/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Random People

GuestFellow
11-29-2010, 08:06 PM
:sl:

I have been thinking about this a lot. Every time, I go out, I get random people asking me for help? This happens in town, on the bus or the train.

Some strangers ask for change and others ask for directions. I feel guilty because I have poor navigational skills and I end up giving the wrong directions. :skeleton:

I remember a Muslim girl on the train asking me for the next train stop. On the bus, an old lady asked me what the time was. I was walking to college and two new students asked me where the college was. Recently, a homeless man asked for change and on the same day, another random man asked for change too.

One day a man came to me asking if I can speak Urdu and he needed help? I was getting late and told him I couldn't speak it when I could...I felt really bad afterwards. :hmm:

I have also been asked to fill in questionnaires or participate in some studies >________________________________<

This happens a lot on a weekly basis. I don't understand. There are hundreds of people out there and for some reason, some strangers ask me for help. I don't understand why this happens to me. I don't mind people asking me for help but it is getting really weird and annoying. Can anyone explain this? Does this happen anyone else on this forum?

I wish I had a gun and shoot these people.

<_<

EDIT: TYPOS!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Maryan0
11-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Some people look approachable... maybe you should put on a rude face. It's nice to help people though but if you're in a hurry just let them know and be on your way.
Salam

أحمد
11-29-2010, 08:28 PM

Yes, "random" people always ask for help. Usually, it because they genuinely need help. And they do seem to appear more, when you're in a hurry.

Its not always wise to shoot someone who needs help; consider the possibility of yourself in their position.

:wa:

Ansariyah
11-29-2010, 09:51 PM
There are genuine people who really need help, but theres the occasional abnormals who could be stopping u for god knows wat. May Allah protect us ameen.

I once came from school about to step into my bus, I realised I lost both my phone n my wallet. I didn't know wat to do, I couldn't call my father or my mom to pick me up. All these people were gettin on the bus passing me.

Saddened I turned back n decided to use my own two feet, it took me 2 hours until I made it home with a lil sunburn alhamdulilah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
11-29-2010, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maryan0
Some people look approachable... maybe you should put on a rude face. It's nice to help people though but if you're in a hurry just let them know and be on your way.
Salam

I can't put on a rude face. I don't mind helping people but some can be persistent... :/

أحمد
11-29-2010, 10:28 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by ProfessorSunday

I can't put on a rude face. I don't mind helping people but some can be persistent... :/
Usually, they're quite persistent, but maybe its because they really do need a little extra help. Allah knows best.

GuestFellow
11-29-2010, 10:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by أحمد

Usually, they're quite persistent, but maybe its because they really do need a little extra help. Allah knows best.

Actually from my experience, very few are persistent. Most leave me alone once I say I'm running late or that I'm busy. However, the few that are persistent are people who conduct market research and those that ask for change...

Woodrow
11-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Well you can always go about 3 weeks without taking a bath, chew on garlic whenever you are in a crowd and keep scratching your head while occasionally breaking out in a hysterical laugh, It will greatly reduce the number of people who ask you for help.

Now on a serious note ask yourself why do peoples ask you for help.

Perhaps it is because you look like a person of knowledge and carry with you a demeanor of confidence?

Perhaps it is because you look successful and affluent?

Perhaps you appear to be kind?

It is not necessarily a bad thing that people ask you for help. People tend to only ask two types of people for help. Those that look like they have the knowledge to help or those who look like easy marks to take advantage of. Search yourself and see what image you portray when in public and decide if you need to change your image.

أحمد
11-29-2010, 10:50 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by ProfessorSunday

Actually from my experience, very few are persistent. Most leave me alone once I say I'm running late or that I'm busy. However, the few that are persistent are people who conduct market research and those that ask for change...
I always "get rid of" market researchers; they don't really need help. But if there's someone asking directions; it could take them at least two to five minutes to understand where they're going. Some people think they've understood it by then, but a minute later- they're asking again for the same directions. This happens a lot in "big cities", like Birmingham.

czgibson
11-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Greetings,

People ask each other for help all the time. There's really no need to get guns involved.

Peace

أحمد
11-29-2010, 11:23 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

People ask each other for help all the time. There's really no need to get guns involved.

Peace
I quite agree, unless of course; they want to know where to purchase a gun.

GuestFellow
11-30-2010, 12:59 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Well you can always go about 3 weeks without taking a bath, chew on garlic whenever you are in a crowd and keep scratching your head while occasionally breaking out in a hysterical laugh, It will greatly reduce the number of people who ask you for help.
LOL

Now on a serious note ask yourself why do peoples ask you for help.

Perhaps it is because you look like a person of knowledge and carry with you a demeanor of confidence?

Perhaps it is because you look successful and affluent?

Perhaps you appear to be kind?

It is not necessarily a bad thing that people ask you for help. People tend to only ask two types of people for help. Those that look like they have the knowledge to help or those who look like easy marks to take advantage of. Search yourself and see what image you portray when in public and decide if you need to change your image.
Well I'm very shy, so I doubt it can be the first one. If I was successful, I probably wouldn't be catching a bus. :p I don't look smart or successful. As for the last one, not sure. Most people say I look like a zombie, lifeless and boring. My cousin once described me as an old man. <_<

Oh the gun part was a joke everyone. :/

Beardo
11-30-2010, 01:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
One day a man came to me asking if I can speak Urdu and he needed help? I was getting late and told him I couldn't speak it when I could...I felt really bad afterwards.
That is SO messed up! LOL!!! Anyhow, you should just tell them you're on the run. That's what I do if I'm busy. Though, nothing beats the satisfaction of helping a random person because then you don't expect anything in return, you're not doing it to save a friendship or anything along those lines. You're doing it purely out of a good heart.

GuestFellow
11-30-2010, 01:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
That is SO messed up! LOL!!!
I know... =/

Anyhow, you should just tell them you're on the run.
I do...doesn't always work. Especially market researchers... O_o

Yassouid
11-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Have you ever had to ask someone for change for a dollar, to use their cellphone, if they knew where an address was to a specific building that you're probably running late to yourself.

Its sincerely terrifying, and the worse reaction of all is when the person completely ignores you as if you didn't even say anything, if someone isn't persistent, its because they were already so demoralized by the treatment that they were dealt that they do not want to bother you further.

As muslims we should o everything in our power to help people before they even ask for it, and if they do ask for it, go above and beyond what most would define as the normal 'duty' instead of giving directions walk the person in front of the building, and tell them to have a nice day.

If we do not help each other how can we ever expect to succeed in anything in life?

Yassouid
11-30-2010, 01:51 AM
Sorry for the double post but ran into this Hadith on accident that might be helpful to people:

“Jabir said that when God’s messenger (p.b.u.h.) was asked for anything, he never said, ‘No.’ “

CosmicPathos
11-30-2010, 02:00 AM
hmmm, your views seem to be quite narrow ...

i always try to discover the nature of the life of people who come up to me and ask me to help them regarding the "weird s***" of their lives ... allows me to reflect and to contemplate the nature of life. Perhaps you should start thinking and stop pulling triggers. Because someone else might very well be thinking the same thing about you when you ask them for help. Rather they would be thinking of using a bazooka to blow up your head.

GuestFellow
11-30-2010, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yassouid
Have you ever had to ask someone for change for a dollar, to use their cellphone, if they knew where an address was to a specific building that you're probably running late to yourself.
Well no, I never speak to anyone that I don't know, unless they speak to me.

Its sincerely terrifying, and the worse reaction of all is when the person completely ignores you as if you didn't even say anything, if someone isn't persistent, its because they were already so demoralized by the treatment that they were dealt that they do not want to bother you further.
Actually I always respond. Most are not persistent because they know I can't help them. Especially, when it comes to directions.

If we do not help each other how can we ever expect to succeed in anything in life?
I do help other people but not all the time. This is because either I'm running late to catch the train/bus or sometimes, I really don't know how to help them. I'm awful at giving directions, so I rarely give help on directions.

Yassouid
11-30-2010, 02:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Originally Posted by Yassouid
Well no, I never speak to anyone that I don't know, unless they speak to me.

Actually I always respond. Most are not persistent because they know I can't help them. Especially, when it comes to directions.

I do help other people but not all the time. This is because either I'm running late to catch the train/bus or sometimes, I really don't know how to help them. I'm awful at giving directions, so I rarely give help on directions.
Sorry i did not try to make my post directed at you, it was more for general purposes. I in no way would ever intend that you are not a helpful person.

It was more me venting about past experiences.

Either way I am sorry- i truly did not mean to imply anything.

Salaam!

GuestFellow
11-30-2010, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
hmmm, your views seem to be quite narrow ...

i always try to discover the nature of the life of people who come up to me and ask me to help them regarding the "weird s***" of their lives ... allows me to reflect and to contemplate the nature of life. Perhaps you should start thinking and stop pulling triggers. Because someone else might very well be thinking the same thing about you when you ask them for help. Rather they would be thinking of using a bazooka to blow up your head.
Perhaps you should read the topic again. : P

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!