/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

Amoeba
12-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Is dua made in a dream or in a state of sleep paralysis valid? Does it matter if you were aware of being in a dream/sleep paralysis or not? What if you were aware that you were dreaming or in sleep paralysis but made the dua anyway?

I wasn't sure because although you are self-aware and conscious of the fact you're dreaming, your mind still doesn't quite work the same as if you were awake so I don't know if that falls under being in an altered state of mind or not even though it's natural and there's no alcohol/drugs involved.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
I experienced that few times.
Sometimes I get very lucid dream; have you seen the movie "inception", well it is quite similar to that, and I was aware that I was dreaming, and I made du'as also.
There is no such thing as "validity" of dua/supplications. dua is not like shalah where you have to fulfill several rukoons to make it valid.
HOwever, there is thing called "adab" in making dua.
adab is things which are highly recommended, so adab in dua would be:
clean clothes (free from najasa), sincere, etc. etc

Amoeba
12-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Oh ok. I was aware of the lesser restrictions of dua but I've never heard of there being no restrictions, though I have heard of reccomendations for preparing for and making dua. I had heard that you needed to not be in an altered state of mind (I think referring to drugs, alcohol, consciousness and sanity) but I wasn't sure if that encompased both salah and supplication or if it was only for salah (spelling? I always get mixed up with salah and salat???). Anyway thanks for your input I'll need to study this a bit further to reduce my ignorance, hahaha!

Alpha Dude
12-06-2010, 02:35 PM
salah (spelling? I always get mixed up with salah and salat???)
Probably salah is the best English transliteration of the Arabic word. People use salat too though. It's nothing major.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IAmZamzam
12-06-2010, 03:10 PM
There is a hadith (I don't remember the exact reference) which says that our deeds are not being recorded while we're dreaming, while we're little children, or while we're insane.

أبو سليمان عمر
12-06-2010, 04:26 PM
It was narrated from ‘Ali that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Pen has been lifted from three: from the one who is sleeping until he wakes up, from the child until he reaches the age of puberty, and from one who is insane until he comes to his senses.”

(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1343; Ibn Maajah, 3032; al-Nasaa’i, 3378)

Hamza Asadullah
07-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Surah Mulk will intercede for its reciter until they are forgiven:

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (RA) that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:

There is a Surah of the Quran containing thirty verses which have interceded for a man until he was forgiven. It is the Surah Tabaarak alladhi bi yadihi’l-mulk. (Al-Tirmidhi, 2891; Ahmad, 7634; Abu Dawood, 1400; Ibn Maajah, 3786)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!