/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are you making the most of your time?

Re.TiReD
11-23-2010, 11:02 PM
AssalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu =D

I hopee you're alll doing well insha'Allah, it's been a long time since I've posted properly. Regarding the thread title, do you think you are making the most of your time? Every second, each minute? I'm just asking because life for me now is all about cramming something into every moment. I wish I had the time I used to have, just to laze about and do nothing, and this is time many of you DO have, if you're inbetween jobs maybe, or have finished school, college or a degree, we allow ourselves periods of unproductivity at times and it is SUCH a waste of life, if only I could take the hours people spend watching useless things on TV and engaging in idle gossip and add them to my life so I'd get more time in my day, but unfortunately it doesnt work like that, just want to leave with some quotes insha'Allah, and a reminder to please use your time wisely.

Collected in the abridged version of al-Khatib al-Baghdadi's 'Iqtida' al-'Ilm al-'Amal' (p. 43-47), in the chapter titled 'Rushing to Deeds Before One's Youth and Health Disappear':

1 - Ghunaym bin Qays said:

"We would be admonished in the early days of Islam:

'O son of Adam! Act during your free time before you become busy, and during your youth before your old age, and during your health before your sickness, and during your stay in this world before the Hereafter, and during your life before your death.'"

2 - Ahmad bin Muhammad bin Masruq at-Tusi said:

"I recited to Mahmud bin al-Hasan:

Utilize your youth before it becomes spoiled * And the health of your body before it becomes sick;

And the days of your life before you die * For the one who lives will not live long;

And utilize your free time * Let your nights be spent in some work;

And put something forth, as every man is travelling towards * That which he has put forth...

3 - 'Abdullah bin al-Mubarak said:

Take advantage of two rak'at to bring you closer to Allah * If you happen to be relaxing;

And if you intend to speak a vain word * Replace it with a tasbih...

4 - Abu Muhammad Mansur bin Muhammad bin 'Abdullah al-Azdi chanted to himself:

Do not belittle an hour that can help you * In which you extend your hand in obedience;

As the living will die, and hopes are a deception * And the affair passes by hour by hour...

5 - Abu 'Abdillah Ahmad bin Ayyub chanted to himself:

In your free time, take advantage of the virtue of bowing in prayer * It might be that your death comes suddenly;

How many healthy ones have you seen without disease * Whose healthy selves disappeared and escaped them...

6 - Abu al-Walid Sulayman bin Khalaf bin Sa'd al-Andalusi chanted to himself:

If I knew for certain * That my entire life would last an hour;

Why would I be cheap with it * And not dedicate it to righteousness and obedience?

7 - Some of the scholars said:

"A group of people invited a man for some food on an extremely hot day. So, he said: "I am fasting."

They said: "On a day like this?!"

He said: "Do you want me to waste my days?""

8 - Abu Bakr bin Abi ad-Dunya said:

"A group of people invited a man for some food. So, he said: "I am fasting."

They said: "Break your fast today, and fast tomorrow."

He said: "And who will be there for me tomorrow?""

9 - 'Abdullah bin al-Mu'taz said:

"Seize the opportunity today, and do not wait for tomorrow, as there is nobody to guarantee tomorrow for you."

10 - One of Dawud at-Ta'i's brothers said to him:

"O Abu Sulayman! You know the kinship between us. So, advise me!"

So, his eyes began to water, and he said: "My brother! Indeed, the night and day are stages that the people pass through - one stage at a time - until they reach the end of their journey. So, if you are able to put forth for every day some provision for each stage, do so. And if your journey is cut short, prepare for your journey what you can, and fulfill what you are able of this affair, because it is as if its end will catch you by surprise. I do not know anyone who is more wasteful in this affair than I am."

He then got up and left."

11 - 'Umar bin Muhammad bin Ahmad recited:

You are in a state of heedlessness and false hope * You do now know when your end will come;

Do not be deceived by good health * For it is from the most painful of flaws;

Every soul has for its day * An awakening to cut off its incessant hope;

So, do that which is good and exert yourself * Before you are unable to do anything...

12 - 'Abdullah bin Muhammad al-Ash'ari al-Madini recited:

If yesterday you fell into a mistake * Then find some good to perform while you are thankful;

And do not delay a good deed from today to tomorrow * Tomorrow might arrive while you are deprived;

Because if you take care of today, it will benefit you * And days gone by will never return...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hayaa
11-24-2010, 05:21 AM
:sl: sis, that's a wonderful and constantly needed reminder. I was reading a story about this pious man who realized that in the time it took him to eat barley bread, he could've recited dhikr for so many times and after that day he would just consume it as powder so as to put the saved time in worshipping Allaah. SubhanAllaah..

tigerkhan
11-24-2010, 06:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hayaa
was reading a story about this pious man who realized that in the time it took him to eat barley bread, he could've recited dhikr for so many times and after that day he would just consume it as powder so as to put the saved time in worshipping Allaah. SubhanAllaah..
i also heard this many time. its natural and human nature, everyone want to earn and gain more..but i think the most wise in this sense are Suhaba RA. they are now in qabur but still they are getting reward of all our ammal/good deeds bcz they are ones who spread islam all over the world. i am not saying that we all leave zikr but if we make zikar all our life all the time, as we die the reward will be closed. to me what appeal more is BALANCE btw everything and the great example of it was Prophet PBUH and HIS Suhaba RA. at same time they are Zakir, Aalim, Talib-e-ilm, Dayee, Mujahid, Good Ahlaq. so i personally want we should more leran about Suhaba RA life and try ourself to be on their way. i hope if so our TIME will not be wasted.

Yassouid
11-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Great post sister.

No one knows whether or not when they sleep at night they will wake up the next morning, and Allahu A'lam we could wake up any day to go about our morning routine only to find that the sun has risen from the west and that it is too late to repent our sins.

Abu-Musa Al-Ashari narrated that the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said, "Verily Allah extends his hand at night so that the sinners of the day may repent and verily extends his hand during the day so that the sinners of the night may repent, (He will keep on doing this) as long as the sun does not rise from the West." ( Sahih Muslim)

We should all make the best of the time we have now.

Just as a reminder:

Narated By Abu Musa : The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, "A time will come upon the people when a person will wander about with gold as Zakat and will not find anybody to accept it, and one man will be seen followed by forty women to be their guardian because of scarcity of men and great number of women."

So we should all try to give our zakat as soon as possible.

Sorry for the long reply, I know this doesn't have a direct correlation with the OP's message, but i think the ideas go hand-in-hand.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!