/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic films

nature
12-13-2010, 10:57 AM
:sl:

This is kinda connected to tyrion's thread, which got closed before i had chance to post a couple of questions about films.

Im wanting to know if there are any films out there about islam ? esp history ones. I find it easier 2 remember things , wen im watching something rather than reading off text books.

I've heard of the message, but ive not actually watched it in full. is it worth watching ? is there any more that anyone could recommend for learning purposes.

also we had these 2 people door knocking the other day, (muslim) who left a DVD 2 watch, and they are supposed to return in a month for feedback. The DVD is called "god's story from creation to eternity" by mirpur pahari. from the description it sounds like its about the prophets.(pbuh) Ive been told by some1 that were not allowed to watch films like this, as characters are being used to resemble prophets. I cant post the link but has anyone seen this film ?

Also would these sorts of films be permissable to watch ? if there about islam ? or does it come under moving imagery which is haram right ?

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rafeeq
12-13-2010, 12:30 PM

Dear Sis nature,

If you really want to learn history, I will recommend you to read some reliable books which offers source (which can be varified). In film, it is all depends on director's dicretion who is shooting the film. So intigrity of the subject is marely dependent on one person who is investing.

On the other hand, resembling any prophets (Salalahu Ta'ala Elehim) prohibited. And last but not least, if you are not aware of real history, you might accept what ever they have shooted but it might be completely wronge.

nature
12-13-2010, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rafeeq
And last but not least, if you are not aware of real history, you might accept what ever they have shooted but it might be completely wronge.

Salaam

Im well aware of that, which is why i was asking for suggestions from people that might have viewed something that might be of benifit.

aadil77
12-13-2010, 05:08 PM
You can't learn about islam in detail from films

but the two best films I've seen on islam are:

The Message
Journey to Mecca

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nature
12-14-2010, 08:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
You can't learn about islam in detail from films
not the whole of islam i know, but its a break from reading, and i take things in better, when viewing.

Journey to Mecca
Ive never heard of this one ? by Bruce Neibaur. I'll try and watch this at some point. I thought there would have been a lot more well known ones, ive seen the christianity ones, years ago, i thought there would have been similar ones, in islam, obviously not with actors resembling prophets (pbuh) but history based ones.

Tyrion
12-14-2010, 10:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nature

This is kinda connected to tyrion's thread, which got closed before i had chance to post a couple of questions about films.
:(

Im wanting to know if there are any films out there about islam ? esp history ones. I find it easier 2 remember things , wen im watching something rather than reading off text books.

I've heard of the message, but ive not actually watched it in full. is it worth watching ? is there any more that anyone could recommend for learning purposes.
Maybe you could look for videos of lectures as well? Youtube is full of them, and there are a lot on Halaltube.com... Nouman Ali Khan has some amazing lectures, as well as a tafsir series where he goes over the surahs in the 30th juz of the Quran. Suhaib Webb is also pretty good, although I haven't seen too many of his vids yet. Debates are also informative and fun to watch, so you could try those as well. Shabir Ally is a really good Islamic debater, and theres a lot of stuff on youtube with him.

Also would these sorts of films be permissable to watch ? if there about islam ? or does it come under moving imagery which is haram right ?

Yet another rule I don't really hear much about. :p If moving imagery was haram, then it would be kind of hard to live in todays world... It would also make all Islamic videos/lectures haram, and I'm pretty sure most of todays scholars wouldn't agree with that. (since a lot of them are in lecture videos of their own. :p) But yeah, perhaps more research should be done before you dismiss all films as haram.

aadil77
12-14-2010, 10:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nature

Ive never heard of this one ? by Bruce Neibaur. I'll try and watch this at some point. I thought there would have been a lot more well known ones, ive seen the christianity ones, years ago, i thought there would have been similar ones, in islam, obviously not with actors resembling prophets (pbuh) but history based ones.
It came out a few months back, its not much of a film but more of a documentry on Hajj

nature
12-15-2010, 09:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Maybe you could look for videos of lectures as well? Youtube is full of them, and there are a lot on Halaltube.com... Nouman Ali Khan has some amazing lectures, as well as a tafsir series where he goes over the surahs in the 30th juz of the Quran. Suhaib Webb is also pretty good, although I haven't seen too many of his vids yet. Debates are also informative and fun to watch, so you could try those as well. Shabir Ally is a really good Islamic debater, and theres a lot of stuff on youtube with him.
:sl: Jazakhaallah, ive never heard of these people, so i'll look them up. I just thort there would be more history films at least like they have in christianity but i'll defo try and watch whats been suggested.

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Yet another rule I don't really hear much about. If moving imagery was haram, then it would be kind of hard to live in todays world.
erm, lets not go there. I dont quite understand the exact rulings myself. I can see why certain "inappropriate" movies arent allowed cos i suppose its like commiting haram with your eyes. but if its lectures and its deen related, then i'm gona still use this as a learning tool, seen as though most people think its ok.

It came out a few months back, its not much of a film but more of a documentry on Hajj
Jazakhallah for the input.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!