/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How does it make u feel?

muslimsister1
12-16-2010, 09:34 AM
:sl:

Hope your all in good health by the grace of Almighty Allah SWT... i dont know what you all wil think to this... i live in the UK.. christmas is jst round the corner... n i get a warm feeling and feel all festive when its christmas time... obviously i dont celebrate christmas but i get a warm feeling... it mind sound stupid i knw but jst cant help it.. is der any1else who feels like this? is it wrong to feel this as a muslim?

Look forward to your replies.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd Al-Maajid
12-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Here Christmas means Party time, late night parties. I feel sad even pagans celebrate this, funny innit?

Keep two thing in mind, sister.
1. The birthday of The Christ is unknown.
And even if it is on the 25th of December,
2. It is not permissible in Islam to celebrate anniversaries, may it be, death, birth, wedding et cetera.

Thank you, hope it makes sense...:hmm:

Rafeeq
12-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Since, you are living with people around you who are celebrating, you are feeling warm. It is just psychological affact. Non-muslims living in muslims states are also celebrating Eids or feeling the same you are feeling. But still they remain stick to their religion. I have personal experience with such people.

nature
12-16-2010, 09:48 AM

I kinda know what you mean, although tbh i only look forward to the time we get off at christmas :D I think its everything associated with it, as in snow, trashy telly, the fact that most christians unite for the day,but eids a bit like that 2 right ? jus minus the snow!

I dont celebrate it either, but i can see how the excitement builds up over the year.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nature
12-16-2010, 09:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid
Here Christmas means Party time, late night parties. I feel sad even pagans celebrate this, funny innit?
being the only hijabi in the office, this is what i usually say to the other ladies i work with. their idea of christmas, is stuffing their bellies, being nyc to family for a bit, & then getting drunk at the pub. Some people dont even go to church ? & i thought as a christian that was a must, if they dont even bother saying a blessing when they sit down for the meal, then whats the point ?

elina
12-16-2010, 10:38 AM
i grew up with christmas being 'the done thing' and my family and everyone i knew celebrated it, but just as a good holiday with no religious aspect to it at all..... i dont know anyone except an elderly relative that goes to church at christmas time. I found christmas boring as a child and always questioned how did we know when Jesus was born? then after having kids of my own i began to enjoy it and look forward to it ... but only the Santa bit of it all :) As my kids got older i stopped celebrating christmas and my family and friends despair that i dont do it..... they call me everything from a grouch to a skinflint to a party pooper and look at me in shock horror every year when i say im not celebrating. This year the only thing Im going to be doing that is 'christmassy' is making a traditional dinner as my husband has never had one :)

Amoeba
12-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Christmas, from what I've seen, doesn't even seem to be a religious thing any more. My whole family celebrate it and they don't have a religion at all, in fact they consider Christianity more unbelievable than Islam (I do realise that even some Christians don't celebrate Christmas or acknowledge it, but it still seems to be associated with Christianity). Yet they still get all festive and as you say warm and fuzzy inside. My mum loves it. Alhamdulilah they understand this year that I don't want to participate and they're okay with it, but on previous years they'd get really stressed out at my disinterest in Christmans for some odd reason.

Ramadhan
12-16-2010, 01:39 PM
I think it's natural that you are feeling that way, especially since you live in a country that is big on christmas, especially the commercial side of it.
Christmas is a pagan holiday, and just like any pagan holiday, it is designed to appeal to human emotions and play around with it. We are only human, but you need to resist how it plays on your emotion by remembering hard cold facts about christmas.

Remember that christmas itself is an invention based on roman and nordic pagan holidays. It wasn't even until the 6th century when a monk decided that jesus pbuh was born on the 25th.
Even bible itself is against tree decoration (which is now a huge part of christmas):
"The customs of the people are worthless, they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel, they adore it with silver and gold, they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter" (Jeremiah 10-3,4).

Perseveranze
12-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

"The Messenger (Muhammad

) believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and (so do) the believers. Each one believes in Allâh, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. They say, "We make no distinction between one another of His Messengers" - and they say, "We hear, and we obey. (We seek) Your Forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the return (of all).
" - (Quran 2:285)

In theory if we celebrated the Prophet's(pbut) birthdays (and according to Hadith there have been 124,000 Prophets(pbut)), we could be doing it every day...

In my honest opinion, when I see the type of people that celebrate Christmas, it gives me the feel that it's become more of a cultural thing rather than a religious one.

S.Belle
12-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Yes i get the feeling as well I grew up Christian so whenever Thanksgiving or Christmas comes around the feeling emerges.
Its somewhat impossible not to feel in the festive mood (now im not saying go out and buy a tree and decorate it lol or even participate) but its on tv, when you go to the store,...its really almost everywhere. Just sit back and watch and thank God you dont have to do all that nonsense shopping.

aadil77
12-16-2010, 10:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimsister1

Hope your all in good health by the grace of Almighty Allah SWT... i dont know what you all wil think to this... i live in the UK.. christmas is jst round the corner... n i get a warm feeling and feel all festive when its christmas time... obviously i dont celebrate christmas but i get a warm feeling... it mind sound stupid i knw but jst cant help it.. is der any1else who feels like this? is it wrong to feel this as a muslim?

lol I get that feeling too...

its just the christmas hype that the media like to big up: coca cola, presents, holidays, dinner at home with family, snow outside (white christmas) etc

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-16-2010, 11:04 PM
I also used to have the same feeling, in particular the christmas lights only interested me and living here in my area there have been a number of snowless Christmas`s.

There were times you would recieve gifts and the shopping centres would be open late, so i guess there would be a different feeling involved. Although, as brother Rafeeq said some Christians may feel the same way when Eid is on its way or is here.
I remember someone who is a christian telling me she feels at peace when Ramadhaan is here.

peace

Pygoscelis
12-17-2010, 12:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimsister1

It isn't just you, as a Muslim, I feel the same way, as an atheist. Just because we're not Christians doesn't mean we can't enjoy the winter holiday season. If it helps any, the holiday is actually not even Christian originally. It was borrowed from pagans. Jesus wasn't really born on the 24th or 25th of December. Christmas trees, gingerbread men, and the yule log (and of course Santa) are all old customs that have nothing to do with Christianity.

So enjoy Christmas, the winter soltice, the holidays, Saturnalia, or whatever you want to call it :) I'm making gingerbread as I write this.

Woodrow
12-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Christmas as it exists today is fairly new. The first Christmas card was printed in 1843. The first Christmas carol(The First Noel) was sung in 1833. The first Christmas tree is unknown but it seem the origin was in Latvia in the late 1400's but did not become popular in Europe or the Americas until the 1800s.

Up until the mid 1800's Christmas was a very somber religious holiday for Christians and was usually a day spent in prayer and fasting, not the festivities of the secular world as it is today. What is now known as Christmas is not a religious festivity and is probably celebrated by more Non-Christians world wide than it is by Christians. But as a secular day of festivity and not as a religious holiday.

جوري
12-17-2010, 01:51 AM
I genuinely feel nothing and the sad part is I have lost that feeling toward Eid too, Ramadan used to be like that pretty much before I joined LI, then I got the al7mdlillah I got part of old feeling back I forced myself to come in daily and post in Ramadanyat just to get a sense of community and the holy days.. I don't know perhaps it is growing old or maybe I need some sort of religious reawakening.. but I get positively no feelings toward any celebration anymore -- some down right annoy me like valentines day.. I think perhaps the one that is slightly amusing is Halloween.. I like autumn colors with a little chill and a little creepiness..

I am sad for all those entranced by the phony lights and glitter but I am sadder for me still because I feel nothing at all..ugh..

:w:

Abdul-Raouf
12-17-2010, 03:09 AM
When i was a kid..even Diwali used to be very joyful.... (My state produces the most Fire Crackers in India).. we get many hi-fi crackers for cheap price...it was a kinda proud feeling to burst many crackers.

Things changed.. Realised why it is celebrated... now Its just another Holiday.. Now i feel..why people are burning money(bursting crackers - they are really costly now).

akulion
12-21-2010, 03:11 AM
Salam Alaikum,

Interesting topic - it is not unusual to feel certain feelings when you are surrounded by things which would influence your moods, such as:

- festive decorations
- festive quotes 'its the season to be jolly'
- people being more friendly and nicer than usual
- festive catchy tunes playing
- everyone talking about family and friends
- movies on tv with emotionally charged stories of kindness etc

All these factors will surely effect your mood and the way you will feel. You may even find yourself humming a Christmas tune, but dont be surprised since its not the "spirit" entering you as someone tried to tell me - but rather its just the effect of your surroundings.

Just watch and enjoy the lights and celebrate Eid when it comes around :)

Bro Akbar

Cabdullahi
12-22-2010, 08:06 PM
i feel bored in christmas...i could choke santa....ops i mean satan

this is the season to be jolly balalalala lala lala!

big corporations love christmas because they can get you to spend lots of money....money you dont have

SafaAuditore
12-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Im just like you! I LOVE the christmas times, like the decorations and the shows and stuff they're all great! <3

M.I.A.
12-22-2010, 08:39 PM
this year i have been asked more times than ever if i celebrate christmas, i just say sort of, its a time when the family has a chance to spend some time together.

Grofica
12-22-2010, 09:28 PM
i just like all the chocolate candy... but then again i love everything that involves candy :-)

nature
12-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Ive found a lot of muslims actually celebrate christmas now. I overheard a hijabi telling a colleague.." i dont celebrate christmas, but really i should, its the birth of jesus ? "

Why dont muslims put in as much enthusiasm into eid as they do into other celebrations ?

Grofica
12-29-2010, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nature
Ive found a lot of muslims actually celebrate christmas now. I overheard a hijabi telling a colleague.." i dont celebrate christmas, but really i should, its the birth of jesus ? "

Why dont muslims put in as much enthusiasm into eid as they do into other celebrations ?
\

First Christmas is not the birth of Jesus (PBUH). Jesus was born sometime in the spring according to the few records they have found during the time. Jesus (PBUH) was born in a stable and all the sheep were out in the fields which is why there was room in the stable. Farmers did not let their livestock out in winter.

Christmas was instituted by the catholic church to mask over the winter solstice and make it easier for people to accept it. and the reason the Christmas tree is used is because back in those days when there was not much food and people were starving the pine tree was the only thing alive. so they brought it inside the house hoping its magic powers would keep them alive too so when Christmas came around they adopted that "tradition"

there is a lot of info on the web with more substantiated references but i am working off the top of my head. I am not making light of the holiday i am all for good cheer and spending time with family but i will not worship a tree and make it my god to do so. Most people dont even know what they are celebrating. but the traditions are older the catholicism they are all druid in origin... even valentines day, easter, i have a whole bunch of facts that i could tell you about each one.

nature
12-29-2010, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
First Christmas is not the birth of Jesus (PBUH).

I know its not. It was another sister that was talking to another non muslim in the office about it. I gave her a look, and thought to myself..i give up ? I was just a little shocked a muslim saying that 2 a non muslim.

Grofica
12-29-2010, 07:52 PM
ohhhhhhh now i get it... yeah.... i dont know what to say to that one!

i guess the only thing i can say is most people dont know what they are celebrating... :-(

nature
12-29-2010, 07:57 PM
ohhhhhhh now i get it... yeah.... i dont know what to say to that one! i guess the only thing i can say is most people dont know what they are celebrating... :-(

LOL! neither did I. I think some muslims feel like they have to go out of their way to fit in maybe ?

Sawdah
12-29-2010, 09:16 PM
SubhanAllah, I have Muslim friends who celebrate it amongst themselves and it's a very sad thing to see. I asked them why they do it and they said that they feel jealous that our Non-Muslim friends get gifts and they don't. To me, that made absolute no sense because we have 2 eids alhamdulillah, so there was no point of being jealous.

I think the reason that we're starting to see Muslims celebrate Christmas is because Christmas has become one of those holidays that is no longer identified for 'Just Christians' to celebrate (like Halloween). But even if Christmas has become that, that doesn't mean we can celebrate it (same goes for Halloween) because no matter what, Christmas was never part of Islam.

Why dont muslims put in as much enthusiasm into Eid as they do into other celebrations ?
Like what other celebrations (besides the ones I've mentioned), sister? imsad

nature
12-30-2010, 08:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SeekerofJannah
Christmas was never part of Islam.
I actually got wished "merry christmas" by a family member, i replied simply to her, muslims dont celebrate its pagen in origin, b4 i got a reply of "its 2 early for your lecture". LOL! at least i tried i guess.

format_quote Originally Posted by SeekerofJannah
Like what other celebrations (besides the ones I've mentioned), sister?
Wat i ment was there seems to be no excitement/eagerness for eid ramadan, yet muslims are more focused on other celebrations be they christian/pagan/hindu etc.

Sawdah
12-30-2010, 06:16 PM

I actually got wished "merry christmas" by a family member, i replied simply to her, muslims dont celebrate its pagen in origin, b4 i got a reply of "its 2 early for your lecture". LOL! at least i tried i guess.
lol, may Allah (SWT) reward you for your efforts. :)

Wat i ment was there seems to be no excitement/eagerness for eid ramadan, yet muslims are more focused on other celebrations be they christian/pagan/hindu etc.

Well here, some of us do the same thing for each Eid and perhaps it's starting to grow old for some. For example, after Salat ul-Eid, most of the Muslim youth end up watching a movie at the movie theater. So, that could be one reason for why Muslims aren't so excited for Eid.

Another reason could be that maybe we're surrounded by non-Muslims so much that we get excited just as much as they are... :hmm:

WAllahu Alem.

M.I.A.
01-01-2011, 01:36 AM
at what point did the birth date of jesus AS become mixed up?

im just saying that although the celebration of birthdays are innovation, that very innovation could have removed the path for much worse innovation.

although all innovation is bad.

guess things take a natural progression beyond our control.

IAmZamzam
01-01-2011, 01:58 AM
The date of birth was never in the Gospels or anything, M.I.A., that's the problem. It was supposed to have happened "while the shepherds were keeping watch over their flock by night" but there were many different points in the calendar when they might have been doing that. The Koran makes it a little bit clearer: it says he was born at a time when the dates on Palestinian date trees are ripe, which places it probably somewhere around late September or early October. I should mention, though, that I got this factoid from the tafsir notes of Rashad Khalifa, who as we all know is not the most reliable source in the world, but I imagine he was probably right about a simple scientific factoid like that--you might want to double check. I once heard that some group of Christians had supposedly calculated the date to being on or around September 27th, I think, so it fits.

Aishath
01-01-2011, 02:15 AM
Ugh someone just went past my bedroom window out on the road singing a christmas song (a bit too late for that perhaps?) and now I can't seem to get it out of my head!!! Aargh! It's annoying me a lot :( lol!

Jibrael
01-01-2011, 02:20 AM
السلام عليكم

Christmas and the "holiday season" is indeed a big fitnah not only for Muslims living in the West, but now throughout the world, with the exception of Saudi Arabia and a few other more religious societies. I have seen the majority of Muslims where I live taking part in the "holiday season" to some extent, whether it be wishing people "merry christmas", "happy new year", or even going further by decorating their homes with lights and christmas decoration, etc.

All of this, of course, is forbidden in our Religion. Due to the weakness of the Muslims, a result of their being involved in sins and chasing after the world and being involved in polytheism and innovations, the Muslims are unable to avoid the temptation of the "Holiday Season" and participate in its evil.

The Muslims who strive to cling to the Sunnah and avoid innovation, however, should be congratulated for not being swept away by the irreligious habits of the masses and the mainstream. They are the "Ghurabaa" (Strangers) who receive the glad tidings of the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم of Jannah, for rectifying themselves and reviving the Sunnah when the rest of the people have become corrupted.

Islaam has only two festivals, Eed ul Fitr and Eed ul Adhaa. The Sunnah of these festivals is to merely be happy on those days, offer the Eed prayers in the morning, perhaps eat a good meal and enjoy sweets. Nothing to fancy and nothing to extravagant.

Unfortunately, we see many Muslims trying to emulate the Christians and turn our religious festivals into something which resembles the extravagent festivals of the disbelievers, such as Christmas, Diwali, and Hanukkah.

They try to commercialize and materialize our religious holidays, and rob them of their spiritual significance.

جوري
01-01-2011, 02:40 AM
First Christmas is not the birth of Jesus (PBUH). Jesus was born sometime in the spring according to the few records they have found during

Actually Jesus (p) was born in early fall:
وَهُزِّي إِلَيْكِ بِجِذْعِ النَّخْلَةِ تُسَاقِطْ عَلَيْكِ رُطَبًا جَنِيًّا {25}
[Pickthal 19:25] And shake the trunk of the palm-tree toward thee, thou wilt cause ripe dates to fall upon thee.
فَكُلِي وَاشْرَبِي وَقَرِّي عَيْنًا فَإِمَّا تَرَيِنَّ مِنَ الْبَشَرِ أَحَدًا فَقُولِي إِنِّي نَذَرْتُ لِلرَّحْمَنِ صَوْمًا فَلَنْ أُكَلِّمَ الْيَوْمَ إِنسِيًّا {26}
[Pickthal 19:26] So eat and drink and be consoled. And if thou meetest any mortal, say: Lo! I have vowed a fast unto the Beneficent, and may not speak this day to any mortal.

Dates grow in that part of the world around early fall!

and Allah swt knows best

جوري
01-01-2011, 02:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
The date of birth was never in the Gospels or anything, M.I.A., that's the problem. It was supposed to have happened "while the shepherds were keeping watch over their flock by night" but there were many different points in the calendar when they might have been doing that. The Koran makes it a little bit clearer: it says he was born at a time when the dates on Palestinian date trees are ripe, which places it probably somewhere around late September or early October. I should mention, though, that I got this factoid from the tafsir notes of Rashad Khalifa, who as we all know is not the most reliable source in the world, but I imagine he was probably right about a simple scientific factoid like that--you might want to double check. I once heard that some group of Christians had supposedly calculated the date to being on or around September 27th, I think, so it fits.
well you beat me to it.. thanks!

Woodrow
01-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Well if any of you live in an area populated with Eastern Orthodox Christians prepare for round 2. The Eastern Orthodox Christians don't celebrate Christmas until January 7.

Perseveranze
01-01-2011, 09:08 PM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

In Muslim countries EID is celebrated with alot of excitement/eagerness, people are all out on the streets celebrating etc.

IAmZamzam
01-02-2011, 04:45 PM
There's nothing wrong with wishing someone a happy new year.

nature
01-04-2011, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Asalaamu Alaikum, In Muslim countries EID is celebrated with alot of excitement/eagerness, people are all out on the streets celebrating etc.

Such as ? by people on the streets you mean young chavs, playing their music loud, creating noise pollution & the sisters caked up, & half dressed like there on bollywood ? LOL! thats what the muslim youth today thinks eid is ? Thats the way eid is where i am in the UK. I dont think thats true representation of what eid means. Maybe its different in countries like saudi ?

M.I.A.
01-05-2011, 01:36 PM

Such as ? by people on the streets you mean young chavs, playing their music loud, creating noise pollution & the sisters caked up, & half dressed like there on bollywood ? LOL! thats what the muslim youth today thinks eid is ? Thats the way eid is where i am in the UK. I dont think thats true representation of what eid means. Maybe its different in countries like saudi ?
you misunderstand your situation,
the muslim youth can go around playing music and the sisters can go around dolled up without being blown to bits or manhandled by the "constabulary"
they will have prayed in any one of the hundreds of mosques situated on every second street corner in your city.
the fact that you can tell they have there whole lives to mellow, learn deen and follow islam is a blessing.
if you dont mind em dying as "kaffir" today, then look at other places in the world.

sure you know the questions, did they pray? etc etc
you do not know the outcome or the forgivness or the wrath of god.

freedom for the muslim, the uk.
what it means to be a muslim, just you.

glo
01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rafeeq
Since, you are living with people around you who are celebrating, you are feeling warm. It is just psychological affact. Non-muslims living in muslims states are also celebrating Eids or feeling the same you are feeling. But still they remain stick to their religion. I have personal experience with such people.
I totally agree.
Since I became a member here in LI I am affected by the excitement and joy which Ramadan brings for my Muslim friends here, and I share in their happiness every time!
Although I am not a Muslim myself, I have found Ramadan to be another opportunity (together with the celebration of my own faith) to draw closer to God and to seek his will.

It is about sharing a part of that journey (to whichever extend I feel is right) with my Muslim friends and neighbours.
So I am not surprised that some Muslims might also catch a sense of the beauty and importance and value which Christmas has for their Christian friends and neighbours. (Which of course does not mean Muslims have to agree or participate in the actual religious celebration!)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!