/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite things about winter?

Grace Seeker
12-07-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm taking Guestfellow's suggestion that non-Muslims need to be involved in more than just debate seriously. So, this is definitely a non-debate thread. Just tell us what are your favorite things about winter. I suppose we might learn a lot about each other's homelands as in someplaces winter means snow and ice while in others it might mean rain or drought. And it might not be weather, but other things that people love. So, let's see if we can share and learn and be civil with one another.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Grace Seeker
12-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm one of those folks that others in my part of the country tend to hate. I can't wait for winter to get here full of cold and snow. I haven't always felt this way, so I can empathize with those who don't like the idea of having to bundle up to go out in the cold or who don't like driving on slippery ice-covered roads. But it takes cold and snow for one of my favorite activities, skiing, so those very things that others often cite as hating are my favorite parts of winter.

ICYUNVMe
12-07-2010, 06:28 PM
This is a good idea....

I'm the opposite of you in this regard, Grace Seeker. My favorite thing about the Winter is the end of the season. I'm not a big fan of the cold, or snow, or darkness, or Black Friday shoppers.

I'm a Spring/Summer person.

S.Belle
12-07-2010, 07:27 PM
i love everything about winter especially going out in bad weather and everyone rushing to buy up all the bread, eggs, and water. I like how you can bundle up in a bunch of clothes and then go home to nice big cup of tea/ hot chocolate.
And everyone cant go to work/ school bc of the roads so that is a day to chillax with the family.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Asiyah3
12-07-2010, 08:38 PM
My favority thing is that there's no bugs in winter (I have nothing against them, but they "bite"). In addition, you can find long sleeves shirts in stores al-hamdulillah.

Alpha Dude
12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Long nights. Cold weather. Snow.

De-TeR-mIn-Ed
12-07-2010, 08:44 PM
salaams

My fav thing abt winter HAS to be walking all hunched up, the cold air that hits your face, the smoke that comes out from your mouth:p and the snow..its so beautiful..it never ceases to amaze me..subhannalalh wen u look at it u remember allah's beauty...subhanallah

GuestFellow
12-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Salaam,

I like winter, it is my favourite time of the year. I feel awake in the winter, unlike summer. I like it when it snows and rains. I like the sound of thunder too.

Maryan0
12-07-2010, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
i love everything about winter especially going out in bad weather and everyone rushing to buy up all the bread, eggs, and water. I like how you can bundle up in a bunch of clothes and then go home to nice big cup of tea/ hot chocolate.
And everyone cant go to work/ school bc of the roads so that is a day to chillax with the family.
Nice. School never closes where I live :raging:, neither do we get to take a day off from work and we have some pretty harsh winters that last for half the year. I mean the snow starts in November and melts for the most part in May. Spring and fall are practically non-existent.
My favourite thing about winter is snow...
Salam

Grace Seeker
12-07-2010, 08:58 PM

I remember liking that part as well when I was still in school. We would start praying for snow days as early as October, though it was at least December before it was ever bad enough to actually need one.

CosmicPathos
12-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I am afraid but thats a bit cliche now .... no one enjoys bundling up in clothes. No one enjoys the penetrating arrows of freezing winds seering through 10 layers of woolen clothings ... no one enjoys slipping on black ice and breaking their femoral heads ... winter is the manifestation of death.

the talk of "cozy clothes" and "hot chocolates" irk me because they dont seem to be working!

Tyrion
12-07-2010, 09:19 PM
I've always preferred cold weather over hot weather, simply because when its cold you can easily get warm by covering up, but when its hot... There's not much you can do. :p Also, I find grey skies to be oddly soothing/calming... Slightly depressing too, but in a good way. Then theres also winter break, but first I've gotta get through finals... :(

S.Belle
12-07-2010, 11:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
I am afraid but thats a bit cliche now .... no one enjoys bundling up in clothes. No one enjoys the penetrating arrows of freezing winds seering through 10 layers of woolen clothings ... no one enjoys slipping on black ice and breaking their femoral heads ... winter is the manifestation of death. the talk of "cozy clothes" and "hot chocolates" irk me because they dont seem to be working!
Well it works for me lol it could be just me as a person but I dont mind the penetrating arrows of freezing winds its kinda fun toughing it out...you must live in the city or something I've spent most of my life in the country and winter was the best and it was really beautiful when hiking in the woods because its really peaceful.

Neelofar
12-07-2010, 11:45 PM
I used to love the snow :D up until last year when i slipped on some ice aAaARrGgHh! Now i'm sick at the sight of it :p i'm more of an autumn person; when you start to realise it's starting to get darker earlier, the leaves on trees turning a deep red and orange, stepping on crunchy fallen leaves nd best of all watching it rain nd the smell of rain too! Mmmm i could just eat it up :D

Grace Seeker
12-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Yeah, autumn is nice too. It used to be my favorite season, until recently. Tonight I was reminded of another thing I like in winter, or at least in December (because it doesn't last all winter), that is all the pretty decorations. I had about an hour's drive home through several small towns, hamlets really, with lots of open country inbetween. And every house was lit up with lights in seemingly an infinite variety of combinations, designs and colors. Set against the black background of the night sky it was all very lovely.

~Raindrop~
12-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Longer nights in winter, so I get to sleep longer. That's the best bit.
And making snowladies. :D And snow angels. And having snowball fights.
What I DON'T like is the icy bit that comes after the snow. :-\

Grace Seeker
12-08-2010, 02:43 AM
I've heard of snow angels, but what are snow ladies?

Cabdullahi
12-08-2010, 02:57 AM
I like winter because its the only time non-religious women dress appropriately

But they put the heaters at uni too high making our eyes melt into egg whites as we view the lab screens

Beardo
12-08-2010, 02:58 AM
I prefer colder weather. Problem: It's easier to fall asleep in comfort but harder to wake up in the cold. x_x

~Raindrop~
12-08-2010, 02:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
I've heard of snow angels, but what are snow ladies?
Feminine version of snowmen. =D complete with accessories :X

Cabdullahi
12-08-2010, 03:02 AM
A snowman with hijab, bangles and aladdin shoes

~Raindrop~
12-08-2010, 03:08 AM
lolol how would you get bangles and aladdin shoes on her???

Amoeba
12-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Okay what I love about winter is that there's far less people out at night, especially a lot less people wandering around drunk and making noise while I'm trying to sleep (I'm a light sleeper, wake up easily, don't fall asleep easily so I sleep little during summer). Plus there's far less of the little vandals out during the day.

I like how the landscape transforms when it snows. Everything looks and feels (under your feet) so much more rugged and natural. We usually don't get much snow but these past two winters has been very snowy (this winter so far, it might clear up).

I like how poeple walk more and rely less on cars. I know it's a major disruption for a lot of people, but for some it's a simple case of being too used to the car and discovering that, hey, they actually CAN walk and hey, they actually kind of like it. Also I've noticed because of this people become more sociable and helpful towards one another.

Also I thought making snowmen/women was impermissible?

A lady reporting the news about closed motorways looked so cold that her breath was being taken away (she was gasping) even though she was wrapped up in puffy clothing. So it's pretty chilly.

Tyrion
12-08-2010, 08:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba

Also I thought making snowmen/women was impermissible?
Why would it be impermissible? o.o

Endymion
12-08-2010, 08:48 AM
I love the golden afternoons of winter.After 3 AM here,the sun light turns soft,feels a little warm and nice and the color turns light orange/golden.It makes every thing looks beautiful.I wish that this time stays long so i can enjoy the beauty standing in my balcony or walking on the silent streets.

Endymion
12-08-2010, 08:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
I like winter because its the only time non-religious women dress appropriately
Lol....the same thing said by the old lady live in front of my home :)

Amoeba
12-08-2010, 09:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Why would it be impermissible? o.o
Well, if drawing or sculpting animate creatures is forbidden, even if it's an imaginary creature, doesn't sculpting a snow creature fall under sculpting an animate creature?

Tyrion
12-08-2010, 09:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
Well, if drawing or sculpting animate creatures is forbidden, even if it's an imaginary creature, doesn't sculpting a snow creature fall under sculpting an animate creature?
Ohh... Well, I've never really considered drawing things to be forbidden. I mean, I've never been taught that it's actually forbidden, and I've met very few Muslims in real life who take that opinion... Based on my knowledge, there are differing opinions on it, and based on what I've seen, most Muslims (practicing, pious Muslims) that I know don't consider it to be forbidden at all... But I do know that people on this board feel differently, and I'll probably get quite a few responses telling me how wrong I am. :p

Al-manar
12-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm a winter fan .... I enjoy eating,sleeping ,thinking,reflecting more than any other season ....
I like the sunless , mysterious dark,cold sky .....

I like the elegant clothes of winter , people tend to behave nicer than in hot summer, the tasty picante meals I dare not to eat in summer...

Ansariyah
12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
I love the beautiful scenery outside when everything is covered in snow. The calmness on earth. The refreshing peaceful breeze that hits my face. Ah! Priceless.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!