/* */

PDA

View Full Version : String Theory and Islam

Yassouid
11-27-2010, 01:12 PM
I was listening to a lesson today that mentioned string theory. I am not a physics major (math in fact), but as soon as he started to mention how there must exist multiple dimensions for the math to balance to the current equations that we possess my brain immediately drifted to the existence of the angels and jinn whom Allah (saw) has made a barrier between us and them, but guarantees we co-exist.

I don't know how popular this Quranic-connection is, and maybe this idea has been already published in much more detail, but Subhanallah it made me think- wow why havn't i thought of this before!

Comments?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lostman
11-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Salam bro,

I am not sure of the religious connection, although I am aware that there are about 7-11 different levels of vibration according Einstein. We only live in one of those frequencies and it is very low because things are dense in this world.

Obviously, this means that other dimensions (higher vibrations) can exist within the same space, but be unseen by our human mind and body. I also believe in the Koran there is a reference to 7 levels of heaven which I found interesting. But the Hindus and Bhuddists also believe in different levels of existence (as well as those vibrational levels correlating with the chakra system).

There are articles that can explain it much better and more in depth but that's what I know for now :)

IAmZamzam
11-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Are you sure Einstein said that? "Vibration" is usually a word New Agers falsely attribute to others. As far as I can tell, it doesn't really mean anything in their sense.

As ignorant as I am of highly advanced quantum physics, the only way my layperson brain can make any possible sense of the notion of multiple universes is if they are just multiple sets of objects in the same, one universe which are intangible to each other because they're made of types of energy that don't interact. Similar, but on different "wavelengths". Let's say that what we know as the universe and matter and energy is actually a certain variety of energy, Type A. Maybe the other types aren't made of waves and particles, maybe they're made of differently constructed waves and particles, but either way we're as undetectable to them as they are to us, because energy type A interacts only with other energy type A, while energy type B interacts only with other energy type B, and so on. Sort of like how white and black bishops on a chessboard move along only on a certain color of square and don't notice each other, only literally more like they're on the same squares and have a ghostlike intangibility to each other. Am I making any sense at all here? I honestly don't even know.

أحمد
11-27-2010, 05:18 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Yassouid
I was listening to a lesson today that mentioned string theory. I am not a physics major (math in fact), but as soon as he started to mention how there must exist multiple dimensions for the math to balance to the current equations that we possess my brain immediately drifted to the existence of the angels and jinn whom Allah (saw) has made a barrier between us and them, but guarantees we co-exist.

I don't know how popular this Quranic-connection is, and maybe this idea has been already published in much more detail, but Subhanallah it made me think- wow why havn't i thought of this before!

Comments?
There are various opinionsof scholars, which suggest that Jinn and Mankind live in "completely separate universes", with come sort of "spiritual" connection. This theory however is considered weak by the majority, who say the existence of Jinn and Mankind is in the "same universe", but due to the difference in the physical properties of Jinn and Mankind; they're unable to interact under normal circumstances.

String theory itself is no more than a newly developing theory, which has little to no firm base in science yet. A student of physics may be able to explain this in better terms.

:wa:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tango92
11-27-2010, 05:20 PM
have you never heard of teh 7 heavens?

the lowest one is adorned with lamps aka stars. this means the entire universe as we know it is just 1 of the 7 heavens. how do you break free of the lowest heaven? i dont know...

Ramadhan
11-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Basically, the string theory states that everything in the universe is nothing but strings that "vibrate" (or "sing"), and depending on how they vibrate or sing, different elementary particles are created.
This theory actually reminds me of a verse:

The seven heavens and the earth and all that is therein praise Him, and there is not a thing but hymneth His praise; but ye understand not their praise. Lo! He is ever Clement, Forgiving. (QS. 17:44)

so according to this al isra' verse, everything in the universe do dhikr to Allah (westerners who don't know any better think dhikr is the same as "singing"), but we don't know how they do (the dhikr) so. Pay particular attention to the part "and there is not a thing but hymneth His praise"

IAmZamzam
11-27-2010, 05:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92

the lowest one is adorned with lamps aka stars. this means the entire universe as we know it is just 1 of the 7 heavens. how do you break free of the lowest heaven? i dont know...
That could, I think, just mean that there are seven successive firmaments. In other words, that the part of the heavens with the stars (which even yet modern science cannot fully estimate the size of) is only the innermost layer or circle. Isn't there a hadith somewhere saying that each heavens dwarfs the last so as to make it like the tip of a needle?

tango92
11-27-2010, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
That could, I think, just mean that there are seven successive firmaments. In other words, that the part of the heavens with the stars (which even yet modern science cannot fully estimate the size of) is only the innermost layer or circle. Isn't there a hadith somewhere saying that each heavens dwarfs the last so as to make it like the tip of a needle?
i dont know about the tip of a needle, but successive ones are much larger than the others. your theory makes more sense as rasulullah saws did travel through all 7 on a winged horse, indicating a "normal" travel, not jumping through dimensions or anything.

Dagless
11-27-2010, 05:52 PM
i dont know about the tip of a needle, but successive ones are much larger than the others. your theory makes more sense as rasulullah saws did travel through all 7 on a winged horse, indicating a "normal" travel, not jumping through dimensions or anything.
The Prophet (pbuh) was only human and so would only experience the regular dimensions. Just as we can only experience the limited dimensions when all the time we maybe actually moving through others.

أحمد
11-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Seven heavens is truth, taught to Mankind by Allah. The string theory is a developing theory.

(2:29)

(23:17)

(41:12)

(65:12)

(67:3)

(71:15)

(78:12)

As for one of the seven heavens containing lamps, that too is mentioned in the Quran.

(37:6)

(67:5)

Again, I don't know which way the string theory may twist towards in its "development". But we know the Quran doesn't have such fallable properties.

أحمد
11-27-2010, 05:56 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
The Prophet (pbuh) was only human and so would only experience the regular dimensions. Just as we can only experience the limited dimensions when all the time we maybe actually moving through others.
Ahadeeth on Mi'raaj suggest Rasoolullah :saws1: travelled through all seven heavens; those ahadeeth are considered authentic by all the scholars of Ahlus-Sunnah.

Dagless
11-27-2010, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by أحمد

Ahadeeth on Mi'raaj suggest Rasoolullah :saws1: travelled through all seven heavens; those ahadeeth are considered authentic by all the scholars of Ahlus-Sunnah.

I don't see how what I said disputes that.

أحمد
11-27-2010, 06:04 PM

I don't see how what I said disputes that.
My post isn't a dispute either; its just "making a point about the Mi'raaj". I think we can all share the little bit we know, without the need to dispute over little differences in definitions.

Dagless
11-27-2010, 06:07 PM

My post isn't a dispute either; its just "making a point about the Mi'raaj". I think we can all share the little bit we know, without the need to dispute over little differences in definitions.

Agreed. It's just when you wrote that you quoted me, and so I thought it was a response to my statement.

أحمد
11-27-2010, 06:20 PM

Agreed. It's just when you wrote that you quoted me, and so I thought it was a response to my statement.
I quoted you because of the distinction between heavens and dimentions; there're many barriers betweem many realities in the universe. This includes heavens, but isn't limited to them by definition. There're barriers between life and death; i.e. the Ruuh being placed in a place of waiting. Others include barriers between seas, forces, and other masses and "energies" in the universe.

Speaking from the view of string theory; its possible for an entity to travel through everything in all existence, without travelling through it in all its possible dimentions. The connection between each of the dimentions being limited to two dimentional points makes each reality almost completely complimentary to all the others. That is, to my limited knowledge and understanding. Allah knows best.

Yassouid
11-27-2010, 06:21 PM

Agreed.

So this is my take, it interests me how often the repliers are mentioning the string theory is still developing. This is undebatable true, but this arises the question of empirical evidence to support string theory. If the only support for string theory is the uncovering of other dimensions of space (its currently up to 26 dimensions) that (inshallah this is the correct understanding) Allah (saw) has uncovered then i am deeply sorrowed by the wasted effort. Religion and science do not have to fight each other- they can easily complement each other to fill in short comings.

""For more than a generation, physicists have been chasing a will-o’-the-wisp called string theory. The beginning of this chase marked the end of what had been three-quarters of a century of progress. Dozens of string-theory conferences have been held, hundreds of new Ph.D.s have been minted, and thousands of papers have been written. Yet, for all this activity, not a single new testable prediction has been made, not a single theoretical puzzle has been solved. In fact, there is no theory so far—just a set of hunches and calculations suggesting that a theory might exist. And, even if it does, this theory will come in such a bewildering number of versions that it will be of no practical use: a Theory of Nothing."
—Jim Holt[38]"

tango92
11-27-2010, 07:20 PM
who said we were fighting the string theory? we are simply theoretisizing about, if string theory were true, how concepts in islam may fit in like jinn. if it can be proven true, surely Allah swt created it and there is nothing in his deen to contradict it.

Yassouid
11-27-2010, 08:13 PM
You miss understood me. I in no way intended to say replyers think religion and science are fighting.

Just commenting on how well the short comings of science fit into religion.

- Qatada -
11-28-2010, 12:43 PM
:salamext:

http://www.islamic-life.com/forums/a...um-theory-3277

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!