/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Halal fiction

jimbo123
11-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Can anyone recommend some books (without explicit sex scenes)?

At the moment I've been reading old crime novels. I read Gullivers Travels and some George Orwell books.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
11-29-2010, 02:37 PM
:sl:

How about Agatha Christie and then there was none. This is a very good book.

Ten little Soldier boys went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little Soldier boys sat up very late;
One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little Soldier boys traveling in Devon;
One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little Soldier boys chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six little Soldier boys playing with a hive;
A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little Soldier boys going in for law;
One got in Chancery and then there were four.

Four little Soldier boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

Three little Soldier boys walking in the zoo;
A big bear hugged one and then there were two.

Two Little Soldier boys sitting in the sun;
One got frizzled up and then there was one.

One little Soldier boy left all alone;
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none.

IAmZamzam
11-29-2010, 03:16 PM
And Then There Were None is indeed a very good one. So is The ABC Murders. My favorite is Three Blind Mice.

You could always read Dickens. I've read only a few of his books myself but I find it hard to imagine any of the ones I haven't perused containing explicit sex scenes.

jimbo123
11-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Is Agatha Christie really good? Ok I'll look into it.

I've read Hard Times by Dickens and it wasn't really my cup of tea. The language was also difficult for me to take in. Are his other books any better?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
11-29-2010, 04:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jimbo123
Is Agatha Christie really good? Ok I'll look into it.
Yup, its great.

S.Belle
11-29-2010, 05:00 PM
go with old classics they never really contain explicit sex scences like The Man in the Iron Mask, The 3 Musketeers (i have no clue how to spell that..), The Count of Monte Cristo, Moby Dick, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, A Farewell to Arms,...Pride and Prejudice, Crime and Punishment, maybe try reading some short stories by Edgar Allen Poe as well.

أحمد
11-29-2010, 05:25 PM

If you're interested in short "childrens books"; try the "Mr Men" series. Simple, clean fiction.

:wa:

IAmZamzam
11-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Is Agatha Christie really good?
Yes.

I've read Hard Times by Dickens and it wasn't really my cup of tea. The language was also difficult for me to take in. Are his other books any better?
Try A Christmas Carol.

nature
12-01-2010, 09:56 AM

At the moment I've been reading old crime novels. I read Gullivers Travels and some George Orwell books.
I was gona suggest catherine cookson, but then realised your a bloke. one good book i can recommend is the alchemist by paulo coelho.

Ramadhan
12-01-2010, 10:09 AM
and if you like "the alchemist" you will also certainly enjoy "one hundred years of solitude" - gabriel garcia marquez.

jimbo123
12-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Just so you guys know, I ordered "And then there was none" from Amazon. Looking forward to reading it with a hot tea on these cold winter nights!

format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
and if you like "the alchemist" you will also certainly enjoy "one hundred years of solitude" - gabriel garcia marquez.
I've heard of The Alchemist. I'll look into both of them inshallah.

Muhaba
12-01-2010, 11:01 AM
there are lots of books that don't contain explicit sex scenes. i read one book by Tom Clancy that didn't contain any sex scenes so you might want to check out his books.

IAmZamzam
12-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Here's another good Christie for you: The Mysterious Affair at Styles.

My mother recommends Three Blind Mice as much as I do, and says you should also read A Murder is Announced and The Moving Finger.

jimbo123
12-24-2010, 07:42 AM
I read "And then there was none". Good book! I love the mystery and didn't see the end coming.

GuestFellow
12-24-2010, 12:17 PM
^ Glad you liked it.

jimbo123
12-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah Jazakallahukhairun for the recommendation. Sometimes a good book is necessary - stops my mind from wandering around too much!

serena77
12-26-2010, 12:22 AM
salaam brother -
i can recommend a few but they may be considered more books for sisters - love in a headscarf, does my head look big in this ( which i'm waiting on amazon for ) .... on the bread of angels ... i recommend that to everyone .... and the butterfly mosque.

question ( stupid prolly ) but ... there's no ban on reading books by men if your female and vice versa... is there? ban probably wrong word... harem ??
Serena

GuestFellow
12-26-2010, 12:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
question ( stupid prolly ) but ... there's no ban on reading books by men if your female and vice versa... is there? ban probably wrong word... harem ??
Serena

Nope. The question you raised is interesting.

jimbo123
12-26-2010, 01:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
salaam brother -
i can recommend a few but they may be considered more books for sisters - love in a headscarf, does my head look big in this ( which i'm waiting on amazon for ) .... on the bread of angels ... i recommend that to everyone .... and the butterfly mosque.

Serena
Walaikum Salaam,

I read the synopsis for some of these books and they do sound girly. No offense! However, I think these could be a good gift for my sisters.

Beardo
12-26-2010, 01:44 AM

So you've read 1984?

serena77
12-26-2010, 01:49 AM
i saw 1984...... never read that one personally...
Jimbo - i hope your sisters enjoy them and they help to guide them.. they have meant so much to me in my learning
Serena

S.Belle
12-26-2010, 02:41 AM
im sure there is some halal fiction posted under top 5 fav books
http://www.islamicboard.com/groups/b...ms-united.html

Beardo
12-26-2010, 02:56 PM
1984 is an interesting story on totalitarianism. Sorta reminds you of North Korea today.

It's hard to find clean books nowadays. Without love? Pfft. You should just stick to textbooks then. :p

jimbo123
12-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Well, even 1984 isn't very clean.

Beardo
12-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Well, even 1984 isn't very clean.
It's a REALLY small portion that's not. But yeah, you're right.

Harry Potter is somewhat clean.

The Narnia series is 100% clean, I think...

jimbo123
12-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Really? There's quite a lot I thought.

Harry Potter, doesn't it encourage magic and sorcery? And is one of the characters supposed to be gay?

Muezzin
12-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Er... most books lack explicit sex scenes. Though I suppose as a general rule you could avoid the Romance section.

Harry Potter, doesn't it encourage magic and sorcery?
No more than most other books of the fantasy genre.

And is one of the characters supposed to be gay?
According to the author in an interview, yes. The books themselves are silent on the matter.

Try something by Ray Bradbury. Specifically 'Farenheit 451'. Because it is brilliant.

Alternatively, 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee is a masterpiece, as is Phillip K Dick's 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'

~Raindrop~
12-26-2010, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by
Aren't you confusing that with the CHERUB series? :><:

GuestFellow
12-26-2010, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha

Aren't you confusing that with the CHERUB series? :><:

Whats that...an illness? :X

jimbo123
12-26-2010, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Er... most books lack explicit sex scenes. Though I suppose as a general rule you could avoid the Romance section.
I read The Girl with Dragon Tattoo trilogy recently. Wow that was really explicit but I had to know how it ends. I like crime/thrillers but they all have this problem. I guess I should read more Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes.

~Raindrop~
12-26-2010, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by
Whats that...an illness? :X
lol no- it's actually a series of books about child spies and the missions they do. They seem to be quite popular.

Anyway, I love Agatha Christie books =D

IAmZamzam
12-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Harry Potter, doesn't it encourage magic and sorcery?
No, it doesn't. Just because those things are in the books doesn't mean that they're encouraged. Magic is just a backdrop for a plot that could have equally happened within any other framework. You might as well say that X-Men comics are encouraging mutation.

Only according to the author; it's never mentioned in the books themselves. What, does having a gay character automatically make the books evil somehow? There's a very large cast of characters in the world they depict and when you meet enough people in any setting it can be only so long before you run into one who's gay. There's no message to it, it's just being realistic about humans.

IAmZamzam
12-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Somebody asked me anonymously which character is supposed to be gay. It's Dumbledore. But again, the books themselves, while allowing the notion to make a certain amount of sense, never bring up the fact. They're not hiding anything, it just isn't a subject that pops up in the plot.

GuestFellow
12-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Have you considered reading lord of the rings? I'm reading the first book and its great. I skim the poems though.

jimbo123
12-31-2010, 07:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
No, it doesn't. Just because those things are in the books doesn't mean that they're encouraged. Magic is just a backdrop for a plot that could have equally happened within any other framework. You might as well say that X-Men comics are encouraging mutation.

Only according to the author; it's never mentioned in the books themselves. What, does having a gay character automatically make the books evil somehow? There's a very large cast of characters in the world they depict and when you meet enough people in any setting it can be only so long before you run into one who's gay. There's no message to it, it's just being realistic about humans.
It's true that it's being realistic about human but it's mass media influence. I don't know the right words to say this in. You know like how in some movies you see a guy with a cigarette in his mouth before he beats up the baddies? For me that's a negative influence, even if it might be true because it tempts me to take up smoking.

When I was younger, sometimes I used to stay up late and watch films and let's say I caught glimpses of 'adult scenes' which, a young kid especially should never see. That probably affected me a bit. Now, that was late night TV. These days you can find scenes and adverts of an explicit nature by about 7pm! 10 years down the line I dread to think how much worse it can get! Imagine seeing a perfume advert with gay men?

That's just my opinion on mass media. I hope I didn't meander too much.

IAmZamzam
12-31-2010, 09:05 PM
There are no sex scenes in Harry Potter and almost all of the violence is fantastical. Very little cursing. The books are meant to be mostly family friendly yet also appealing to adults. What, is having a gay character who happens to be a noble fellow an automatic endorsement of the practice of homosexuality, even though the story itself doesn't even tell you that he's gay (and the same interview wherein the author said he was also mentioned that he probably doesn't practice and leads "a celibate and bookish life")? By that logic you could just as much call Dumbledore an endorsement of old age, teaching, fondness of chamber music, bookishness and having a broken nose. They're all just qualities he happens to possess. End of story.

Musaafirah
12-31-2010, 09:56 PM
I swear there was another thread like this..
Classic books tend to be the best ones to stick with (to avoid lovey dovey mushy stuff), like:
Roll of thunder, hear my cry; To kill a mocking bird (as already mentioned); Of mice and men, etc.
Of modernish books, I loved: The curious incident of the dog in the night; Caught in the cross fire (someone falls in love, but no mush..); The mystery of the london eye, among others. Honestly, if you want books that have no mush whatsoever, you should try reading: The Alex Rider series, as well as the Artemis Fowl series ; Jimmy Coates etc.(I know they're aimed at 14 year old boys, but they're awsome(ish)

purple
12-31-2010, 10:12 PM
books?id3GDCPwAACAAJ&ampprintsecfrontcover&ampimg1&ampzoom1&ampsigACfU3U375Qk5gcD7NX JlnchIuYcsfuw9g -
Wensley Clarkson
0 Reviews
John Blake, 2010 - 296 pages

Investigative reporter Wensley Clarkson has spent years researching the most extreme and intriguing cases of women who commit murder, and this gripping collection brings together 20 of his most thrilling true stories. These are the tales of women who challenge our idea of what many still, mistakenly, often think of as the weaker sex. Their characters and backgrounds are as diverse as they are deadly, and their crimes are every bit as shocking as those of of their male counterparts. From the case of the beautiful Diana Perry, who suffered years of abuse at the hands of her husband before taking the matter into her own hands; to Bobby, a woman whose gruesome interest in blood led to one of the most horrific seduction killings ever seen.

:lol:
I actually read this. :hiding:I saw it in the library and took it out. There is one chapter that is definitely not appropriate. I know it is not fiction book. It a book I happen to like. 8 out 10 for me. :Evil:

GuestFellow
12-31-2010, 10:54 PM
It's true that it's being realistic about human but it's mass media influence. I don't know the right words to say this in. You know like how in some movies you see a guy with a cigarette in his mouth before he beats up the baddies? For me that's a negative influence, even if it might be true because it tempts me to take up smoking.

When I was younger, sometimes I used to stay up late and watch films and let's say I caught glimpses of 'adult scenes' which, a young kid especially should never see. That probably affected me a bit. Now, that was late night TV. These days you can find scenes and adverts of an explicit nature by about 7pm! 10 years down the line I dread to think how much worse it can get! Imagine seeing a perfume advert with gay men?

That's just my opinion on mass media. I hope I didn't meander too much.

Your right. The media can influence us.

Samiun
01-01-2011, 07:50 PM
:sl: Has anyoe read Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare? I just read it yesterday, it seems interesting. Well, it's about a women trying to find her brother and was saved by the shadow others. Demons and angels are also in this book. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...lockwork-angel

Hmm, I wonder if this is halal.

Tyrion
01-02-2011, 06:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Have you considered reading lord of the rings? I'm reading the first book and its great. I skim the poems though.
Lord of the Rings was awesome... I think I skimmed the poems too. :p

The movies were amazing as well. I really wanna get together with some friends one day and watch all 3 movies back to back. :D

Musalman
01-02-2011, 07:52 AM
You should read "The mystery of Holly Lane" by Enid Blyton.

nightingale
01-02-2011, 08:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha

Anyway, I love Agatha Christie books =D
me too :statisfie

IAmZamzam
01-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Speaking of which, I still recommend Christie's Mysterious Affair at Styles. You will never see the true solution coming.

jimbo123
01-02-2011, 05:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I tried reading this once and I don't know why but I couldn't get into it. I love the films though.

jimbo123
01-02-2011, 05:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Speaking of which, I still recommend Christie's Mysterious Affair at Styles. You will never see the true solution coming.
At the moment I'm reading 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd".

GuestFellow
01-02-2011, 06:49 PM
I tried reading this once and I don't know why but I couldn't get into it. I love the films though.

I just hate the amount of poems there are in one book. :/ Watching the movie makes it easier to understand the book.

serena77
01-02-2011, 06:55 PM
try the fable haven series.... yes... written for teenagers but a lot of adults really enjoy them. A lot of time books are marketed as young adult just to add more possible readers .
Serena

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!