/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Easy recipes for People who normally don't cook

Woodrow
12-10-2010, 01:39 PM
I am starting this thread to keep from derailing the 'What Did you have for Supper" thread.

Baked Onion Rings for 2

Ingredients

1 large onion such as a Bermuda, Texas 1016, or a large Vidalia

1 bowl ice water

2 egg white beat until frothy, but not stiff

Peel and cut about 1/4 inch off the top and bottom then slice in half (going across not up and down, you want to make rings)

Preheat the oven to 350 F
Prepare a cookie sheet by lightly coating with vegetable oil

Drop the two thick slices into the bowl of ice water, throw the top and bottom into the beaten egg white. After about 30 minutes the slices in the ice water will separate into rings. Pat he rings dry with a paper towel and drop them into the beaten egg whites. Let them set int there and stir gently every now and then, you want the rings and top and bottoms well covered with the egg white.

Prepare the batter:

Ingredients

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder (Baking powder, not baking soda)
Garlic powder to taste, at least a teaspoon full
Black pepper

Mix all of the dry ingredients together. set aside

beat together one cup milk and one egg. These need to be well mixed

Now you have to work fast

add the milk and egg mixture to the dry mixture stirring constantly. You want it to be about the consistency of heavy cream or white glue. Slowly add additional milk if needed to get it to that consistency

Start dropping the onion rings and tops and bottoms into the batter, just long enough to coat well. Take out and put on the cookie sheet leave a little space between the rings.

Put in oven for 15 minutes, raise temp to 400F let cook 5 more minutes or until light brown.

When brown serve while hot, salt to taste. But go lightly with the salt as they will already be salty from the baking powder.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Baked Salmon

Preheat oven to 375F

Ingredients

1/2 Salmon (Cut length ways from head to tail, not across the Middle)
dill (Dry dill works fine)
lemon juice
onion slices
salt
milk
black pepper
Butter

Soak the salmon in milk for about an hour

Prepare a cookie sheet by oiling lightly and covering with either onion slices or chopped onions

Sprinkle some lemon juice, Black pepper and dill over the onions

Place the salmon skin side down on top of the onions. Sprinkle more lemon juice over the salmon, salt, pepper and sprinkle with dill. Cover the fish with a layer of sliced onion. Put a couple pats of butter on top of the onion. cover lightly with aluminum foil.

Check in about 20 minutes. the fish should be just turning opaque white and starting to flake when done.

DO NOT OVER COOK--You want baked salmon not dehydrated Salmon.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
12-10-2010, 02:14 PM
This doesn't sound easy to me! Easy would be: empty packet into plate -> microwave -> eat. :><:

Woodrow
12-10-2010, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
This doesn't sound easy to me! Easy would be: empty packet into plate -> microwave -> eat. :><:
For my Nephew above, My world famous popcorn recipe.

Go to corner convenience store.

Buy package of microwave popcorn

Put package in microwave, push popcorn button

When microwave dings or beeps take out, open package and eat.

Just one rule of caution, do not open the package before putting it in the microwave, that makes the store owner very angry.

Alpha Dude
12-10-2010, 02:41 PM
That's more like it. :p

Do you have any good omelette recipes? I've added all sorts of weird ingredients into mine over the last few months, including apple, honey, salad, rice and tuna. I'm looking for the perfect one.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
12-10-2010, 02:54 PM
including apple,
Ew.

----------

Question: Can you make the baked salmon on stovetop? Personally, I prefer stovetop because I'm always scared my hand might slip onto the oven walls and burn myself. x_x Plus, stovetop is more fun. I feel more accomplished too. I'd like a salmon recipe. :D

Islam castle
12-10-2010, 03:45 PM
M felin hngry ;(

Woodrow
12-10-2010, 03:49 PM

Do you have any good omelette recipes? I've added all sorts of weird ingredients into mine over the last few months, including apple, honey, salad, rice and tuna. I'm looking for the perfect one.
Good part is the microwave is excellent for making omeletes.

You need 2 microwave safe bowls in one put in 1/2 cup milk, microwave on high until the milk boild let boil for about 15 seconds, take out and let cool. Don't worry about the skin that forms on top.

In the other bowl put in about 1/4 cup each chopped onion, chopped peppers I use serranos, but if you don't like spicy use bell pepper. about 1/2 cup ground meat and a few good size pats of butter. Microwave until the meat is done.

In the cool milk mix in 3 eggs. Do not mix very well just stir a few times with a fork make certain the yolks are broken. Dump in the stuff from the other bowl. Stir well.
Put in microwave at high for 1 minute. Stir, part of it will already be cooked just stir it all together. sprinkle with shredded cheese such as chedder about 1/4 cup. Put back in microwave on high for 3 minutes. It should puff up. Take out and serve while hot.

Woodrow
12-10-2010, 03:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Ew.

----------

Question: Can you make the baked salmon on stovetop? Personally, I prefer stovetop because I'm always scared my hand might slip onto the oven walls and burn myself. x_x Plus, stovetop is more fun. I feel more accomplished too. I'd like a salmon recipe. :D
You can, but it will be poached Salmon, will still taste the same. Use a large frying pan that has a lid. Melt about 1/4 cup butter in it. Sprinkle dill over the butter put the salmon skin side down in the pan sprinkle with dill,, lemon juice, salt and pepper cover with sliced onions. pour about 1/4 cup water in the pan, cover with the lid, cook at low heat about 20 minutes. Will be done when the onions are almost transparent

Beardo
12-10-2010, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Good part is the microwave is excellent for making omeletes.
Wow. That's a first... I hope you've tried this?

Woodrow
12-10-2010, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Wow. That's a first... I hope you've tried this?
I make it quite often but usually don't have any halal meat to put in it so then I just leave the meat out and add more cheese.

Woodrow
12-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Stove Top Tuna Melt

Need 2 sauce pans

In one pan put in about 1 cup milk, put on stove turn on heat and start adding any grated cheese, especially a good melting type like cheddar, colby, Mozzarella

Add the cheese slowly as it melts and stir constantly until you have a thick sauce.

Or skip that step and heat up a jar of Cheez-whiz in the microwave

in the other pan put in 2 cans drained tuna, a little olive oil and a chopped onion, cook until the tuna starts to brown. Scoop about a tablespoon of the Tuna onto a slice of toast cover well with the cheese sauce and eat as an open face sandwich

This will make about 6 open face sandwiches with some cheese sauce left over

Beardo
12-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Stove Top Tuna Melt

Need 2 sauce pans

In one pan put in about 1 cup milk, put on stove turn on heat and start adding any grated cheese, especially a good melting type like cheddar, colby, Mozzarella

Add the cheese slowly as it melts and stir constantly until you have a thick sauce.

Or skip that step and heat up a jar of Cheez-whiz in the microwave

in the other pan put in 2 cans drained tuna, a little olive oil and a chopped onion, cook until the tuna starts to brown. Scoop about a tablespoon of the Tuna onto a slice of toast cover well with the cheese sauce and eat as an open face sandwich

This will make about 6 open face sandwiches with some cheese sauce left over
Sounds delicious, but fattening. :(

I started craving a cheese omelette so my mom just made me one. :D

Hayaa
12-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I am starting this thread to keep from derailing the 'What Did you have for Supper" thread.

Baked Onion Rings for 2

Ingredients

1 large onion such as a Bermuda, Texas 1016, or a large Vidalia

1 bowl ice water

2 egg white beat until frothy, but not stiff

Peel and cut about 1/4 inch off the top and bottom then slice in half (going across not up and down, you want to make rings)

Preheat the oven to 350 F
Prepare a cookie sheet by lightly coating with vegetable oil

Drop the two thick slices into the bowl of ice water, throw the top and bottom into the beaten egg white. After about 30 minutes the slices in the ice water will separate into rings. Pat he rings dry with a paper towel and drop them into the beaten egg whites. Let them set int there and stir gently every now and then, you want the rings and top and bottoms well covered with the egg white.

Prepare the batter:

Ingredients

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder (Baking powder, not baking soda)
Garlic powder to taste, at least a teaspoon full
Black pepper

Mix all of the dry ingredients together. set aside

beat together one cup milk and one egg. These need to be well mixed

Now you have to work fast

add the milk and egg mixture to the dry mixture stirring constantly. You want it to be about the consistency of heavy cream or white glue. Slowly add additional milk if needed to get it to that consistency

Start dropping the onion rings and tops and bottoms into the batter, just long enough to coat well. Take out and put on the cookie sheet leave a little space between the rings.

Put in oven for 15 minutes, raise temp to 400F let cook 5 more minutes or until light brown.

When brown serve while hot, salt to taste. But go lightly with the salt as they will already be salty from the baking powder.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

:sl: this sounds fantastic -- jazak Allaahu khayran for remembering!! :) :)

Nuha38318
12-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Zereshk Polo:

Ingredients: (4 Servings)

500 grams basmati or long-grain rice
800 grams chicken
2 spoons butter
four spoons barberries (dried)
one spoon sugar
two large onions
1/2 teaspoon saffron
cooking oil
salt & black pepper

Remove the skin from chicken pieces. Marinate chicken in grated onions, salt and pepper for 4-5 hours.

Cook rice.

Wash barberries twice with cold water and drain the water. Add sugar and fry in butter over medium heat for about five minutes.

Pour saffron in a small bowl. Pour in 2-3 spoons of hot water and mix. Fill the bowl with rice and mix well. Add saffron-rice and barberries to the rest of the rice and mix well.

Cook chicken under grill for 15-20 minutes turning each piece a few times during cooking. Serve with barberry-rice.

GuestFellow
12-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Salaam,

I like mashed potato's with cheese...

Does anyone know how to make chicken pie? They stopped making them in my area. :(

Woodrow
12-10-2010, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Salaam,

Does anyone know how to make chicken pie? They stopped making them in my area. :(
I make that every time we find halal chicken,

My easy method.

Ingredients

1- 9" frozen deep dish pie shell

For filling

About 1 pound cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into small pieces
1-- 16 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables

About 2 cups chicken gravy, home made or bought in a jar

To make homemade chicken gravy heat one can chicken broth minus 1/4 cup (Save you will use it later) in a sauce pan. season to taste with sage, black pepper and celery seeds. slowly bring to a boil. While that is coming to a boil mix one heaping teaspoon of corn starch in with the saved 1/4 cup broth. Mix until it looks like thick cream slowly pour into the boiling broth stiring constantly. Turn off heat set aside off stove.

put the cut up chicken in the pie shell cover with the frozen vegetables pour in enough of the gravy to almost fill the pie shell.

For the topping

2- cups cold mashed potatoes and one medium grated onion mixed together with salt pepper and garlic powder to taste,, spread evenly over the pie top it should be a thick layer and look like meringue

Put it in a 375F preheated oven (on a cookie sheet, unless you like to clean ovens)

Let cook about 45 minutes, until the potatoes start to brown. Let cool about 15 minutes and serve.

Ansariyah
12-10-2010, 10:50 PM

This is how I make my omellete:

Green pepper, Red pepper, yellow pepper, all cut, Red Onion. Tomato, Cheese. mushrooms, olives.

Thats wat goes into mine.

Woodrow
12-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Salaam,
cvcvcvcvcvcvcv

:(
You should like this:

Pirogues sometimes spelled pirogis (A Polish word hard to spell with English letters)

Pre made uncooked pie dough

Cut the pie dough into circles about 3 inches in diameter. You will need 2 circles for each Pirogue Use a very large glass or cup like a cookie cutter to cut out the circles.

For the filling mix 3 cups of cold mashed potatoes, 1 grated onion, salt, pepper and one to 1 1/2 cup grated cheese.

place a heaping spoonful of the potato mixture in the center of one of the circles, cover with a second circle. Press down the edges to seal the potato mixture inside. It is very important it is sealed tightly all around.

Boil a large pot of salted water. When the water comes to a fast boil using a slotted spoon place the pirogues in the boiling water(do not try to boil more than 4 at a time.) After a minute or 2 they should float to the top. But even if they don't do not let them boil for over 3 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon take them out of the water and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.

Heat a deep fryer filled with vegetable oil to about 450F Using a slotted spoon place them gently in the oil. Cook until light golden brown and take out immediately with a slotted spoon. Drain for a minute or so on paper towels and serve.

Tyrion
12-11-2010, 01:10 AM
The only thing I can make consistently is scrambled eggs with french fries... Sooo good... Sometimes I'll also throw in some tomatoes and bell peppers if we have some laying around. :p

Does anyone have any creative ideas for how to make a good sandwich? Sometimes I like to take lunch with me when I go to out for the day, but I never know what to bring... Usually I just end up taking a boring peanut butter sandwich. :(

MartyrX
12-11-2010, 02:30 AM
Goulash

I can't make it as good as my Grandmother, but it's good.

1 lbs of hamburger (beef)
1 can of diced tomatoes with garlic seasoning
I use elbow macaroni and I never measure.
1 can of spaghetti sauce

Brown the hamburger while boiling the macaroni. Once the hamburger is brown, drain the grease. Add in whatever seasoning you want. I like to add in red peppers, onions, and chili powder. Once the macaroni is done you mix the two with half a can of spaghetti sauce. I let it simmer for about an hour and it's good to go.

GuestFellow
12-11-2010, 12:49 PM
^ Salaam,

Isn't hamburger haraam? X_X

Woodrow
12-11-2010, 03:07 PM
^ Salaam,

Isn't hamburger haraam? X_X
Not if the cow it came from was halal. Hamburger is ground beef. Named after Hamburg Germany. Other names for it are keema, ground beef, chile beef etc. But to be technical it should be called Ground beef as it is the fried ground beef patty that is the original hamburger. That was popular in Hamburg Germany hence it got called Hamburger Meat, (the meat use to make a Hamburger) Before then the ground beef was eaten raw and called Beef Tatar.

~Raindrop~
12-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Before then the ground beef was eaten raw and called Beef Tatar.
+o( people eat raw meat?

Woodrow
12-11-2010, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha

+o( people eat raw meat?
It only became a requirement to cook meat in the monotheistic Abrahamic Religion (Muslims, Christians Jews and Sabeeans)

Raw meat is still popular in much of the world.

Ramadhan
12-11-2010, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
people eat raw meat?
yes, and still served in restaurants.

It only became a requirement to cook meat in the monotheistic Abrahamic Religion (Muslims, Christians Jews and Sabeeans)
This makes me concerned. I have had beef tatar, is it haram?
What about sashimi? I love sashimis.
I'm not sure i've heard the ruling that uncooked meat/fish is haram to eat.

Woodrow
12-11-2010, 04:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
yes, and still served in restaurants.

This makes me concerned. I have had beef tatar, is it haram?
What about sashimi? I love sashimis.
I'm not sure i've heard the ruling that uncooked meat/fish is haram to eat.
This will require the input of one more knowledgeable. I have heard that properly prepared Beef Tatar is halal as it does not contain any blood. All of the blood is removed in the preparation. The meat is ground several times until it is super fine and the released blood is drained between grindings and the meat is rinsed in water or sometimes vinegar between grindings. But, I can not remember what scholar I got that from.

Same for sushi and Sashimi. I am a bit more certain that any form of raw fish would be halal as fish does not have red blood like mammals have. Plus, up until recent times there was no way to cook on-board a boat and fisherman have always eaten raw fish when out at sea for weeks at a time. This would have been true at the time of the Prophet(PBUH) and I have never seen any ayyats or hadith that forbid eating raw sea food.

But to be certain I suggest one to consult with an authenticate scholar before assuming either is Halal.

elina
12-14-2010, 12:09 PM
some tasty sounding meals here....I feel hungry reading this thread

heres a couple of easy and quick ones

Biber Asi

1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, in chunks (don't discard the seeds)
2 medium tomatos, diced
3 medium white potatos, in chunks
3 tbsp rice, washed and drained
50 ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
Pepper for taste

Sautee the onions with the butter and olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add the green peppers with the seeds along with the tomatoes, potatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add the water and rice. Cover the lid halfway and cook for about 20-25 minutes on medium heat.

Kiymali Nohut

1 can of chickpeas
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp regular or medium ground beef
2 tbsp crushed tomato
1 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
Pepper for taste

Cook the onion and ground beef in a pot. Then add the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking on medium heat with the lid half-covered for another 10-15 minutes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!