/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Halal names

Amoeba
12-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Asalam alaykum, can anybody here provide certain criteria for having a good name? I was checking the Islam Q&A website and a few things in it made me try to search up for a second opinion on certain criteria it provides because evidence was not provided. However all the search terms I tried on various search engines came up with results that had absolutely nothing to do with how to know if your name is permissible or not.

I ask because the meaning for my name is largely unknown (various sources try to suggest the meaning, each one suggesting something different, but nothing certain. I do know however that I was named after a pop song... real tacky I know *shudder*). I also would like to know if second names count too?

Also, my mum and dad never married, and my dad wasn't an influence in my life. What name is permissible for me to inherit? My mum's or my dad's? Or my step dad's? Neither of them were or are muslim, does that matter?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
12-17-2010, 03:14 PM
:sl:

Just to address part of your question. It would be impossible to write out all of the Halal names. Far easier to state what would be a haram name.

1. A name that is obviously anti-Islamic such as Shaytan, Iblis,

2. A name that has close connections with a religion other than Islam such as Buddah

3. Using a name associated with an evil person such as Hitler

4. A nonsensical fabricated name such as Mxtplx

5. Using one of the Names of Allaah(swt) as a personal name as that would be blasphemous because we are not Allaah(swt)

6. Using a word of profanity as a name. (I wont give an example here)

While it is preferred we choose an Arabic name, that is not required. as long as the name is not haram, it is permitted.

nature
12-17-2010, 03:20 PM
:sl:

What about bismillah being used as name ?? I know a girl by this name, but she also has another as well as.

:wa:

Amoeba
12-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks for your response. I'm having a hard time finding the actual proofs, though.

I'm really wanting to find out if my name is permissible or not, not looking for a list of halal names. Since the meaning varies depending on which source you ask... some say it's something seemingly halal, others say it doesn't have a meaning since it's a mixture of a suffix and a shortened version of any name beginning with a certain letter (I don't know if that falls under being nonsensical).

Also need to know if second names count and if not, whose name I should be inheriting, my mum's or my dad's.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rafeeq
12-17-2010, 04:15 PM
You mean second name, the Surname? It should come from your mother in your case, as I understand. Surname could be any name as it indicates your family tree.

If you are refering to second name, (not last name) you may keep any name as you wish with good meanings.

Some times, a name in one sourse has good meanings but in another it does not. Do not worry, if you know what was the source of your name and meanings are good there, stick to it.

Endymion
12-17-2010, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
Asalam alaykum, can anybody here provide certain criteria for having a good name? I was checking the Islam Q&A website and a few things in it made me try to search up for a second opinion on certain criteria it provides because evidence was not provided. However all the search terms I tried on various search engines came up with results that had absolutely nothing to do with how to know if your name is permissible or not.
Salams Amoeba :statisfie

I had the same questions on this issue and i started a thread on this topic on another forum and Alhamdulillah i recieved very logical replies :D
I would like to share what i understand :statisfie
A name is a matter of region not Religion.Its simply a cultural thing.Majority of people thinks that Arabic names are actually Islamic Names but they are not.If you read Islamic history you will come to know that majority of Sahaba's did not change their names which were given to them from their Non-Musslim Parents such as Umar RA,Ali RA,Salman Farsi RA,Bilal RA and so and so.Muhammad SAW just changd those names who sounds Mushrik like he changed the Name of Abu Bakar RA and he was Abdul-Kaaba before Islam.So you just need to know that your name is not Mushrik,anti-Islam etc.

I ask because the meaning for my name is largely unknown (various sources try to suggest the meaning, each one suggesting something different, but nothing certain. I do know however that I was named after a pop song... real tacky I know *shudder*). I
Post your name here (if you like) so we will be able to find out the meaning and decide whether its Mushrik name or just a normal name :statisfie
If you are really worried about what the meaning and not happy with the known meanings,you can simply change your name :statisfie

also would like to know if second names count too?Also, my mum and dad never married, and my dad wasn't an influence in my life. What name is permissible for me to inherit? My mum's or my dad's? Or my step dad's? Neither of them were or are muslim, does that matter?
Yes second name do counts too.No matter your Dad married you Mom or not or he have any influence in your life or not or he is Muslim or not,he is your dad after all and you should write his name with your name.Its a sin to mention some others man's name with your name as Daddy :)

Endymion
12-18-2010, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

5. Using one of the Names of Allaah(swt) as a personal name as that would be blasphemous because we are not Allaah(swt)
Using the name of Allah swt in the same way is blasphemous.Like if a person name himself Al-Ahad then thats a sin.But its ok if you call some one Ahad.That does'nt mean the person claims to be the one :)

Another thing i read today would be intresting to know.An Aalim said that Islam made every human being a complete person whether its a Man or a woman.Its not necessary for a woman to attach the Name of her father before marriage and after marriage,Husband's name.A woman can adopt a complete name for herself like Ayesha Muslimah :)
But in the category of Father's name,you must write the Name of your real Father.Not Grad Parent or step Father :)

Hamza Asadullah
12-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum, A convert to Islam is not obliged to change their name to a muslim name. However, if the non-muslim name has a meaning that is against Islam then selecting a new name would be advisable.

Nabi (sallallah alayhi wa sallam) has mentioned that we will be called by our names and by the names of our fathers on the day of judgement, so we must keep good names. In another hadeeth it is narrated that Nabi (sallallah alayhi wa sallam) use to change those names that were bad. In yet another hadeeth we learn that Nabi (sallallah alayhi wa sallam) use to change those name that had a bad meaning. Nabi (sallallah alayhi wa sallam) personally changed names that had a bad meaning. In light of the above hadeeth we learn that it is of utmost importance that we name our children with good names that have a good meaniing. Also ones name should identify one as a Muslim.

In regards to the naming of children:

It is preferred by the shari'ah that the father or the grandfather in the absence of the latter decides on an honourable and beautiful name for the newborn. The Prophet (May Allah bless him and give him peace) said: ((Verily you will be called on the day of resurrection by your names and the names of your fathers so beautify thy names.)) Abu Dawood. It is sunnah to name a child on the seventh day of its birth before one carries out the 'aqiqah.

The best names as the prophet (May Allah bless him and give him peace) has indicated in a sound hadeeth in Sahih Muslim is, 'Abdullah and 'Abdurrahman, and names similar to it starting with the word 'Abd (slave) such as 'Abdulkhaliq and 'Abdurrazaq and so on. It is also permissible and highly recommended to choose a name from amongst the beautiful names of the Prophets such as Musa and that of the Angles such as Jibreel and Mikaeel (Peace and blessings upon all of them). Our prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: ((Name your children by the names of the Prophets'.)) Abu Dawood, Nasai and others. In another tradition our Prophet (Peace and blessings upon him) said: ((Who so ever names his child Muhammad out of love for me and to attain the barakah there from, he and his child will be in Paradise.)) Musnad Imam Ahmad and others. According to Imam Al Suyuti this hadeeth meets the conditions of a hassan hadeeth.

Then it is makruh (offensive) and disliked by the shari'ah to choose an ugly name for ones child such as, Murrah (bitter), Harb (war) and names of other religions such as Susan, Sonya, Jack etc. It is haram (prohibited) to choose names which Allah alone is known by such as Malik al Muluk which means King of Kings or Al Kabir (the Great One) or Al Hakim (The Wise One or the Law Giver).

A man once came to the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) called Abu Hakam. The prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said onto him: 'Allah is Al Hakim, what do you have of children?' The man replied: 'Suraij, Muslim and 'Adullah.' The prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) then asked him: 'Who is the oldest of them?' The man replied: 'Suraij.' The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) then said: 'You are then Abu Suraij' Abu Dawood.

Finally naming a child Hakim without the particle 'Al' attached to it is acceptable, though the name �Abdul Hakim far accedes the merit of the latter.

Source: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=4387&CATE=335

And Allah alone knows best.

Raidh
02-23-2011, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Asalaamu Alaikum, A convert to Islam is not obliged to change their name to a muslim name. However, if the non-muslim name has a meaning that is against Islam then selecting a new name would be advisable.

Nabi (sallallah alayhi wa sallam) has mentioned that we will be called by our names and by the names of our fathers on the day of judgement, so we must keep good names. In another hadeeth it is narrated that Nabi (sallallah alayhi wa sallam) use to change those names that were bad. In yet another hadeeth we learn that Nabi (sallallah alayhi wa sallam) use to change those name that had a bad meaning. Nabi (sallallah alayhi wa sallam) personally changed names that had a bad meaning. In light of the above hadeeth we learn that it is of utmost importance that we name our children with good names that have a good meaniing. Also ones name should identify one as a Muslim.

In regards to the naming of children:

It is preferred by the shari'ah that the father or the grandfather in the absence of the latter decides on an honourable and beautiful name for the newborn. The Prophet (May Allah bless him and give him peace) said: ((Verily you will be called on the day of resurrection by your names and the names of your fathers so beautify thy names.)) Abu Dawood. It is sunnah to name a child on the seventh day of its birth before one carries out the 'aqiqah.

The best names as the prophet (May Allah bless him and give him peace) has indicated in a sound hadeeth in Sahih Muslim is, 'Abdullah and 'Abdurrahman, and names similar to it starting with the word 'Abd (slave) such as 'Abdulkhaliq and 'Abdurrazaq and so on. It is also permissible and highly recommended to choose a name from amongst the beautiful names of the Prophets such as Musa and that of the Angles such as Jibreel and Mikaeel (Peace and blessings upon all of them). Our prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: ((Name your children by the names of the Prophets'.)) Abu Dawood, Nasai and others. In another tradition our Prophet (Peace and blessings upon him) said: ((Who so ever names his child Muhammad out of love for me and to attain the barakah there from, he and his child will be in Paradise.)) Musnad Imam Ahmad and others. According to Imam Al Suyuti this hadeeth meets the conditions of a hassan hadeeth.

Then it is makruh (offensive) and disliked by the shari'ah to choose an ugly name for ones child such as, Murrah (bitter), Harb (war) and names of other religions such as Susan, Sonya, Jack etc. It is haram (prohibited) to choose names which Allah alone is known by such as Malik al Muluk which means King of Kings or Al Kabir (the Great One) or Al Hakim (The Wise One or the Law Giver).

A man once came to the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) called Abu Hakam. The prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said onto him: 'Allah is Al Hakim, what do you have of children?' The man replied: 'Suraij, Muslim and 'Adullah.' The prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) then asked him: 'Who is the oldest of them?' The man replied: 'Suraij.' The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) then said: 'You are then Abu Suraij' Abu Dawood.

Finally naming a child Hakim without the particle 'Al' attached to it is acceptable, though the name �Abdul Hakim far accedes the merit of the latter.

And Allah alone knows best.

Hi, would like to comment that some people say that naming a child by the name of a higher being such as Angels is not good because it is made clear in Islam that no human is perfect and giving a human the name of a being close to perfection may be makruh.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!