/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Atheist Seeking Conservative Community

fschmidt
12-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I posted "Atheist Seeking Church" [Link Removed as its not necessary] to a Christian forum, but so far I haven't found what I am looking for. I realize that an Atheist, by definition, cannot be Muslim. But historically, Muslims have been very tolerant of other beliefs. So I was wondering if there is a place for an Atheist family in the Muslim community, as guests who share similar conservative values? If so, I would visit my local Islamic Center and see how well Islam would work for us.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
fschmidt
12-15-2010, 09:11 PM
I tried posting a link to give the context, but apparently that isn't allowed. So I will copy the context (my relevant posts from the Christian forum) here:

----------------------------------------------
I am an atheist who is disgusted with modern decadent culture. I am looking for a church to join that has good moral values. I also want this for my kids so that they can associate with decent people. I have the following criteria:

1. Must have a church in El Paso, TX where I live.

2. Must be tolerant enough to accept an atheist who only views Christ as an intelligent moral man whose advice is worth following.

3. Must strongly support monogamy and promote marriage.

4. Must have a strict dress code in church. No tattoos, body piercings, or immodest dress.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I thought I would give an update on my search. I have visited 2 Christian churches, Mormon and Sovereign Grace Ministries. These services were 3 hours and 2 hours for a total of 5 hours in church so far. In all that time, I haven't heard a single mention of any moral or ethical issues. The entire focus was on faith in Christ, which of course means nothing to me as an Atheist. I think I could put up with 80% faith and 20% ethics. If I remember the Gospels from reading them a long time ago, Christ did have a lot to say about moral issues, and I generally agree with Christ. Do any churches discuss this kind of thing? So I am disappointed so far. I will visit Greek Orthodox next week.

Sigma
12-15-2010, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fschmidt
I posted "Atheist Seeking Church" [Link Removed as its not necessary] to a Christian forum, but so far I haven't found what I am looking for. I realize that an Atheist, by definition, cannot be Muslim. But historically, Muslims have been very tolerant of other beliefs. So I was wondering if there is a place for an Atheist family in the Muslim community, as guests who share similar conservative values? If so, I would visit my local Islamic Center and see how well Islam would work for us.
I'm sorry, i'm slightly confused. You wish to be part of the "Muslim community" as guests? And partake in Islamic activities?

A noble aim if it is so, but i'm not sure what you mean by "how well Islam would work for us" and "a place in the Muslim community". What kind of place in the Muslim community? and what do you mean exactly by how well Islam would work for us?

Perseveranze
12-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum(Peace be unto you),

From the sounds of it, you want to learn more about Islam correct? That's fine really, I am sure you can go into a mosque and speak to the Imam or anyone who will discuss things with you. And don't worry, they won't turn you away because your an Athiest lol.

Or you could use these forums to do just that aswell (make a thread, ask a few questions etc.), in the process you will hopefully have understood Islam alot better.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
12-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Welcome

do visit your local islamic centre and see for yourself what muslims are like, rather than just the bad apples the media likes to showcase

Muslimman
12-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Hi there,
It will help you alot to tell where you are and what kind of help you exactly need and why.

جوري
12-16-2010, 02:37 AM
:welcome: aboard..

mods:
is this the right section for this thread? we'll have to wait for approval with each post.. perhaps you can move it where it is more suited?

:w:

siam
12-16-2010, 03:48 AM
what do you mean by "conservative values"?

---depending on perspective---one could call Islam "radically progressive"

fschmidt
12-16-2010, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sigma
I'm sorry, i'm slightly confused. You wish to be part of the "Muslim community" as guests? And partake in Islamic activities?

A noble aim if it is so, but i'm not sure what you mean by "how well Islam would work for us" and "a place in the Muslim community". What kind of place in the Muslim community? and what do you mean exactly by how well Islam would work for us?
When traveling with my family, I noticed how the environment (meaning the people) affected the behavior of my kids, particularly my daughter. A conservative environment, like Muslim or Orthodox Jewish, had a very positive effect. I also felt happier in these environments.

So yes, I would like my family to spend time around conservative people. Beliefs don't concern me very much. So I have no problem attending a religious service even if I don't believe what is said, as long as the conservative values are there. A religion would work for us if this is possible.

format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
From the sounds of it, you want to learn more about Islam correct? That's fine really, I am sure you can go into a mosque and speak to the Imam or anyone who will discuss things with you. And don't worry, they won't turn you away because your an Athiest lol.

Or you could use these forums to do just that aswell (make a thread, ask a few questions etc.), in the process you will hopefully have understood Islam alot better.
I like to learn. I enjoyed reading John Glubb's books "The Life and Times of Muhammad" and "A Short History of the Arab Peoples". But at this point, I know what I am looking for in a religion. The only question is which is the best fit. Once I choose a religion, I will certainly spend more time learning about it.

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
do visit your local islamic centre and see for yourself what muslims are like, rather than just the bad apples the media likes to showcase
Thank you, I will. I posted my request to a number of forums and the most reasonable responses so far have been here. The Christian responses were mixed. And my fellow Atheists consistently gave horrible responses.

format_quote Originally Posted by siam
what do you mean by "conservative values"?

---depending on perspective---one could call Islam "radically progressive"
Yes words can mean whatever you want them to mean. What I mean is basically consideration for others. A woman who dresses provocatively, for example, is showing a complete lack of consideration for men, selfishly feeding her own ego at men's expense. If you look at history, you will find certain kinds of behavior that are consistently present in rising cultures. These include honesty, female modesty and chastity, valuing honor, and strong families.

PouringRain
12-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the forum.

If you seek out conservative values and moral codes, you will certainly find them. I think one thing you need to consider is that as long as you are an atheist, if you attend a church, a mosque, or a temple, there will always be those who seek to make you a believer in God. That is not something you can escape in those religions. If that is not something you want for your family, then you would be better looking for conservative atheist communities.

I could suggest to you some highly conservative churches to try out, but I won't, because this forum has a policy against promoting other religions, and I respect forum rules. You could take the advice of others and try going to your local Islamic center and speaking to someone there about your questions. But as I said..... be it Christian or Islamic community, you will always find individuals who will be concerned about your unbelief in God.

One thing you are asking, that I don't know that anyone here has answered (apologies if I missed the answer)..... you asked if an Islamic community would accept your family and allow you all to participate in community events/ activities, knowing that you all are atheist. Perhaps someone could answer to this more specifically, and could explain what things you may and may not be accepted in participating in. Perhaps also you could be more clear on what exactly you would like to participate in. For example, are you wanting to participate in prayer or are you just wanting to attend services? Are you wanting to participate in things such as community fasting? Islamic education (if available in your area)? Eid celebrations? Etc.?

fschmidt
12-16-2010, 11:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
I think one thing you need to consider is that as long as you are an atheist, if you attend a church, a mosque, or a temple, there will always be those who seek to make you a believer in God. That is not something you can escape in those religions. If that is not something you want for your family, then you would be better looking for conservative atheist communities.
I have no opinion about what my family members should believe, so I have no problem with religious people trying to convert my family. I do have a reservation about people trying to convert me, but not for the usual reasons. Two Christians tried to convert me, with the result that both became atheist. I don't want to convert people to atheism because this usually harms their morality. So that is my only reservation about people trying to convert me.

Perhaps also you could be more clear on what exactly you would like to participate in. For example, are you wanting to participate in prayer or are you just wanting to attend services? Are you wanting to participate in things such as community fasting? Islamic education (if available in your area)? Eid celebrations? Etc.?
My biggest interest is for my kids to meet other kids in the group. The details of how they meet is less important. I am quite willing to attend any kind of service or activity so that my family can meet other people in the group.

fschmidt
01-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I visited my local Islamic Center and met with someone there. I was impressed. Islam is my favorite religion at this point. Of course the Muslim that I spoke to tried to convince me that my atheism is wrong, and I understand why he feels this way given his beliefs. My question now is whether an atheist can be accepted by the Islamic community. I didn't think that the Muslim that I spoke with could answer this because he was preoccupied with trying to change my beliefs. I think the only place that I can find the answer to this question is in the Quran which I plan to study.

I want to comment on the other religions and why they fail. Judaism fails because it is racist. I say this being ethnically Jewish myself. Because my wife isn't Jewish, the local Orthodox rabbi rejected my family and said that there was nothing he could do for us. I find this completely absurd. Christianity wasn't a bad religion in the past, but it has gone rotten. It is ironic that Christianity was a refuge against the decadence of the Roman Empire in its early history, but now Christianity has been fully absorbed by modern liberal decadence (with the possible exception of Anabaptists). Modern Christianity offers no real resistance to modern culture. Whatever is the fashion of the day is simply accepted by modern Christianity. So Christianity seems pointless to me.

BoredAgnostic
01-07-2011, 06:14 PM
I tried posting a link to give the context, but apparently that isn't allowed. So I will copy the context (my relevant posts from the Christian forum) here:

I am an atheist who is disgusted with modern decadent culture. I am looking for a church to join that has good moral values. I also want this for my kids so that they can associate with decent people. I have the following criteria:

1. Must have a church in El Paso, TX where I live.

2. Must be tolerant enough to accept an atheist who only views Christ as an intelligent moral man whose advice is worth following.

3. Must strongly support monogamy and promote marriage.

4. Must have a strict dress code in church. No tattoos, body piercings, or immodest dress.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I thought I would give an update on my search. I have visited 2 Christian churches, Mormon and Sovereign Grace Ministries. These services were 3 hours and 2 hours for a total of 5 hours in church so far. In all that time, I haven't heard a single mention of any moral or ethical issues. The entire focus was on faith in Christ, which of course means nothing to me as an Atheist. I think I could put up with 80% faith and 20% ethics. If I remember the Gospels from reading them a long time ago, Christ did have a lot to say about moral issues, and I generally agree with Christ. Do any churches discuss this kind of thing? So I am disappointed so far. I will visit Greek Orthodox next week.
This is kinda off-topic, but do you mean revealing tattoos? If a person has a tattoo on their arm but wear long sleeves to church is that okay? Also by body piercings do you also include the single piercing on each ear? Do you have an aversion to tats/piercings in general or just in places like Church?

Thucydides1987
01-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Yes words can mean whatever you want them to mean. What I mean is basically consideration for others. A woman who dresses provocatively, for example, is showing a complete lack of consideration for men, selfishly feeding her own ego at men's expense.
Well, you seem like you just need to leave the West then -- although avoid going to East Asia as an alternative, since women there are essentially the same as Western women in behaviour. You joining a religious community won't stop women (in America, I presume?) from dressing provocatively.

fschmidt
01-07-2011, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BoredAgnostic
This is kinda off-topic, but do you mean revealing tattoos? If a person has a tattoo on their arm but wear long sleeves to church is that okay? Also by body piercings do you also include the single piercing on each ear? Do you have an aversion to tats/piercings in general or just in places like Church?
If a person has a tattoo that is always covered in public, that is okay. But displaying a tattoo or ear piercing beyond conservative earrings for women in public is not okay.

There are two related reasons for this. One is simply the modern symbolic meaning behind these things. These things have come to be associated with modern culture which I oppose. As an example the figure of the swastika has meanings in Eastern religions. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the swastika's shape, but it has come to be a symbol associated with Nazism and for that reason it is considered offensive. I dislike modern liberal culture as much as I dislike Nazism, so I oppose tattoos and piercings as symbols of this culture.

The related reason is historical. If you visit a museum and see how people's appearance varied with culture, you can't help but notice that in all classic cultures people respected the human form in its natural state. Only culture in decline or primitive cultures do people try to modify the natural human form. So tattoos and piercings are a sign of a declining culture, and this is no accident because liberalism is destroying western culture.

fschmidt
01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thucydides1987
Well, you seem like you just need to leave the West then -- although avoid going to East Asia as an alternative, since women there are essentially the same as Western women in behaviour. You joining a religious community won't stop women (in America, I presume?) from dressing provocatively.
Where exactly would you suggest I go? The world is increasingly homogeneous, unfortunately. And I have traveled quite a lot.

I actually don't care that much how most people behave. I only care that I can be part of a community that behaves well. So belonging to a conservative religious community would work for me almost anywhere.

Your user name is Thucydides1987. Have you read Thucydides and are you familiar with Athenian culture during the time of Thucydides? This was my favorite in culture in history. The Athenians well understood all the issues that concern me.

Thucydides1987
01-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Your user name is Thucydides1987. Have you read Thucydides and are you familiar with Athenian culture during the time of Thucydides? This was my favorite in culture in history. The Athenians well understood all the issues that concern me.
I have studied him, as well as the functions of Athenian democracy in grad. school. I'm not sure what issue concern you that the Athenians understood, but I know that they certainly were well versed in government, justice, and philosophy. There is a lot that our democracies today can learn from Athens.

Where exactly would you suggest I go? The world is increasingly homogeneous, unfortunately.
I was going to suggest the middle east, but you may not exactly like the standard of living there :p (although you can, i suppose, try the UAE). Anyway, I don't think that getting away from provocative-looking women will solve your problems; I have a feeling that your dissatisfaction is more profound than such a triviality as that of a woman with a short skirt, no?

fschmidt
01-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I have studied him, as well as the functions of Athenian democracy in grad. school. I'm not sure what issue concern you that the Athenians understood, but I know that they certainly were well versed in government, justice, and philosophy. There is a lot that our democracies today can learn from Athens.
Athenians were very concerned about morality. Their highest value was virtue which Plato tried to replace with truth (and eventually succeeded in western culture). Athenian dramas are mostly about issues of morality. I remember Thucydides talking a lot about the moral superiority of Athens.

Athenian women dressed modestly. The rules of conduct for Athenian women were rather similar to that of Islam. Adultery (sex with other men's wives) was severely punished. The idea of women having political power was only discussed as comedy, by Aristophanes in Lysistrata which gives a pretty clear idea of the role of women in Athenian culture.

The connection between morality and the role of women is no accident. Morality and promiscuity are incompatible because when women are free to provoke men, men will compete with each to pursue women and will throw out morality in the process. This is demonstrated repeatedly in history. All rising cultures restrained women, and when these restraints were lost, the culture went into decline.

I was going to suggest the middle east, but you may not exactly like the standard of living there (although you can, i suppose, try the UAE). Anyway, I don't think that getting away from provocative-looking women will solve your problems; I have a feeling that your dissatisfaction is more profound than such a triviality as that of a woman with a short skirt, no?
Yes my dissatisfaction is with modern culture in general including immorality, dishonestly, and superficiality, all of which are connected to women with short skirts. Before considering the middle east, I will need to understand Islam better. But as I said before, just having a decent community in my area is good enough for me, even if general society is worthless.

aadil77
01-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes my dissatisfaction is with modern culture in general including immorality, dishonestly, and superficiality, all of which are connected to women with short skirts. Before considering the middle east, I will need to understand Islam better. But as I said before, just having a decent community in my area is good enough for me, even if general society is worthless.
Actually you will find immorality in the middle east as well. Currently there is no ideal islamic state which is free from evil, closest place maybe afghanistan

Thucydides1987
01-07-2011, 09:35 PM
The connection between morality and the role of women is no accident. Morality and promiscuity are incompatible because when women are free to provoke men, men will compete with each to pursue women and will throw out morality in the process. This is demonstrated repeatedly in history. All rising cultures restrained women, and when these restraints were lost, the culture went into decline.
I slightly understand where you're coming from, but I cannot be sympathetic to the sexism in what you're saying. Even though more women act promiscuously today, consider that not all do (much of this image that you have comes from the media), and that the situation today where women are relatively free in western society is much better that what was happening in, say, the Victorian Era, where they were oppressed and condemned to the "separate spheres", and did not have the same rights as men did.

fschmidt
01-07-2011, 09:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Actually you will find immorality in the middle east as well. Currently there is no ideal islamic state which is free from evil, closest place maybe afghanistan
I have been to 3 Islamic countries; Egypt, Jordan, and Malaysia. Egypt and Jordan seemed dysfunctional. Malaysia seemed fine. I am curious to know what you think is the problem with modern Islamic countries. From what I know of history, Islam was pure and ethical for several generations after Muhammad, but become corrupted as it merged with Persian culture. The time of Abbasid rule sounds much like modern America with wealth and productivity, but growing corruption, decadence, and something like feminism which eventually destroyed this culture. Most of what I know of Islamic history comes from Glubb's "A Short History of the Arab Peoples".

Thucydides1987
01-07-2011, 09:53 PM
men will compete with each to pursue women and will throw out morality in the process.

Men would compete with each other regardless of women's voluntary provocation. Lol, are you advocating arranged marriages, then?

fschmidt
01-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I slightly understand where you're coming from, but I cannot be sympathetic to the sexism in what you're saying. Even though more women act promiscuously today, consider that not all do (much of this image that you have comes from the media), and that the situation today where women are relatively free in western society is much better that what was happening in, say, the Victorian Era, where they were oppressed and condemned to the "separate spheres", and did not have the same rights as men did.
I forgive you for your lack of sympathy because most people are incapable of transcending their culture and your culture is undoubtedly liberalism. I am sexist in the sense that I believe men and women are different. But I don't think that they should be subjected to different laws. The Victorian Era may not have been perfect, but it was better than now. Women generally are less capable of thinking for themselves than men are, and so will behave more homogeneously. Virtually all women in Western culture are promiscuous by historical standards. In all rising cultures, women were expected to be virgins at marriage and very few modern western women meet this requirement.

aadil77
01-07-2011, 10:02 PM
I have been to 3 Islamic countries; Egypt, Jordan, and Malaysia. Egypt and Jordan seemed dysfunctional. Malaysia seemed fine. I am curious to know what you think is the problem with modern Islamic countries. From what I know of history, Islam was pure and ethical for several generations after Muhammad, but become corrupted as it merged with Persian culture.
We believe that when muslims stopped practising islam properly - gave into ideas such as nationalism, secularism, that is what caused the islamic empire to break up, and things just got worst from there. Right now there is no islamic state that rules purely by islamic law, so although you might get some countries enforcing a form of islamic law you will never get the real deal. Theres alot of corruption in most modern muslim countries, you won't want to live there, you won't be guaranteed justice.

fschmidt
01-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Men would compete with each other regardless of women's voluntary provocation. Lol, are you advocating arranged marriages, then?
There is always some competition, but much less in conservative cultures. I support "arranged" marriages in the sense of having someone help to arrange that couples meet, but not in the sense of being forced into marriage. The movie "Arranged" shows how this works for Orthodox Jews and Muslims (and is a great movie).

Ramadhan
01-08-2011, 12:24 AM
I can suggest you two ideal cities where I think you will feel happy: Makkah and Madinah.

Unfortunately, due to your non-muslim status, you won't be allowed to even enter.

fschmidt
01-10-2011, 07:32 AM
My question now is whether an atheist can be accepted by the Islamic community. I think the only place that I can find the answer to this question is in the Quran which I plan to study.
I am reading the Quran now. I just read 3:118 which says:

"O you who have believed, do not take as intimates those other than yourselves, for they will not spare you [any] ruin. They wish you would have hardship. Hatred has already appeared from their mouths, and what their breasts conceal is greater. We have certainly made clear to you the signs, if you will use reason."

So I guess this settles it, an atheist cannot be accept by the Islamic community. Am I understanding this correctly?

*charisma*
01-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi fschmidt!

I want to commend you on your desire to raise your children in a better environment and to allow them to be open towards other paths of faith.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are they?

I read through the thread, and I don't think you should have a problem finding muslim friends for your kids or raising them in an Islamic environment if those are your intentions. I personally have an atheist friend who I enjoy discussing religion and sharing theories and ideas with, it's really enlightening and she considers me a good friend. I've never felt compelled to become atheist nor have I ever tried to convince her to become a Muslim, but I do enjoy speaking about Islam to her, and she really respects me and my religion and has supported me on many occassions. Now I'm not saying all atheist and Muslim relationships are going to be as similar as ours, however this is not something impossible or difficult either.

To answer your concerns in your first post, Muslims should show respect and kindness to those of any background and faith. Usually a mosque has sermons on Fridays which anyone is free to attend, and through out the week there are prayers and perhaps evening classes and events depending on the mosque itself. The sermons range from various Islamic teachings and topics. The men and women are generally segregated. Both the men and woman should be dressed modestly (women cover their heads and cover their bodies with nonconforming attire according to the islamic dresscode, and men can wear anything as long as it also follows the Islamic dress code). If you go to a local mosque, you may want to ask some of the brothers there a little bit about the classes they provide, maybe activities or events that they have in which you and your family may be interested in participating in.

Concerning the topic of monogamy, Islam does not condemn polygamy however it's not strongly advocated either, but marriage is. We consider marriage to be very important and a beautiful aspect of life and combined with the obligation of chasteness, it allows us to keep our priorities in line and when we feel we are getting close to where we think we are prepared for marriage, we have a better insight on the responsibilities and committments that are expected of us as spouses.

I am reading the Quran now. I just read 3:118 which says:

"O you who have believed, do not take as intimates those other than yourselves, for they will not spare you [any] ruin. They wish you would have hardship. Hatred has already appeared from their mouths, and what their breasts conceal is greater. We have certainly made clear to you the signs, if you will use reason."

So I guess this settles it, an atheist cannot be accept by the Islamic community. Am I understanding this correctly?
Islamically we're not allowed to get too close with a nonMuslim because they may influence us due to a close emotional bond, and in result we may stray away from our religious obligations. So the meaning of that ayah is basically that we shouldn't get too close to those who condemn and reject our religion lest they have intentions to change or harm us. However, we are encouraged to spread Islam and teach others about our religion and create bonds in that respect where we can benefit others positively and at least warm their hearts through our kindness, and love and devotion to our religion.

Amat Allah
01-10-2011, 12:51 PM
In The Name Of Allah The Most Compassionate The Most Merciful

Peace be with you May respected and noble brother fschmidt:

what I have learnt from Islam is to respect others and deal with them kindly and justly... and if you would be our neighbor my respected brother then I swear by the Lord of heavens and earth that I won`t treat you but according to what Allah taught me through His noble Book (Qur`aan) and His Messenger Muhammad Bin Abdillah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him); with kindness respect and justice... Allah never taught us to hate others but the wrong things that others do and say and taught us to not harm others for their mistakes but to advice them respectfully and never wait from them to accept our advices...

we are not allowed to deal with people unjustly and be aggressive , we are allowed to fight others but in combat to defend our selves religion homes families and nation to defend the rights of others and if you will read and understand Islam right you will realize this high meaning...Allah didn`t create us to hate each other harm each other or to kill each other...

Allah says:"Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you but do not transgress. Indeed. Allah does not like transgressors. (190)" 1:2:190.

Allah says:"O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted. (13)" 26:49:13

and Allah says:"And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me. (56)" chapter 27:Sura 51: verse 56 this is the purpose of creating us the Most pure purpose ever to be Allah`s slaves and when that happens; Happiness peace comfort and satisfaction will fill the hearts and will be humble pleased and free from all the pleasures of this life...

and the verse which you have mentioned above was talking about the ruling in taking enemies as allies, and Allah pervented us from this to not tip off the secrets of the Muslims Muslim country and govrnment to enemies and I think logically everyone knows why...

what have you done to be hated? for being an athiest? let me tell you my respected brother that this matter is between you and your Lord and He Is the One Who will judge you when you stand before Him in the Day of Judgement not us the slaves and servants of Allah...what is in our hands is to teach you about the truth and the real purpose of this life to advice you and show you the way to love for you and all creation of Allah all goodness and real happiness, not to hate you and treat you badly and as I said before in another place; how would love fills a heart when hatred is taking its place...

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and his companions( May Allah be pleased with them) had lived with their neighbors of different faiths so peacefully and treated them in the best of manners with kindness respect and generosity and I won`t change this now by any mean...

you are my brother and all males and females in this world are my brothers and sisters and will treat you upon this no matter who you are and where you are till the last breath of mine and no matter what...

and Allah knows the best...

May Allah lead your way to the path of the endless happiness no matter who you are Ameeeeeen

with all my respect, your sister:

Amat Allah

fschmidt
01-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks everyone, I will continue reading the Quran and see what else I find.

My kids are 12 and 14.

I am reluctant to go to the sermon at the mosque because I wasn't invited. I called the Islamic Center and said I was interested in Islam and I (with my wife) was invited to talk to someone there, but he just gave me the Quran and some literature and didn't invite anything more. I will call back after I finish the Quran and see if they think it makes sense for me to visit the sermon.

Islam and Mormonism are the options that I am currently considering. I will keep investigating.

aadil77
01-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks everyone, I will continue reading the Quran and see what else I find.

My kids are 12 and 14.

I am reluctant to go to the sermon at the mosque because I wasn't invited. I called the Islamic Center and said I was interested in Islam and I (with my wife) was invited to talk to someone there, but he just gave me the Quran and some literature and didn't invite anything more. I will call back after I finish the Quran and see if they think it makes sense for me to visit the sermon.

Islam and Mormonism are the options that I am currently considering. I will keep investigating.
Hmm, well do go along to any sermons they may have, don't be put off by anyone

Other than sermons, usually mosques have weekly gatherings after evening prayers where the imam will talk about the prophet's biography - its referred to as 'seerah'. They can be very beneficial even if you have no interest in islam, ask around about them.

Amat Allah
01-12-2011, 03:52 AM
you are very wellcome my respected brother, May Allah preserve you children and protect them from all harms Aameen

you need no invitation from anyone to be in Allah`s house, the mosque is for everyone and its door is always opened for all Allah`s creature from Jinn and Mankind, go to any Masjid you want and there sit with others normaly and listen and May Allah comfort your heart and fill it with peace and gives you the good of this life and of the hereafter Aameen

here you are these are two e mails for a good shaikh, his name is Mutahhir:

mutahhir@aol.com

mutahhir@99islam.com

try to send him your Questions on both e mails in shaa Allah...

and this is a moderated Muslim chat giving live lectures and there; you can contact directly with the scholars in shaa Allah and ask them about anything you want:

www.chatislam.com

May Allah open for you the doors of real happiness and success Aameen

- Qatada -
01-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi fschmidt :)

I would strongly recommend you read a biography of Prophet Muhammad to understand the Qur'an alot better. I would recommend you read;

Martin Lings, Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources

http://kitaabun.com/shopping3/produc...roducts_id=280

You will understand how the Quran is based on the events of the life of Prophet Muhammad, and how that relates to the different episodes of history the Muslims go through as time progresses.

So understanding the biography of Prophet Muhammad is equally as important as studying the Qur'an itself.

also, please see this link for a brief biography on his life online;
http://www.islamreligion.com/category/82/

Peace.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!