/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Phobias!

Ansariyah
12-10-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm really terrified of Lizards, I can't look at them. Don't want to be near them, or hear about them. It doesn't matter wat size they come in, or how harmless they are, still terrified of them thingies.

I've always been this way my whole life. First time I discovered I had this phobia was one I was about 6. My mother bought me a pair of shoes from a store called salamander. They had this lizard symbol printed on the cover of one of their doors and I just didn't want to be there. Since then to this day nothing changed I'm still terrified of these reptiles.

Wats ur phobia? How bad is it? Do u think u can ever overcome it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
12-11-2010, 02:02 AM
Salaam,

I'm not sure. I have one phobia, it is a secret. I get scared when I'm fronted with this secret. I'm usually very calm in stressful situations but this is something that I cannot control and I avoid it. If I cannot avoid the subject, I start to shake, feel hot and very sweaty. I also feel very sick and dizzy. It is like being trapped and suicide is the only way out. I can be very unpredictable and will do anything to avoid the subject. I used to go to great lengths to get this secret covered up, it is almost irrational because it creates a whole set of different problems. I am afraid if someone found it, because I mentioned earlier, I will do whatever it takes to cover it up. My deepest worry is how long I can keep it bottled up, because sometimes I don't trust myself to keep it secret and I worry what I might do to the person if they did find out.

I cannot overcome this phobia, it something you cannot control, what might happen before and after it.

This secret I would like to keep between me and Allah, which gives me great comfort.

Cabdullahi
12-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Got no phobias...people who do need to grow up!...come on! you aint scared of no lizard

S.Belle
12-11-2010, 02:15 AM
my phobias are really silly almost embarassing but.
I'm really afraid of feet :hiding:. My own feet dont bother me but other people's feet if they touch mine or me in general I cant stand it id rather a creepy crawly (that's not a spider bc thats my 2nd phobia) crawl on me than another person's foot to touch me. My lil bro shows no mercy either bc daily he tortures me by putting his feet in my face/lap...but I think it mainly comes from my dislike of other people's germs bc when i think of feet i think of sweat and bodily secretions and how its on me +o(. So I have a fear of other people giving me their germs and ever since I can remember myself I dont drink or eat after people for fear that I will get sick.

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
I'm really terrified of Lizards, I can't look at them. Don't want to be near them, or hear about them. It doesn't matter wat size they come in, or how harmless they are, still terrified of them thingies. I've always been this way my whole life. First time I discovered I had this phobia was one I was about 6. My mother bought me a pair of shoes from a store called salamander. They had this lizard symbol printed on the cover of one of their doors and I just didn't want to be there. Since then to this day nothing changed I'm still terrified of these reptiles.
lizards are really cute I had 2 huge iguanas when i was younger they are very nice and friendly....but then again im afraid of feet so who am i to talk.....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansariyah
12-11-2010, 03:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Salaam,

I'm not sure. I have one phobia, it is a secret. I get scared when I'm fronted with this secret. I'm usually very calm in stressful situations but this is something that I cannot control and I avoid it. If I cannot avoid the subject, I start to shake, feel hot and very sweaty. I also feel very sick and dizzy. It is like being trapped and suicide is the only way out. I can be very unpredictable and will do anything to avoid the subject. I used to go to great lengths to get this secret covered up, it is almost irrational because it creates a whole set of different problems. I am afraid if someone found it, because I mentioned earlier, I will do whatever it takes to cover it up. My deepest worry is how long I can keep it bottled up, because sometimes I don't trust myself to keep it secret and I worry what I might do to the person if they did find out.

I cannot overcome this phobia, it something you cannot control, what might happen before and after it.

This secret I would like to keep between me and Allah, which gives me great comfort.
& I thought I had phobia. I think urs is a bit severe than mine. I dont know if its good for ur health to keep such a secret. I'm not trying to pressure u to tell me, u shouldnt. u should tell it to someone u really trust, it might give u a relief? Allah knows best.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
Got no phobias...people who do need to grow up!...come on! you aint scared of no lizard
Abdalla

Then explain to me why I cant look at it? I cant n when I do it really makes me wish I never seen it. I'm serious! But I do all I can to avoid seeing them so its not really a problem until someone thinks its funny to save me a pic of it as my background on my laptop. Which called for the topic at hand.

format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
my phobias are really silly almost embarassing but.
I'm really afraid of feet :hiding:. My own feet dont bother me but other people's feet if they touch mine or me in general I cant stand it id rather a creepy crawly (that's not a spider bc thats my 2nd phobia) crawl on me than another person's foot to touch me. My lil bro shows no mercy either bc daily he tortures me by putting his feet in my face/lap...but I think it mainly comes from my dislike of other people's germs bc when i think of feet i think of sweat and bodily secretions and how its on me +o(. So I have a fear of other people giving me their germs and ever since I can remember myself I dont drink or eat after people for fear that I will get sick.

lizards are really cute I had 2 huge iguanas when i was younger they are very nice....but then again im afraid of feet so who am i to talk.....
lol very interesting responses, it makes feel very normal :P: *sigh*

Hayaa
12-11-2010, 03:57 AM
:sl:

Frogs, slugs, snails, lizards, rollie pollis etc. :skeleton: I don't know if I'll ever get over it.

excluding spiders & ants.. I don't particularly like them but they don't scare me

Sawdah
12-11-2010, 05:06 AM
Well, I have a phobia of dolls. It's serious, but not to an extreme, alhamdulillah. I'll leave it at that, because it's a long story. :hmm:

Tyrion
12-11-2010, 05:38 AM
Well, you see... I fear nothing, because I'm a man. A manly man.

However... I'm not too fond of spiders. >__>

Or anything related to them for that matter. By the way, have any of you guys ever seen a picture of a Coconut Crab?

Those things will haunt your dreams... -__-

Endymion
12-11-2010, 05:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
I'm really terrified of Lizards, I can't look at them. Don't want to be near them, or hear about them. It doesn't matter wat size they come in, or how harmless they are, still terrified of them thingies.

I've always been this way my whole life. Since then to this day nothing changed I'm still terrified of these reptiles.

Wats ur phobia? How bad is it? Do u think u can ever overcome it?
Im not afraid of small lizards.Once i killed two baby lizards who were about to enter in my Parents bed room and the time i took to kill them was just 5 minutes :D But i never dare to kill big mummy lizards +o( But rats made me run away.Also,im afraid of dark and snakes and Winter nights made me scared when i was a kid :p

First time I discovered I had this phobia was one I was about 6. My mother bought me a pair of shoes from a store called salamander. They had this lizard symbol printed on the cover of one of their doors and I just didn't want to be there.
Come on,my brother once found a lizard in his shoes.He was wearing his shoes in a hurry when he suddenly threw the shoe away and said,"OMG,there is something inside my shoe",and we saw a little lizard came out :uhwhat and after a minute,he picked the same shoe,wore it and ran away :statisfie
Lizards are not harmful when they are distant from you,neither when they are close but if you press them,they will bite you :( So just be careful not to press them aand there is nothing to worry about,lizards are not stronger than you :statisfie

[QUOTE=Mila;1391756]my phobias are really silly almost embarassing but.

I wonder if all brothers are like that :Evil: Teasing their sisters ;D
I dont like if someone drink water in my glass so i put my glass in the fridge :p Also i hate it when women leave their lipstick prints on the glass :eek:

Yanal
12-11-2010, 08:29 AM
I have one:Achrophobia.

Amoeba
12-11-2010, 08:40 AM
I think some poeple here have phobias confused with a rational fear. A rational fear is when you have a reason to be afraid. A phobia, however, is often far more terrifying than any rational fear and completely unexplainable. The person experiencing the phobia often knows fine well there is no reason to be afraid, but it's completely out of their control and can sometimes affect their day-to-day life if the encounter the trigger of their phobia often enough (desensitization doesn't always help). A person who has never experienced a phobia before may often think it's just a silly overreaction because they themselves have never experienced it before, rather they might only have experienced a normal, rational fear.

You can't just reason with someone experiencing a phobia and expect them to not be afraid any more. It goes far deeper than reason. It's something that, if it doesn't go away by itself (may take many years), could require therapy to get over. It's a bit like psychological trauma in that regard, and can sometimes be caused by a traumatic event involving the phobia trigger even if the phobia trigger wasn't a source of the trauma, even just the association with the trauma can cause a phobia to develop.

Endymion
12-11-2010, 12:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
I think some poeple here have phobias confused with a rational fear. A rational fear is when you have a reason to be afraid. A phobia, however, is often far more terrifying than any rational fear and completely unexplainable. The person experiencing the phobia often knows fine well there is no reason to be afraid, but it's completely out of their control and can sometimes affect their day-to-day life if the encounter the trigger of their phobia often enough (desensitization doesn't always help). A person who has never experienced a phobia before may often think it's just a silly overreaction because they themselves have never experienced it before, rather they might only have experienced a normal, rational fear.

You can't just reason with someone experiencing a phobia and expect them to not be afraid any more. It goes far deeper than reason. It's something that, if it doesn't go away by itself (may take many years), could require therapy to get over. It's a bit like psychological trauma in that regard, and can sometimes be caused by a traumatic event involving the phobia trigger even if the phobia trigger wasn't a source of the trauma, even just the association with the trauma can cause a phobia to develop.
Wow :muddlehea
So,i have no "Phobia" its actually just a "Rational fear" :D
Thats informative :) Thanks for sharing :thankyou:

IAmZamzam
12-11-2010, 06:34 PM
My only real phobia is of unconsciousness. Or at least sleep. Probably all unconsciousness. Most people fear death but it's the frickin' chicken pox to me: everyone gets it once and once only, and then you're immune from that point on. Not a big deal. Sleeping is like dying almost every day of your life. You're whisked away into a constant alternation between oblivion and madness, until finally you can wake up and resume control over anything at all. And to think that it can drain away so much time...the average person forced to spend up to a third of their life doing nothing at all! Which for all practical purposes lowers life expectancy from seventy-five to fifty years. Think about all that when you go to bed tonight. Sleep tight.

أحمد
12-11-2010, 07:05 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Most people fear death
Fear of death does seem quite irrational, at least to some of us.

Although that doesn't fall in my phobias list; there're quite a few things that do. One of those phobias is, the phobia of informing others of the phobias. I like to keep such information to myself.

:wa:

S.Belle
12-11-2010, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
I think some poeple here have phobias confused with a rational fear. A rational fear is when you have a reason to be afraid. A phobia, however, is often far more terrifying than any rational fear and completely unexplainable. The person experiencing the phobia often knows fine well there is no reason to be afraid, but it's completely out of their control and can sometimes affect their day-to-day life if the encounter the trigger of their phobia often enough (desensitization doesn't always help). A person who has never experienced a phobia before may often think it's just a silly overreaction because they themselves have never experienced it before, rather they might only have experienced a normal, rational fear. You can't just reason with someone experiencing a phobia and expect them to not be afraid any more. It goes far deeper than reason. It's something that, if it doesn't go away by itself (may take many years), could require therapy to get over. It's a bit like psychological trauma in that regard, and can sometimes be caused by a traumatic event involving the phobia trigger even if the phobia trigger wasn't a source of the trauma, even just the association with the trauma can cause a phobia to develop.

so my spider fear would be considered a phobia right? i wasnt even afraid of them until i got bitten by one and the whole germs thing I know that germs are everywhere its just other ppl's germs that get to me thats not a rational fear is it bc I have always been this way

Amoeba
12-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Sometimes a phobia can have a rational beginning, not all phobias start as something irrational but a regular fear can develop into a phobia as the amount of fear experienced becomes irrational for the amount of danger in the situation.

It's like... someone who's terrified of balloons. They might have had one pop too close to them as a baby or toddler and have been terrified ever since, but it could never have harmed them.

But on the other hand, someone who's for example had a close call with a dangerous animal such as a snake would have good reason to be afraid, might later become too afraid of them and freak out even in situations that the animal can't harm them (maybe it's behind glass or on a computer screen).

nature
12-13-2010, 09:27 AM

I think everyone is scared of one thing at least ? people often have fears of the unknown.

format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
my phobias are really silly almost embarassing but. I'm really afraid of feet . My own feet dont bother me but other people's feet if they touch mine or me in general I cant stand it id rather a creepy crawly (that's not a spider bc thats my 2nd phobia) crawl on me than another person's foot to touch me. My lil bro shows no mercy either bc daily he tortures me by putting his feet in my face/lap...but I think it mainly comes from my dislike of other people's germs bc when i think of feet i think of sweat and bodily secretions and how its on me . So I have a fear of other people giving me their germs and ever since I can remember myself I dont drink or eat after people for fear that I will get sick.
Im sorry, i found this a little funny. although i totally understand the germ thing, Im a bit like that, clean freak !

format_quote Originally Posted by SeekerofJannah
Well, I have a phobia of dolls.
Is this something from childhood ? I remember watching a horror movie of some sort, where a doll came to life or something ? LOL, i got ova that, it took a few years though.!

nature
12-13-2010, 09:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
However... I'm not too fond of spiders. >__>

Surely that can be real ?:hmm:

elina
12-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I have a fear of speaking in front of a group of people...at work we sometimes have team building meetings and if i have to speak i am nervous for days before and i feel like im going to faint while im talking...though i never do....its silly really

nature
12-13-2010, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by elina
I have a fear of speaking in front of a group of people...at work we sometimes have team building meetings and if i have to speak i am nervous for days before and i feel like im going to faint while im talking...though i never do....its silly really

Im a bit like this, its a confidence thing though isnt it ? I got better wen i got into the workplace, im sure you will too.

elina
12-13-2010, 01:04 PM
hi nature.....yeah its all down to confidence....its good you got better...hopefully i will too :)

Sigma
12-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Scared of needles/injections.

I'd rather be put in the ring with Mike Tyson than have an injection.

Woodrow
12-13-2010, 02:25 PM
There are rational fears, which are based upon knowledge and experience. Phobias are a bit different and the person themselves are not aware of any reason for the fear. But, there is usually a past experience that is at the root of it. One of the best examples in classical studies of phobias is that of a man who suddenly became afraid of Bridges. After a long time it was finaly discovered he hated his job, yet could not quit work. To get to work he had to cross over a bridge. Finally his hatred of his job was transferred to a fear of bridges. This in turn gave him a justification not to go to his job.

While we all have phobias we are not always aware of them as we have not yet had an encounter with them. The first step in overcoming a phobia is in knowing we have it. To overcome it takes an understanding of what it is we fear. Knowledge overcomes fears.

SafaAuditore
12-13-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm scared of lizards too...and bugs...and snakes...anything that can crawl -- except babies.
I have Barophobia...which is fear of gravity..just kidding XD
I wish i had Melophobia, though. which is fear of music lol

Seriously though, i have a severe case of FMCD. (Fear of Miley Cyrus Disorder) Mileyphobia. ='(

IAmZamzam
12-23-2010, 03:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nature
Is this something from childhood ? I remember watching a horror movie of some sort, where a doll came to life or something ? LOL, i got ova that, it took a few years though.!
There have been many such films, but I'm guessing the one you're thinking of is Poltergeist.

muslimah_91
12-27-2010, 12:55 AM
cats are scary......

~Raindrop~
12-27-2010, 12:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah_91
cats are scary......
They are? :ermm:

I love kittens =D

Hamza Asadullah
12-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum, i would say i have a rational fear of spiders and moths. The fear of spiders started when i got bitten by one when i was young but i only cringe when i see big spiders not the small ones and with regards to moths, when i was young a fat moth was flying around my room and i crushed it with a slipper and some brown gooey stuff came out of its body. That really freaked me out and ever since then i cringe when i see one in my room.

Apart from that i am confident with most animals like i have held infant crocodiles which we quite difficult to hold as they go crazy and also have sharp teeth, snakes around my neck, handled frogs,toads, lizards and have also have handled some dangerous dogs like pitbull terriers, Japanese Akitas and Rotweilers. But when it comes to creepy crawlys like big spiders and fat moths then i just can't help but to cringe.

TheRationalizer
12-30-2010, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by elina
One of my first jobs included standing in front of up to 30 members of the public (up to 3 lots of 30 people every hour) and explaining how some hardware worked. I relaxed once I realised the following. I could tell them any old rubbish and they'd accept it, if they knew any better then they wouldn't be sitting down listening to me :-)

The only thing I fear at the moment is that my posts on here will keep getting deleted, but I don't think it classes as a phobia if it actually keeps happening :-)

Adil
01-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Salamu aleikum
Allah has put on every human being the desire for something and fear/dislike of something else.Allah knows that you like this and you dont like that.

I think its normal everyone has some "rational fear" even I! hehe yea I admit I dont like grasshoppers everytime I see you I take the vacuum cleaner and vacuuum it! btw in this generation of horror films,sara jane and videogames...its strange to have fear of something,looks like this world is giving us ideas and imagination and when we see the reality we run away from it.
Example : A person who was born is Africa is used to all kind of animals so he is not afraid or dislike anything in particular....while us with lots of toys and such we are afraid/dislike even of little insects or animals.... for me is embarassing I wish I could live in Africa and see the nature and be afraid of nothing! but I think is not possible because Allah knows that we dislike something so the only thing to do is Call him and Ask him to protect from that.

May Allah,The Creator, give us the strength to overcome our fear.
Wa aleikum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

shakylla
02-07-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm disgusted by house lizards. I don't fear them, as in I don't think they're capable of attacking or killing me; I just find the way they move really revolting. I know that they're among Allah's (SWT) many creations but whenever I spot one—and for some reason my eyes have become extremely adept at this—I automatically feel disgusted. My heart starts pounding and I either (a) freeze and just stare at it for several minutes or (b) give a small shout of surprise and run away.

One time I opened a door and saw a lizard on the opposite wall. I stood there for several seconds and when I finally decided to move along the corridor, the lizard moved as well. And when I ran, it moved even faster. It's as if that lizard was following me!

I also have a fear of heights. Can't go more than five stories up a building and look down from it without feeling like I'm going to fall to my death. I also have a fear of open water (e.g. the ocean). I just don't know what's lurking inside such a vast amount of water and I would imagine a giant sea creature swallowing me.

Hannah.
02-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Spiders - can't stand them. Even if its dead it just HAS to get out the house.
Lizards too! I remember in Pakistan we used to have quite a bit of them crawling around the house.. if one was in my room I wasn't able to go to sleep *shudders*
My mum is the complete opposite tho. She told me in her childhood years she used to boil the dead lizards :o :o

Woodrow
02-07-2011, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shakylla
I'm disgusted by house lizards. I don't fear them, as in I don't think they're capable of attacking or killing me; I just find the way they move really revolting. I know that they're among Allah's (SWT) many creations but whenever I spot one—and for some reason my eyes have become extremely adept at this—I automatically feel disgusted. My heart starts pounding and I either (a) freeze and just stare at it for several minutes or (b) give a small shout of surprise and run away.

One time I opened a door and saw a lizard on the opposite wall. I stood there for several seconds and when I finally decided to move along the corridor, the lizard moved as well. And when I ran, it moved even faster. It's as if that lizard was following me!

I also have a fear of heights. Can't go more than five stories up a building and look down from it without feeling like I'm going to fall to my death. I also have a fear of open water (e.g. the ocean). I just don't know what's lurking inside such a vast amount of water and I would imagine a giant sea creature swallowing me.
A fear of heights was one of my younger fears. As scary as it was I took up mountain climbing at a young age. suffered my first fall when I was 12 years old. but , survived it and as a result of surviving overcame my fear and took up flying when I was 14. Used to hang around a small local airport on Saturdays and exchanged washing and cleaning planes for flying lessons. Took 2 years but did get my first license at 16. The best way to overcome fears is to walk up and face them.

(Just don't be fool hardy about it. It is not smart to walk up and pet a wild tiger to overcome a fear of cats)

Danah
02-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Few years ago I had no problem driving a car, I thought of getting a driving license seriously till I was involved in a bus accident where a woman was driving her car and hit our bus strongly. The moment I saw her covered in blood, imprisoned alone in her smashed car and screaming in fear I got that driving phobia. I can't even imagine myself driving a car.

Some of you may say that this can happen even if I was with my family or someone else in a car. I agree, but I can't just imagine myself being alone in such situation.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-07-2011, 06:24 PM
how do you know when its a phobia?

theres certain times where someone i know gets hurt and my hearing/sight and breathing all slowly fades till i sit far away from said person and drink some water.

is that a phobia?

Woodrow
02-07-2011, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
how do you know when its a phobia?

theres certain times where someone i know gets hurt and my hearing/sight and breathing all slowly fades till i sit far away from said person and drink some water.

is that a phobia?

I would say it is more likely you are a very sensitive person who can not bear seeing anybody you know be in pain. It could be a phobia but I doubt it as I do not think it is fear induced. Some people have a similar reaction except they laugh inappropriately at such times. Your reaction is probably a better one.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-07-2011, 07:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

I would say it is more likely you are a very sensitive person who can not bear seeing anybody you know be in pain. It could be a phobia but I doubt it as I do not think it is fear induced. Some people have a similar reaction except they laugh inappropriately at such times. Your reaction is probably a better one.

but i fear i wont be able to be a man with this sort of reaction in the future.

when my brothers/my wife/my family needs me.

ive asked loads of doctors/people about it no one knows what its about.

ive even recently been at the side of a close cousin who got badly burned and took him to the hospital and stayed besides him but there were many instances where i felt my breathing/hearing/sight slowly fade till i got a breather and some distance.

its really bad when someone is relying on you, its extremely frustrating....

Woodrow
02-07-2011, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
but i fear i wont be able to be a man with this sort of reaction in the future.

when my brothers/my wife/my family needs me.

ive asked loads of doctors/people about it no one knows what its about.

ive even recently been at the side of a close cousin who got badly burned and took him to the hospital and stayed besides him but there were many instances where i felt my breathing/hearing/sight slowly fade till i got a breather and some distance.

its really bad when someone is relying on you, its extremely frustrating....
Not all fears are phobias. a phobia is an unreasonable fear that renders a person unable to act. You seem to have a fear of not being able to act in the case of an emergency. That is not irrational, it is something that needs to be feared. You need more exposure to training as to what to do in an emergency. It is very possible that taking a few First aid courses that include things like CPR, Control of bleeding, Cardio-pulmonary emergencies etc will give you the confidence to know you can help. It is not a cure all, because even experienced Doctors can not always act in the cases where a loved one has become injured.

Re.TiReD
02-07-2011, 10:40 PM
At this precise moment in time I am petrified of my voice never coming back :(

Faatin
02-08-2011, 12:24 AM
icky bathrooms...eeeeek!

shakylla
02-11-2011, 02:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
A fear of heights was one of my younger fears. As scary as it was I took up mountain climbing at a young age. suffered my first fall when I was 12 years old. but , survived it and as a result of surviving overcame my fear and took up flying when I was 14. Used to hang around a small local airport on Saturdays and exchanged washing and cleaning planes for flying lessons. Took 2 years but did get my first license at 16. The best way to overcome fears is to walk up and face them.

(Just don't be fool hardy about it. It is not smart to walk up and pet a wild tiger to overcome a fear of cats)
During secondary school, I had to go for a camping trip and I tried out Flying Fox. I was terrified and yet I thought this experience might help me overcome my fear of heights since I'd have to slide down from several floors up. But it didn't work, sadly. I'm glad I didn't chicken out though and I remember screaming my heart out while I was gliding down the rope.

I forgot to mention that another odd phobia or aversion I have is certain textures. For example, small holes in close proximity to one another on the surface of a pancakeā€”I can't stand them and the moment I look at them, I just stare in disgust. This doesn't stop me from swallowing that pancake though. Lol.

Woodrow
02-11-2011, 05:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by shakylla
During secondary school, I had to go for a camping trip and I tried out Flying Fox. I was terrified and yet I thought this experience might help me overcome my fear of heights since I'd have to slide down from several floors up. But it didn't work, sadly. I'm glad I didn't chicken out though and I remember screaming my heart out while I was gliding down the rope.

Overcoming a fear does not always mean the fear is going to end. But it will always mean you can complete the task, in spite of the fear. The fear will no longer stop you.

Aprender
02-11-2011, 05:31 AM
I'm terribly afraid of heights but I often go hiking on the mountains. The beauty of the view is usually more compelling than the fear during hiking so I "overcome" it during those times. Any other time, I get a little afraid.

I'm also afraid of needles...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!