/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Need help selecting a laptop and mobile phone.

manaal
12-09-2010, 08:53 AM
:sl:

I want to buy a new laptop and a bit puzzled about the features. I want it to be lightweight and not too big either. Does more hard disk capacity mean that the laptop might be heavier? I can choose between 250, 320 and 500 GB for a small price difference. And is "internal memory" another word for RAM? Do laptops caome in built-mikes or do i have to get that seperately?

As for the phone, the one i have in mind in sony ericsson w890i. The user reviews so far say that it's not so good. I want a walkman phone to listen to e-books. apart from that i only use my phone to text and make calls. camera is not important.

Help please!

For more info, i want to choose between the three 14 inch Acer ones on page 7:
http://www.carrefourksa.com/dec8/index.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
12-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Wa alaykum salam,

Higher number for hard drive space does not make it heavier.

Yes, internal memory does mean RAM.

You mean microphone? I should think most would. If you have a webcam with it, it most likely does have a mic built in too.

Of the three acers, I'd go for the 500GB one. It has 4GB ram too.

Cabdullahi
12-09-2010, 11:41 AM
get lenovo thinkpad! lenovo make very robust laptops

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1600&bih=687

yo dont need more than 250 GB of storage space unless you download ridiculously big files that are in the gigabyte range and for the ram 2GB is enough unless if you multitask you'll need 3-4 GB but its going to cost you more

All in all get a laptop with a good processor! if you want the smooth running of things

Just looked at the carrefour link you gave and the acer is superb 4gb of ram its a got a good processor and the storage space is ample mashaAllah get that one! but make sure you view it properly and see the build quality

its the 2199 acer AS4741

and for the mobile get the nokia E5 the battery lasts for ages

Muhaba
12-09-2010, 01:23 PM
i have a dell. other than that, i don't know anything. that's what happens when your brothers are computer experts.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
أحمد
12-09-2010, 01:53 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by manaal

I want to buy a new laptop and a bit puzzled about the features. I want it to be lightweight and not too big either. Does more hard disk capacity mean that the laptop might be heavier? I can choose between 250, 320 and 500 GB for a small price difference. And is "internal memory" another word for RAM? Do laptops caome in built-mikes or do i have to get that seperately?

As for the phone, the one i have in mind in sony ericsson w890i. The user reviews so far say that it's not so good. I want a walkman phone to listen to e-books. apart from that i only use my phone to text and make calls. camera is not important.

Help please!

For more info, i want to choose between the three 14 inch Acer ones on page 7:
http://www.carrefourksa.com/dec8/index.html
I agree with Bedouin; I think the Acer with 4GB is a very good choice.

Why?
1. Lack of RAM is the most common hardware related reason, for computers "underperforming". 4GB RAM performs well on 64 bit operating systems, and is good for anyone who likes to use memory share for graphics.
2. 500GB is a good enough capacity, to store a reasonable amount of files and not clutter up the computer.

format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
Wa alaykum salam,

Higher number for hard drive space does not make it heavier.

Yes, internal memory does mean RAM.

You mean microphone? I should think most would. If you have a webcam with it, it most likely does have a mic built in too.

Of the three acers, I'd go for the 500GB one. It has 4GB ram too.
:wa:

Beardo
12-09-2010, 02:34 PM
If you live in the US, consider the Dell Outlet... Good deals.

Ramadhan
12-09-2010, 03:43 PM
also pick the laptop with the dedicated graphic memory, otherwise your computer will slow down a bit when you use graphic applications intensively.

manaal
12-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Jazakallahu Khair to all of you for the feedback.

I use my current laptop mainly for MS word and internet browsing. My current one is a Toshiba satellite from about 8 years ago (a dinosaur in other words!). As a brand, is Asus better that Acer?

Brother Abdullahii, I shall check out the Nokia E5 insha Allah. What else can you tell me about it?

Rashad, I don't live in USA but KSA (at the moment), but I'll be moving back to my home country soon, and we don't have good support for Dell over there.

Alpha Dude
12-09-2010, 09:43 PM
As a brand, is Asus better that Acer?
I think Acer is kind of more recognised but I love Asus and would choose that over Acer anyday. Good quality stuff.

Beardo
12-09-2010, 10:27 PM
I think Acer is kind of more recognised but I love Asus and would choose that over Acer anyday. Good quality stuff.
Yeah, but they're pretty much on the same level. I remember when I was looking for a netbook, I was choosing between an Acer and an Asus. Somehow, I bought a dell instead though lol.

Alpha Dude
12-09-2010, 10:33 PM
I bought an Asus at the same time my brother bought his Acer. Mine is still working whilst his malfunctioned within the first year. Just sayin'.

I wouldn't go near a dell with a 10 foot pole.

Beardo
12-09-2010, 10:35 PM
I bought an Asus at the same time my brother bought his Acer. Mine is still working whilst his malfunctioned within the first year. Just sayin'.

I love my Dell Studio XPS 13, thank you very much! <_<

But yeah, it also depends how you maintain your laptop. Though, knowing you, .... Well, nevermind. :nervous:

Dagless
12-09-2010, 10:52 PM

But it's all covered under warranty :p
Different people have different experiences. I had a Dell and it was solid... in fact it still works after all these years.

أحمد
12-09-2010, 11:09 PM

One year is quite a short life-span; maybe he had a faulty unit. I've been using an Acer notebook for "many" years, without any problems, and have updated it a bit over time. Its currently running on its second battery (only one battery exhausted completely), and has 4GB RAM, an old Core 2 Duo CPU, and 500GB HDD.

On the other hand, I've noticed large Acer LCD monitors to have a shorter life-span, and recommend Asus instead. With notebooks, both seem quite good.

I like Dell very much, as long as I'm getting requests to repair notebooks. Dells are the best at getting "messed up", and actually are "a blessing" for technicians. So, if you're really rich, and don't mind paying someone to fix your notebook regularly; buy a Dell! Even though I'm not technically a "technician"; Dells have allowed me plenty of experience in notebook repair.

Ramadhan
12-09-2010, 11:51 PM
You should also consider buying extra year/extended warranty.
My acer's internal fan went out after one year, and needed to be replaced. But then again, i am such as a reckless notebook user, and this was in 2005; I think acer has improved its quality considerably since then.

Beardo
12-09-2010, 11:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
You should also consider buying extra year/extended warranty.
My acer's internal fan went out after one year, and needed to be replaced. But then again, i am such as a reckless notebook user, and this was in 2005; I think acer has improved its quality considerably since then.
Yeah. I mean, if you're looking for a long-term laptop, then warranties are great. i know one of my teachers, he won't buy anything without a warranty. He ends up paying 50%-100% more, but it also lasts 200% longer.

manaal
12-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Salaams to all,

I've decided that I do want the Nokia E5. Seems to be agood phone, only the siplay seems to weak (doesn;t work well under direct sunlight apprently) but that's ok because, I don't text in the sunlight!

Rashad, since you have expereince with netbooks, tell me is any different to a laptop other than being smaller? Since I need a laptop just to use MS Word, a PDF reader, the internet and maybe powerpoint would it be enough? I need my laptop to be light and I'm very attarcted to the size and weight of a netbook. But are the RAM processor speed enough? (Harddiek space doesn't matter because I can always get an external hard drive).

أحمد
12-10-2010, 05:22 PM

Rashad, since you have expereince with netbooks, tell me is any different to a laptop other than being smaller? Since I need a laptop just to use MS Word, a PDF reader, the internet and maybe powerpoint would it be enough? I need my laptop to be light and I'm very attarcted to the size and weight of a netbook. But are the RAM processor speed enough? (Harddiek space doesn't matter because I can always get an external hard drive).
Netbook operating systems are especially designed for low capacity, balanced with the capability to cope with upto date advancements in computer technology.

Specially designed netbooks software may also be available in some cases, this includes applications and security. The two main differences are, in the software space consumption and reduced extra unnecessary services.

Working on SSD storage enables them to be more compact, reducing the need for extra cooling room; as there are no moving parts in SSDs. Smaller CPUs and RAM also allow for lower battery consumption, thus improving battery life.

Netbooks are hard and soft upgradeable, just like PCs and notebooks. The upgradeability depends on the grade of hardware, used to manufacture the netbook. This information can normally be found in the user guide, and in other technical documentation, which is (usually) provided with the product.

As for "if it'll be enough", to meet your above requirements. Yes, its more than good enough.

Rashad can tell you the rest :inshallah

Cabdullahi
12-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Jazakallahu Khair to all of you for the feedback.

I use my current laptop mainly for MS word and internet browsing. My current one is a Toshiba satellite from about 8 years ago (a dinosaur in other words!). As a brand, is Asus better that Acer?

Brother Abdullahii, I shall check out the Nokia E5 insha Allah. What else can you tell me about it?

Rashad, I don't live in USA but KSA (at the moment), but I'll be moving back to my home country soon, and we don't have good support for Dell over there.
the E5 lasts for long and is probably the best phone for messaging because its got a superb qwerty....i will be given one as a gift and im anticipating its arrival.......music playback can last up to 38 hours....its got an average camera which is 5 megapixels....good for occasional captures

get it! get it! get it! NOW!

its very cheap too

and one more thing DONT BOTHER WITH A NETBOOK!...I HAVE ONE AND ITS STRAIGHT UP WACK! STAY AWAY FROM IT BUY THE ACER WHICH HAS 4 GB ITS SMALL AND CHEAP

Insecured soul
12-10-2010, 10:21 PM
buy new macbook air and iphone 4, there is nothing like it
it will cost u 2000$ approx

Insaanah
12-10-2010, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by أحمد
4GB RAM performs well on 64 bit operating systems, and is good for anyone who likes to use memory share for graphics.

I have a 64-bit system, and find that some of the software you download from the net is not compatible, neither is some software provided on CDs. Quite a few of my old programmes that used to work on my old 32-bit system aren't compatible. I regret my choice, and wish I'd gone for less RAM, but with a 32-bit system. The move towards programmes compatible with 64-bit systems isn't as fast as I'd thought it would be.

أحمد
12-10-2010, 10:41 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

I have a 64-bit system, and find that some of the software you download from the net is not compatible, neither is some software provided on CDs. Quite a few of my old programmes that used to work on my old 32-bit system aren't compatible. I regret my choice, and wish I'd gone for less RAM, but with a 32-bit system. The move towards programmes compatible with 64-bit systems isn't as fast as I'd thought it would be.

32 bit operating systems are compatible with 64 bit hardware, and with more RAM. Of course, a 32 bit system will ignore extra RAM, if there's more than 3GB; 3GB is maximum for 32 bit. This "restriction" can be "bypassed" quite easily, if necessary.

As for installing 32 bit software on a 64 bit operating system; in most cases you can, and it'll work properly. There are some cases, where it won't.

The new 64 bit software architecture is i386_x64 based, which enables compatibility with both; the 64 and 32 bit systems.

Insaanah
12-10-2010, 10:48 PM

This "restriction" can be "bypassed" quite easily, if necessary.
Are you saying here that you can make a 32-bit system have more than 3GB RAM? If so, how is this done?

As for installing 32 bit software on a 64 bit operating system; in most cases you can, and it'll work properly. There are some cases, where it won't.
Yes I'm getting quite a few of those.

The new 64 bit software architecture is i386_x64 based, which enables compatibility with both; the 64 and 32 bit systems.
Oh I see. How new? I got mine January 09.

Jazaakallah khayr and sorry if this is derailing your thread, sis Manaal.

أحمد
12-10-2010, 11:07 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

Are you saying here that you can make a 32-bit system have more than 3GB RAM? If so, how is this done?
Yes I'm getting quite a few of those.
Oh I see. How new? I got mine January 09.
Jazaakallah khayr and sorry if this is derailing your thread, sis Manaal.

Yes, by using memory management software; Acer provides this under "Empowering Technology Framework". It varies with each manufacturer. Thats the "easiest" method.

A standard 2009 computer should easily support the new 64 bit architecture.

manaal
12-11-2010, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insecured soul
buy new macbook air and iphone 4, there is nothing like it
it will cost u 2000$ approx

Not really into Apple. I think I've finally made up my mind on the laptop. Will let y'all know once Ive bought them insha Allah.

Beardo
12-11-2010, 02:57 PM

Not really into Apple. I think I've finally made up my mind on the laptop. Will let y'all know once Ive bought them insha Allah.
If it weren't so expensive, I'd have a 27" iMac by now. =___= Apple is Awesome, btw.

OoOoOh! Please let us know! I'm anxious to hear about what you bought and the experience of it!

Ramadhan
12-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Rashad, since you have expereince with netbooks, tell me is any different to a laptop other than being smaller?
Don't bother with netbooks if you buy it to replace your current laptop.
netbooks are good if you already have a main laptop or desktop.
Buy a full feature laptop with smaller screen instead (like a 12")

أحمد
12-11-2010, 07:18 PM

I forgot to mention one important thing; netbook lifespan is about 20% shorter than notebooks.

manaal
12-12-2010, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
OoOoOh! Please let us know! I'm anxious to hear about what you bought and the experience of it!

Seriously? ^o)

manaal
12-14-2010, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
the E5 lasts for long and is probably the best phone for messaging because its got a superb qwerty....i will be given one as a gift and im anticipating its arrival.......music playback can last up to 38 hours....its got an average camera which is 5 megapixels....good for occasional captures get it! get it! get it! NOW!

I got! Got it! Got it! Last Night!

Got the Copper brown. Still getting used to it. I need to downlaod the user manual in English, as the one I got in the box is all in Arabic!

Cabdullahi
12-15-2010, 01:21 PM

i got! Got it! Got it! Last night!

Got the copper brown. Still getting used to it. I need to downlaod the user manual in english, as the one i got in the box is all in arabic!
good!!! Good!!...........its a sick fone!

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-15-2010, 01:30 PM
I have a Question

Would anyone recommend the Sony ericsson W995 and the Sony Ericsson W715?

just curious insha`Allaah.

manaal
03-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Assalamu Aleikum all,

So finally got myself a laptop 2 months ago. It a 14" Asus (X42J series) with Intel COre i5 2.53 GHz, 512 MB Graphics, 500 GB Hard Disk and 4 GB RAM..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!