/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Snow!

glo
11-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Are any of you affected by the very early snow fall we are having here in the UK?
Here are some beautiful pictures:

Sorry about the size, here is the link to the site.

(Now I am waiting for Woodrow to tell us what real snow looks like! :D)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Raaina
11-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Not hit us in the midlands yet. But i'm sure it is on its way. Its cold enough!!!

~Raindrop~
11-26-2010, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Raaina
Not hit us in the midlands yet. But i'm sure it is on its way. Its cold enough!!!
You're right, it's freezing. We're always different when it comes to snow :-\

I love it when it's all fresh and powdery, but when it settles it looks yucky.

glo
11-26-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm a little further south, and we are snow-free so far too - although we may get some snow through the night.
I don't mind the snow, as long as I don't have to drive in it!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Raindrop~
11-26-2010, 04:17 PM
That snow's just asking to be rolled in! =D

Amoeba
11-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Much of Central/East Scotland is snow-free for now. There was a few snowdrops during the night, but after it had finished the ground was still almost completely dry.

Hoping to get some soon, the snow really brightens up a dark winter.

Woodrow
11-26-2010, 05:19 PM
So far we have been having an unusually mild winter. We did not have our first blizzard until Oct 27-28 and then we had a few days of warm weather and it all melted. This week it started snowing last Saturday and has been snowing every day but the weather unit today was extremely cold and the snow was tiny ice crystals that blew off ot the flat surfaces, but on Sunday I did take a few pictures. Here they are:

It is still snowing, but the temperature is warmer and now the snowflakes are bigger, moister and fluffier so we should get a good accumulation. I'll try to take more pictures today or tomorrow we expect the current snow storm to last at least 2 or 3 more days.

sister herb
11-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Last night at north Finland was -30 of celcius. Wind comes here from North Pole via Siberia.

Freezing...

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-26-2010, 05:42 PM
We too had early snow fall here, it was so severe that my camera didn't survive to take the pictures, even I suffered from hypothermia. ;D;D;D

LOL JK

Ğħαrєєвαħ
11-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Assalaamu`alaaykum

its been freeezing here lately, and snowed a few flakes but not enough to cover the ground and make it look like it has a beautiful white blanket!

But yeah insha`Allaah it will be snowing here soon, as the weather is becoming cold.

At brother Woodrow@ Do the Horses feel cold, or is the furr coat of the Horse thick enough to protect it? and the pictures were awesome masha`Allaah, jazakallaahu khaayr for sharing.

Have a geeky snowy winter everyone! :-\

Wa`alaaykum salaam

$tranger
11-26-2010, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Ya7ya
This one looks so cool :><: :

u dont know what snow is :-\

Muslimah99
11-26-2010, 06:33 PM
I wish it would snow where I live... it usually snows by this time of the year.

A'râf
11-26-2010, 08:19 PM

:)

Woodrow
11-26-2010, 08:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
Assalaamu`alaaykum

At brother Woodrow@ Do the Horses feel cold, or is the furr coat of the Horse thick enough to protect it? and the pictures were awesome masha`Allaah, jazakallaahu khaayr for sharing.
:wa:

The horses depend on high calorie food and a build up of fat on their bodies to protect them from the cold. This time of year they are quite expensive to feed. It costs from $10 to $25 per day to feed the stabled horse they each get from 5-15 pounds of sweet mix and 20 -40 pounds of mixed grains Daily depending on the size of the horse. The Range Horses have ample grazing forage and they get about 4 tons (8,000 pounds) 350 pounds per horse of hay per week to feed. The hay costs about $20 per ton.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
11-26-2010, 09:54 PM
^Subhaan`Allaah that seems a lot, but that is amazing, hope your Horses survive uncle Woodrow!

And @ A'râf -That is some amazing snow you got there subhaan`Allaah

It snows only like 1 foot or a half a foot here or something and it feels like its snowed loads :-\

Snow is soo white!

glo
11-27-2010, 06:32 AM
We've had a dusting of snow overnight. How about anybody else?

~Raindrop~
11-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Same here :D
It's settled on the rooftops only, looks sooo pretty mashaAllah! =D

Yanal
11-27-2010, 07:28 AM
We had snow here,a couple of days ago. Although todays rain showers have washed them away,if it snows again i will hopefully remember to take photographs of it and upload them,insha'Allaah.

glo
11-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Well, all we got was a dusting of snow - but enough to motivate me to go out for an early morning walk with the camera.

What's unusual is that the leaves were quite late falling this year, and then we got this early snow - so it's a strange combination of autumn leaves and winter snow ...
The blowing leaves left their dark patterns in the fresh dusting of snow:

The berries are also still on the trees (in this case rosehips):

The sheep don't look too bothered:

$tranger
12-17-2010, 05:34 PM
here is comes again..... :-\

sister herb
12-17-2010, 06:11 PM
People in north snow isn´t big deal. It comes every year. It is annoying. It is nice. It is beautiful.

We just have to accept it here.

It comes from Allah.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-17-2010, 06:44 PM
I like snow!

masha`Allaah i think its coming back again, as it had all cleared up. Cant wait to see a white blanket over the roofs and streets etc. just amazing!

SafaAuditore
12-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Heck yeas! Three feet up here! It's sooo beautiful, and the christmas decorations make it even prettier !

sister herb
12-17-2010, 09:34 PM
I like to make snow lantern and put light of candle in it.

It is more beautiful than those electric lights.

Sigma
12-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Only a little snow down here in London

Amoeba
12-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Edinburgh is avoiding it. Freezing cold (-3 apparently feels much colder), but clear skies.

Woodrow
12-17-2010, 10:17 PM
For some reason we have been having a very warm winter. So far we have had very few days in which the temperature has gotten more then 10 degrees below zero and the coldest night so far has only been -23. Not much snow either although we have had a lot of ice storms.

I had been planning on getting a lot of nice snow pictures this year. But so far this winter has been a disappointment in terms of snow. Oddly 225 miles east of us in Fargo they have been having an unusually large amount of snow.

ChargerCarl
12-17-2010, 11:17 PM
No snow in Los Angeles :shade:

أحمد
12-17-2010, 11:21 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
For some reason we have been having a very warm winter. So far we have had very few days in which the temperature has gotten more then 10 degrees below zero and the coldest night so far has only been -23. Not much snow either although we have had a lot of ice storms.

I had been planning on getting a lot of nice snow pictures this year. But so far this winter has been a disappointment in terms of snow. Oddly 225 miles east of us in Fargo they have been having an unusually large amount of snow.
-2 feels "extremely cold" here; its not easy imagining having to live in "near arctic conditions".

سبحان الله

أحمد
12-19-2010, 02:38 AM

Snow has reached a foot and a half, and the temperature dropped to -18°C for a few hours. Now its gone up to -12°C; its much colder than last year- at least for December. Usually, the colder weather kicks in- in early January.

Woodrow
12-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Still not much in snow, but getting some nice pictures of Frost "Paintings" on the bedroom window almost every morning.

Grace Seeker
12-20-2010, 03:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by أحمد

-2 feels "extremely cold" here; its not easy imagining having to live in "near arctic conditions".

سبحان الله

Bad as Woodrow has it at times, I don't think even Dakota winters would equal what Sister Harb has to put up with in Finland. Would anyone believe that the kids here in southern Illinois only had 1 day of school all last week. Last Monday and Tuesday were cancelled because of the first snowfall of the winter -- a grand total of 2 inches. And early Thursday morning we had sleet and freezing rain leaving a sheet of glaze ice over all the roadways that still wasn't clear on Friday. That part I actually understood given that they couldn't get all the rural roads clear, but am still shocked to see how even a little bit of snow can shut everything down the farther south you get.

Woodrow
12-20-2010, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Bad as Woodrow has it at times, I don't think even Dakota winters would equal what Sister Harb has to put up with in Finland. Would anyone believe that the kids here in southern Illinois only had 1 day of school all last week. Last Monday and Tuesday were cancelled because of the first snowfall of the winter -- a grand total of 2 inches. And early Thursday morning we had sleet and freezing rain leaving a sheet of glaze ice over all the roadways that still wasn't clear on Friday. That part I actually understood given that they couldn't get all the rural roads clear, but am still shocked to see how even a little bit of snow can shut everything down the farther south you get.
You had to say that!!!!!!!

Just got a weather alert:

The snow just started and we already have at least 3 inches. It is expected to continue like this for the next 24 hours.

Picture from the window. I aint going out until the wind dies down:

But you are correct Sister Harb in finland has winters many times harsher than what we have in ND

~Raindrop~
12-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Snowing again! :statisfie love the white stuff when it's all powdery and pretty

sister herb
12-20-2010, 04:37 PM
But you are correct Sister Harb in finland has winters many times harsher than what we have in ND
I think we will survive here in Finland quite well; now here is only -10 degrees but at thursday and friday we are waiting colder weather - weather forecasts are talking even -30 degrees.

I believe I will find at that time something to do inside only.

Grace Seeker
12-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Sister harb, I once drove an ice cream truck. And while I found that I could tolerate -10 Celsius (+14 Farenheit) comfortably, -30 would be a completely different story. The freezer where we kept the ice cream stored for a hard freeze was -20 degrees Farenheit. Even though we had special clothing for working in the freezer, we still limited the amount of time anyone could work in the freezer without a required break in a warmer setting. If I'm doing my math correctly our -20 degree Farenheit ice cream freezer equals -29 degrees Celsius which is one degree warmer than what you are talking about living in. BRRRRRRR!!!!

sister herb
12-20-2010, 06:56 PM
I think living in freezer wouldn´t be so bad because there is no wind. So we hope here will no be very windy period soon. As for example; if here is -30 degrees and speed of wind is about 5 meter per seconds it feels same like temperature would be -40 degrees.

I think my hobby at next weekend will be sitting at home with a some good book/or internet of course, warm woolen socks on my feet and a big cup of hot coffee.

Far7an
12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
People have become so soft, I can remember in my day (which wasn't that long ago!) it would snow loads but school would never be closed!

noorseeker
12-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Its not fun when you get older, Because you have to travel to work and go shops and that.

Deicing or clearing your car, not the best job in the world lol

ChargerCarl
12-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Looking at those pictures all I can say is I'm glad I live where its warm lol

glo
12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
My daughter went out with the camera at the weekend and took some very beautiful pictures. I think she has a great eye for photography (but then I am biased! :D)

I hope you like them too:

glo
12-21-2010, 07:15 PM
You had to say that!!!!!!!

Just got a weather alert:

Woodrow, your weather alert reminded me of something amusing I came across on FB:

WINTER PANIC ADVISORY: The National Weather Service indicates there is weather coming. You should head to you nearest grocery store, park erratically, pillage the shelves with no concern for others in the aisle and leave your cart rolling adrift in the parking lot.
:D

sister herb
12-22-2010, 07:44 PM
So be carefull with your snow there - someone (like me) might like to do this to you:

glo
12-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Sister harb, if you

, I will feel

!

sister herb
12-23-2010, 07:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Sister harb, if you

, I will feel

!

bintYahya
12-23-2010, 01:30 PM

Ah, the temperature has dropped back to -25°C (or -11°F) in my city. But I guess I should be happy since I don't live in Oulu or in the region of North or South Karelia where it's even colder according to the meteorological institute (and oh my, if it's windy!). We don't even have as much as snow as the rest of Finland. Gotta stay positive! ;-D

Beardo
12-23-2010, 03:16 PM
For us here, 60 degrees Fahrenheit is considered cold. :p

Woodrow
12-23-2010, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bintYahya

Ah, the temperature has dropped back to -25°C (or -11°F) in my city. But I guess I should be happy since I don't live in Oulu or in the region of North or South Karelia where it's even colder according to the meteorological institute (and oh my, if it's windy!). We don't even have as much as snow as the rest of Finland. Gotta stay positive! ;-D
:wa: Uhkti,

I just noticed you are new here,

Welcome to the Forum. May your stay here be beneficial to you and to us.

I think the Weather here is trying to take after your Beautiful Country. Believe it or not, very close to me is a farm that raises Reindeer.

(Their web page: Page Source

Wonderful creatures, My wife and myself are seriously thinking of raising a herd. They can be a very good income source. Primarily for the antlers which are in big demand in the USA.

Beardo
12-23-2010, 03:24 PM
I think the Weather here is trying to take after your Beautiful Country. Believe it or not, very close to me is a farm that raises Reindeer.

Wonderful creatures, My wife and myself are seriously thinking of raising a herd. They can be a very good income source. Primarily for the antlers which are in big demand in the USA.
Just add a sleigh, and people would seriously mistake you for Santa Claus. :p

Woodrow
12-23-2010, 03:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Just add a sleigh, and people would seriously mistake you for Santa Claus. :p
That happened to me in a wal-marts not long ago. Even while I was wearing a Kuffi and a Moroccan Throbe (DishDash)

sister herb
12-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Reindeers in there, uncle Woodrow. Wau! In Finland has traditional food about them, called Reindeer Stew (poronkäristys). It is tasty.

Maybe sending recipe of it would be a little off topic in this thread? :embarrass

And welcome new sister from Finland...

Woodrow
12-23-2010, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Reindeers in there, uncle Woodrow. Wau! In Finland has traditional food about them, called Reindeer Stew (poronkäristys). It is tasty.

Maybe sending recipe of it would be a little off topic in this thread? :embarrass

And welcome new sister from Finland...
Wild Reindeer (Caribou) are native to just a few hundred miles north of me and at times have wandered this far south. Both caribou and Reindeer are the same species, but here in the Americas they were never domesticated.

Now to return to snow Pictures. It is still snowing here, but not as heavy as it had been on Monday and Tuesday. Fortunately the wind has slowed down and we no longer have "whiteout conditions"

glo
12-23-2010, 04:32 PM
What are reindeer antlers used for, that they are so sought after in the US, Woodrow?
For decoration or for more functional purposes?

sister herb
12-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Yes, do people there in USA possible eat reindeer antlers?

Woodrow
12-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes, do people there in USA possible eat reindeer antlers?
I guess you can call the uses of reindeer antlers as being decorative. the most common uses are as knife handles, Belt buckles, Buttons, gun grips, carvings etc.

Some examples can be seen HERE

Grace Seeker
12-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Huh! Learn something new today. My only experience with deer antlers (of any species) is for hunters to rub them together in the hopes of attracting a buck, or for those same hunters to mount them in their dens as a trophy.

Woodrow
12-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Huh! Learn something new today. My only experience with deer antlers (of any species) is for hunters to rub them together in the hopes of attracting a buck, or for those same hunters to mount them in their dens as a trophy.
They have a lot of uses, although today it would be considered decorative, in the past it was also necessary and practical. I am currently attempting to make a Traditional Mongol (Tatar) bow for a friend, who in turn is trying to make a traditional Cherokee Bow for me. Reindeer antler is used as part of the spline in it and for the tips and hand grip. Quite a bow it will be if I ever finish it.

Now back to snow, Just went over to the other house (The one we have been remodeling for over a year) and took these pictures.

glo
12-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Would the meat be used too, Woodrow?
I seems wasteful to breed animals simply to use their antlers ...

Grace Seeker
12-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Deer antlers are not horns. They are not a part of the bone structure of the animal. They drop off and regrow every year. If you want to collect their antlers you don't have to kill them. Just walk out and pick them up off the ground.

glo
12-23-2010, 09:04 PM
^
Good point, Grace Seeker. I'd forgotten about that.

Woodrow
12-23-2010, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Would the meat be used too, Woodrow?
I seems wasteful to breed animals simply to use their antlers ...
The beauty of reindeer. they shed their antlers yearly and grow a new and larger set each year. You can get antlers from one for quite a few years. For the size of the little critters the antlers are gigantic.

Four feet long for one is common.

sister herb
12-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Oh sorry I was thinking you meant they hoofs by word antlers. Hoofs are what end at feet, antlers at head.

:embarrass

You can make food by hoofs.

Grace Seeker
12-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Yes, I know a number of animals that people use their hooves (or whatever type of feet they have) to make a variety of meals. If you were from a subsistence culture, you didn't want to waste anything.

Woodrow
12-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Oh sorry I was thinking you meant they hoofs by word antlers. Hoofs are what end at feet, antlers at head.

:embarrass

You can make food by hoofs.
That is true. And it is quite good.

The Reindeer are to the Lapps what the Tatanka (Bison, American Buffalo) are to the Native Americans. Not a single bit of either is wasted. Every bit is used even the Hooves. What can not be eaten is used to make clothing what can not be used for food or clothing is used to make tools or as building material.

sister herb
12-23-2010, 09:41 PM
That is true. And it is quite good.

The Reindeer are to the Lapps what the Tatanka (Bison, American Buffalo) are to the Native Americans. Not a single bit of either is wasted. Every bit is used even the Hooves. What can not be eaten is used to make clothing what can not be used for food or clothing is used to make tools or as building material.
Unfortunately many nations and people have forgot how to make those things and foods from original material. It is more easy to order pizza.

Ok, maybe again back to snow?

Grace Seeker
12-23-2010, 10:10 PM
^^sorry, no. I must go off topic one more time to add a comment with regard to the Chicago stockyards -- they were known to use every part of the cow but the moo.

Now for snow, several inches predicted to start tomorrow night across the eastern half of the US, just as we head out on a 10-hour drive from IL to my son's in NC.

Woodrow
12-23-2010, 10:32 PM
^^sorry, no. I must go off topic one more time to add a comment with regard to the Chicago stockyards -- they were known to use every part of the cow but the moo.

Now for snow, several inches predicted to start tomorrow night across the eastern half of the US, just as we head out on a 10-hour drive from IL to my son's in NC.
OUCH

Looks like it is leaving us and headed your way.

Don't forget to pack your skis and remember to take plenty of Snow pictures as you cross the Smokeys

Grace Seeker
12-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Skiis are already packed. Don't know about taking snow pictures while driving. I hope to stay on the road, those are mighty big ditches they have in the Smokeys.

glo
12-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Safe journey, Grace Seeker, and God bless.
Will you be gone long?

serena77
12-26-2010, 12:26 AM
i'm getting to see my first white christmas ever.. i'm 33... its snowed a few times the week of christmas,... but like i said before.. family isn't christian.. i'm leaving the church... but ... there's still gonna be a huge feast and i LOVE snow. :)
Serena

Grace Seeker
12-27-2010, 11:05 PM
We are down here in North Carolina until Wednesday, then we will head back home. It snow all the way here. We saw many drivers in the ditch as we crossed over the mountains in NC. I fear they mistakenly think that if there is some small problem ahead on the road the best thing to do is hit their brakes. I saw many do this when all they needed to do was simply take their foot off the gas. The result for some were rather traumatic, but most just slid off into the median. However, one was upside down on its roof. :crickey:

My son doesn't live in the mountains, but in Charlotte, bordering South Carolina. So we are pretty far south and low in elevation, but there was snow here as well -- about 3 inches. We went out to a party with some of my son's friends on Saturday and a few people had lived here for like 25 years and this was the first Christmas snow they had ever seen.

On Sunday it was still snowing. So, I took the grandkids skiing. The drive there was about 2 hours back up into the mountains, but really wasn't bad at all. When we got there they wanted to go tubing instead. I think they were a little afraid of both the mountain and the cold. We had done the tubing the first time we were here a few years ago. And it too is fun. But with all the fresh powder it was killing me to be on a slow tubing run rather than a nice ski hill.

I went to take a look at the ski hill and my grandson walked up there with me. After he saw the beginner's area he wasn't quite so scared. So,we ended up doing that too. Some of their friends had also come so I had 4 beginners that I got to play ski instructor for. The good thing is that I actually am a ski instructor. So I was able to get them going pretty good. One of their friends seemed to come by it very naturally. But, I never made it up the mountain to do any of the runs I was really interested in. Spent my whole time there on the bunny slope. Oh well. Que sera, sera. Maybe next time.

Driving home was another story. The traffic just crawled along in long lines snaking up and down the mountainside doing about 15-20 mph. I kept thinking, what is going to happen when one of these drivers hit their brakes at the wrong time?:bump1::bump1: Fortunately we were moving so slowly nothing bad happened. Though there was the point that one person came to a full stop right in the middle of the road. That was an interesting moment.

Today down here in the lowlands it is warm enough to already be melting the snow. And the sun is out drying up the roads, so time to get all the 1/2 inch of salt that is caked to my car washed off after taking the kids to a matinee:popcorn:. Tomorrow we are headed for the zoo. And then Wednesday head the 600+ miles back home -- with perhaps a slight delay for a side trip back up to that ski hill sans grandkids.:haha:

Woodrow
12-28-2010, 12:51 AM
I finally got outside to get some snow pictures. Today was a great day temps actually got near 40. but this is just a temporary pause, so I enjoyed playing with the camera.

This I found to be intersting. The plant hange on the side of the carport was covered in snow as the snow began melting a little and rapidly refreezing it took on strange shapes that almost seem to defy gravity.

One of the unpleasent aspects of snow. the horses still need to be feed.Tried to drive up to the barn, but it was too deep to make it through even in the 3/4 ton pick up with 4 WD. These were my attempts before I gave up and hand carried their food to them.

This I though was cute. Last nights wind was so strong most of the snow blew off the trees except for where it was frozen into Y's in the Branches. Looks almost like white flowers on the trees.

Zeeland does have actual snow removal equipment and the stuff works.

Only problem is only one man in town knows how to drive any of it and he doesn't work for the town.

جوري
12-28-2010, 01:26 AM
today in NYC

gohar98
12-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Well I don`t live in UK but I love the beautiful pictures.

glo
12-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Woodrow, don't slam the door too hard with those snowy shapes hanging over the edge of the roof!
Otherwise, this might happen:

Woodrow
12-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Today can best be described with 2 short videos I took today. The first one was at near 12 noon when I wnt downtown to get a few groceries, as the one store in town will most likely close until after the storm

The second one was taken from my back yard at 3:30 PM

Since I uploaded the videos on photobucket and not Youtube you will have to click on the pictures to see them.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-30-2010, 11:05 PM
^WOW masha`Allaah we got to hear uncle Woodrow! but that was soo cool and cool video, theres no snow here :-\, but jazakallaahu khaayr for sharing akhee!

Woodrow
12-31-2010, 07:46 PM
When you look out the window at your thermometer and see this:

You sort of loose any desire to go outside to feed the horses.

Woodrow
01-01-2011, 09:11 PM
The snow finally stopped, here are our Wind Chimes on the front porch. For some odd reason they stopped chiming

Some pictures around the yard:

~Raindrop~
01-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Oh wow mashaAllah...everything looks so pure and beautiful =)

Woodrow
01-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Finally got the truck dug out and went to feed the horses. Decided to bring the camera.

R Khan
01-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Subhan'Allah, looks great.

Gosh.. I want pony too, but I only have a balcony.

iamuser_2007
01-02-2011, 10:29 AM
very very nice views.... but difficult to live in these places

sister herb
01-03-2011, 07:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by R Khan
Subhan'Allah, looks great.

Gosh.. I want pony too, but I only have a balcony.
Don´t call them as pony... they are uncle Woodroows´ little monsters. ;D

Ramadhan
01-03-2011, 08:19 AM
I am still marveled at the tenacity of these ponies. Do they not get cold?

Woodrow
01-03-2011, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
I am still marveled at the tenacity of these ponies. Do they not get cold?
They are Miniature Horses, not ponies. Ponies are a separate breed of equine.

It is truly marvelous the ways in which Allaah(swt) protects his creation. You may notice they look a bit on the fat side. In the week or 2 before the heavy snow started they developed tremendous appetites and began eating very much until they had a heavy layer of fat. It is that layer of fat that now protects them and gives them calories to have a high body temperature. Their own bodies have become the best protection from the cold. The temperature in those pictures was way below Zero. I believe it was -23. Probably about -35 with the wind chill. To help them I feed them very high calorie food grain mixed with Molasses Each of them is eating about 10 pounds of it daily. The full size horses are eating over 25 pounds each for the same reason. Twenty of the big horses are out to winter pasture in the hills. It will be late spring before we can even get to them, but we put out many tons of food to last them and they also will be fine.

Next year Inshallah, we will have our plane and be able to fly out and check on the pasture horses daily. In the mean time we hire a plane to do so every few days. By this time next year we will be in Montana and in a mountainous region with valleys to protect them better from the winter winds

Ramadhan
02-02-2011, 07:26 AM
I hope you keep yourself warm, unc. Woodrow!
I heard about the current monster winter storm across midwest and northeast USA.

Samiun
02-02-2011, 07:37 AM
:sl:, you have a cool voice Woodrow. Do you mind having a tour inside your house sometime?

Woodrow
02-02-2011, 08:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
I hope you keep yourself warm, unc. Woodrow!
I heard about the current monster winter storm across midwest and northeast USA.
We had gotten hit very bad for the past week. But it is now starting to move eastward. the temperature might get up to zero by tomorrow. The snow isn't too bad but there are high drifts over 10 feet high blocking the roads. I could not even get to the pastures to feed the horses foday. I did rent a snowmobile for tomorrow and I'll be able to get a few hundred pounds of feed out to them

Woodrow
02-02-2011, 08:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nbeel
:sl:, you have a cool voice Woodrow. Do you mind having a tour inside your house sometime?
Who knows? Inshallah one day I may have reason to.

Right now all anybody would see is cats. We let all of the cats in to get out of the weather. It seems like we can't move without stepping on a cat. But we will be able to chase them back outdoors soon.

GuestFellow
02-02-2011, 08:44 AM

Does it bite or kick? :hmm:

Woodrow
02-02-2011, 09:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow

Does it bite or kick? :hmm:
She is really quite gentle, but very playful. Only 28 inches tall about the same size as a large dog. Some people do keep them in their houses. Now to get back to the snow. I did not take this next pictures snagged them off the news.

These were taken out on the rez.

This is where the rez is, Zeeland is where I put the red dot

selsebil
02-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Assalaam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

Some people consider the snow to be very cold and uninviting, but under that chilly, unpleasing veil there are aims so warm and results so sweet they defy description.

Also,beneath the veil of stormy rains and muddy soil in the season of spring are hidden the smiles of innumerable beautiful flowers and well-ordered plants. And behind the veils of the harsh destruction and mournful separations of autumn is the discharge from the duties of their lives of the amiable small animals, the friends of the coy flowers, so as to preserve them from the blows and torments of winter events, which are manifestations of Divine might and glory, and under the veil of which the way is paved for the new and beautiful spring.

"Who has created everything in the best way," Qur’an, 32:7

peace_maker
02-02-2011, 01:40 PM
For me snow is just a dream :hmm:
It never snowed in the place I live, and never will... I guess. I live in the middle of dessert afterall. Okay, maybe not dessert, but it was once. But I love this place.

tw009
02-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Our first snow day of the season. All schools/universities are closed :D YAY!

PouringRain
02-02-2011, 07:48 PM
My snow is not as plentiful as Woodrow's snow...... but here is a pic.

Hannah.
02-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Wow that is what you call snow brother Woodrow! Love the pics.
I live in the UK too but where I am it hasn't snowed since December -_- College closures used to be the best part ;)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!