/* */

PDA

View Full Version : State your method of passing by the time

Samiun
12-08-2010, 08:02 PM
:sl:, how are you all today. It's Awal Muharram .A year has passed, for me, everything changed. Since my discovery of Islam(in more detail) in the late Dec of 2009, I was bound to go on a journey of no return which is to reach the Highest Ranks in Paradise. To me, that would really be impossible but with the help Allah S.W.T. Inshallah, I could climb up that ladder. Although I learned much, I am still unable to respond properly to those who question me. I would feel hurt, numb, nervous or sometimes panic in my own heart when I have to use logic to respond. I think it's still a long way for me to get to that point of knowledge where I can answer everyone who wants to refute or question me.

Well that's enough of me, what are your methods of passing by the time? I'm going outstation soon and I'm going to a 10-hour flight. I was thinking of bringing in an Ipad to watch movies/lectures but something better stopped me from doing that. Which is zikr, I am thinking of praising Allah for the entire 10-hour flight. I tried 10-20minutes before and WHEW, that was really hard! 10 minutes of zikr is enough to make me lose my patient. But I know by remembering Allah my heart would be calm. I don't think I could do zikr for 10 hours.Is there any other alternative that I can use or my idea is just garbage..? Oh yeah and I'm afraid of heights!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IAmZamzam
12-08-2010, 08:31 PM
The human mind cannot sustain anything comfortably and naturally for ten hours. No focus, no emotion, is likely to last that long and even if it does the amount of mental energy that will have to be put into sustaining it will probably be in an unsavory ratio to the thing itself. The worst that can happen is that it actually becomes tedious for you. And worship is the last thing we want suffering any of that, isn't it?

Have you not thought of bringing a book to read on the flight? I discovered my favorite novel that way.

SlaveOfGod
12-08-2010, 09:18 PM
I normally play sports, but you can't do that on a plane lol If it's an empty flight, go to the back and find an empty row and sleep!! It's a great past time on a plane. If you bring your iPad, download a few decent apps to keep you busy. Try to deviate between Zikr and using your iPad/Sleeping, it'll keep you fresh. But, be sure to bring some sucking sweets for when the plane is landing!!

All the best bro :)

Sawdah
12-09-2010, 01:22 AM
:sl: akhee,

A way to pass time on the plane is to read Qur'an, bring a novel (as br. Yahya Sulaiman has mentioned) or you can listen to your iPod or MP3 player and watch videos, listen to Qur'an, lectures or nasheeds. You can also play sudoku games, crossword puzzles, or logic games if you're interested in that. Try not to waste your time in doing nothing brother because time is precious and you want to benefit from each minute of it, inshaAllah.

Hope my suggestions helped.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tyrion
12-09-2010, 01:39 AM
Do you have some kind of Game Boy? A DS? A psp? Perhaps games on your laptop? :p That could keep you busy for a few hours at least... If you don't have a game system, then reading a few books seems like the next best thing.

Ramadhan
12-09-2010, 03:26 AM
In my experience, among the top ways of spending time inside a long haul flight is (as has been suggested above): reading a book and sleeping.
Just pick up any book you've been meaning to read but has not or one of those books that you haven't finished.
Or, if you are flying a 747 where the middle rows is 5 seats across, scan the back of the plane when you get in, and if you find an empty row, prepare yourself to move there as soon as the doors are closed (no more passengers in), and claim it, then push all the armrests up, and make yourself comfy and sleep horizontally :)

Oh, don't forget to bring moisturizers or you crack your skin when you land.

ardianto
12-09-2010, 04:26 AM
At least 10 hours in airplane is better than 2 hour on boat on the sea with high waves and fast wind. It made my 2 hours was like a year. ;D

جوري
12-09-2010, 04:51 AM
I have personally taken a zolpidem on every recent flight, brush my teeth, wear comfy soft cottony clothes , and a sleep mask that blocks light and sound-- I have also taken and been engrossed in books before but that was all prior to a very bad incident I had where we lost altitude and all I heard for a good 20 mins were the cries of children, the screams of woman and panic stricken men..now I simply think if it is time to go, it is best to not be conscious of it.

Beardo
12-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Wifi serves me well. :) Alhamdulillah.

But I'm trying to take on the art of reading.

tigerkhan
12-09-2010, 06:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
But I'm trying to take on the art of reading.
agree...a good book, if u like reading.

Zafran
12-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Salaam

Reading books, watching a movie on your laptop, some zikr, Quran on your I pod or MP3 player - maybe trying out the inboard entertainment system

peace

Muhaba
12-09-2010, 01:38 PM
i love to read, but on a plane, i like to do zikr at the time of lift of and when it's about to land, so i read ayatul Kursi and other azkar of protection at that time, cuz i'm always afraid something wil go wrong and we might die. reciting Astaghfirullah is also a good thing at this time. during the rest of the flight, it depends on the length of flight. i might fall asleep if the flight is too long.

Grace Seeker
12-10-2010, 12:06 AM
On long plane flights, if you are over land, I like to notice the change in geography, the appearance of rivers, cities, lakes, roads, and mountains. I take a map and by it chart where we are. It interesting to see how it all fits together from 30,000 feet. I also observe that the borders that seem to mean so much to us on the ground aren't actually there on the ground. They are a manmade creation. I find that a good reminder and worth reflecting on.

Over oceans a book, a magazine, a conversation with my seatmates are ways to pass the time. And at night, sleep.

Most long haul flights will also show movies -- some are good and some aren't. It's just the luck of the draw on that sort of thing. But if you like movies, now days a portable DVD player and set of headphones is cheap or load them into your laptop. In fact you could study or work on almost anything that way.

GuestFellow
12-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Salaam,

I read a book to pass time.

Samiun
12-12-2010, 11:33 AM
:sl: thanks for all your replies. When I had a 2 hour flight a while ago, I was reciting a dua which is related to 'trials and tribulations' when the plane have turbulence. Yes I know that was something a little awkward since that's not even 1/2 of a real trial and tribulation by Allah S.W.T., but I fear the plane would crash so you get my point. In regard to books, I like to read them once in a while but get bored after 1-2 hours reading it. I have plenty of pdf files that I carry unto my Ipad to read during flight. I could play some computer games like Tyrion said but my laptop can only last for 1-2 hours.

@Naidamar
Why do I need moisturizers for? I had experienced a 5-hour flight and didn't crack my skin!

@Muhaba
I have the same fears as you do..

@The Yale's Lily
A Zopidem eh? I could Inshallah try that but I need to hope that the flight I'm boarding on sells one of those thing.

@Guestfellow
Interesting, but I find that flying above 10000 feet is making the ground less visible due to the clouds that block the view

Ramadhan
12-12-2010, 12:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nbeel
Why do I need moisturizers for? I had experienced a 5-hour flight and didn't crack my skin!
I've done a number of flights v.v. from jakarta to US (total flight time is 30 hours plus, depending on the route and the city destination. My record was 34 hours from jakarta - seoul - St. Paul/minneapolis - washington DC), europe (16 - 18 hours), australia and north east asia (around 8 hours), saudi (10 hours), and even flights to the remotest area in Indonesia (papua) take around 7 hours total.
For me the most unpleasant thing about long haul flight, by far, is always the very dry cabin air.
I don't have problems with flights up to 5 hours, but the long haul flights always made my skin very dry, and I often had trouble breathing if it is too dry. So, if you have trouble breathing in very dry air, you need to bring something like saline nasal gel to hydrate and make the inside of your nose moist.
Remember that the cabin air is totally re-cycled through air conditioner, make it more dry the longer it goes. So apart from moisturiser, you might also want to bring lip balms.
And drink plenty of water, because your body gets dehydrated a lot quicker than normal. Ask the flight attendants to give you a bottled water or two. avoid acidic juice like orange juice or caffeine (which dehydrating). I've heard tomato juice is great for long flights.
wear comfortable clothes.
You might also want to bring your own hand wipes or hand sanitizer because there are plenty of germs in the plane, especially in the loos (which are shared by hundreds other passengers).

Woodrow
12-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Bring several things to do and do not try to concentrate on any one to do for the entire trip. Break up the 10 hour trip into a long day allow at least 5 hours for napping, an hour for eating and that leaves you only 4 hours for actual activities. Remember your prayers even if you have to do them in your seat and go through the motions mentally and not physically. Bring your Qur'an and try to read at least one Surat, bring a book of Ahadith and learn a little about the study of hadith, Bring a language book and spend some time trying to learn a few phrases of a new language. Ten hours is a very short time if you decide on a few tasks to complete in that time. It was not very long ago when an international trip would take days, even weeks to complete. As recent as the 1930s a trip from New York to London would often take a month. In the 1950s it would take a week to travel by train from Connecticut to Texas. Look at 10 hours as not being long enough to accomplish all you would like to do on the trip and it will pass quite fast.

CosmicPathos
12-12-2010, 03:29 PM
follow the advice of Woodrow, no one can put it better than how he did.

Rafeeq
12-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I offer some Dhikar during flight, read some book, watch some thing and sleep. Flights are always long journey (even if it is 3/4 hrs also but that time is difficult to pass). I donot do any thing continuously, but switching between all of them. When I feel boring with one, switch to other as so on. . . .

جوري
12-12-2010, 08:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nbeel
A Zopidem eh? I could Inshallah try that but I need to hope that the flight I'm boarding on sells one of those thing.

you get that as a prescription from your doctor, hence i deliberately left you with the generic name..

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!