/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do some Muslims become vegetarians?

Muhaba
11-25-2010, 07:53 AM
This thread is for those who are vegetarians. I've been wondering why muslims become vegetarians. If they become vegetarians do they totally stop eating meat forever like it's haram or do eat it once in a while like on eid, etc. If you've totally stopped eating meat, what is the reason for that? Also, how can you be sure you aren't making a halal thing haram on yourself, which is not allowed islamically (See Surah Tahrim where Allah instructed the Prophet SAW to break his vow of not eating honey.) I mean, if you really feel like eating meat but won't eat it because you have chosen to be a vegetarian, doesn't that mean you've made it haram?

Please reply as i really want to understand why a muslim would become a vegetarian.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tigerkhan
11-25-2010, 03:07 PM
:sl:
Alhumdullaih i eat everything which is Halal. rather i say in past i never like to eat vegitables...only meat and rice. but now Alhumdulliah even i like....i mean kaddu tenda..haha
i dont think there is some reason one leave eating meat. are there some ???

Ansariyah
11-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Just because someone chooses to become a vegetarian doesn't mean they are making meat haram for themselves. Nor is it 'unIslamic' to be vegetarian. Ive been a vegeterian for 2 years...am not anymore.

sister herb
11-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Maybe they just like vegetables more than meat or feel it is better for they health to eat just vegetables. ArenĀ“t those most common reason why people prefer to eat something?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
أحمد
11-25-2010, 04:18 PM
:sl:

People have a number of reasons for turning to vegetarianism; by no means limited to the few listed below:

# They feel its more healthy (lower cholesterol and saturated fats)
# They think its more humane (not harming animals)
# They find it difficult to digest meat
# They have a phobia of meat
# Halal meat is uncommon where they live
# Meat is too expensive

:wa:

manaal
11-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Brothers Sabr* and Woodrow need to be here.

M.I.A.
11-25-2010, 09:22 PM
red meat makes me sick, actually nearly puked the last time i tried it.
i eat most other things though.

Hamza Asadullah
11-26-2010, 01:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
This thread is for those who are vegetarians. I've been wondering why muslims become vegetarians. If they become vegetarians do they totally stop eating meat forever like it's haram or do eat it once in a while like on eid, etc. If you've totally stopped eating meat, what is the reason for that? Also, how can you be sure you aren't making a halal thing haram on yourself, which is not allowed islamically (See Surah Tahrim where Allah instructed the Prophet SAW to break his vow of not eating honey.) I mean, if you really feel like eating meat but won't eat it because you have chosen to be a vegetarian, doesn't that mean you've made it haram?

Please reply as i really want to understand why a muslim would become a vegetarian.
Asalaamu Alaikum, Islamically being a vegitarean is permissable as long as:

They do NOT believe that eating meat is wrong

They must NOT believe that slaughtering animals is wrong or cruel

If they believe any of the points mentioned then they are going against the Qur'an and Sunnah. If a person does not believe in the two points mentioned then they can stay away from meat that is not a problem as there would be nothing un-Islamic in doing so. Having said that it will still be necessery for a person who can afford it to give Qurbani during dhul Hijjah as this is a very rewarding and emphasised act which is also mentioned in the Qur'an.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Woodrow
11-26-2010, 02:13 AM
:wa:

Although I am vegetarian most of the year, it is not by choice. Halal meat is not available in most of the Dakotas. This is a very rural region and the closest real city is over 100 miles from me. the Muslim population is so small it is not feasible for any grocery store there to carry halal meat as there are probably only 100-200 Muslims within 100 miles of Bismarck (The closest city to me, although it is a small city by most standards) The one or 2 Muslim owned stores there only carry a small quantity of meat on occasion.

Most of the year Halal meat is not available to me or most of the other Muslims who live in the North Central Plains.

coolhaseena786
11-26-2010, 07:10 AM
I do eat meat occasionally but not often...I'm not a pure veggie...I've stopped eating meat occasionally due to high cholesterol and saturated fat it has because my mom has had a mild heart attack 6yrs ago and my baby sis was born with a heart condition so I've decided to feed them healthy food...the only meat we eat are Halal Chicken most of the time, no red meat...on bakra eid, we do eat goat...very little of the times we eat fish and shrimps...since we live here in America, they don't sell prawns here so that's why my mom prefers shrimp.

Muhaba
11-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Thank you all for the replies. so those who are vegetarians, don't you miss eating meat? I mean, isn't it boring to eat just vegetables? I really couldn't live a life without meat altogether.

Woodrow
11-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Thank you all for the replies. so those who are vegetarians, don't you miss eating meat? I mean, isn't it boring to eat just vegetables? I really couldn't live a life without meat altogether.
Actually I do miss meat and wish I could have it more often. But I don't miss it enough to go out and buy the non-halal meat that is in abundance and low price here. Fortunately there is plenty of fresh water fish like trout, and walleye available here along with land locked Salmon. I do prefer Salt water fish like Halibut and Turbot. But fresh salmon cooked with dill is quite good. Also tofu is very low cost here and available year round. I have become quite good at making tofu look and taste like smoked beef and other meats. I make a really fantastic veggie burger that most people never realize is not meat

coolhaseena786
11-26-2010, 10:52 PM
No, I don't miss eating meat because I don't know why I never liked eating meat ever since I was a child. I'm not a strict vegetarian though. I've heard most Muslim meat stores don't sell halal meat here in America, I don't want to bother risk eating haram meat instead of halal so that's why I buy meat from an Arabic store but on Bakra Eid, I always do eat meat. I enjoy eating the boneless chicken more than anything else because it's yummy. In a year, I think I eat chicken couple to several times.

Muhaba
11-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Where are the real vegetarians who chose to become vegetarians for reasons other than not beiong able to find halal meat?

Brother Woodrow, why don't you slaughter an animal yourself? or have one slaughtered and put the meat in freezer for use later.

Woodrow
12-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Where are the real vegetarians who chose to become vegetarians for reasons other than not beiong able to find halal meat?

Brother Woodrow, why don't you slaughter an animal yourself? or have one slaughtered and put the meat in freezer for use later.
We tried that last year and it came out to be a disaster. It is difficult to buy a single cow up here. Most of them are raised on Commercial corporate Ranches that are either under contract to the big meat producers like, Armour, Tyson, Hormel etc and will not sell to an individual. the independent ranchers prefer to sell at auction usually in lots of 100 cows. I finally found a person willing to sell me a l single live cow at $5 per pound. The darn cow weighed over 400 pounds. Then I found out if I was going to share with another person besides immediate family I needed to get a processing permit before I could slaughter it. That cost more than a few dollars. Next had to pay a disposing fee for the unusable parts of the cow. I ended up with about 150 pounds of usable meat and could only fit 75 pounds of it in my freezer. I could not find anybody to buy the rest of the meat soon enough to keep it from spoiling and gave the left over meat to the Rez. It was an expensive venture and the meat I was able to use was not worth what it cost me.

We do want to get a bigger place where we can raise a few goats and chickens. That may be feasible.

It does not look like we could raise any meat animals that are larger than goats. Right now a good bit of our income is based on the horses so we can't afford to get rid of them to raise home grown meat and to get a place large enough to raise meat animals for resale is not an option.

Snow
03-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Different reasons, obviously.
I chose it for the moral one. I don't need animals to die for me to live.

hisnameiszzz
03-10-2016, 09:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
Asalaamu Alaikum, Islamically being a vegitarean is permissable as long as:

They do NOT believe that eating meat is wrong

They must NOT believe that slaughtering animals is wrong or cruel.
Hmm. Looks like the reasons for me being vegetarian are wrong then. I just think it's wrong killing animals.

This is going to sound really silly, but say for example, they cut a cow called Moo Moo in a farm today. Don't cows have families? Won't Moo Moo's Mom be looking for her and worrying and then getting really sad when Moo Moo doesn't come home? Or do animals not have families as such? Sorry, I am twilight zone right now (have nasty neighbours does drive you potty!).

But I do eat fish which I guess make me a complete hypocrite because the fish's Mom might be looking for it also once it's been caught and taken out of the sea.

I've lost the plot! I give up. LOL. :hiding::hiding::hiding::hiding::hiding:

Insaanah
03-10-2016, 10:03 PM
Animals are blessings and of the good things provided by Allah for our benefit:

Do they not see that We have created for them from what Our hands have made, grazing livestock, and [then] they are their owners? And We have tamed them for them, so some of them they ride, and some of them they eat. And for them therein are [other] benefits and drinks, so will they not be grateful? (36:71-73)

And indeed, for you in livestock is a lesson. We give you drink from that which is in their bellies, and for you in them are numerous benefits, and from them you eat. And upon them and on ships you are carried. (23:21-22)

It is Allah who made for you the grazing animals upon which you ride, and some of them you eat. And for you therein are [other] benefits and that you may realize upon them a need which is in your breasts; and upon them and upon ships you are carried. And He shows you His signs. So which of the signs of Allah do you deny? (40:79-81)

We must treat them kindly at all times, including slaughter.

Our father Ibrahim alayhissalaam also ate meat and gave it as food to guests, yet he is described by Allah as awwaahun haleem:

And certainly did Our messengers come to Abraham with good tidings; they said, "Peace." He said, "Peace," and did not delay in bringing [them] a roasted calf. (11:69)

Then he went to his family and came with a fat [roasted] calf (51:26)

Awaahun is variously translated as compassionate, soft of heart, tender-hearted.

He is mentioned in the Qur'an as an example: "There has already been for you an excellent pattern in Abraham and those with him..." (60:4, part)

So, if we think we are being kind and good by not eating animals, or that it's morally wrong to eat an animal, then we've actually got it wrong, and are denying ourselves one of the blessings of Allah, because the prophets were examples of moderation and balance and kindness.

hisnameiszzz, we can't treat animals exactly the same way as a human. I think they get over things quicker, forget quicker etc. Allah knows best.

M.I.A.
03-10-2016, 10:25 PM
Our personal preference are like most things..

Debatable.

Some people have a reason, some people have several.

Some reasons are rational, some irrational and some very personal..although probably still irrational.

What's your favourite food? ..a hadith auta be good about now.

The distinction between what is halal and haram have already been made, personal preference is exactly that.

To be fair I very rarely eat red meat unless it's a kebab or burger..

Although I'm very picky about both.. But if I'm at a subway I always order tuna?

..brings new light to the question... Is nandos haram :p

Em..because they only do chicken

noraina
04-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Assalamu Alaykum,

I am a vegetarian - and I do enjoy eating meat and it is one of the blessings Allah SWT has given us upon this earth, however I don't eat it because I believe the way animals are treated in the modern mass-market is wrong.

In the time of the Prophets (AS) and until quite recently animals were treated well right up until their death, given land to roam in and healthy, natural food to eat and allowed to perform the natural behaviours Allah had created them to perform. This is purely a personal decision but with the battery farming of chickens and mistreatment of animals in the food industry I couldn't bring myself to eat meat anymore. I am a sensitive person :D, more than others, but I feel this was the right decision for me.

If I ever moved somewhere where there was a halal, organic Muslim farm where the animals were allowed to free range on the fields and consume grass and fruits and were treated well I'd eat a fifteen-course meal of just meat lol but that ain't happening any time soon so I am a vegetarian for now.

And btw I've always loved my vegetables, Alhamdulillah :)

M.I.A.
04-06-2016, 02:43 PM
:)

...wow, six years makes a difference.. Doesn't even sound like me..

Didn't realise how old the thread was.

https://ilookilisten.wordpress.com/2...adith-no-1800/

...warning I cannot vouch for the validity as I am a layman.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!