/* */

PDA

View Full Version : our privacy

جوري
12-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I often wonder if the majority of people really seek the so-called 15 minutes of fame as we are so told.. Seems you can't turn a corner without being violated on the web, on the job, in airports.. to what end?
I hate to google myself because I find all sorts of violations into my privacy which I can't control, anyone can access anyone's personal information for $3.00 and they certainly give you enough by way of numbers, street addresses, emails, age, family genealogy to enable even the clumsiest stalker for free..

I have always valued my privacy but it is completely out of my control now.. I tried numerous times with the websites and they allege it is public records.. I tried google and google alleges that one should contact webmaster directly.. to what end will we continue to be gladly violated? Does anyone value their privacy anymore? or do we like being exposed, raped and probed by every tom, dick and harry because it is the future?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
أحمد
12-11-2010, 09:36 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
I often wonder if the majority of people really seek the so-called 15 minutes of fame as we are so told.. Seems you can't turn a corner without being violated on the web, on the job, in airports.. to what end?
I hate to google myself because I find all sorts of violations into my privacy which I can't control, anyone can access anyone's personal information for $3.00 and they certainly give you enough by way of numbers, street addresses, emails, age, family genealogy to enable even the clumsiest stalker for free..

I have always valued my privacy but it is completely out of my control now.. I tried numerous times with the websites and they allege it is public records.. I tried google and google alleges that one should contact webmaster directly.. to what end will we continue to be gladly violated? Does anyone value their privacy anymore? or do we like being exposed, raped and probed by every tom, dick and harry because it is the future?
We may not be comfortable, but this is reality; we either have to live with it, or try to change it. It won't change overnight.

:wa:

جوري
12-11-2010, 09:42 PM
How do we change it, that is the question.. please don't think I haven't been trying, including the last four hours to remove my information from the web, and that of my kin.. ugh even the name changes of my sister in law after marriage is there for all, addresses everything.. and think I don't even have face book or any of those social network sites to believe I am to be faulted.. it is a wonder at all that anyone who has a vendetta against anyone can simply do a 3 second search on a search engine purchase their weapon of choice and they're good to go!

GuestFellow
12-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Salaam,

I remember you said you come from a family of diplomats? This could be the reason why your privacy has been invaded. Top official names will be on the Internet and then it is simple to get information about you.

How to Remove Your Personal Information from Google and Internet

Google Phonebook Name Removal

A simple step everyone can do is not put too much information on the Internet. This is why I avoid Facebook and MySpace. Plus, don't put information of people you know very well, because this can be traced back to you.

I think the EU has been thinking of introducing policies to protect an individual privacy. It's called ''the right to be forgotten!'' I like this proposal...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
أحمد
12-11-2010, 10:08 PM

How do we change it, that is the question.. please don't think I haven't been trying, including the last four hours to remove my information from the web, and that of my kin.. ugh even the name changes of my sister in law after marriage is there for all, addresses everything.. and think I don't even have face book or any of those social network sites to believe I am to be faulted.. it is a wonder at all that anyone who has a vendetta against anyone can simply do a 3 second search on a search engine purchase their weapon of choice and they're good to go!
Its nearly impossible to make such changes within a few hours; at least so for a standard PC user, using a standard PC.

The information on your computer becomes vulnerable, as soon as you conect to the internet.

As for those who provide information for money; there's very little that can be done right now, as they are able to access the information through local and other legal means.

جوري
12-11-2010, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Salaam,

I remember you said you come from a family of diplomats? This could be the reason why your privacy has been invaded. Top official names will be on the Internet and then it is simple to get information about you.

How to Remove Your Personal Information from Google and Internet

Google Phonebook Name Removal

A simple step everyone can do is not put too much information on the Internet. This is why I avoid Facebook and MySpace. Plus, don't put information of people you know very well, because this can be traced back to you.

I think the EU has been thinking of introducing policies to protect an individual privacy. It's called ''the right to be forgotten!'' I like this proposal...
I don't mind articles published or stuff of that nature being published.. we all agree that stuff you have done for work differs from your personal info. where you live, your age, your immediate family etc.
sure if you write an article or have a professional career that will be published, it is of essence.. and one agrees to it.. the other stuff one doesn't agree with. I really don't want people knowing where I live, who my family is stuff of that nature.. I'll check out the page you linked insha'Allah...

:w:

-Fallen Angel-
12-11-2010, 10:54 PM
He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.
I think that lame excuses such as terror threats are used *cough9/11* just to have big brother control and monitor us like farm animals, and while there are many who refuse to believe this it's very much happening. I think what's most funny is how people are willing to sacrafice their privacy and freedom for false security. We're promised a lot about how these new security regulations and rules benefit us and all that rubbish but then we find these things being either exploited by somebody and used wrongly, or that we find out these things can pose health risks. I think sooner or later we'll be living in glass houses and exposed to the world fitted with tracking chips or collars and whatever else they plan to propose and have the military and police patrolling every corner "for our safety" if things go like this. Seems like our "privacy" is slowly disappearing because i think almost everyone collect our data from small companies to huge corporations like Google (biggest offender here) and Microsoft.

أحمد
12-11-2010, 11:04 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by -Fallen Angel-
I think that lame excuses such as terror threats are used *cough9/11* just to have big brother control and monitor us like farm animals, and while there are many who refuse to believe this it's very much happening. I think what's most funny is how people are willing to sacrafice their privacy and freedom for false security. We're promised a lot about how these new security regulations and rules benefit us and all that rubbish but then we find these things being either exploited by somebody and used wrongly, or that we find out these things can pose health risks. I think sooner or later we'll be living in glass houses and exposed to the world fitted with tracking chips or collars and whatever else they plan to propose and have the military and police patrolling every corner "for our safety" if things go like this. Seems like our "privacy" is slowly disappearing because i think almost everyone collect our data from small companies to huge corporations like Google (biggest offender here) and Microsoft.
Yes, we do live in a very much "Orwellion" society.

Sawdah
12-12-2010, 02:49 AM

I don't mind articles published or stuff of that nature being published.. we all agree that stuff you have done for work differs from your personal info. where you live, your age, your immediate family etc.
sure if you write an article or have a professional career that will be published, it is of essence.. and one agrees to it.. the other stuff one doesn't agree with. I really don't want people knowing where I live, who my family is stuff of that nature.. I'll check out the page you linked insha'Allah...

They know where you live? :-\

SubhanAllah sis, I'm sorry you have to go through all that, this must be a tough time for you. :( It seems as though nobody really cares if their information is being put up for strangers to see, it's a very sad thing.

This is probably a dumb question but, how did they get that? Did you give it to them in some way? Plus, don't they need your permission if they're going to put it up on the internet?

Woodrow
12-12-2010, 02:57 AM
The world of the internet is about where TV was in the early1950s. You can see whereTV has gone since then.

Now we all need to keep in mind there is a major difference between TV and the internet. You watch TV, the Internet watches you.

The second you log onto the internet every thing on your PC can be accessible by other people.

Just a suggestion if you are a person (like me) who prefers to store everything on a pc use a seperate pc, that you never connect to the internet on for that. If there is something on your private PC you need to share online, copy it onto a flash drive and use that on your internet PC and remove the Flash after you share the info.

Also never put anything on any PC you will ever use online, unless you don't mind if your worse enemy can see it.

جوري
12-12-2010, 03:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SeekerofJannah
This is probably a dumb question but, how did they get that? Did you give it to them in some way? Plus, don't they need your permission if they're going to put it up on the internet?

No they don't I keep telling them to remove my info. (and it is more than one site) and they say this is public records.. then I ask what right have you to populate it and put it on the internet? they allege they can't do anything about it, it is out of their hands I contact google, and google says to contact webmaster.. please google yourself see what comes up.. In fact even my purchases from Islamic stores is on there.. word to the wise never leave a testimony for anyone, it will be there along with your other private information. I asked the people at the Islamic store not to use my name and they did anyway.. my number is unlisted in real life yet there it is on the net sob7an Allah.. I even called this govt. number not to have telemarketers call us at home to solicit us and we still get telemarketers from govt. agencies like the fire dept asking for donation of the Police dept. it is BS all of it..
there is no measure of privacy I feel very violated all the time.. don't you?

CosmicPathos
12-12-2010, 04:49 AM
we get telemarketing calls too ...

~Raindrop~
12-12-2010, 07:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
we get telemarketing calls too ...
You can stop most of those quite easily..register with the TPS (it's free) and they won't call you.

GuestFellow
12-12-2010, 12:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The second you log onto the internet every thing on your PC can be accessible by other people.

Just a suggestion if you are a person (like me) who prefers to store everything on a pc use a seperate pc, that you never connect to the internet on for that. If there is something on your private PC you need to share online, copy it onto a flash drive and use that on your internet PC and remove the Flash after you share the info.

Also never put anything on any PC you will ever use online, unless you don't mind if your worse enemy can see it.

You can use a USB to store some of your personal information, however there is a danger of losing your USB. :/

I'm going to get another USB, one for work and one to store personal information.

أحمد
12-12-2010, 04:02 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The world of the internet is about where TV was in the early1950s. You can see whereTV has gone since then.

Now we all need to keep in mind there is a major difference between TV and the internet. You watch TV, the Internet watches you.

Using a separate PC is a very good way to prevent much problems, and its a lot easier than setting up useraccounts with companies claiming to "help tackle privacy threats".

Sawdah
12-12-2010, 04:48 PM

No they don't I keep telling them to remove my info. (and it is more than one site) and they say this is public records.. then I ask what right have you to populate it and put it on the internet? they allege they can't do anything about it, it is out of their hands I contact google, and google says to contact webmaster.. please google yourself see what comes up.. In fact even my purchases from Islamic stores is on there.. word to the wise never leave a testimony for anyone, it will be there along with your other private information. I asked the people at the Islamic store not to use my name and they did anyway.. my number is unlisted in real life yet there it is on the net sob7an Allah.. I even called this govt. number not to have telemarketers call us at home to solicit us and we still get telemarketers from govt. agencies like the fire dept asking for donation of the Police dept. it is BS all of it..
there is no measure of privacy I feel very violated all the time.. don't you?

That's horrible sis and a load of trash they're telling you. I agree that it's hard to erase things from the internet, but I'm pretty sure that the Islamic store you wrote a testimony for can definitely take off your name from their website. Does the website have a privacy page that tells you if they can share information on the website with others? They can't say something like that if they don't have that mentioned anywhere nor have mentioned it to you.

I don't really do much on the internet under my real name. Although, if I search SeekerofJannah, I find all my post on every blog, every sign up I've done on a website, and there's a couple of sites that gather all of them together. Sure, it's not my real name, but I get angry about it because I could only imagine if it were my real name I was using. I have a friend that puts up her real picture of herself up and uses her real name with everything, including date of birth, country and a good description of where in the country. She doesn't care because she wants to be known, but the thing is we should never feel safe with the internet. The internet is an open place for everyone to see and we don't know everyone. So trusting the internet is trusting anybody to see your info at anytime.

Read their privacy pages sis lily, if it doesn't say anywhere that they can share such information, then if you're willing to, sue them. (but not the islamic store because their our brothers and sisters and yes, they shouldn't have shared but just get in contact with them again and demand that they take it off, they had no right to do so).

May Allah ease all your affairs sis, ameen.

جوري
12-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Jazaki Allah khyran sister.. I do realize that, many people don't find problems with their name/age/life/genealogy/purchases being posted on the world wide web and I imagine that is precisely why facebook and other sites of that nature exist. I am only bothered when it is in spite of ones will, and totally out of ones control. I have no desire to sue because I am not sure where the source is. They say this is public records being posted on the web, so how does one go about erasing their public records? lol anyway al7mdlillah what can I say or do.. I won't do anything against the Islamic store either further the store itself is located in England and completely outside of our jurisprudence but it is annoying nonetheless that they gave me their word they'd only post it with my initials and still my full name it attached to it..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!