.

Don't make it so hard on yourselves, girls. Just try to be more active, leave the car at home, get one stop earlier off the bus and walk the rest, take the stairs instead of the lift, etc. Every little helps!

جوري
06-22-2012, 08:03 PM
wow-precisely why British women are the fattest in Europe:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...sed-obese.html

Anyone undertaking a diet for the first time unless they know what they're doing should check with the experts and have a physician or dietician oversee their progress. The advise given here isn't intended as a substitute to visit your GP nor intended to treat or cure anyone!

glo
06-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Purest Lily, the advice from the U.S. Department of Agriculture doesn't seem all that different - bearing in mind that this particular advice is for sedentary women, not active ones.

Do you know of different advice from a medical perspective?
I was slightly surprised that in the US the recommendation on calorific intake comes from the Department of Agriculture. I imagine that they might have their own bias towards consuming food ...

Sedentary women require the fewest calories per day, especially overweight or obese sedentary women. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, sedentary adult women ages 19 to 25 require about 2,000 calories per day, sedentary women ages 26 to 50 require about 1,800 calories per day and sedentary women ages 51 and older require about 1,600 calories per day to maintain their body weight. According to Medline Plus, if you're sedentary or very obese you'll require about 10 calories per pound of your desirable body weight per day for weight maintenance, and if you're over age 55 or have a low activity level you'll require about 13 calories per pound of your desirable body weight on a daily basis.

Snowflake
06-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I found an excellent vid on you tube by a guy who's been drinking honey and black seed three times a day. I was only able to listen to the audio as his awrah wasn't appropriately covered or else I would've posted it.

The rapid weight loss drink was:
1tsp honey
1tsp black seed poil
1tsp cinnamon.

He claims that the fat just melts and you can see the results almost straight away. One thing I need to make people aware of is that honey should be avoided if you suffer from bile. I am not sure what that is. However, if you do want to take honey then adding vinegar to it will neutralize the harmful effects. (Medicine of the Prophet - insha Allah will provide page number later).

جوري
06-22-2012, 08:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snowflake
I found an excellent vid on you tube by a guy who's been drinking honey and black seed three times a day. I was only able to listen to the audio as his awrah wasn't appropriately covered or else I would've posted it.

The rapid weight loss drink was:
1tsp honey
1tsp black seed poil
1tsp cinnamon.

He claims that the fat just melts and you can see the results almost straight away. One thing I need to make people aware of is that honey should be avoided if you suffer from bile. I am not sure what that is. However, if you do want to take honey then adding vinegar to it will neutralize the harmful effects. (Medicine of the Prophet - insha Allah will provide page number later).
honey and black seed have excellent properties but like anything if not used in moderation can cause problems.
I am curious what you mean by suffering from 'bile' and by what means is the fat 'melted' from the body.. fat by its nature is hydrophobic and stays in relatively anhydrous environment like the connective tissue as adipoctes.. gives people that cottage cheese appearance. Lipolysis occurs under influence of hormones and usually the body breaks down other sources of energy first before it resorts to beta oxidation. Since fat itself is used in the body in the precursor compound 'cholesterol' from which all other hormones are made as well the composition of the cell wall itself.. anything in excess or out of balance goes in the form of lipoproteins HDL, LDL, IDL etc.
Did the fellow happen to mention what role honey plays in this? I am not doubting that it does but would like to know the name of the compound that plays a part of it.

A person should have a balanced diet which means getting all of your calories in your diet in a Nutritional Balance of 40%-30%-30%. That means 40% of calories from Carbohydrates, 30% from Protein, and 30% from Fat.

I dislike very much the term dieting .. what it is is a life style change where one gets all the nutrients their body needs to function properly without deprivation and to sustain that for life.. not go on this diet or that diet for 6 weeks and then put it all back. This actually changes the composition of the body when people crash diet and they put the weight back on they tend to put it back as fat not muscle...

Muhaba
06-22-2012, 09:07 PM
bile - isn't that the substance made by the gallbladder which helps in digestion of fat and oils?

in anycase, it's so true that any weight loss program has to have exercise included in it, otherwise you lose mostly muscle.

exercising has many benefits (and i think talking about it is better than talking about food as food topics arouse my appetite!). exercise helps you burn calories. it builds muscle & more muscle means more calories being burned because muscle needs energy. while fat just sits doing nothing. it doesn't burn calories. exercise also makes you feel better. do you know if you become an exercise addict, you do a lot of it and it makes you feel wonderful!

so do some exercise daily and watch how it makes you feel. i like to walk while memorizing the Quran or revising or when doing daily zikr, in addition to other exercises for muscle toning etc.

some exercises may also help in lowering appetite. i've seen this effect in situps. just do like 40 - 60 situps and it'll lower your appetite.

honey must have some benefits. i drink it with a herbal medicine i'm taking and i wonder if it has has any effect on my appetite?

جوري
06-22-2012, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
bile - isn't that the substance made by the gallbladder which helps in digestion of fat and oils?
indeed.. honey does help in the formation of bile salts.. So I just want to know what she means by suffering from bile.. since it is something we all hopefully should have to aid in digestion.

Snowflake
06-22-2012, 09:26 PM
I am curious what you mean by suffering from 'bile'
I've no idea. It was phrased like that in the book (Medicine of the Prophet). Translations leave a lot to be desired for :\

and by what means is the fat 'melted' from the body..
It's just a phrase describing fast weight loss :)

جوري
06-22-2012, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snowflake

I've no idea. It was phrased like that in the book (Medicine of the Prophet). Translations leave a lot to be desired for :\
yeah.. I am going to look at it in Arabic in shaa Allah

It's just a phrase describing fast weight loss :)
Don't fall for it in shaa Allah.. man can't live on honey and cinnamon alone..
:wub:

Snowflake
06-22-2012, 09:38 PM
منوة الخيال;
1527050]
yeah.. I am going to look at it in Arabic in shaa Allah
jazaki Allah khayr sis, that'd be so helpful :)

Don't fall for it in shaa Allah.. man can't live on honey and cinnamon alone..
:wub:
lol nah. I wouldn't be able to survive on a few drinks anyway. I forgot to mention that he said to have the drink half an hour before meals :)

Hulk
06-28-2012, 05:43 PM

75 calories per cookie ain't too bad hehe..

patientgrace
07-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes, I would love to lose about 75 lbs.

I am not one for starving or depriving myself of any foods. I just watch how much I eat and any type of exercise is better than nothing. I tend to go walking early in the morning when they weather is cool. When I was younger.. ages ago... I would get up at 7:00 AM every morning and go run 2-3 miles a day.

Hulk
07-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Sis if you really want to lose some pounds I suggest signing up on myfitnesspal.com. It will calculate how much calories your body needs and then according to your weight loss goal they will give you a caloric deficit goal. Then you will have a food diary which you can add what sort of food you ate that day and make sure you meet your caloric goal!

Kei
07-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Sis if you really want to lose some pounds I suggest signing up on myfitnesspal.com. It will calculate how much calories your body needs and then according to your weight loss goal they will give you a caloric deficit goal. Then you will have a food diary which you can add what sort of food you ate that day and make sure you meet your caloric goal!
OMG I was just going to recommend this!!!
What hulk said, this site is amazing, it does most of the work for you. I've lost half a stone in a month since I joined :D
Add friends to make the journey easier :)

Serendipity
07-24-2012, 11:55 AM
My weight keeps yo-yoing. I need to lose 21 pounds but I keep thinking of chocolate :(

Hulk
07-24-2012, 11:57 AM
I have a friend who looooves sweet things. When I tell him he is addicted he gets all angry lol.

جوري
10-16-2012, 12:18 AM
I ate quite a bit today for only 1075 calories perhaps the best combo as it was filling

Breakfast Nutella + mini cinnamon raisin bagel 198 calories
lunch Maple Pecan granola cereal + 1 medjdool date + 1 cup of low fat milk = 332
dinner beef kofta and white rice = 483

and running burned 155 calories ..
so from my self imposed 1200 calorie diet I get 282 calories left to spend whichever way I want.. I am actually not hungry..

so how is going for you guys? or you don't do it anymore?

Hulk
10-16-2012, 08:32 AM
I've been too lazy to cook proper food lately (which explains all the eggs lol), and honestly I've been to about 2 dinner functions these past 2 weeks so results haven't been optimal ;D

But I just bought a whole bunch of salmon fillets (cut from a whole salmon), so I'm going to have yet another salmon filled week. No mercury poisoning InshaAllah. Oh and I just realised that this thread was one of the first threads I participated in when I joined in 2010, this is the first time sis bluebell mentioned cartoned liquid egg whites I was like THERES SUCH A THING?

جوري
10-16-2012, 10:34 AM
I use them all the time for meringue as to not waste yolk - don't like em on their own though .. In fact I've a very ambivalent relationship with eggs - sometimes they can be really off putting to me.

glo
10-16-2012, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
and running burned 155 calories ..
Do you run regularly?
I am just trying to get back into the habit.

What kind of distance do you run?

جوري
10-16-2012, 07:52 PM
I try to mix it up but I do at least 17 minutes of stair climbing every day unless something comes up or I feel very sick but I try to push past whatever I am feeling.. otherwise brisk jogging down by the water or swimming which I am laying off a while because I hate to be on a path where I'll meet with other people.

White Rose
10-16-2012, 07:59 PM
because I hate to be on a path where I'll meet with other people.
That is often why I hate going jogging or walking outside :hmm:

Hulk
10-16-2012, 08:35 PM
lol then you have to do a stop-and-chat.

جوري
10-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I always blast my iPhone in my ears just can't stand the sight of other people too much sensory stimuli - so I try to go after fajr anyway but even then there are others who think along the same line I guess

glo
10-17-2012, 06:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ارجمند
That is often why I hate going jogging or walking outside
I choose my times when I go walking and running if that's possible. Trying to avoid the school children or dog walkers is good, for example.

Sometimes that's not possible though, for example when I cycle to and from work. (I much rather whizz along on my bike than sit in the traffic in my car). Meeting other people is not so bad on the whole. I remind myself that they have just as much right to be there, walking, cycling, running or whatever, than I have.

Muhaba
10-17-2012, 03:15 PM
i am always on a diet. well most of the time. and i love exercising. lately i've been doing brisk walking, on the way back from work as the weather has become nicer. brisk walking helps lose more calories than just walking (walking burns 300 c a hour; brisk walking burns more.) and the best thing is that it brings down my apetite too. so it's all good.

but whatever is wrong with this site, it's down most of the time.

sammie
11-29-2012, 11:56 PM
same here!!! tried counting calories but found it so tedious, also tried intermittent fasting but felt as though i was gaining instead of losing. I just want a flat stomach ahh if only.

Hulk
11-30-2012, 01:18 AM
I suggest investing in a digital kitchen scale so that you can weigh your food, that way it'll be more precise. its not that tedious after you get the hang of it, myfitnesspal helps a lot of course. That said, don't be afraid to eat whatever you want(that is halal), just keep it within a reasonable amount. As long as you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Meal timing hardly matters so whether your on IF or not if you're on a surplus you'll still gain.

Logikon
11-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Way back on the 31st December last year I decided I was overweight and would do something about it.
Since 31st Dec, I have lost 8.5 kilo!
I am now 82.5 kilo
I never imagined I would lose 5 kilo but now I am pushing on to lose a total of 10 kilo.
I gave up chips, chocolate, ice cream etc.
My meals include very small amounts of rice or potato. Previously had large amounts of those.
My meals are about 50 grams less than before – so I am not hungry as such.
As for exercise – I found a quite route and measured 5 kilometres in my car. The return journey is 10 kilometres.
I walk 10 kilometres nearly every day. Perhaps 4 times a week on average.
On 1st January it took 80 mins and I am now I mostly run and I am down to 60 mins.
My target is 50 mins. I should get there by June next year.
It only requires will power.

glo
11-30-2012, 04:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sammie
same here!!! tried counting calories but found it so tedious, also tried intermittent fasting but felt as though i was gaining instead of losing. I just want a flat stomach ahh if only.
Have you tried stomach exercises?
I find Yoga and Pilates useful (and relaxing) too.

Pure Purple
11-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Again bumping thread : D

I suggest investing in a digital kitchen scale so that you can weigh your food, that way it'll be more precise. its not that tedious after you get the hang of it, myfitnesspal helps a lot of course.
NO....NO..no need to invest money becoz at the end it won't be profitable.Half of the dieters gives up after a month.

islamica
11-30-2012, 02:28 PM
There is a very simple way to lose a good amount of weight.

-stop eating sweets and sugar, use honey whenever possible
-decrease the salt in-take
-don't eat 2-3hrs before bed
-don't eat junk food, including pop
-decrease your dinner portions
-walk 15-20 mins daily, powewalk if possible. one can even do this at home, walking back n forth in a room.

don't need to count calories or other diets. Just make the above changes and live as normal and this alone will make a difference.

جوري
11-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Again bumping thread : D

NO....NO..no need to invest money becoz at the end it won't be profitable.Half of the dieters gives up after a month.
It is useful for many things including making certain foods which require precise measurements (french macrons). Life is so much easier when you have everything down to a science even what you eat..

glo
11-30-2012, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamica
There is a very simple way to lose a good amount of weight.

-stop eating sweets and sugar, use honey whenever possible
-walk 15-20 mins daily, powewalk if possible. one can even do this at home, walking back n forth in a room.

don't need to count calories or other diets. Just make the above changes and live as normal and this alone will make a difference.
That's good sound advice.

I had gotten into the habit of having a glass of wine or two in the evening at the weekend. Not only does alcohol have a lot of calories, but it also makes me more likely to get 'the nibbles' and start eating things without being hungry.
Hence I have gained 7 lbs in the last 6 months or so - despite being quite an active person.
Two weeks ago I stopped drinking wine and I have lost 4 lbs since then!

(Of course, none of this helps my good Muslim friends here ... but I thought I'd share it anyway ;D)

Keep up the fight! :thumbs_up

sammie
11-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Have you tried stomach exercises?
I find Yoga and Pilates useful (and relaxing) too.
nope not tried these exercises yet I shall look to see if there are any classes at the local gym. Thank you for the suggestions. :D

Pure Purple
12-01-2012, 01:18 PM
stop eating sweets and sugar, use honey whenever possible
I sleep for 8hours + 3 hours=11 hours.
It's means fasting:skeleton:

stop eating sweets and sugar, use honey whenever possible
^o)If I'll give up these food,what will be left in life?

Hulk
12-01-2012, 01:41 PM
I suggest watching this video caleld Down Size Me on YouTube, its where this guy eats only mcdonalds for one whole month and actually loses weight. It is made in response to super size me. The idea is to show that it's not impossible to fit certain foods in your diet as long as you do it in moderation(with the right knowledge of nutrition). It's taken to an extreme in the video just to emphasize that point obviously lol.

islamica
12-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I sleep for 8hours + 3 hours=11 hours.
It's means fasting:skeleton:
It should be noted that sleeping more than the body needs will make one lazy in worship and will make one slow in thinking. Hence there are some sayings of the salaf which criticize sleeping too much.
Al-Fudayl ibn ‘Iyaad (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: There are two qualities that harden the heart: sleeping too much and eating too much.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: As for the five things that corrupt the heart, they are those that are referred to: mixing too much with people, wishful thinking, being attached to anything other than Allaah, eating one’s fill, and sleeping. These five are the greatest corrupters of the heart.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/96589/

^o)If I'll give up these food,what will be left in life?
a healthy body?

decrease your dinner portions
- “The son of Aadam does not fill any vessel worse than his stomach. It is sufficient for the son of Aadam to eat a few mouthfuls, to keep him going. If he must do that (fill his stomach), then let him fill one third with food, one third with drink and one third with air." Saheeh: Related by at-Tirmidhee (no. 1381)and Ibn Maajah (no. 3349).

decrease salt in take - animals eat lot of salt.
- salt gets absorbed in body cells and allows it to retain more water, there by make you all bloated like an air balloon.

don't eat sweets
- use honey for pancakes, bread, tea, etc.
- sugar will just add weight, including jelly
- desi sweets are just too much, one in a blue moon is ok
- other sweets (cake, chocolate, etc) should also be once in a blue moon
- firstly sweets are DESERTS to be enjoyed in small quantities, 2ndly if one can't handle that than do equal amount of workout for each sweet
don't eat junk food
- watch Super Size Me
- http://www.ehow.com/about_5374827_da...ast-foods.html

Endymion
12-01-2012, 02:08 PM
- desi sweets are just too much, one in a blue moon is ok
- other sweets (cake, chocolate, etc) should also be once in a blue moon
:-\

Do you accept bribe,doc :hmm:

جوري
12-01-2012, 02:15 PM
:haha: in fact I can't advocate denying oneself a treat. Problem is self-control.. most people who put a bit of inverted sugar in their mouth crave a ton more.. the secret is how to have one and stop..
When I was a kid I had this unnatural craving for pickles.. and I kept asking my mom for one more, just one more.. then she said enough.. I stole the jar and went to the bathroom and tried to have just one more but before I knew it I had the entire jar yes all 16094869486409 pickles inside then I put the empty jar full of pickle juice back on the shelf and tried hard to not act suspicious!

Pure Purple
12-01-2012, 02:25 PM
I suggest watching this video caleld Down Size Me on YouTube, its where this guy eats only mcdonalds for one whole month and actually loses weight. It is made in response to super size me. The idea is to show that it's not impossible to fit certain foods in your diet as long as you do it in moderation(with the right knowledge of nutrition). It's taken to an extreme in the video just to emphasize that point obviously lol.
I find this is interesting.I have seen this type of example.One of my college friend was brahmin hindu.She used to eat very less and hindu brahmins have very restriction in eating foods.
They don't eat non veg food
They Don't eat egg.
Underground veg and fruits,eg potatoes ,carrot,ginger etc and her weight was 90 up.

I think We should looked into prophetic manners of eating and drinking.
http://www.islamicvoice.com/august.2000/science.htm
http://www.organicfacts.net/nutritio...nd-barley.html

Endymion
12-01-2012, 02:26 PM
in fact I can't advocate denying oneself a treat.
Surprise Surprise surprise you'll have to take lots of calories tomorrow :D I can't keep it in my stomach anymore i'll spit it out any time :omg:

Pure Purple
12-01-2012, 02:32 PM
When I was a kid I had this unnatural craving for pickles.. and I kept asking my mom for one more, just one more.. then she said enough.. I stole the jar and went to the bathroom and tried to have just one more but before I knew it I had the entire jar yes all 16094869486409 pickles inside then I put the empty jar full of pickle juice back on the shelf and tried hard to not act suspicious!
ha ha....When mother brought Tamarind for mixing in sauce she hides it.LOL But I know where she is hiding.

pickles
My mouth is watering.

Pure Purple
12-01-2012, 02:40 PM
sister endy
How many calories dose this biryani has.It's impossible to calculate.

INFINITY ..........

islamica
12-01-2012, 11:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion

:-\

Do you accept bribe,doc :hmm:
Do you want results, girl? :)

I stole the jar and went to the bathroom and tried to have just one more but before I knew it I had the entire jar yes all 16094869486409 pickles inside then I put the empty jar full of pickle juice back on the shelf and tried hard to not act suspicious!
That's how kids grow up to be thieves or shop lifters, they can't handle "no" to their wants. just heads up to those with kids or future parents :)

but to eat in the bathroom with all those germs and jinns, eewww +o(

My mouth is watering

That's achar pickle, i doubt you can eat too much of that by itself.

Pickles she was talking about are usually like this in the west.

جوري
12-01-2012, 11:16 PM
That's how kids grow up to be thieves or shop lifters, they can't handle "no" to their wants. just heads up to those with kids or future parents

but to eat in the bathroom with all those germs and jinns, eewww
Al7mdullilah I didn't turn up a thief nor a shop lifter.. I think that's a terrible presumption!

islamica
12-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Al7mdullilah I didn't turn up a thief nor a shop lifter.. I think that's a terrible presumption!
you did great. And that is not always the case, but that's how some start out. just saying ...

sammie
12-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Hi does fasting help with weight loss? i mean fasting on monday and thursdays I know its part of the sunnah, but i would like to know if it helped with weight loss?

Hulk
12-02-2012, 01:35 AM
If you want to lose weight just eat less and exercise sis, if you fast yet eat a lot after your break fast you'll still gain weight.

sammie
12-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Hi does fasting help with weight loss? i mean fasting on monday and thursdays I know its part of the sunnah, but i would like to know if it helped with weight loss?

جوري
12-02-2012, 01:52 AM
fasting can only help if you restrict your caloric intake after you break fast.. from what I have observed the behavior of some Muslims during Ramadan is that they gain weight. I know you don't want to count calories but it is the only way!

CosmicPathos
12-02-2012, 02:00 AM
terrible or good presumptions, we all make presumptions. Why is it terrible just because the outcome is bad? It happens, too often actually.

That being said, I am off my workout schedule (internal med!). I am currently reading about exploits of genghis khan to motivate myself to go back to the gym.

eat small portions, 6-7 times a day. eat 70% protein, 10% sugar, 20% fat in each meal. Run, swim, and lift weights. Every singly day of your life.

I watch this video every morning to motivate myself. Watch this!

جوري
12-02-2012, 02:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
terrible or good presumptions, we all make presumptions. Why is it terrible just because the outcome is bad?
It was terrible because it came across generalizing and followed my post where I admitted to having taken something I wasn't supposed to and with that the natural outcome are thieves and shoplifters!
People or in this case children have a chance to reform you know!

CosmicPathos
12-02-2012, 02:17 AM
generalizing
we humans generalize all the time. Generalizing helps us make sense of world.

But I am glad that you are not a shop-lifter. I dont think sister was pointing to you at all.

جوري
12-02-2012, 02:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
I dont think sister was pointing to you at all.
I am not making an issue of anything the dear sister said.. I don't even think she noticed the implication...

islamica
12-02-2012, 02:36 AM
The thing with online is that anything could be taken the wrong way, whether intentionally or unintentionally. It was one of the moments that upon hearing her story, one would say "on that topic,..." or "speaking of that ..." etc, it was not directed at her in any way or fashion. Just that it was an opportunity to remind others how some people in the world go the wrong path because of mistakes made in childhood, and the importance of better teaching our kids rather then just yelling at them if they get caught, which is the often the case.

Hulk
12-02-2012, 02:47 AM
Sis Sammie this video is quite useful if you want to try using MyFitnessPal to monitor your food intake. While it may seem "troublesome" I find that it is the easiest way to lose weight because it allows your diet to be flexible as opposed to restricting yourself to only certain foods etc. Keep in mind that a healthy diet is a lifestyle not a temporary thing.

I suggest that you try it at least for a week to see if it works well for you.

Feel free to ask any more questions I'm sure many here are happy to answer In Shaa Allah!

sammie
12-02-2012, 02:02 PM
I think im going to try and count calories starting from today and see how i get on with that, also will try and fast mon + thursdays.

shere0901
01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Whose are pray five times accurately, I think they do not need any medicine for improve health. because sunnah is the most important for medical because a Muslim who abide by the rule of Allah, he less victim to the ill. Allah helps them all time whose are follow the sunnah of Prophet Mohammad (SW).

Muhaba
02-01-2013, 09:54 AM
weight gain and excessive eating has a lot to do with a person's circumstances / past. Alot of obese people have suffered because of loved ones. that's why divorcees and children abandoned by parents are more overweight than people with healthy marriages / both parents, etc.

eating at times becomes something that one takes comfort in. At other times, when a person can't get their goals accomplished, they crave food and overeat, possibly seeing food as a goal so eating satisfies the mind. This is proven by the pyramid of human needs, where when a person can't achieve a higher goal, they turn to a lower goal on the pyramid and work on that, despite the fact that that's been already acheived.

So prayer really may not make one lower their eating or live healthily but fear of Allah definately will. Overeating is an extravagance - we are told not to overindulge or be extravagant - and so the one who fears Allah's accounting will eat less. Another thing is that we also need to think of others. Money spent on food that's wasted through overeating could be spent on charity. So The next time you sit down to eat (or go shopping), take a portion of the food and give it in charity. You'll be healthy here as well as have rewards for being charitable in-sha-Allah!

lynn4now
02-04-2013, 02:52 AM
Join a martial arts class and go three times a week if it is a good program it will be fun and you will lose weight me personal I was at the dou-jang at least three times a week with a no bread no eating after 7 diet and I lost 25-30 pounds in 6 weeks the dedication is the problem lol its hard

Muhaba
02-04-2013, 02:38 PM
i enjoy long walks in the cool breeze. walking is about the best form of exercise. it is also very calming.

YusufNoor
02-04-2013, 03:43 PM

i haven't read the whole thread, but i thought i'd put my 2 cents in. if you live in the US, the food is loaded with poisons and chemicals. corn syrup being one of the worst offenders along with artificial sweeteners. i was near diabetic, so i did some research (you know, looking stuff up online :p). the results were startling.

1st thing that i looked at was the toxic poison fluoride which is put in the water in most cities (you know, where poor people and minorities live). the fluoride put inot the water is not pharmaceutical grade, it is the toxic chemical waste from phosphate fertilizer manufacturing. it is poison, yet you never hear anyone say it is haraam to drink. prozac is a 94% fluoride compound. think about it. they aren't the same, but similar. fluoride destroys parts of your brain, it can reduce your IQ by 20 points!!! try to remove fluoride from your diet.

aspartame was 2nd on the list. as i was trying to avoid sugar, guess what i bought??? :embarrass turns out aspartame is another toxin. it is in many, many foods and soft drinks. it also triggers something in your brain that makes you think you are still hungry.

GMOs...next up was GMOs. in the US, they are everywhere! their safety is in doubt, though you hear some people, even Muslims, who have relationships with GMO producing companies, Monsanto, Dow, claim they are perfectly safe. don't be persuaded. the corn in corn syrup is GMO. the soy in soy products is GMO. the vast majority of "diet" or "healthy" foods in the US contain GMO. go organic if you can, local and natural at a minimum.

i changed my diet to organic eggs and organic bread, but high yield dwarf wheat is problematic. i eat organic lentils with rice and peppers. i drink filtered water, tea and coffee using organic, non BGH, milk and stevia for sweetener. i am not saying stevia tastes great, it is just one of the few safe alternatives.

in less than 4 months, i lost 35 lbs! this is just by removing poisons from my diet. no more "packaged" food, eat actual food. turn off you TV too. "advertising" is propaganda, it was created as such. it's main purpose is to sell you crap you don't need.

i won't bore you with links and vids unless someone is interested.

ma salaama

YusufNoor
02-04-2013, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lynn4now
Join a martial arts class and go three times a week if it is a good program it will be fun and you will lose weight me personal I was at the dou-jang at least three times a week with a no bread no eating after 7 diet and I lost 25-30 pounds in 6 weeks the dedication is the problem lol its hard

actually, just removing the bread can help you lose wheat. the high yield semi dwarf wheat is an accidental toxin. from Dr Davis' website:

But chief among the changes in wheat were changes in the gliadin protein molecule. We know, for instance, that the Glia-alpha 9 sequence, absent from traditional wheat, can be found in virtually all modern wheat. This is likely the explanation underlying the four-fold increase in celiac disease over the past 50 years, since Glia-alpha 9 predictably triggers the immune reaction that leads to the intestinal destruction characteristic of celiac disease.

But modern wheat also stimulates appetite . . . not a little, but a lot. The introduction of modern high-yield, semi-dwarf wheat was accompanied by an abrupt increase in calorie consumption of 440 calories per day, 365 days per year. This is because modern gliadin in wheat is an opiate. But this opiate doesn’t cause a “high” like heroine; it causes appetite stimulation.
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/0...lowers-wanted/

ma salaama

Muhaba
02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
^
^^Jazak-Allaho khairan for sharing the info. It's so true that media makes you buy things you don't need. It also works to brainswash people. It's made to make people think the way the media controllers want. subhan-Allah! Just think. When there is an election and seculirists win, if muslims voice against it, they are labeled as anti-democracy etc. But when muslims win an election and referandum, like in Egypt where the Muslim brotherhood first won the election and then the referandum got votes in favor of the new Islamic constitution, then the seculerists started protesting and rioting causing so much trouble. But where is majority rule in Egypt? secularists lost the election and the referandum but they are sore-losers and instead of accepting defeat, they are now not accepting democratic results. so what does that show? And then the media describes the secularists as heros and victims trying to get what is thier right while the Muslims of Egypt and the Muslim Brotherhood are depicted as the wrongdoers!!! talk about double-standards.

i wrote an article about media:
What the Media is Doing to You

Lies. Deception. … you name it.

The media is out to get you. It is the enemy and it is important to see it that way if you want to save yourself and your family.

There are several agendas that the media is trying to accomplish. One of them is getting your hard-earned money. By constantly bombarding you with advertisements of new and constantly changing products, it aims to make you purchase those things and keep purchasing them whether you need them or not. This way you keep spending money, buying things you hardly need and replacing well-working things with newer brands and newer designs. Just think of how much money you spend shopping each month? And how many products you buy which you don’t absolutely need?

Another agenda of the media is changing your values. Whether they are religious, cultural, or human values, such as honesty, piety, and morality, the media is changing them through the characters on TV and in advertisements. Think of the programs you watch and what type of values are depicted therein. Are they showing honesty, loyalty, generosity and sympathy or immorality, infidelity, apathy, and violence? And how is that affecting you and especially the younger generation? What kind of values are media programs placing in their minds?

A third agenda is changing your culture and imposing their culture on you and your loved ones. By showing Western culture in movies, media is spreading that culture especially amongst young ones. How many people today dress, talk, and act like the people they watch on TV?

These are some of the things the media is doing, causing the destruction of society and of religious and cultural values.

Saving Yourself from the Effects of the media:

The first step to protecting yourself from the effects of media is by becoming informed. Knowing what the media is doing and what their agenda is behind the information that they spread will make you aware. This will keep you from falling into their trap.

Another thing to do is to immerse yourself in Islamic knowledge, especially knowledge of the Quran, that is, the commentary of the Quran. This will make you wiser and more aware. Because the Quran is the criterion, it will help you get deep insight into whatever the media is presenting you with.

Finally it is most important to pray to Allah for protection.

Once you are armed with these, you will be considerably safe from being brainwashed by media.
http://www.facebook.com/Viewsnet?ref=hl

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
02-05-2013, 01:34 PM
so, who on this thread has actually lost weight and stuck to their goals?

just wondering...

- cOsMiC

Hulk
02-05-2013, 02:07 PM
I've made some progress with a few bumps along the way, the goal however is to simply have a healthy lifestyle which will last for a long time InshaAllah. What bout u sistor

Muhaba
02-05-2013, 02:22 PM
^Not me. i've gained some weight the past couple of months. and haven't been exercising as much.

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
02-05-2013, 03:08 PM
What bout u sistor
Alhamdullilah yes I have. Between June of 2012 and January 2013 I've dropped 60lbs.

I asked what I did because I find it amusing and kind of annoying how people who have not really walked a certain path like to comment and advise on it. You see, weightloss is not the same for everybody. For the person trying to drop 10lbs the rules are different than for someone who has been morbidly obese in the 200lb+ arena. Hit the gym & Calories in calories out is not necessarily so, definitely not for the huge people we see sometimes. You don't get that big by simply stuffing ur face.

I have been on my way down since 2009 actually, slow and steady wins the race. I have learned alot and the biggest jump in weight was the last few months because in the last few years I have been working on habits, not just eating habits. I gathered my tools to make my break so to speak , and it did take that long. Being overweight is much MUCH more than simply being inactive.

Most people who diet an exercise wind up gaining it back for a reason and it isn't simply laziness lol. Yet the continue most of their lives in a yo-yo until they get old and then just blame old age for their bad physical state, never really questioning why.

Just my two cents. I have been reading this thread for a while just didn't feel I had the right words to add.

- cOsMiC

Hulk
02-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Sis Cosmicintuition congratulations on your weight loss, keep it up! I believe a lot of people "go back to their old ways" simply because the "diet" they are on is unnecessarily restricting them from the foods that they want to eat.

Jalal~
02-06-2013, 07:14 PM
just to help out with the lose weight process, i recommend total cereal. it has all the vitamins and minerals you want. but beware, you may start disliking its taste after a few days

jeeven
02-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Weight gaining is the most common problem of the world both women and men suffering this diseases fat will destroy the natural beauty. Here are some tips for weight lossing:
1.Find out how many calories you need
2.Eat fruits and vegetable everyday
3.Watch for portion size
4.Do not skip meals
5.Eat healthy and fresh food
6.Do not overly restrictive
7.Understand food claims and labels

islamica
02-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Check out the Juicing diet.

Muhaba
02-16-2013, 09:03 AM
eat a light dinner. and eat less overall but more raw vegetables and fresh fruits. lower caffiene drinks to a minimum. if you're drinking tea/coffee more than twice daily it's too much. there have been some recent reports about caffinated soda drinks being responsible for the death of some ppl. and contrary to popular belief, these things are addictive.

muslimah bird
02-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Reducing the calories in the dinner helps .eat breakfast like a king and moderate lunch

Cabdullahi
02-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Women should not lose weight! if they are in the 60kg to 80kg category.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!