/* */

PDA

View Full Version : waiting for that "aha" moment

dalialilly
11-29-2010, 05:55 PM
i have been interested in Islam for many years now, but only within the past couple of months have i really been studying and researching and seriously considering reverting. i really want to visit a mosque and meet more muslim people within my community (as well as on islamicboard) before i make the decision to take shahadah... i guess what i am looking for is that great A-HA moment, where everything just clicks and everything makes sense and the truth is just blatantly clear.. let me be clear, that yes i do believe in God and the fact that there is only one God and i believe in all his messengers, and that Mohammed (PBUH) is his last and final messenger. but should i be waiting for this great enlightenment? or is believing the shahadah good enough?

secondly, although neither of my parents are really religious, i do think that they would have a problem with my reverting. (my father comes from a strict baptist background, and because of that has become against all forms of organized religions, and my mother comes from a catholic background but has never been too interested in going to church, learning about God, becoming closer to God). i on the other hand, have always had a fascination, and deep respect for God, even if at times i questioned many of the things said and practiced at church. i find it hard to talk about religion with either of them, so how can i open up about my curiousity of Islam with them without scaring them? how do i tell them i want to be closer to God without making them think i am doing it for the wrong reasons? (by wrong reasons, i mean that my Ex-boyfriend is Muslim, although not a practicing muslim, but they may think i want to become Muslim to be closer to him.) The truth is, my interest in Islam has NOTHING to do with him, because he does nothing to show me that he is Muslim, other than say he is.. he doesnt fast for Ramadan, he doesnt pray, he doesnt go to Masjid, and he certainly doesnt respect women:hmm:. so my interest in Islam is for me alone to come closer to God.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Peakur
11-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Hello,

I feel the same way. I think being on this forum is a good way to talk about Islam and learn more. My parents are completely secular and do not believe in God, but I talk to them openly and it is a debate, not a monologue. It takes time, but with the right arguments (many of which can be found on this and other forums), you will be able to show them that Islam is nothing to fear and that in fact it is very natural.

As for the A-HA moment, I wonder if that is actually supposed to come. I only feel like things are making more and more sense as I learn more and open my mind further, but I am not in an expectation of anything super natural or anything like that.

Anyway, nice to find someone who is concerned about the same things.

dalialilly
11-30-2010, 10:22 PM
my dad is the same way. i try not to speak of religion at all around him because he will almost always have something negative to say about it. i have gotten in touch with the local masjid though, so hopefully this week or next i will be able to visit there and maybe meet some sisters so i can get to know them more and get some more questions answered.

Ramadhan
12-01-2010, 05:03 AM
Your post reminds me of the story of an australian who reverted to Islam. He is now doing some great dahwah, but for the life of me, I cannot recall his name.

His story is similar to yours.
He is convinced that Islam is the truth, and in islam he found answers to everything he'd been asking and everything just clicked with Islam.
It's just that he waited for that "aha" moment.

So one night he was desperate for that moment and asked God SWT sincerely and almost lost hope.
Then he picked up Al Qur'an, opening it at random, expecting to read some miraculous ayahs about creation of the universe or mankind that would finally cement his faith.
Instead, as soon as he opened Al Qur'an, it opened to the page where it contained an ayah that reads (I cannot remember which ayah) along the line:
"Have we not shown you enough signs/evidence for you (to believe)?"
This broke him into cries and he immediately proclaim the shahada.

He was telling his reversion story in a youtube lecture, and he is a very funny guy. I am sorry I just cannot remember his name.
maybe his story is in one of the youtube lectures contained in this thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...ert-islam.html

I pray to Allah SWT to give you guidance and to give you conviction and strength to submit to His will and live on the straight path. Amiin.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
dalialilly
12-01-2010, 01:18 PM
thank you... i am also glad that someone else feels the same way... i hope that both of us can find the right path with God, and maybe even be able to share it with our parents!

Najm
12-01-2010, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Your post reminds me of the story of an australian who reverted to Islam. He is now doing some great dahwah, but for the life of me, I cannot recall his name.

He is convinced that Islam is the truth, and in islam he found answers to everything he'd been asking and everything just clicked with Islam.

So one night he was desperate for that moment and asked God SWT sincerely and almost lost hope.
Then he picked up Al Qur'an, opening it at random, expecting to read some miraculous ayahs about creation of the universe or mankind that would finally cement his faith.
Instead, as soon as he opened Al Qur'an, it opened to the page where it contained an ayah that reads (I cannot remember which ayah) along the line:

He was telling his reversion story in a youtube lecture, and he is a very funny guy. I am sorry I just cannot remember his name.

I pray to Allah SWT to give you guidance and to give you conviction and strength to submit to His will and live on the straight path. Amiin.
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

I believe its this amazing Video....

FiAmaaniAllah

dalialilly
12-01-2010, 02:55 PM
thank you naidamar, that truly does help to know that many reverts go through the same issues i am facing. i also hope that i find guidance with allah, and i find my way to where God wants me to be.

tango92
12-01-2010, 03:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

yes here is that lecture

amazing story

Ummu Sufyaan
12-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Greetings,

that "aha" moment may or may not come. what you must be weary of is this: when you wait for something and you spend all that time sitting there waiting for it and believing it may come...you sit there in deep contemplation awaiting for it and deeply believing that it will come to you...yes be careful of that trap...quite often you may be so caught up in waiting for that particular thing that you are so oblivious that it has already passed you. not only that you are so oblivious to the great that may have come with that thing that you have missed.

your parents-keep being kind to them, even when they are mean to you. be patient. they may or may not accept your choice but being kind to them none-the-less will (god willing) be better for you and them in the long run. if they dont like your practicing, smile politely and just go on like usual (i.e practicing) =)

all the best may god guide you (and me).

Muslimman
12-03-2010, 09:31 PM
As long as you believe in one God and all messengers, you are a Muslim. If you feel telling your parents would cause some problems, it is not necessary to tell them, but you can take steps and make them understand gradually.
Good luck :)

Perseveranze
12-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

I feel that you just need more knowledge, the more knowledge you have of Islam, the better your understanding, the more convinced you become of it's truth and Inshallah a moment will come where you will say La ilaha Illalahu Muhamadu rasoorullah.

May Allah(swt) guide you sister.

I would recommend you checking videos out from this channel, it is especially resourceful to people that are interested in Islam or New Converts looking to gain some valuable information about their religion -

http://www.youtube.com/user/khalifahklothing

dalialilly
12-12-2010, 07:41 PM
thank you perservanze.. i am actually subscribed to that channel! i like watching it for the Deen show. its very inspirational and also good for beginners like me because they explain things in very basic descriptions that are easy for me to understand!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!