/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Billboard 'Islam Rising-Be Warned'

Abdul-Raouf
12-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Why is South Carolina's Anti-Islamic Propaganda Billboard Still Up?

by Adriel Luis December 01, 2010 05:00 AM (PT)

Driving along South Carolina's Interstate 26 at this time of year, one is introduced to a number of wondrous scenes: trees slightly tinged with orange; a vast blue sky; generous 70-something degree weather. Oh yeah, and hate propaganda that could make a Chairman blush.

A billboard donning the words "Islam Rising" in bold red letters – with the tagline "Be Warned" – is a beacon for fearmongerers promoting a documentary of the same name produced by the ultra-conservative Christian Action Network for those who can only swallow information in two-word doses about the 'threats' of Islamic culture.
Well, here's another two-worder for you: That's racist.

The "Islam Rising" headline is accompanied by the angry eyes of someone who looks like a cross between Scorpion from Mortal Combat and the chain belonging to Plies the rapper. The caricature peering at you through a ski mask is, supposedly, an Islamic terrorist. Silly racists forgot that everyone knows it doesn't snow in Muslim Town.

Making my first roadtrip through the State of Smiling Faces and Beautiful Places, my first reaction to it was of course to immediately u-turn and snap photos (my parents love when I post travel pix). My next was to 'tap the Googles' and see what outrage has erupted around it. But coverage of the display is overwhelmingly in support of the billboard and its message, with only a couple of local networks acknowledging that some people might possibly kinda sorta have a problem with it.

The billboard has been up since May, which makes it the longest-standing documentary film billboard I've seen besides the one for Spy Kids which was up for two years in East Oakland. Some might argue that freedom of speech legally allows the billboard to stay standing for as long as it wants, and the cost of putting one up there ranges from $500 to $2,000 a month, chump-change for an organization like CAN.

But such a flagrant and coercive piece of propaganda in an area where Muslims have barely any platform to speak can lead to hatred and violence. The tone of CAN's We Will Never Forget 9/11 event held this past September is a further indication that this message of generalization and xenophobia is intentional and meant to spread far beyond just a billboard.
The Christian Action Network's central campaigns are based on spreading Islamphobia, so petitioning the organization would probably be as effective as tossing a Twinkie at an elephant. So we at Change.org suggest you go straight to the source: please take a moment to sign our petition to Revelation Outdoor Management, the South Carolina branch of the advertising agency which owns said billboard space.
Let's get this thing down.

Source : http://humanrights.change.org/blog/v...board_still_up

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
12-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I wonder if these people will make similar billboards for The Dark Knight Rises, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines or Metal Gear Solid: Rising?

GuestFellow
12-14-2010, 06:52 PM
:sl:

I think the guy in the billboard looks cool. I want to look like that. :shade: Seriously, I do worry if people are taking that billboard seriously.

Dagless
12-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Lol I didn't realise it was a film. I just thought it was a general bigoted statement :D If it's anything like his last one I doubt it'll get many watchers.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
12-14-2010, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow

I think the guy in the billboard looks cool. I want to look like that. :shade: Seriously, I do worry if people are taking that billboard seriously.
It's not going to convice anyone who didn't already have entrenched negative opinions about Islam.

Unless Teenage Mutant Ninja Jihadis like the one in the picture are that dang influential.

Sigma
12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
It's sad people resort to this kind of stuff. There is enough misinformation floating about as it is.

Perseveranze
12-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Sad to say, but in the West and certainly in the UK, the majority of the non-Muslims now have a negative opinion about Islam. Just reading articles about letting a hate preacher enter the UK, in the comments the majority were in support of "what he had to say", knowing this guy was about to make a "burn the Quran day".

All I can say is, these are some real testing times for the Ummah in the west. But truth be told;

"No matter how much lies they like to spread against Islam, they can never succeed in extinguishing the knowledge and guidance of Islam. We need not worry about what they do, if they're working very hard to earn the punishment of the fire, we can neither stop them, nor save them. Only Allah can save whoever He wills, and Allah knows best." (Quran 61:8)

Muezzin
12-14-2010, 07:16 PM
The way I see it, in the long run these jokers are shooting themselves in the collective foot. Let's see how many people revert to Islam down the line as an indirect result of this 'marketing'.

S.Belle
12-14-2010, 08:10 PM
think about it in a positive light someone may see the sign and think why should i be warned?
Then they may actually look into Islam and accept it inshallah
Just like when people actually started to study Islam due to the whole Burn the Quran day scheme any attempts made to destroy Islam will only fail I thought some of them would have realized that by now..

جوري
12-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Islam is rising insha'Allah and shall reign supreme.. remind me to call south Carolina to thank them for this free advertisement..
you know what they say.. so long as they remember your name :D

MartyrX
12-14-2010, 11:37 PM
I don't care for these kind of statements. Movie or not, it can still breed fear and hate.

GuestFellow
12-14-2010, 11:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
I don't care for these kind of statements. Movie or not, it can still breed fear and hate.

On a positive side, at least it exposes how easily some people can be mislead. When history comes back to judge this, it will be in favour of Muslims.

Mike3449
12-15-2010, 01:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Lol I didn't realise it was a film. I just thought it was a general racist statement :D If it's anything like his last one I doubt it'll get many watchers.
Islam is not a "race". It is not racist to be against Islam or any other religion.

Ummu Sufyaan
12-15-2010, 01:58 AM
edit...........

جوري
12-15-2010, 02:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
im sure we can safety assume what the brother meant ..unless you are trying to stir some lame argument then it would be understood why you didnt understand it..

I fear when they have nothing else to counter their patent stupidity, warmongering, islamophobia, they'll end up lost in semantics.. You know that justifies their acts and makes it all better..

question remains really why do we let these cesspool dwellers on to an Islamicboard?

Dagless
12-15-2010, 02:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mike3449
Islam is not a "race". It is not racist to be against Islam or any other religion.
Lol, ok I've changed it to "bigoted". I hope that aids your understanding.

Mike3449
12-15-2010, 02:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
im sure we can safety assume what the brother meant :hmm: ..unless you are trying to stir some lame argument then it would be understood why you didnt understand it..

No lame argument at all.

"Racist" has come to mean anything you want it to. Usually to stifle speech.

A belief system is what any religion is. And, criticizing a belief system is not racist. Any and all belief systems should be able to defend their beliefs. How else would any group gain followers?

Mike3449
12-15-2010, 02:12 AM
How is it bigoted?

جوري
12-15-2010, 02:13 AM
I doubt it.. ancillary comments are always a good deflection from admittance to inescapable bigotry!

:w:

جوري
12-15-2010, 02:14 AM
How is it bigoted?

What do you think the intention was with the billboard? Perhaps if we start with your understanding you won't be so fixated on definitions?

Dagless
12-15-2010, 02:20 AM
How is it bigoted?
Trolling or genuinely confused? I really hope it's just trolling.

Bigoted
–adjective
utterly intolerant of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

I knew that South Carolina was not an Islamic state, therefore Islam would be a belief system that differs from the majority living there. Hence when I first saw it I assumed it was just another bigoted statement from a prejudiced southern state.

:D

Detritavore
12-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Is this a movie poster? Really? Well talk about fail advertising. I honestly thought it was someone's idea of an ill conceived joke or, and this one was a long shot, shameless self-promotion by a radical fundamentalist group (doubtful, very doubtful), but a movie poster. Wow.

Perseveranze
12-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Your being a bit too close hearted for someone claiming they want to "understand Islam".

aamirsaab
12-15-2010, 04:55 PM
I would face palm but my hand is tired.

ChargerCarl
12-17-2010, 08:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

I fear when they have nothing else to counter their patent stupidity, warmongering, islamophobia, they'll end up lost in semantics.. You know that justifies their acts and makes it all better..

question remains really why do we let these cesspool dwellers on to an Islamicboard?
"cesspool dwellers"

And you have the nerve to call out people for being "islamaphobic"

جوري
12-17-2010, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ChargerCarl
"cesspool dwellers" And you have the nerve to call out people for being "islamaphobic"
I do indeed!

all the best

Perseveranze
12-18-2010, 01:00 AM
No lame argument at all.

"Racist" has come to mean anything you want it to. Usually to stifle speech.

A belief system is what any religion is. And, criticizing a belief system is not racist. Any and all belief systems should be able to defend their beliefs. How else would any group gain followers?
Asalaamu Alaikum (peace be with you),

A system is really not the best word to describe Islam, a more accurate perception of Islam is that for Muslims it is a "way of life". System's may change, Islam doesn't.

And let's be honest her, there is criticizing which is fine, the Muslims will always have an answer (as long as the right people are given the opportunity to speak), but in regards to this board, "Islam is rising, beaware", does that really sound like plain simple critisism to you? When you are driving down that road and you see that sign, would you not feel in a sense threatened and almost paranoid, because of that "beaware" part?

I think that's not right to do, it doesn't come as critisism either, instead it is negative and false propoganda.

titus
12-18-2010, 02:58 AM
Semantics. That reminds me of the people that say Arabs cannot be anti-Semitic. Regardless of the wording, the meaning is clear. The purpose of this movie/billboard was to spread fear of a group of people. Racist may not be the semantically correct term, but it most certainly conveys the intent.

Pygoscelis
12-18-2010, 08:30 AM
I clearly have more to fear from these people who made this billboard than from the average muslim, and certainly than the vast majority of muslims in north america. It is actually quite ironic how these people are just as fundamentalist and radical as the group they claim to be warning me about. Yes, there are radical muslims out there I do need to be concerned about, but these people making this sign are THEMSELVES radical christians, in my own home, that I need to be much more concerned about.

This is like a shark swimming right up to me, gnashing its teeth, and "warning" me that there is a killer whale two oceans away.

Mike3449
12-26-2010, 12:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Your being a bit too close hearted for someone claiming they want to "understand Islam".

I don't think so.

Any belief system should be able to defend their beliefs. Defending culture may be a little different. Because one would be born into it and not responsible for everything that a culture displays to the rest of the world.

Joining a religion, believing in a religion, believing in a political system, etc... that is a personal decision and assuming a person makes that decision they should be able to defend any part of it. It's a choice.

Being against a religion or political system does not a bigot make.

:D

Mike3449
12-26-2010, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I clearly have more to fear from these people who made this billboard than from the average muslim, and certainly than the vast majority of muslims in north america. It is actually quite ironic how these people are just as fundamentalist and radical as the group they claim to be warning me about. Yes, there are radical muslims out there I do need to be concerned about, but these people making this sign are THEMSELVES radical christians, in my own home, that I need to be much more concerned about.

This is like a shark swimming right up to me, gnashing its teeth, and "warning" me that there is a killer whale two oceans away.

What is a "radical" Muslim?

For that matter what is a "moderate" Muslim?

GuestFellow
12-26-2010, 12:51 PM

Some say a radical Muslim is a person who carries out terrorist attacks. Others go on to say radical Muslims are those who believe in the Sharia too.

As for a moderate Muslim, some say these Muslims do not carry out a terrorist attack. Some extend this by saying moderate Muslims are those who believe in western style of democracy.

The term radical and moderate are subjective and non-Muslims have different opinions on what is a radical and moderate Muslim. In fact, what would you say is a radical and moderate Muslim. You must have some idea.

aadil77
12-26-2010, 12:53 PM

western definition of a moderate muslim is person who has a muslim name

but we don't believe in moderate/radical muslims, theres good muslims and theres bad muslims

Mike3449
12-26-2010, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Some say a radical Muslim is a person who carries out terrorist attacks. Others go on to say radical Muslims are those who believe in the Sharia too.

As for a moderate Muslim, some say these Muslims do not carry out a terrorist attack. Some extend this by saying moderate Muslims are those who believe in western style of democracy.

The term radical and moderate are subjective and non-Muslims have different opinions on what is a radical and moderate Muslim. In fact, what would you say is a radical and moderate Muslim. You must have some idea.

My opinion, as far as have one to describe these two camps in Islam, really does not matter. I am here to learn what Muslims believe about their religion.

However, I would say neither exist. A person follows something or they don't. The one who does is not a "radical". The one who does not is not a "moderate".

If a person stones another person. I would consider that a radical thing to do. But, in the context of Islam. It's a moderate thing. I don't see Iran as radical Islamic State. As far as I can tell they are neither adding to what Islam requires, nor are they deliberately ignoring. So that would be considered "moderate".

Mike3449
12-26-2010, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
western definition of a moderate muslim is person who has a muslim name

but we don't believe in moderate/radical muslims, theres good muslims and theres bad muslims

What makes a bad one? One you don't agree with?

جوري
12-26-2010, 02:41 PM

One who doesn't follow Islam!
hope that clarifies it for you!

all the best

جوري
12-26-2010, 02:44 PM
If a person stones another person. I would consider that a radical thing to do. But, in the context of Islam. It's a moderate thing. I don't see Iran as radical Islamic State. As far as I can tell they are neither adding to what Islam requires, nor are they deliberately ignoring. So that would be considered "moderate".
what piece of crap is this? If you come on this board as a complete ignoramus wanting to learn about Islam and Muslims and admit it, I can accept that, but come here with your pre-supposed stupidities that are fed you around the clock to inflame and instigate faulty premises from which you want everyone to draw then frankly there is no room for you here, you belong along with the idiots who put up the billboard!

I have positively ZERO TOLERANCE for your ilk!

Mike3449
12-26-2010, 02:48 PM

what piece of crap is this? If you come on this board as a complete ignoramus wanting to learn about Islam and Muslims and admit it, I can accept that, but come here with your pre-supposed stupidities that are fed you around the clock to inflame and instigate faulty premises from which you want everyone to draw then frankly there is no room for you here, you belong along with the idiots who put up the billboard!

I have positively ZERO TOLERANCE for your ilk!

It would be better to show where I am wrong... Instead you attack, for no reason that I can see.

جوري
12-26-2010, 02:55 PM
It would be better to show where I am wrong... Instead you attack, for no reason that I can see.

use the search feature it is right there on your anatomical right.. and as a general rule before you write of any topic where you profess expertise better check first the Islamic view on the matter before opening your stinking bazoo-- all your usual banalities have been debunked extensively!

all the best

Mike3449
12-26-2010, 03:02 PM

use the search feature it is right there on your anatomical right.. and as a general rule before you write of any topic where you profess expertise better check first the Islamic view on the matter before opening your stinking bazoo-- all your usual banalities have been debunked extensively!

all the best

You have not detailed anything that I have said wrong.

I'd appreciate it if you would... and you would feel much better if you did. I'm sure of that.

Just give it a try.

جوري
12-26-2010, 03:50 PM
You have not detailed anything that I have said wrong. I'd appreciate it if you would... and you would feel much better if you did. I'm sure of that. Just give it a try.

use the search feature it is right there on your anatomical right.. and as a general rule before you write of any topic where you profess expertise better check first the Islamic view on the matter before opening your stinking bazoo-- all your usual banalities have been debunked extensively! all the best
all the best

aadil77
12-26-2010, 05:10 PM
one who goes against islamic laws and principles

Mike3449
01-10-2011, 01:53 AM

all the best

Search?

Is that all you got?

I feel our pain.

جوري
01-10-2011, 01:55 AM
Search? Is that all you got? I feel our pain.

I don't think you should write until you're coherent.. someone should declare you Compos mentis and a little foamy around the mouth!

all the best

Mike3449
01-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Search?

Is that all you got?

I feel our pain.

Me?

It's a shame that an individual would post and not speak the truth.

I don't think you should write until you're coherent.. someone should declare you Compos mentis and a little foamy around the mouth!

all the best

جوري
01-10-2011, 01:59 AM
Me? It's a shame that an individual would post and not speak the truth.

Yeah you.. Your brand of truth can be found in the tabloids, why don't you take that to the pipes forums, it is the sort of thing idiots thrive on!

all the best

Mike3449
01-10-2011, 02:07 AM

Yeah you.. Your brand of truth can be found in the tabloids, why don't you take that to the pipes forums, it is the sort of thing idiots thrive on!

all the best
Prove that...

جوري
01-10-2011, 02:16 AM
Prove that...

We have been doing that on every thread, if you can't deal with reality then you don't need to be writing on a forum, rather you need a psychiatrist who enjoys a challenge!

MustafaMc
01-10-2011, 03:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I clearly have more to fear from these people who made this billboard than from the average muslim ...This is like a shark swimming right up to me, gnashing its teeth, and "warning" me that there is a killer whale two oceans away.
I agree with you. These are the type of people who demonize and spread fear of others only later to justify comitting atrocities against them.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!