/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Lucid dreams?

Amoeba
12-16-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm curious if there's any ruling or mention on lucid dreams. I know that in regular dreams we aren't held accountable for our own actions, but what about a lucid dream? Also, is it permissible to consciously continue a lucid dream? I read about hearing that lucid dreaming is impermissible but it wasn't based off of any sound evidence from what I could gather, if it's true, does anybody have the evidence?

I know I've asked something similar before, but it was for dreams in general, not lucid dreams.

Most people I've asked claim to have had one at least once so I'm assuming it's very common, and some poeple have them regularly, and most can agree it's not really the same thing as a regular dream.

Lucid dreaming is simply where you're in a dream and suddenly you become aware that you are dreaming and conscious of your own actions. An additional effect may be the ability to consciously control what happens in the dream, though not everyone chooses to or can do this. It can happen by accident, or some poeple train themselves to do it.

My question is aimed more towards the accidental lucid dream. A common way people realise they're dreaming is if they find something in the dream that indicated to them they're in a dream. For example, something that seems to happen to a lot of poeple who lucid dream is that they try to turn on a light switch and it either doesn't come on, or it comes on but doesn't illuminate the room. Then they think "oh I must be in a dream".

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
12-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Salam

The pen is lifted from the one who is asleep so I presume lucid dreaming is covered in that.

Anyway, if you feel that you have absolute control and that you are conscious, just don't do anything haram.

I read about hearing that lucid dreaming is impermissible but it wasn't based off of any sound evidence from what I could gather, if it's true, does anybody have the evidence?
This is probably referring to people who actively try to go into a lucid state. I mean those who go learn how it's done and take steps to achieve it.

Amoeba
12-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks, your answer makes sense.

I remember reading a website called Islam Q&A in response to being aware that you're dreaming, and it listed how it's completely impossible to know you are dreaming. I don't know if I'm allowed to link to it, but it could easily be found in a google search. I'm not sure if the evidence they used is genuine but I found it a little unsettling because if it is genuine, and that is the correct interpretation of the evidence, then what does that make a lucid dream?

elina
12-16-2010, 12:45 PM
hi amoeba, i dont know the answer to your question but i do have lucid dreams. the trigger (or reality check) you mentioned about lights not coming on is what i get when i go into one....a friend of mine gets a trigger of only wearing one shoe and not knowing where the other one is. It is supposed to be impossible to know you are dreaming but from experience i know its not. I joined a forum specifically about this to try to get help how to stop them as it is a terrifying experience, and i now am able to wake myself up from them.

hi bedouin, there were lots of people on the forum i mentioned who wanted to learn how to achieve lucid dreaming...for the life of me i dont understand them :(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
12-16-2010, 01:47 PM
MOST dreams are so simple they are complex. People actually only remember a small percentage of their dreams. When we remember a dream we are actually only remembering the last few seconds of it. The dream it self is almost instant. It is our becoming aware of the dream that gives it a sense of time and order. There is no control over a dream what seems like control of the dream is after the dream and we are leaving the state of REM sleep and entering a semi-awake state. Our mind is trying to make order out of a massive influx of information and we become semi-aware of trying to put our memory into a logical order and time frame.

Nearly all dreams
are no more then information sorting. What is taking place in a dream is our brain is in the process of placing all input and sensory stimulation into either permanent memory or deleting all of the temporary input, such as the normal sensations of everything we physically felt or saw, that are common and recurring. If we begin waking up during this stage our semi-concious awareness tries to make a logical story out of the input. A lucid dream is not actually a dream,it is our attempt to make sense out of the instant memory consolidation we have become aware of experiencing.

Everybody has dreams every time they sleep, even those who have no memory ofever dreaming. If it were not for dreams we would be very much overwhelmed with just the physical memories of every speck of dust that touches us. If it were not for this memory compression and selective sorting every neuron in our CNS would be in a constant state of activity. We would literally burn out in just a matter of days

Woodrow
12-17-2010, 11:57 AM
My apology it appears I managed to close the thread in error. I intended to close another thread and had 2 tabs open. Looks like I closed thewrong one. Thread is now reopened

Amoeba
12-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for re-opening the thread.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!