/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Did I just break my fast?? :( (kaffarah)

Aishath
12-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Assalaamu alaykum,

I am fasting my kaffarah fasts (today is day 3 Insha Allah). However, I was just making wudu to pray Asr and accidentally filled my hands with too much water when washing my mouth (step two of wudhu). I am normally really careful and I didn't forget I was fasting at all. It was just done accidentally. I am pretty sure some water trickled down the back of my throat. I spat it out at once when I realised that it was too much water and I might be accidentally swallowing some. Does this break my fast? Since I am doing kaffarah fasts, if a fast is broken I'll need to start again. Since I've only done 3 so far (counting today since I continued with my fast despite this incident), it's not too much of a problem if I do have to start again. I'm just worried about what to do really

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tango92
12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aileen
Assalaamu alaykum,

I am fasting my kaffarah fasts (today is day 3 Insha Allah). However, I was just making wudu to pray Asr and accidentally filled my hands with too much water when washing my mouth (step two of wudhu). I am normally really careful and I didn't forget I was fasting at all. It was just done accidentally. I am pretty sure some water trickled down the back of my throat. I spat it out at once when I realised that it was too much water and I might be accidentally swallowing some. Does this break my fast? Since I am doing kaffarah fasts, if a fast is broken I'll need to start again. Since I've only done 3 so far (counting today since I continued with my fast despite this incident), it's not too much of a problem if I do have to start again. I'm just worried about what to do really
nope if its unintentional it doesnt break. continue as normal

Aishath
12-01-2010, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
nope if its unintentional it doesnt break. continue as normal

I was just wondering what happens if someone does break their fast or miss a day of fasting whilst doing Kaffarah. I just spoke to an Imam and he said since I was aware that I was fasting, this does break my fast. Since I've only done 3 days, I personally think I would feel better if I start over since it's not too many days I'll need to re-fast. However, can I just start again tomorrow or does there need to be a gap in the middle? :S Or can I just keep fasting and then fast an extra 3 days at the end?

tango92
12-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I was just wondering what happens if someone does break their fast or miss a day of fasting whilst doing Kaffarah. I just spoke to an Imam and he said since I was aware that I was fasting, this does break my fast. Since I've only done 3 days, I personally think I would feel better if I start over since it's not too many days I'll need to re-fast. However, can I just start again tomorrow or does there need to be a gap in the middle? :S Or can I just keep fasting and then fast an extra 3 days at the end?
if u break it you gotta start from day 1. i think the imam is trying to make ur life difficult, as far as i know if its unintentional it doesnt break the fast.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Aishath
12-01-2010, 10:20 PM
if u break it you gotta start from day 1. i think the imam is trying to make ur life difficult, as far as i know if its unintentional it doesnt break the fast.
:( it does make it more difficult for me when I hear different views especially given that I am also so paranoid. I think I might just make an intention and start from day 1 again. I don't need take a break in between though do I?

On a completely unrelated note I hope you don't mind if I ask one more thing. I know if someone drinks alcohol their good deeds are not accepted for 40 days unless they repent. What is the case is one accidentally smells alcohol? Sometimes people I live with have alcohol and I tend to stay in my room and away from them at such times. However, I walked outside without realising that they were drinking alcohol. I tried not to breathe in any smells and after having a quick word I grabbed my jacket and books and came into my room. Accidentally smelling alcohol doesn't apply to the 40 days ruling does it :S I did try my best not to smell it. It's difficult living with people who aren't religious but unfortunately for the time being that is the situation

~Raindrop~
12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
i think the imam is trying to make ur life difficult, as far as i know if its unintentional it doesnt break the fast.
In this case, what the Imam said is the correct religious ruling. Better not to speak without knowledge. Please do not assume such things about the Ulama. If we don't have a good opinion of the very people who inform us of matters pertaining to Deen then Allah help us.

Source..

~Raindrop~
12-01-2010, 10:40 PM
On a completely unrelated note I hope you don't mind if I ask one more thing. I know if someone drinks alcohol their good deeds are not accepted for 40 days unless they repent. What is the case is one accidentally smells alcohol? Sometimes people I live with have alcohol and I tend to stay in my room and away from them at such times. However, I walked outside without realising that they were drinking alcohol. I tried not to breathe in any smells and after having a quick word I grabbed my jacket and books and came into my room. Accidentally smelling alcohol doesn't apply to the 40 days ruling does it :S I did try my best not to smell it. It's difficult living with people who aren't religious but unfortunately for the time being that is the situation
You're right, it doesn't :) The hadith refers to people who consume alcohol.

Aishath
12-01-2010, 10:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
You're right, it doesn't The hadith refers to people who consume alcohol.

Thank you sister :)

tango92
12-02-2010, 10:34 AM
:( it does make it more difficult for me when I hear different views especially given that I am also so paranoid. I think I might just make an intention and start from day 1 again. I don't need take a break in between though do I?

ignore me then.

i also wondered this. especially when you get those old tramps absolutely stinking of alcohol on the bus and stuff. it smells like urine

Aishath
12-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Ugh it's keep happening. I just cleaned my teeth and I was being so so careful rinsing out my mouth but I accidentally inhaled a bit of water. I filled my mouth up with such a tiny amount but it was when transferring water from my hands to my mouth I accidentally inhaled. I spat it out immediately. I think because I am trying to be so careful, I am making it worse now :(

Aishath
12-02-2010, 11:15 AM
In this case, what the Imam said is the correct religious ruling. Better not to speak without knowledge. Please do not assume such things about the Ulama. If we don't have a good opinion of the very people who inform us of matters pertaining to Deen then Allah help us.

From that link it seems that the guy has to keep a qadha of that fast he did break. However, in my case do I have to start kaffarah from the beginning?

tango92
12-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Ugh it's keep happening. I just cleaned my teeth and I was being so so careful rinsing out my mouth but I accidentally inhaled a bit of water. I filled my mouth up with such a tiny amount but it was when transferring water from my hands to my mouth I accidentally inhaled. I spat it out immediately. I think because I am trying to be so careful, I am making it worse now :(
you know what at this rate your neva gonna get even halfway there. walking down the street your gonna inhale bacteria, does this break your fast? no of course not.

you cant be accountable for every molecule of water in your mouth. and you must wash your mouth. islam is not soo difficult. if your being extra strict on yourself to avoid following a wrong path then thats good, but bear in mind you are NOT allowed to make your life excessivley difficult for no reason. especially when it is the mercy of Allah that he is lenient on such things.

~Raindrop~
12-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Sister, there is nothing wrong with gargling as long as water doesn't enter the throat.
If it does enter, and you're aware that you're fasting then yes, the fast will break and kaffaarah will have to be started again.

Dagless
12-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Source..
Can someone explain this answer? It says...

"If a person is fasting and whilst making wudhu, some water enters his throat either by gaggling or washing the nose, then if one remembers he is fasting the fast will break and the Qadhaa of one fast will have to be kept. However, if one doesn’t remember he is fasting, then the fast will not break."

So...

Scenario 1:

You swallow some water ---> You remember you are fasting ---> Your fast is broken.

Scenario 2:

You swallow some water ---> You do not remember you are fasting ---> Your fast is not broken.

In 'Scenario 2' it stands to reason that you will eventually remember you are fasting. So will the fast then be broken as in 'Scenario 1'? Is there a time limit? So if you remember after 5 seconds it's broken but after 2 minutes it's not? Who decided this?
It could mean that you forget the entire event but then there is no need for the second scenario because none of those people will ever ask the question.

Aishath
12-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks. I think I am just being too paranoid now really. This might seem like a silly question but things like wearing contact lenses are fine aren't they? I've looked it up on ask imam website and it all seems to say it is permissible

tango92
12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks. I think I am just being too paranoid now really. This might seem like a silly question but things like wearing contact lenses are fine aren't they? I've looked it up on ask imam website and it all seems to say it is permissible
as long as you dont eat them

Aishath
12-02-2010, 11:25 PM
as long as you dont eat them

Lol I'll try to resist the temptation. Well I kept my fast today as well anyway since it was more of a doubt as to whether or not I swallowed water so I figured ignore all doubts unless you know for certain really. Thanks for your help and input

أبو سليمان عمر
12-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Question:

If the fasting person rinses out his mouth or cleans his nose with water and some of the water enters his throat unintentionally, does this nullify his fast?
Answer:

If the fasting person rinses out his mouth or cleans his nose with water and the water enter his inner body, this does not break his fast, because he did not do that intentionally. This is due to Allah's Statement: But what your hearts purposefully intended. [1]

1. Al-Ahzab 33:5

Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen
Fatawa Islamiyah Page no.260 Vol: 2

also Allah says in the quran “And there is no sin on you concerning that in which you made a mistake, except in regard to what your hearts deliberately intend”[al-Ahzaab 33:5]

if it was not on purpose and unintentionally then your fast is still valid

Does my fast break if water runs down the back of my throat when i clear my nose in wudoo?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

The fasting person is forbidden to go to extremes in rinsing his nose, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to Laqeet ibn Sabirah (may Allaah be pleased with him): “Do wudoo’ well, make the water run in between your fingers and toes, and go to extremes in rinsing the nose, unless you are fasting.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (142) and al-Tirmidhi (788); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

This hadeeth indicates that one should avoid going to extremes in rinsing the nose when fasting, so that the water will not inadvertently enter the fasting person’s body.

Secondly:

If the fasting person rinses his mouth or nose and some of the water goes down into his throat without him intending it to, that does not break the fast, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And there is no sin on you concerning that in which you made a mistake, except in regard to what your hearts deliberately intend”

[al-Ahzaab 33:5]

This person did not deliberately intend to do that which invalidates the fast, so his fast is still valid.

See al-Sharh al-Mumti’ (6/240, 246).

and Allah knows best

Aishath
12-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Assalaamu alaykum,

Thank you for that reply Brother. I am trying to be very careful when making wudhu so as to avoid doubts really.

I hope you don't mind the many questions but what does one do if they can't remember if they had a wet dream or not? I'm sorry about the descriptive nature and it is embarrassing but I need some opinions. I can vaguely remember there to be kissing but definitely can't remember anything that could lead to sexual ejaculation. When I woke up I was in a rush and didn't really see if I had ejaculated or not but from what I recall there was very small trace of what looked like dried discharge in my underwear but looked like it was just normal discharge and not orgasm (just because of the amount which looked like it was smaller than a fingernail, and the fact that it was dried etc). I went through a period where I was suffereing from waswas so much that I would make ghusls all the time even when it was just normal wetness and I am really trying to avoid that. My heart doesn't say it was ejaculation at all just because of the tiny amount and also because from what I can recall, the dream just wasn't a very sexual kind of dream or anything. More to do with meeting partner's family and so on from what I recall. Should I do a ghusl just to be on the safe side :S I fasted and prayed the whole day as normal

أبو سليمان عمر
12-04-2010, 01:21 AM
the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked by a woman, “O Messenger of Allaah, Allaah is not shy of (telling you) the truth. Does a woman have to do ghusl if she has an erotic dream?” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Yes, if she sees water.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 282; Muslim, 313). This indicates that it is not obligatory to do ghusl is one does not see water. Al-Mughni, 1/269.

But if one finds wetness, this must mean one of three things:

1 – That one is certain that it is maniy (semen), in which case ghusl is obligatory according to scholarly consensus. Al-Mughni, 1/269.

2 – That one is certain that it is not maniy, in which case ghusl is not obligatory, but this liquid must be washed away, because in this case the ruling is the same as the ruling on urine. Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 1/280.

3 – If he is not sure what it is, and does not know whether it is maniy (semen) or madhiy (prostatic fluid). In this case there is a difference of opinion among the scholars:

Al-Nawawi stated in al-Majmoo’ (2/146) that the rulings on both maniy and madhiy apply, so he should do ghusl to remove the janaabah (impurity following sexual activity) on the basis that it may be maniy, and he should cleanse his clothes of the impurity on the basis that it might be madhiy – because he cannot discharge his duty of purifying himself without doing that.

The madhhab of Imam Ahmad, which was also the view preferred by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, is that if he was thinking thoughts of desire before he fell asleep, or if he had played with his wife or looked at her, then this wetness should be counted as madhiy, because the liquid that is emitted because of those things is usually madhiy and the basic principle is that it is not anything else. So he should cleanse his clothes of the madhiy by sprinkling them with water, but he does not have to do ghusl.

But if he did not think thoughts of desire, or play with or look at his wife before falling asleep, then this wetness is to be considered as maniy, because of the report narrated by ‘Aa’ishah who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about a man who finds some wetness and does not remember having an erotic dream. He said: ‘He should do ghusl.’ And he was asked about a man who thought that he had had an erotic dream but he did not find any wetness. He said, ‘He does not have to do ghusl.’” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 236; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 216.

Al-Khattaabi said in Ma’aalim al-Sunan: “The apparent meaning of this hadeeth is that ghusl is obligatory if one sees wetness, even if he is not certain that it is maniy. This opinion was narrated from a group of the Taabi’een, including ‘Ata’, al-Shu’bi and al-Nakha’i.”

This wetness has to have come out for a reason, and there is no apparent reason other than an erotic dream, and the water that usually comes out because of an erotic dream is maniy. So this uncertainty may be dealt with by going by what is most usual.

See al-Mughni, 1/270; Sharh al-‘Umdah, 1/353.

Having the wet dream it self is not a sin and does not invalidte the fast but if you know it to be maniy then you must do ghusl if you sure it isnt then no ghusl only wash the spot so you can pray as if you dont know well maniy the say smells like sour dough i agree with the second view more also read this

The seventh question of Fatwa no. 6320
Q: What is the ruling on a person who wakes up and then doubts that he had a wet dream but when he examines his underwear, he does not find Maniy (spermatic fluid)?
A: All praise be to Allah Alone, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger, and his family and Companions.
The basic rule is that no Ghusl (ritual bath following major ritual impurity) is required of him (unless there is a clear evidence to prove that it is required), because what is certain cannot be overruled by what is doubtful.
May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!
Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta’

so i hope this helps

Aishath
12-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Alhamdulillah and thank you Brother. I think a lot of it is just me getting waswas and doubts about my purity. At one instance, I feel sure I have not become a junub and much later when the memory is less clear, I start being doubtful. I am going to apply the certainty is not lifted by a doubt ruling until I can overcome such waswas. Thank you very much. May Allah bless you for your time and help.

أبو سليمان عمر
12-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Insha Allah i will post a couple fatwa by scholars in regards to waswas hope they help

Shaykh al-Islam [Ibn Taymiyah] (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Dar’ al-Ta’aarud (3/318): This waswasah may be dispelled by seeking refuge with Allaah and by ignoring it. So if the waswasah says: You did not wash your face, he should say: Yes I did wash my face. If it occurs to him that he did not form the intention or say takbeer, he should say in his heart: Yes I did form the intention and say takbeer. He should remain steadfast in following the truth and ward off any waswasah that is contrary to it. When the shaytaan sees his strength and steadfastness in following the truth, he will go away from him, otherwise if he sees that he is receptive to doubts and specious arguments and that he responds to waswasah and passing thoughts, he will bring against him more than he can resist and his heart will become receptive to what the devils among mankind and the jinn put in his mind of ideas and the waswas will move from one thing to another until the Shaytaan leads him to doom. End quote.

A woman is affected by waswaas with regard to purity (tahaarah)
A woman is suffering from waswaas (insinuating whispers of the Shaytaan) concerning her tahaarah (purity) and feeling after she has done wudoo’ that she needs to relieve herself. On one occasion she felt that someone was telling her to insult the Qur’aan and insult Allaah, and all she could do was weep. How can she deal with this and get rid of these whispers?

Praise be to Allaah.

Many people suffer from these whispers – there is no power and no strength except with Allaah. The way to deal with waswaas is to seek refuge with Allaah a great deal from the accursed Shaytaan, and especially to recite al-Mi’wadhatayn (the last two soorahs of the Qur’aan), for there is nothing better with which a person may seek refuge with Allaah. So she should recite (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: “I seek refuge with (Allaah), the Lord of the daybreak”

[al-Falaq 113:1] – to the end of the soorah, which includes seeking refuge from the evil of the Shaytaan, because he is one of the creations of Allaah. And she should recite Soorat al-Naas (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: “I seek refuge with (Allaah), the Lord of the daybreak”

[al-Naas 114:1] – to the end.

The way to deal with that is to seek refuge a great deal in Allaah from the accursed Shaytaan, to turn to Allaah, and to have sincere resolve, so that one will not pay any attention to whispers that may enter one’s mind.

For example, whether you have done wudoo’ once or twice or three times, you should not pay any attention to the whispers of the Shaytaan. Even if you feel that you have not done wudoo’, for example, or that you neglected some part of wudoo’ or that you did not have the right intention, you should not pay attention to that. Similarly if you are praying and you feel or it occurs to you that you did not say “Allaahu akbar” at the beginning of the prayer, you should not pay attention to that, and you should carry on and complete your prayer. Similarly, if it crosses your mind – as mentioned in the question – to insult Allaah or the Mus-haf or any other kind of kufr, you should not pay attention to that and it will not harm you. Even if it goes so far as a person uttering them words under compulsion of the waswaas, there is no sin on him because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “There is no talaaq (divorce) under compulsion.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2193; Ahmad, al-Musnad, 6/276; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in al-Irwa’, no. 2047. If the divorce that is the result of waswaas does not count, then this is more likely to be forgiven, but one should turn away from that and not pay attention to it.

So my advice to this lady and others who are tested with waswaas is to seek refuge a great deal with Allaah from the accursed Shaytaan, to recite al-Mi’wadhatayn – Qul a’oodhu bi Rabb il-Falaq and Qul a’oodhu bi Rabb il-naas (the last two soorahs of the Qur’aan) – to have sincere resolve and not to pay attention to these insinuating whispers from the Shaytaan.

If the Shaytaan manages to instill some doubts in a person’s heart concerning Allaah and so on, he should not worry about that, because he is only suffering these doubts because of the faith in his heart. The person who is not a believer does not care whether he doubts or not; the one who suffers because of these doubts and whispers is a believer. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “That is clear faith,” (narrated by Muslim, no. 132) , meaning that what the Shaytaan casts into your hearts of such matters is a reflection of clear faith, i.e., sincere faith… He described it as sincere faith, because the one who experiences these doubts is not happy about them and should not pay any attention to them; they grieve him and he does not want them. The Shaytaan only comes to hearts which are filled with faith in order to destroy it; he does not come to hearts that are devoid of faith, because they are already ruined. It was said to Ibn ‘Abbaas or Ibn Mas’ood that the Jews said, “We do not experience waswaas during our prayers.” He said, “Of course, what would the Shaytaan do with a heart that is already ruined?!”

My advice to her is to ignore all of these whispers. She will find it hard at first, and she will think that she is praying without wudoo’ or without saying “Allaahu akbar” at the beginning, and so on, but it will become easier for her after that, and this doubt and waswaas will leave her, in sha Allaah.

Praise be to Allaah, there are people who suffered with this problem, but they were told how to deal with it and how to resist it, and Allaah granted them relief. We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound.

Kitaab Liqaa’aat al-Baab al-Maftooh by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, p. 14.

Insha Allah this helps as well Hisn Al-Muslim "Said to ward off the deception of the obstinate shaytaan" this duas should help Insha Allah

Aishath
12-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Alhamdulillah Brother. Thank you so much. If you don't mind, I would like to ask a question regarding a waswas I got today and has been bothering me.
I was thinking to myself how Allah (swt) is always with us and how He is the only God and that He never leaves us and is always with us with everything we do. And all of a sudden, I had this sudden thought, 'what an invasion of privacy' and it is literally horrifying and causing such discomfort.

I believe that as humans, whenever we need help we are grateful that Allah is with us but when we want to commit sins, we feel all these bad things. It scares me that on some level I might believe in this thought :( and so I am having a difficult time brushing it off as waswas.

In my heart, I believe that Allah is always with us because He wants to guide those who wants to be guided, He is always there to answer our prayers, to grant us forgiveness. As slaves, we are in no position at all to judge or question our Creator and complain about 'invasion of privacy' at all. There is no such thing. Allah knows everything, and we can't hide anything from our Creator and this is when I keep getting thoughts such as 'no privacy' and I just really hate it and it is really horrifying me. I don't want to even think that I might believe such a thought at all. It scares me that I might believe it though because as soon as I try to brush it off with waswas, I keep thinking, yeah but if you think you might believe it then it's not waswas. How can I be sure that I don't believe in such an awful thought? Surely the fact that the thought provides me with such discomfort is proof enough?

That and the fact that I believe in my heart that the fact that Allah (swt) is always with us is a good thing. We never ever have to feel alone or scared or anything because we know our Creator is with us and everything will happen as He wills. Plus, its a good thing at times when you are tempted to commit a sin. Knowing that you can commit a sin but it will be something that will be viewed by Allah does help me try and reduce sins (not as much as I would like but still getting there insha Allah). If I genuinely believed it as an 'invasion of privacy' (subhaanAllah), then surely this means I also believe that I don't want to pray to such a God and the fact that I don't like missing prayers etc and feel so thankful for the many blessings He has bestowed upon us means that I don't believe this thought :(

Sorry it's really long. I was just getting worked up wondering if I did believe in such a horrible thought.
format_quote Originally Posted by أبو سليمان عمر
If the Shaytaan manages to instill some doubts in a person’s heart concerning Allaah and so on, he should not worry about that, because he is only suffering these doubts because of the faith in his heart. The person who is not a believer does not care whether he doubts or not; the one who suffers because of these doubts and whispers is a believer.
I hope this applies to me and I take comfort in knowing that at least the fact that I do feel bad about such thoughts is a good thing. It's just worrying me whether or not I might believe such thoughts really.

May Allah bless you.

أبو سليمان عمر
12-05-2010, 05:34 PM
I was thinking to myself how Allah (swt) is always with us and how He is the only God and that He never leaves us and is always with us with everything we do
Naam Allah is with us with His knowledge seeing hearing

And all of a sudden, I had this sudden thought, 'what an invasion of privacy' and it is literally horrifying and causing such discomfort.
nothing is privte from Allah he know all he says in the quran
qaf 16. And indeed We have created man, and We know what his ownself whispers to him. And We are nearer to him than his jugular vein (by Our Knowledge).

'what an invasion of privacy'
this goes back to
if it crosses your mind – as mentioned in the question – to insult Allaah or the Mus-haf or any other kind of kufr, you should not pay attention to that and it will not harm you. Even if it goes so far as a person uttering them words under compulsion of the waswaas, there is no sin on him end quote
sis you need to try to take the advice of the scholars sis and try to ignore it and not let it take over you say duas read the last 2 surah etc

How can I be sure that I don't believe in such an awful thought? Surely the fact that the thought provides me with such discomfort is proof enough?
sis disliking it and fighting it and overcoming it this is a sign of clear faith naam sis this seems like waswas but pls do as the hadith says everytime u get waswas first seek refuge with Allah, the Almighty then ignore it and then if you can do some acts of ibadah read quran make dua etc and remeber this the prophet said
He said, “Of course, what would the Shaytaan do with a heart that is already ruined?!”
so alhumdulillah we see from this hadith if a heart is ruined shaytaan has no use in it so Alhumdulillah it seems to me that for you this is a sign of clear faith

....... I don't like missing prayers etc and feel so thankful for the many blessings He has bestowed upon us means that I don't believe this thought
Alhumdulillah yes this is what it seems ....

I hope this applies to me and I take comfort in knowing that at least the fact that I do feel bad about such thoughts is a good thing. It's just worrying me whether or not I might believe such thoughts really.
insha Allah it does .... continue to jahid yourself and the shayton May Allah make it easy on us all ameen you are being tested nothing happens without the will of Allah so in some way this is a blessing if you win and dont let iblis win for you pass the test and Alhumdulillah

Aishath
12-06-2010, 01:20 AM
Thank you Brother. I am going to try and ignore waswas as much as possible and try and make Dua's as much as I can as well insha Allah.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

May Allah bless you brother.

Aishath
12-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Sister, there is nothing wrong with gargling as long as water doesn't enter the throat. If it does enter, and you're aware that you're fasting then yes, the fast will break and kaffaarah will have to be started again.

Ugh I think I did this again :( I'm not a 100% sure though. I filled my hands with as little water as possible but because I wanted to clean out my teeth as well (and not just wudhu) I rinsed it out a bit more roughly than I should have. I'm not completely sure this happened but I don't know what the best thing to do would be. I'm still continuing on with my fast but do I need to start Kaffarah again? At this rate, I'm never going to make it past ten days am I :( I do suffer from waswas a lot as well so I don't know if that's what is making me feel paranoid but like I said, I'm not 100% sure because it did go a bit further down towards the throat than I intended but don't know if any water actually did trickle down or not.

أبو سليمان عمر
12-06-2010, 06:11 PM
sis just carry on with you fast and your kafarah for

1 you didnt intend to if it happened

2 it is waswas so ignore it

Aishath
12-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Just wondering, was there a ghusl I needed to do before I started kaffarah fasting cz I didn't do so and I'm on to my 8th day now :(

أبو سليمان عمر
12-10-2010, 11:55 AM
just wondering, was there a ghusl I needed to do before I started kaffarah fasting cz I didn't do so and I'm on to my 8th day now
if a person was in the state of junub then before fasting yes if the women just came of her period she needs to make ghusl but just becasue you are fasting kaffarah no you dont

Allah knows best

Aishath
12-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Assalaamu alaykum,
Thank you for the reply. I know I'm being a big pain but I have another query. I had an unwanted 'wet' dream last night. I saw this in '''s because I wasn't sure if I did actually ejaculate or not. Even though I wasn't entirely sure if I had ejaculated I decided that since there was wetness, I would do a ghusl today. I didn't rinse my mouth and nose too much so as to avoid water going down my throat and I thought that after the sun sets, I'll do that before I eat.

After the sun set, I went to the sink. In my heart I had decided that I would say the niyyat for ghusl of janabt and rinse my mouth and nose and then say the niyyat for breaking the fast and eat something. So I'd decided that I was already going to break my fast. Whilst I was rinsing my mouth I swallowed some water (no maybes, 100% sure). I quickly said the niyyat for breaking fast as well but by this point the water had already gone down my throat. I completely forgot that whilst rinsing mouth and nose so much, I quite often tend to swallow water so I didn't break my fast first before I did this.

I was wondering is my fast still valid? :S Bear in mind that it was after the sun had set cz I waited to make sure and that I went into the bathroom with the thought in my mind that I would complete my ghusl and then break fast. It just so happened that I swallowed water whilst completing my ghusl.

أبو سليمان عمر
12-11-2010, 05:21 AM
sis naam the ghusl was valid and the fasting was valid as far as i know and Allah knows best but pls listen to this
here

Aishath
12-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Link doesn't seem to open for me... :S

Aishath
12-11-2010, 02:02 PM
I am suffering from so much waswas whilst doing my Kaffarah. I'm coming on to ten days tomorrow and I really don't want to have to start over and yet I keep getting really bad waswas.

For instance, I didn't manage to make Fajr prayer this morning and then whilst I was helping my housemate clean the house, I was being really conscious of the time cz I didn't want to miss Dhuhr prayer either. I kept getting thoughts like, oh if I miss two prayers in a day then my fast will not be valid and I'll have to start over. I kind of meant it in the sense that I didn't want to miss two prayers or any if I can help it. But then I didn't really ponder over it because I was so sure I would be able to make Dhuhr prayer today.

It was getting really really close to Asr time so I quickly went into make Wudhu and I kept getting waswas of purities and I took longer than I normally would to make wudhu and for that reason I think I missed my Dhuhr prayer by 3 minutes. I know I shouldn't have left it so late so I'm going to try and not do that from now on. The reason I say think is that we have a mosque where I live where they publish certain prayer times, and we have a muslim centre in my University with different prayer times. The only major difference is with Asr prayers where there is a different of about half and hour. So I came back from wudhu and I still prayed it like normal, not like a Qadha prayer but at the back of my mind, I'm not sure if I made it or not and I feel really bad about that. I normally follow the university published muslim prayer times just because when I'm on campus, they have they prayer calls based on those times. The mosque is just half an hour away from me and I'm not sure why there is such a difference. So my Dhuhr prayer was late based on one schedule and alright based on the other. I feel bad though that I left it till so late.

But what's worse is that I now think I might have to start my kaffarah AGAIN :( I don't recall making an oath saying If i miss two prayers in a day, I'll start Kaffarah. I just had this thought that my fast would be void (in my opinion anyway) if I missed more than two prayers in a day and that I would start again. I agreed with that thought and because I was so sure I wouldn't miss Dhuhr, I didn't bother dismissing the thought as waswas. I did not say this out loud as an oath but I might have thought it as an oath :S I'm not sure. (as in the thought may have come to me in the form of an oath). I was in such a rush.

I don't really know what this means :S It bothers me so much because I didn't dismiss it as waswas and I did mean it as well. But I don't know if I would have meant it as in, I would have wanted to start my kaffarah again (because I really wouldn't want to do that), or if I would have meant it like, the fast is not really valid like the same way if a person slept from Fajr light till sunset and then ate. :S

I am really going to try my best and pray as soon as possible from now on. What's even more annoying is the fact that I have been home and could have prayed as soon as I got up but I thought I'll clean my room first because it was such a mess and that way I could pray after having cleaned the entire area.

Dagless
12-11-2010, 07:21 PM
I am suffering from so much waswas whilst doing my Kaffarah. I'm coming on to ten days tomorrow and I really don't want to have to start over and yet I keep getting really bad waswas.

For instance, I didn't manage to make Fajr prayer this morning and then whilst I was helping my housemate clean the house, I was being really conscious of the time cz I didn't want to miss Dhuhr prayer either. I kept getting thoughts like, oh if I miss two prayers in a day then my fast will not be valid and I'll have to start over. I kind of meant it in the sense that I didn't want to miss two prayers or any if I can help it. But then I didn't really ponder over it because I was so sure I would be able to make Dhuhr prayer today.
Prayer is one thing, fasting is another thing. Missing 2 prayers does not negate a fast (unless you've found some kind of evidence for it). You cannot say "oh if I miss two prayers in a day then my fast will not be valid" because you're not God. You should not worry about, or try to make up thoughts about, things you don't know and have no authority on.
If you are concerned then research for accuracy but as far as I know there is no such rule. You need to tell yourself you are following God's rules, not the ones you make up or random thoughts.

It was getting really really close to Asr time so I quickly went into make Wudhu and I kept getting waswas of purities and I took longer than I normally would to make wudhu and for that reason I think I missed my Dhuhr prayer by 3 minutes. I know I shouldn't have left it so late so I'm going to try and not do that from now on. The reason I say think is that we have a mosque where I live where they publish certain prayer times, and we have a muslim centre in my University with different prayer times. The only major difference is with Asr prayers where there is a different of about half and hour. So I came back from wudhu and I still prayed it like normal, not like a Qadha prayer but at the back of my mind, I'm not sure if I made it or not and I feel really bad about that. I normally follow the university published muslim prayer times just because when I'm on campus, they have they prayer calls based on those times. The mosque is just half an hour away from me and I'm not sure why there is such a difference. So my Dhuhr prayer was late based on one schedule and alright based on the other. I feel bad though that I left it till so late.
You should pick out which prayer timetable you follow and then stick to it.

But what's worse is that I now think I might have to start my kaffarah AGAIN :( I don't recall making an oath saying If i miss two prayers in a day, I'll start Kaffarah. I just had this thought that my fast would be void (in my opinion anyway) if I missed more than two prayers in a day and that I would start again. I agreed with that thought and because I was so sure I wouldn't miss Dhuhr, I didn't bother dismissing the thought as waswas. I did not say this out loud as an oath but I might have thought it as an oath :S I'm not sure. (as in the thought may have come to me in the form of an oath). I was in such a rush.
Don't start again. You say you did not make an oath and even if you missed the prayer it has no bearing on what you're saying! It's like saying "if there is a car parked outside the post office then my prayer is not valid today". The statement has nothing to support it and is a kind of obsessive compulsion. In my opinion you are taking things to extremes and punishing yourself for no reason. Maybe you should speak to a scholar for reassurance?

Ummu Sufyaan
12-14-2010, 02:35 AM
:sl:

do you want to know what the best way to "extinguish" wiswaas is? the key is by analyzing your actions. your actions are a direction to what your problem is...with wiswaas, one is compelled to repeat and repeat one thing over and over again. your own sanity and mind seemed to be turned against itself and it is as if something has overtaken/is controlling you. but obviously if you are repeating something over again you have some kind of doubt regarding that particular thing, otherwise why would you keep repeating the same thing, right? it doesn't make any sense to repeat something over and over unless you have some type of doubt about it right?

now we need to work on this doubt. we need to ask ourselves if our thoughts are infact true because if they are true, then we have a reason to repeat that particular action again.

The way we determine whether they are true or not, by going by reality and not mere thoughts. note the difference, it is huge but it is easy to get them confused. are you certain that you have broken your fast? Does accidentally eating nullify your fast?

You need to ask yourself these questions ...you need to question your actions because sometimes your answer to them will be “hmm, well yes....i dont really know. Why do i keep repeating myself? Why iam/why do i keep obsessing over this?” doesn’t it seem weird to you that you keep repeating the same thing and you keep getting these types of doubts frequently..doesnt the same pattern of thoughts/actions just make you wonder why you do what you do. We need to ensure that our actions in repeating that act of worship is actually justified , otherwise we cause ourselves unnecessary hassle.

fight shaytan back with questions because the burden of proof is on him, not you. he is the one suggesting these things to you, despite the fact you have fulfilled what is required of you to fast, etc so then, why is there any room for doubts? Where are these doubts coming from? Why are they occurring? shaytan must have evidence that you are doing something wrong, otherwise why would he suggest this to you. Don’t you think such a claim needs proof. ibn al-mubbrak rahimahullah did.
9 - You should not give in to Satan’s whispers.

In ‘Tartib al-Madarik’ (1/159), it is related that Ibn al-Mubarak was making ablution, and Satan came to him and said: “You did not wipe over this part of your body.” Ibn al-Mubarak said: “I did.” Satan said: “No, you didn’t.” So, Ibn al-Mubarak said: “You are the one making the claim, and you must therefore bring proof to back the claim up.”
http://www.islamicboard.com/words-wi...ml#post1110923

Besides i doubt shaytaan would be nice enough as to give you dawah and suggest that you are indeed doing the wrong thing. shaytan is there to destroy you, so i wouldn't hold my breath. When you are sinning do you hear him say to you “You’re disobeying your parents ^o)” or “you should lower your gaze ^o)” etc etc. God knows, he might be giving himself a pat on the back or getting a big head.

Also knowledge cancels out doubts, so know your Islam. This helps a lot because then you know what you need to worry about and what not to. we do not cancel doubt out by using doubt, this makes no sense. doubt is only cancelled out by certainty and one way that certainty is gained, is by knowledge.... so you must fight this with knowledge.
you have to fight and remain vigilant because i hate to say it, it wont be easy but if you put the effort in, it will be worth it, inshallah.

when you feel some of your "insanity" has been removed (and thus you have more control over your actions) beware of shaytaan trying to convince you in a kind manner that you should continue to act on your doubts. Those doubts will still be there, but they aren’t as forceful... before he used to be forceful because he knew you would buy it. but now you are more stronger he needs something else to convince you, something else that you will be fooled by....it's true, kindness kills.

wiswaas will lead you to unnecessarily finding your religion difficult but we know that islam isn’t difficult based on the hadiths, etc that give us leeway in certain matters...

wiswaas sometimes is just getting your doubts confused...so basically you are doubting your doubts. thats what really is the problem sometimes. But as i said, have to extinguish this by going by what is certain. leave it simple and dont complicate matters. Doubts is not a cure for doubts. certainty is a cure for doubts.

another tip is, is to be careful of expectating that you will get wiswaas during an act of worship. What happens sometimes is that these doubts and acting on them may became a habit and when you have any type of habit, you unconsciously/naturally adjust yourself to deal with it...so when you act on something, you are unconsciously assuming that such and such will happen/will be the result. Without realizing it, this particular mindset/assumption itself is what maybe causing you to doubt.

I don’t really know how to explain it, but by having such assumptions/mindset doubts will naturally arise because the way you have thought/acted, you have basically directed yourself to creating doubts. you, yourself are the cause of these doubts. Does that make sense?

i recall reading in another thread of yours that you get confused between the difference of opinion, so i think its important to do some research about how to deal with a difference of opinion. The lack of understanding on how deal with a difference of opinion is probably what is confusing you more, rather than the issue at hand. What does a difference of opinion mean for an “ordinary” Muslim? What do i do when im “bombarded” with multiple opinions on one issue? How do I know which opinion to follow, etc? This really helps and it perhaps may help more if you understand the reasons for differences of opinion in the first place. Im not sure what would work for you, but understanding the background of something, could perhaps you better insight on how to deal with it.

Aishath
12-16-2010, 03:31 PM
I do apologise for writing another message without properly responding to the replies I have receieved. I am slightly panicking. I am on day 14 of my fasting and I was in a meeting earlier and I've been getting a lot of phlegm in the back of my throat so I've been trying to spit it out rather than swallow it. I must have done it too much or my throat must have got too dry cz I smelt some blood. I tried to spit most of it out discreetly since I was in a meeting and I don't know if I spit out any blood. I then tried to swallow again and tasted some blood but it wasn't really blood on its own. More like mixed in a lot with saliva. I spit out again a few more times and after I swallowed a few times it was okay. I think my throat must have just been so dry from me spitting out phlegm all day. I'm so scared now that this might have broken my fast I read somewhere online that if one swallows the blood in the mouth it breaks fast. I'm on day 14 and it would be so difficult to start over again

Aishath
12-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Someone please respond :( I'll need to know before I go to bed tonight. :( The more I think about it, the more I think it was the actual phlegm that was a bit blood-mixed. Sorry for being so descriptive and stuff. I tried to spit as much as possible and get the phlegm out as well but it was so far back in the throat I couldn't anyway. I don't know how much blood I tasted or if I'd just kind of swallowed over a cut or something. I spat out a lot and then swallowed not being a 100% sure it was still bloody or not but after I had tried a lot to get it all out. :S I'm slightly panicking now. Actually a lot

أبو سليمان عمر
12-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Someone please respond :( I'll need to know before I go to bed tonight. :( The more I think about it, the more I think it was the actual phlegm that was a bit blood-mixed. Sorry for being so descriptive and stuff. I tried to spit as much as possible and get the phlegm out as well but it was so far back in the throat I couldn't anyway. I don't know how much blood I tasted or if I'd just kind of swallowed over a cut or something. I spat out a lot and then swallowed not being a 100% sure it was still bloody or not but after I had tried a lot to get it all out. :S I'm slightly panicking now. Actually a lot
Sis Insha Allah you should be fine carry on fasting and insha Allah tonite when it is morning in yemen i will call and ask a shaykh and post but you countiune to fast until then Insha Allah

Aishath
12-16-2010, 11:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by أبو سليمان عمر
Sis Insha Allah you should be fine carry on fasting and insha Allah tonite when it is morning in yemen i will call and ask a shaykh and post but you countiune to fast until then Insha Allah
Thank you :( It is really difficult since this is the fourth time I have had to start over, mostly waswas troubling me and so on. I have tried finding information on it and I came across something which said if it was done by accident, it's okay (from islam qa) and another where it said if the blood was less than the saliva (in terms of colour and so on) it is alright. :S

Woodrow
12-16-2010, 11:42 PM
:sl: Uhktee,

From the sources I find it does not seem you broke your fast and do not need to startover. But, you may fast an additional day if you feel a need to make this day up. You do not need to start over.

Ever source I find is saying essentially this:

THINGS THAT BREAK ONE’S FAST BUT REQUIRE ONLY A MAKEUP

Anything put by force into the mouth of a fasting person.

Water going down the throat whilst gargling, (whilst being conscious of one’s fast).

To vomit mouthful intentionally or to return vomit down the throat.

Intentionally swallowing a pebble, piece of paper or any item that is not used as food or medicine.

Swallowing something edible, equal to or bigger than a grain of gram which was stuck between the teeth. However if it is first taken out of the mouth and swallowed, it will break the fast whether it is smaller or bigger than the size of a gram.

Dripping oil into the ear canal (F: such that it goes beyond the ear drum).

Inhaling snuff into the nostrils.

Swallowing the blood from the gums if the color of the blood is more than the saliva with which it is mixed.

To eat and drink forgetting that one is fasting and thereafter thinking that the fast is broken, to eat and drink again. [F: There are three ways something can enter your body cavity while fasting:

Deliberately. This breaks the fast;

Forgetfully. This does not, because of the Prophetic (Allah bless him & give him peace) guidance that it does not. (Otherwise, legal reasoning (qiyas) alone would have indicated that it does.)

Mistakenly/Accidentally. This breaks the fast. An example: what you mentioned; or if one ate thinking that fajr time had not come in or maghrib time come in, when the contrary was true.]

10. To eat and drink after subha sadiq or to break the fast before sunset due to a cloudy sky or a faulty watch, etc., and then realizing one’s fault.

N.B. Any fast other than a Ramadan one, whether broken intentionally or with a good and valid reason, makes only a makeup necessary [F: this is true even for non-obligatory fasts, because of the legal principle in the Hanafi school that, ‘. There is no kaffara for breaking any fast besides that of Ramadan.
SOURCE

Dagless
12-16-2010, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
:sl: Uhktee,

From the sources I find it does not seem you broke your fast and do not need to startover. But, you may fast an additional day if you feel a need to make this day up. You do not need to start over.

Ever source I find is saying essentially this:

SOURCE
Now you've confused me! So if you break a kaffarah fast then you only need to make up that one fast? I thought kaffarah fasts need to be done in one go? and therefore breaking one would require all to be done again?

Btw Aileen there is no need to cough up phlegm at the back of your throat (unless you want to of course). In fact coughing it up might be dangerous because you may swallow it accidentally when it reaches your mouth. Even it coming to your mouth and going back down breaking your fast is a disputed matter. Insha'Allah someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Woodrow
12-17-2010, 12:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Now you've confused me! So if you break a kaffarah fast then you only need to make up that one fast? I thought kaffarah fasts need to be done in one go? and therefore breaking one would require all to be done again?

Btw Aileen there is no need to cough up phlegm at the back of your throat (unless you want to of course). In fact coughing it up might be dangerous because you may swallow it accidentally when it reaches your mouth. Even it coming to your mouth and going back down breaking your fast is a disputed matter. Insha'Allah someone will correct me if I am wrong.
:sl:

Please read the bold type again. The Ramadan fast is the only kaffarah fast. there is no kaffarah for any other fast. As long as it is not your Ramadan fast you only need to make up the missed day. At least that is what I am getting from every source I check.

Aishath
12-17-2010, 11:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Please read the bold type again. The Ramadan fast is the only kaffarah fast. there is no kaffarah for any other fast. As long as it is not your Ramadan fast you only need to make up the missed day. At least that is what I am getting from every source I check.
I used to think the same as brother Dagless as well. I thought that if you broke a fast whilst kaffarah fasting, you need to start over regardless of whether you broke it on purpose or not... Cz I've started my kaffarah fasting 3/4 times now cz I accidentally swallowed some water whilst making wudhu and I was told by the imam here that it invalidated my fast and that I need to start again. Least that's what I think he meant :S

As long as yesterday remains a valid fast, I'm okay. :S

Aishath
12-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Oh I did find this on islamqa actually:

'Swallowing blood is one of the things that invalidate the fast, but if some blood enters a person’s throat involuntarily, without him intending that to happen, then there is no sin on him and he does not invalidate his fast thereby, but if he deliberately swallows it then his fast is invalidated thereby'.

I hope that applies to me because I definitely did not intend for blood to be there and I tried to get it out as much as possible. (although there were no traces of blood from what I spat out from what I could tell).

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/78484

Also does something like unintentionally inhaling some dust or anything break the fast? I am cleaning my room and I licked my lips not knowing there was some fluff from the pillows or maybe dry skin there. I tried to get it out but I couldn't locate it so I gathered up as much saliva as I could and spat out a couple of times. I didn't see it come out at all but then I don't know if I swallowed it or not either. I'm assuming that doesn't break the fast though...?

أبو سليمان عمر
12-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Naam sis it applies to u as well i the shaykh said Insha Allah the fast is vaild for

1 it was not intentionally and it wasnt much

2 you didnt sniff it from your nose to get it to your throat it was in your thorat and you tried sppiting it out

so alhumdulillah countiune your fast Insha Allah and as the brother said if it will make you fell better fast one more day after

Aishath
12-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Thank you to everyone and for asking the shaykh as well for me

Aishath
12-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Assalaamu alaykum,

I am mega panicking now. Today is day 17 of my fasting and I am approaching 20 soon insha Allah.

I normally brush my teeth with tooth paste in the mornings although I avoid doing this if I know I won't leave the house sometimes or won't be speaking to people since I know using toothpaste isn't recommended. I just woke up and I was aware I was fasting but I was just sleepy and lost in thought and I THINK some toothpaste might have gone a bit far down my throat. I can't be sure because everytime I breathe there is this minty smell. I'm not sure if it's just at the back of my tongue and it's there cz I can't properly gargle when fasting or if it went a bit far down my throat. It didn't feel like it reached my stomach as in I couldn't feel it going all the way down my throat or anything. It's as if I might have a spot of mint lodged there in my throat. I avoided swallowing spit as much as possible just in case it is in my throat and I might accidentally taste or swallow the mint. At the same time, I'm not too sure because I definitely didn't swallow any toothpaste on purpose. I'm normally really careful but I was just thinking of a dream I had whilst brushing my teeth. At one point I realised I had way too much in my mouth and needed to spit out and stuff like that, I'm normally really careful with :S I knew I was fasting but at the same time not fully concentrating on it cz I'd just woken up.

I don't know what to do. I would happily re-fast the day but the constant fear of having to re-start kaffarah is really discouraging :( I felt so upset when I had to re-start after three days alone although obviously if that is the case then insha Allah, I would try my best to continue. What I thought of was to just fast for 60 days and then maybe do an extra ten in case there might be days I needed to make up for? :S

Aishath
12-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Any replies? :( sorry to be pushy but it is worrying me cz I don't know what to do about tomorrow. I guess I could keep on fasting and just make an intention every night to fast a kaffarah fast.

Ramadhan
12-21-2010, 03:19 AM
Do not worry too much, it did not break your fasting insha Allah.

Aishath
12-27-2010, 02:49 AM
Assalaamu alaykum,

This question is more out of interest than anything else and not specific for my kaffarah fasting, but more to include all fasts (including Ramadan). Insha Allah, since I've been fasting, I have been trying to stay away from sin much better. However, I know a lot of people who do listen to music and watch TV whilst fasting which are obviously not preferred. I was wondering if things such as listening to music actually break your fast? I know they limit the rewards of fasting (from my understanding) but do they actually break the fast of the one who does listen to music whilst fasting or watch TV?

Thank you. May Allah bless you.

Hamza Asadullah
12-27-2010, 02:58 AM
Assalaamu alaykum,

This question is more out of interest than anything else and not specific for my kaffarah fasting, but more to include all fasts (including Ramadan). Insha Allah, since I've been fasting, I have been trying to stay away from sin much better. However, I know a lot of people who do listen to music and watch TV whilst fasting which are obviously not preferred. I was wondering if things such as listening to music actually break your fast? I know they limit the rewards of fasting (from my understanding) but do they actually break the fast of the one who does listen to music whilst fasting or watch TV?

Thank you. May Allah bless you.
Asalaamu Alaikum, the answer to your question is no it doesn't break the fast but as you have mentioned not only does the reward lessen but depending on how many sins a person does whilst fasting it may be the case that a person may not get any reward at all and just fast gaining hunger nothing more. That is why it is incumbant that a fasting person guard their tongue, eyes, ears and privates away from haraam.

Fasting is a very virtueous act and one which can gain us huge rewards but for some of us who do not abstain from sins whilst fasting it may give us nothing but hunger.

May Allah enable us to carry out all good deeds in the best way possible so that we may earn optimum rewards for ALL our good deeds. Ameen

And Allah knows best in all matters

Aishath
12-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Asalaamu alaykum,

I was wondering if the fast gets invalidated by water accidentally getting into your ears when taking a shower? I'm not sure if it went in all the way but obviously when you take a shower, your ears get wet as well. I assumed no because of the many responses I saw online which stated that swimming whilst fasting is allowed as long as water does not enter through the mouth/nose. What do you think?

Thank you

أبو سليمان عمر
12-29-2010, 04:30 PM
no sis it does not

here is the link you said didnt open for you

http://understand-islam.net/site/ind...disi&Itemid=83

Aishath
12-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Asalaamu alaykum Brother,
Thank you for the reply and the link brother. I hope you don't mind but I had another question that has been worrying me all day now.

On day 17 or so, I thought I swallowed some toothpaste and posted on the thread. I also contacted a mufti via a webstie given to me by one of the Moderators and they took a few days to get back to me. Meanwhile, I kept on fasting because I did not want to take a break. I was told by two others Mods that my fasting was probably valid though since I wasn't a 100% sure I did swallow toothpaste (although I think I probably did but I might be saying this now because I am so worried). Anyway I made an intention that night that if I find out that my fast was not valid, I will fast an extra 20 days after my kaffarah fasting of 60 days (so altogether 80 days). I made a Dua that if this day was invalid during the initial 20, that Allah (swt) will accept the last 60 days out of the 80 as my kaffarah fasting and the first 20 as sunnat fasts (minus any invalidated day(s)).

I heard back from the Mufti who said my fast was broken so I decided to fast 20 extra days. I made an intention that night I recall. However I did not renew my Kaffarah as such and the reason behind that was because like I said, I was not 100% sure (although I am leaning towards it more and more now) and also I have had to re-start 3 times before and the idea of going back to 0 was just so discouraging. Instead I thought I would keep on counting from 17,18.... and go on to 80 so essentially doing the same thing then.

I then heard back from the Mufti saying that I need to renew kaffarah if I find out a single day was broken during the fasting which I did not do :( I am quite confused now to be honest. I want to make sure my kaffarah fasting is as close to perfect as I can make it because I know how paranoid I am and I don't want to look back and wonder whether I did it correctly.

What should I do? Should I continue on as I am bearing in mind that I did make an intention and a Dua that I would fast 80 days and the reason was because of this one day I was unsure about....

أبو سليمان عمر
12-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Asalamu alakum

Insha Allah sis countine to fast and i will ask a shaykh tonite and if you speak arabic i can give you the audio of the talk i will post the answer this time tomorrow Insha Allah or sooner

Aishath
12-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Thank you sooo much brother and no I don't speak Arabic unfortunately.

Thank you v v much though. I am just feeling like I will never finish my fasting the rate this is going and especially cz I'm so paranoid and don't know whether I did swallow anything or not 100%

أبو سليمان عمر
12-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Asalamu alaykum sis

the shaykh advices you to try to ignore the countiuos waswas
he also says that if it was not done intentionally meaning it happened unintentionally then the fast is still valid even if it went down your throat but be more carful
And Allah knows best

Aishath
12-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Thank you Brother.

I am trying to be much much more careful now. Thank you so much for asking the shaykh. May Allah bless you for all your help.

Can I just clarify something else as well?

I was brushing my teeth (using just a toothbrush, minus the toothpaste) this morning when I realised a lot of blood was coming out of my mouth when I spat out. I'm not too sure what happened, I THINK it had to do with my wisdom teeth and I might have brushed it a bit too hard. Anyway I spat it all out and to the best of my knowledge, did not swallow anything at all. I do not recall anything going down my throat as far as I could tell. I rinsed out my mouth a few times afterwards, and spat out a few more times before swallowing any spit to make sure all traces of blood were gone and insha Allah, the spit had no traces of blood. I did not taste any blood when I did swallow so I'm assuming that was because nothing went down my throat then. In this case, am I right to assume then that my fast is insha Allah, valid?

أبو سليمان عمر
12-31-2010, 06:18 AM
Asalamu alaykum

Naam the fast is still vaild insha Allah becasue you say you didnt swallow blood and more certain you didnt

Aishath
01-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Asalaamu alaykum,

I apologise for the nature of this message but I am getting really worried and have tried to contact some sister mods as well.

I had to stop fasting due to my menses cycle which I know is allowed. However, I am really worried that I might accidentally be missing a day when I am actually tahir due to me not being sure. I get really irregular periods and there is no consistency really. I also recently read about something called istihaadah and I have no idea how to tell which is which although I have read the signs to distinguish. They really aren't very helpful when you get irregular periods to be honest.

I woke up today just a few minutes before Fajr and I assumed my period had ended due to not emitting anything over night. I didn't check much further than this but I made an intention, did the ghusl and fasted today (today being the 6th of Jan). I then proceeded to fast and pray today although occasionally I was wondering if I did the right thing by simply making an assumption and not checking further by using a cloth or something. I was praying Maqrib when I then emitted more blood but even whilst praying I just thought this was normal discharge and kept on praying. It was only later I realised it was a small amount of blood which I think might be istihaadah?? but I don't know because normally for me, the last few days of my cycle, I do get irregular bleeding which seems to be similar to what istihaadah seems to be :S But I always just assume it to be part of my menses cycle so I'm not familiar with this.

I'm worried about today, whether the fast was valid. Obviously I wouldn't worry so much if it was not valid due to menses because that wouldn't affect my kaffarah to the best of my knowledge insha Allah but just in general, I am really confused. I don't know if I should make another ghusl or what or if I'm meant to restart my kaffarah because I'm wondering if the yesterday (5th of Jan) when I got really small traces/irregular bleeding, that was istihaadah as well.

Can anyone please help me on this matter :( I only began my period on the 2nd of Jan and to be honest, if I hadn't read up on this istihaadah thing, I would have just assumed day 4/5 and small irregular bleeding was just part of my period and nothing else but now I'm getting really confused. I normally wait till day 7 and then make a ghusl because bleeding normally comes to an end on day 6 but I've always been told it was best to wait a night and half a day or so to make sure completely than rush to make ghusl but because I am worried I might not be fasting on a day I am tahir, I am rushing my ghusl in case my menses has ended.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!