/* */

PDA

View Full Version : !שלום

kendali72
12-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Shalom,

My Hebrew name is דוד (David) and I am a convert to Judaism. I joined ummah.com and posted a long intro there, and received a fairly warm welcome. But I was told that I would be better off posting over here. I'm mostly looking for respectful, thoughtful, and informed discussions about our differing faiths; in particular how much they have in common.

L'Shalom,
D.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dagless
12-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Welcome David, I hope you like it here and I look forward to reading some of your discussions.

Abdul-Raouf
12-16-2010, 02:56 AM
Welcome David....

So what was your previous faith and how you got attracted to judaism.....?

My Avatar and Siggy...your comments on their content?

S.Belle
12-16-2010, 03:10 AM
welcome to IB hope you enjoy it here

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
kendali72
12-16-2010, 05:07 AM
Thank you for the welcomes Dagless, Abdul-Raouf, and Mila. To Abdul-Raouf:

So what was your previous faith and how you got attracted to judaism.....?
The only religious organization I became a member of was a Unitarian Universalist church. I liked the historical emphasis on monotheism, no Trinity, and on the non-deity of Jesus. Truth be told, the UU (Unitarian Universalist) are far from their Christian origins. A significant portion of the membership is now either atheistic, humanistic, Wiccan, or some other belief system far, far removed from Christianity.

My attraction to Judaism is complicated but, suffice it to say, that it is an Abrahamic faith with which my wife and I can be true to our monotheistic beliefs. Is Judaism right for everyone? No. Nor does it need to be. Although people convert, Judaism itself does not have a long history of proselytizing like Islam and Christianity.

My Avatar and Siggy...your comments on their content?
They're provocative in their caricatural nature - which is the point of all propaganda. If you're soliciting my general opinion on all-things Eretz Yisrael then I can't give you one.

However, if you would like my opinion on specific incidents then I will give you my opinion. And my opinion will be as well-informed as possible dependent upon my access to reliable and trustworthy resources.

Rafeeq
12-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Welcome to the forum...

PouringRain
12-16-2010, 05:34 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Welcome to the forum David

May you enjoy your stay here and learn about Islaam in a peaceful manner

peace

kendali72
12-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Thank you Rafeeq, PouringRain, and Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм! Cool use of a font, PoW.

سيف الله
12-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Salaam

Oh nice. Finally an unusual guest. Welcome aboard :)

kendali72
12-16-2010, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Junon
Salaam

Oh nice. Finally an unusual guest. Welcome aboard :)
I'm not that unusual. :embarrass :D

aadil77
12-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Welcome aboard, I think comparitive religion will be your favourite section

Woodrow
12-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the forum Kendall. I know you mentioned you are interested in the similarities between out beliefs. In simplist terms we actually do have much in common. Particulary in things like dietary laws and a strong belief in one God(swt)

I am more interested in linguistics and I see Hebrew, Aramaic, Phoenician and Arabic as being dialects of a single language.

Hugo
12-16-2010, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Welcome to the forum Kendall. I know you mentioned you are interested in the similarities between out beliefs. In simplist terms we actually do have much in common. Particulary in things like dietary laws and a strong belief in one God(swt). I am more interested in linguistics and I see Hebrew, Aramaic, Phoenician and Arabic as being dialects of a single language.
Its probably going too far to say they are 'dialects' but the Phoenician's (maybe as long as 7000 years ago) were the first to get the idea of an alphabet meaning symbols representing sounds (before that they tried to write down the meaning rather than the sound so you end up with hundreds of symbols) and various languages then borrowed these symbols - so for example, Hebrew and Aramaic look exactly the same when written down, indeed there are a few passages in the OT where the words move smoothly from Hebrew into Aramaic and back again. Anyway, this might be an interesting line so looking forward to what people have to say.

Darth Ultor
12-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Welcome aboard.

Ramadhan
12-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Welcome!
I hope you find what you're looking for

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!