/* */

PDA

View Full Version : DM Digital programme

nature
12-20-2010, 11:47 AM
:sl:

Does anyone have the DM digital channel ?

Theres a programme on there: Sitaray Kya Kehte Hain basically its sumthing to do with the stars. I caught a little of this ysday whilst watching it with a relative.

People ring in, give their names/dob/place of birth, some guy taps it into a laptop and scientifically comes up with an indepth answer.

he tells you what colours to avoid/wear
what birthstone to wear
what to read on which days etc
& gives you false hope (IMO)

am i right in thinking this is like fortune telling ? cos there using the stars and not permissable ? does watching these programmes get classed as sin ? even if we dont believe in it ?

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
12-23-2010, 07:04 PM

In answer to your first two questions at the end, yes, and yes.

There is a hadeeth that says that approaching a fortuneteller and asking him about something carries the punishment of one's salaat not being accepted for 40 days and 40 nights. (Narrated by Safiyyah from Hafsah and recorded in Saheeh Muslim, English Trans, vol 4, p 1211, no 5540). This is simply for asking out of curiousity and even if you don't believe in it.

Visiting without asking anything is also forbidden. Mu'aawiyah ibn al-Hakam as-Salamee said, "O Messenger of Allah, verily there are some people among us who visit oracles. The Prophet :saws: replied, "Do not go to them." (ibid, p1209 no 5532). The reason is that this can be the first step to belief in it. Now that you know what's in the programme, there's no need for you to watch it any more.

I don't know the definitive answers to 3 and 4, but it seems to be yes and yes. The Fundamentals of Tawheed by Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips states in the fortunetelling chapter, that reading horoscopes, reading the books and writings of fortune tellers, listening to them on the radio and watchng them on TV are included in the rulings by qiyaas (analogy), as these are the most common means used by 20th century fortunetellers to spread their predictions. Regardless, it is definitely better to keep away from these types of programmes and not to watch them.

And Allah knows best in all matters.

nature
12-24-2010, 08:38 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
There is a hadeeth that says that approaching a fortuneteller and asking him about something carries the punishment of one's salaat not being accepted for 40 days and 40 nights. (Narrated by Safiyyah from Hafsah and recorded in Saheeh Muslim, English Trans, vol 4, p 1211, no 5540). This is simply for asking out of curiousity and even if you don't believe in it.
Jazakhallah. I didnt think it was permissable, unfortuanately this sort of stuff is so widespread throughout the asian communities.

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
Now that you know what's in the programme, there's no need for you to watch it any more.
I was watching it with a relative, who was adamant that its ok 2 watch, out of curiosity, i listened to what these blokes had to say. I'll try and pass the above info on, now that i know.

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!