/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Things to wear that are modest but also PRACTICAL

Amoeba
11-30-2010, 11:38 AM
I have noticed that a lot of the women's modest clothing is often very impractical and restricting, first thing I noticed wearing the headscarf was that I couldn't see what was going on at my feet when climbing because it kept getting in the way (as it needs to be in order to cover the chest area).

Can anyone suggest some modest garments that are also practical and keep out of the way when engaging in physical activities, or can be worn in preparation for the off-chance that one may need to run?

Does a woman really need a skirt to be modest? Because I absolutely loathe wearing skirts (mostly because I felt restricted from being able to move around freely while wearing them, even the wide, long dresses that kept snagging on things). I don't mind looking feminine, I just cannot stand skirts, dresses, etc.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhaba
11-30-2010, 01:04 PM
there are scarves that that are made of jersey material which cling to the body, so you can try those for climbing purposes.

Amoeba
11-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks for your input, I never heard of material that clings so it should be interesting to look up. Actually I wonder if I've seen some winter scarves that go around people's necks that were made of that since they seem to cling.

Note: I don't really mind if what I'm wearing during prayer may be impractical to keep modesty, it's just when I'm elsewhere or outdoors I'm concerned about, especially in rough weather.

Amoeba
12-04-2010, 07:57 AM
bump this up cos ineed advice

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
12-04-2010, 08:05 AM
:sl:
go to a tailor and see what she can do for you?

if you cant find anything practical, try finding alternatives such as running where you know there are no men?

i dont believe clothing is really a restriction to do anything. you just have to make most of what you have.

Amoeba
12-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Wha... of course they do! Unless all you do is sit, stand and walk in fine weather (bad weather is a whole other matter), then yeah they're not restrictive, but hardly anyone does only those three things. Have you never had to run or hop over a fence unexpectedly? For a bus, for example? Or from drunken chavs? Or just realising you're late for something? Certain clothes will hamper your ability to do this.

Tailors are expensive, aren't they?

Never mind, someone please close this.

Tyrion
12-07-2010, 09:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
Does a woman really need a skirt to be modest? Because I absolutely loathe wearing skirts (mostly because I felt restricted from being able to move around freely while wearing them, even the wide, long dresses that kept snagging on things). I don't mind looking feminine, I just cannot stand skirts, dresses, etc.
I have met very very very few Muslim women who restrict themselves to just skirts... I always thought that as long as you maintained the basics of modesty (as in no super tight clothing, making sure you're properly covered, etc...) then you could wear what you wanted? Most practicing Muslim girls I see on campus are in "normal" clothes. :p

Amoeba
12-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Well I keep getting complaints from older sisters that what I wear isn't good enough (I would have thought it was fine too, certainly nowhere near skinny or revealing). I also wonder if that's why I'm having trouble integrating with the sisters in my city, because my clothing is quite... "western" and masculine. I don't know how to reduce the masculinity without either going one way - too shapely and revealing (I don't like fitted shaped clothes anyway), or the other way, too flowy and get-in-the-way-ey.

But perhaps this wasn't a good place to ask so.. someone please close.

ژاله
12-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Amoeba, may be you are finding scarves and skirts restrictive because you are not used to them as yet. Many sisters feel so in the beginning, but then after some time and practice they get used to wearing such things. You can also try changing cloth material / style etc. Hope you will get comfortable with it. :)

manaal
12-07-2010, 08:51 PM
You could wear kurthis with pants and pashminas. Google "kurthi and pants" and go to images and you can find many styles.

Also see: http://www.shukr.co.uk/Women-C32.aspx for more ideas.

S.Belle
12-14-2010, 09:44 PM
go crazy here http://www.eastessence.com/
they have the cutest/modest clothes ever while at a reasonable price.

Hayaa
12-14-2010, 11:18 PM
:sl: have you looked into two-piece hijabs? They're really convenient, easy to wear, and don't require pins etc.

such as these: http://www.jelbab.com/al-amira-hijab.asp

manaal
12-15-2010, 03:56 PM
^But the problem with those are that it's difficult to adhere to the command of "draw your veils over your bosoms" on Surah Noor when wearing them, that is why I prefer pashminas.

S.Belle
12-15-2010, 04:00 PM
try getting a hoojab as well

http://pearl-daisy.com/scarves/hoojabs.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!